• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT| Pumpin' Iron and Spittin' Blood.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I’ve been doing cbd for recovery for about 2 weeks in a row I think. Initially I think it’s very relaxing so it is nice after a strenuous workout. I don’t think it’s a game changer there.

Taken prior to sleep and I get the best sleep I’ve ever had and better sleep helps with recovery so there’s that.

I’ll likely keep it going into month 2 and then go without to see if there are noticeable changes.

I bought 2 bottles, 1 @1000mg / day and 1 @ 1500mg / day. Both require 2 doses during the day. Started w/ 1000mg and will switch over once it is gone.

Interesting experiment whatever happens. The wife did get some positive effects when she had an optical migraine last week.

quickwhips

I probably should, but I actually like the cold when lifting. Much more so than warm weather. I'm one of those types that overheats and sweats at the drop of a hat, so you can imagine how much of a mess I am in the summer when exercising. :messenger_grinning_smiling:
I bought a cannon heater with kerosene for my garage. I put a amazon smart plug on it and fire it up 20 minutes before I go out to work out. It's about 33 degrees otherwise.

Kazza

This week:
78.3kg/172lb (-1.8kg/4lb)
Waist: 33.75 inches ( -0.25)

I finally smashed past the 80kg milestone!

tenor.gif

Hopefully, at some point next year I'll pass it again, only this time due to gaining muscle rather than losing fat :messenger_bicep: 💪 :messenger_bicep: 💪 :messenger_bicep: 💪

This week:
78kg (-0.3kg)
33.75 inches (no change)

I kept to my usual 4 days fasting, 3 days eating routine, but the Christmas period treats have snuck their way into my diet a little, plus I missed a couple of exercise days. That probably explains the lacklustre results this week. Next week is Christmas week, so I'll allow myself to indulge and eat whatever I want, but I'll still keep up the yoga/running/bodyweight exercises (I don't feel right now unless I work up a sweat at least once a day).

I'm interested in seeing what kind of damage the Christmas week will have done to me when checking in next Sunday :messenger_grimmacing_

Kazza

"Funny thing", I usually have dairy products without any consequences, however, a week after I started having whey protein I noticed a huge discomfort in my stomach, it started mildly but then it got serious to the point I couldn't eat anything else that day. So I might be lactose intolerant after all. Plant based could be an option but that shit is too expensive here.

I experienced a lot of bloat this week. It's happening much more often than I would like and I think I'm going to have to start experimenting to narrow down what is causing it. I thought it might be sugar, but I cut out all sweet stuff from my diet for over 2 weeks, and still experienced some bloat. Broccoli is a prime suspect, but I've been reluctant to eliminate it from my diet as it is supposed to be super healthy. Milk and other dairy is another prime suspect.

TTOOLL

I experienced a lot of bloat this week. It's happening much more often than I would like and I think I'm going to have to start experimenting to narrow down what is causing it. I thought it might be sugar, but I cut out all sweet stuff from my diet for over 2 weeks, and still experienced some bloat. Broccoli is a prime suspect, but I've been reluctant to eliminate it from my diet as it is supposed to be super healthy. Milk and other dairy is another prime suspect.

I don’t know about broccoli, never heard of anybody who had problems with it. Dairy on the other hand...

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
What exactly do you get for your money? And does it do anything for your non-wanking arm?

Well there's no money exchange as it's a trial. It's a fitness video series that varies depending on the type, duration, and music. It integrates w/ the Watch. If you're interested there are some good videos out there explaining the service.

Basically, it's for money with disposable income who want external motivation during their workouts. It targets 2 motivators: social and awards/recognition. Both work for me, so it's nice having these used to push me harder than I otherwise would go on my own.

Results may vary of course, and my initial impressions are based on 1 day alone. The trial lasts 30 days so I will form a better opinion over the next few weeks.

Interesting. Anyone else here have problems with dairy?

Never had a problem with it, but I've been drinking it my whole life. I have read that it is like a peanut allergy, that as long as you're exposed to it as a kid, your tolerance is much higher. But, I've also read that the tolerance for lactose in general is 50%, despite childhood exposure. So who the hell knows what's actually factual. It may depends as well on whether or not the dairy is pasteurized, fat content, etc.

I'm grateful as milk is like one of the healthiest items you can consume. I eat a lot of cheese as well (one of life's great culinary pleasures, imo).

Last edited:
Interesting. Anyone else here have problems with dairy?
Any kind of food sensitivity can do it, really, but there are some foods that can cause bloating, like cruciferous veggies (e.g., broccoli, cabbage) and legumes, for most anyone (some more so than others). For me, I have a gluten sensitivity that won't make me sick-sick, but it'll make me feel bloated and gross.

Jasonadream

From what I know, it’s more difficult for the human body to digest dairy product as it ages due to the small intestine producing less lactase enzyme; which breaks down diary.

Lots of people take lactase enzymes pills before they have their dairy product but I’ve just lowered my consumption of dairy and limit it to cheese,I haven’t had whole milk by itself in ages, I think close to 4 years now.

I’ve just replaced milk with calcium/magnesium vitamins.

quickwhips

Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, and sulphur dioxide can be emitted from improper use of kerosene heaters. These fumes become toxic in large quantities and put vulnerable individuals at risk, such as pregnant women, asthmatics, people with cardiovascular disease, the elderly, and young children.

I should be fine. My garage is 50×40 with 16 foot ceilings.

Last edited:

quickwhips

I took off the weekend as my dad came from out of state and it was difficult to find time. I started today and I felt like crap but once I hit the 1 mile mark running I felt so much better. I was worried I wouldn't feel motivated. I had Jocko talking in my ear and it was the end of his last podcast. He said "Thank you for getting after it." How could I not after all that motivation? I hit the weights after running and then did some dips and pull ups with a band to help. It felt great. teezzy teezzy and Tesseract Tesseract how are both of you doing?

Btw my Dad butchered one of his cows and gave me half for Christmas. So much meat for my keto diet. I'm going to start that in January.

teezzy

Banned
I'm feeling better than i have in a long while. Did some pull ups and push ups today.

Mostly concentrated on work since my numbers have dipped in recent months and i cant let that slip

super excited for my new car; diet is perfect at this point; enjoying my bread and my tuna too lol

TTOOLL

I'm feeling better than i have in a long while. Did some pull ups and push ups today.

Mostly concentrated on work since my numbers have dipped in recent months and i cant let that slip

super excited for my new car; diet is perfect at this point; enjoying my bread and my tuna too lol

Dude, wtf, I just got a new car too lol. Sold mine yesterday and I’ll probably get the new one today. It feels good, doesn’t it??

CAB_Life

Take your crudiferous vegetables with something buffering like a bit of sweet potato. Also make sure to eat them more cooked/ heavily steamed then raw. Broccoli is also majorly delicious when baked in the oven with a drizzle of olive oil and sea salt and addresses the gas issue.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Having trouble getting motivated this week. Partly because it's an "off cycle" where I break from my normal routine and try out some other exercises and recover a bit, partly because I started prepping my workout room to paint and it's a mess now, but I think the holidays are my biggest excuse. I hear so many friends and coworkers talking about taking it easy, eating like crap, and just enjoying life and sometime I just get lazy and want to be ""normal" too.

Had a decent morning workout yesterday and a killer lunch workout, but decided to move some shelves and do chores last night instead of exercise. And this morning I didn't even try to fool myself into thinking I'd exercise. I just stayed in bed a bit later, walked the dog, then started working. I'll do a lite lunch workout today and continue prepping my room to paint this evening, but I feel so damn guilty about skipping my regular workouts I just wanted to come and whine about it for a moment.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Having trouble getting motivated this week. Partly because it's an "off cycle" where I break from my normal routine and try out some other exercises and recover a bit, partly because I started prepping my workout room to paint and it's a mess now, but I think the holidays are my biggest excuse. I hear so many friends and coworkers talking about taking it easy, eating like crap, and just enjoying life and sometime I just get lazy and want to be ""normal" too.

Had a decent morning workout yesterday and a killer lunch workout, but decided to move some shelves and do chores last night instead of exercise. And this morning I didn't even try to fool myself into thinking I'd exercise. I just stayed in bed a bit later, walked the dog, then started working. I'll do a lite lunch workout today and continue prepping my room to paint this evening, but I feel so damn guilty about skipping my regular workouts I just wanted to come and whine about it for a moment.
10 second rule is what I use. If I'm not feeling it or am hesitant at all I'll just have it in my mind that in 10 seconds I'm going to start preparing for my training. And then train. Toughest thing is always committing in your mind. And then starting your workout. But once you begin, it's fun and you reap the countless benefits exercise has in your life. Even a terrible workout is better than no work out at all, as long as you don't injure yourself

Last edited:

My reasons for skipping a workout are quite inventive and convincing.
I'm almost always able to overcome my excuses and prevail.
We'll see what today brings.

kXr5376.gif

Last edited:

Kazza

This week:
78kg (-0.3kg)
33.75 inches (no change)

I kept to my usual 4 days fasting, 3 days eating routine, but the Christmas period treats have snuck their way into my diet a little, plus I missed a couple of exercise days. That probably explains the lacklustre results this week. Next week is Christmas week, so I'll allow myself to indulge and eat whatever I want, but I'll still keep up the yoga/running/bodyweight exercises (I don't feel right now unless I work up a sweat at least once a day).

I'm interested in seeing what kind of damage the Christmas week will have done to me when checking in next Sunday :messenger_grimmacing_

So, in the end I decided to just kick back this week, no fasting or exercise (except for a few walks around the park), just lots of turkey, alcohol, chocolate etc. Let's see how it all affected my stats. It was just a week, can't be too bad, right?

83.8kg/184.7lb (+5.8kg/12.8lb)
34.25 inches (+0.5 inches)

FemaleTornAustralianfreshwatercrocodile-max-1mb.gif

Tomorrow I reopen the fat-burning furnace!

AnyBlankBangeltiger-max-1mb.gif

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, and sulphur dioxide can be emitted from improper use of kerosene heaters. These fumes become toxic in large quantities and put vulnerable individuals at risk, such as pregnant women, asthmatics, people with cardiovascular disease, the elderly, and young children.

I should be fine. My garage is 50×40 with 16 foot ceilings.

In the UK we call that a house.

Jasonadream

Its been a while since i checked in.

Its been kettle bells, pull ups and dips for close to 5 weeks now and i haven’t done my beloved deadlifts in that period.
Gave the whole kettlebell deadlift a go to condition myself back in.. ended up tweaking my lower back as a result.

The pain was unreal, a kin to snubbing both toes on a table leg, listening to your friend talk about how becoming a vegan has changed their lives and burning your mouth to lava temperature coffee.

The pain completely immobilized me for the rest of the day so i took a nap and woke up to buy some more kettlebells.
I guess I’m Russian now comrades.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Stopped running back in August due to lifting + running was killing my knees and legs. Blood pressure has slowly crept back to not ideal levels, yay genetics. Started easing myself into running yesterday and boy howdy do you lose cardio ability quickly.

Yeah it drops off fast. Btw if knees and legs are an issue you might find cycling is a better option. Certainly I'm thinking of alternating once I get back home - my knees and my hips cause me some issues so it seems a wise choice.

Yeah it drops off fast. Btw if knees and legs are an issue you might find cycling is a better option. Certainly I'm thinking of alternating once I get back home - my knees and my hips cause me some issues so it seems a wise choice.
Yeah, this is my last attempt at running before I admit I'm old and have to switch it up. I've always enjoyed running though, so I'm being a bit stubborn about it.

sit ups and crunches between games of apex
Reminds me... I had a 'workout' where, back in the day, I'd do sit-ups/crunches/pushups in between turns while playing TW: Warhammer 2. They eventually released a patch that greatly shortened turn times, but it used to be you had a couple minutes of down time every turn. I'd do all my stuff, hit end turn, then pound out as many as I could until my turn came back up. Doing that for a 2hr play session was exhausting, but effective. Lol

Edit: Should add that this was also in addition to my regular free-weight workouts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom