• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT| Pumpin' Iron and Spittin' Blood.

Tesseract

Banned
big brain savagery = makeshift sling, ice, and rest

took the rest of the week off, no work or nutting

giphy.gif

0fac02589f0c5d18947f533983cb7020033c8a92_hq.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Trained with a Pre-Workout supplement after a long ass time yesterday. Sooooooo good. Although my shoulder is sore again now, it was worth it. Off day anyway today.
Feel so stupid for stopping to take pre owrkout supplements. Never again.

Finally fixed my Digestion issues for good it seems. It was the oats. Raw oats in the morning never gain. Always dip them in milk and leave em in the frige overnight.

bronk

Banned
On day 38 in a row of hard lifting and running. I'm not gonna lie its getting tough. Well I think I made it tougher on myself drinking way past midnight 3 days in a row. Gonna take a lil break from that. Don't wanna stop the progress. I want to do at least 60 just as a personal goal. Im not working very much because of Coronavirus affecting my job so I'm trying to make most of my free time and doing doubles and playing softball 4 days a week as well. I'm at heart a lazy fucking shithead. If I can anyone can. Stay hard bros.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm 6 days into kettlebell stuff. I'm getting into the swing of it, you might say.
jU570fSTMucYUKyohxNC1g.png

These are tough exercises for me.

I'm only doing swings, cleans, Turkish getups, and overhead presses (will eventually trade for full snatches) yet these are more than enough to wear me out after 20m. I'm impressed by how quickly it gets my heart-rate soaring. Dat cardio. I can definitely feel it in my abs and hips.

I will stick with it. I was hoping for a super-simple workout routine using minimal equipment and I think I found it.

I'm 6 days into kettlebell stuff. I'm getting into the swing of it, you might say.
jU570fSTMucYUKyohxNC1g.png

These are tough exercises for me.

I'm only doing swings, cleans, Turkish getups, and overhead presses (will eventually trade for full snatches) yet these are more than enough to wear me out after 20m. I'm impressed by how quickly it gets my heart-rate soaring. Dat cardio. I can definitely feel it in my abs and hips.

I will stick with it. I was hoping for a super-simple workout routine using minimal equipment and I think I found it.

Did you order your set online? I have been interested in kettlebells for a while but a couple of them is an investment so I want to make sure I get the right weight and such. You've got me intrigued!

autoduelist

Who‘d guess kettlebell exercises could be this exhausting....

Did 3 intense sets of reverse lunges and snatches today and barely made it through the rest of my training without throwing up. Loved it. Can‘t wait to do it again.

Feels great to finally be able to go all in during my training. Injuries suck balls. Thanks god for Athlean X and his videos. If you guys don‘t know it, check it out. Greatest channel on YT. Helped me tons to get my shoulder and knee issues under control. Dude is legit.

Kettleballs can help knees? I take it so easy on my knees to make sure i don't injure them, but they are forever sore.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Kettleballs can help knees? I take it so easy on my knees to make sure i don't injure them, but they are forever sore.
Knee pain can be very complex as there are million things that can cause it. I realized that I'm searching the problem at the wrong place. It wasn't my knee. It's acutally my foot that's causing all the hassle. I've had flat feet since I was little and that is a real killer when it comes to leg training if you don't pay extra care about this. I didn't always have these problems for some reason (I think I just used to have better fitting shoes a few years back) as it only got real bad in the last year or so.

I largely fixed my issues with a) Arthrobonum (seriously the joint supplement you can buy for money, well worth the investment!!) and b) Training in sneakers with a harder Joint and c) paying extra attention to shift the load on the outside of my foot whenever I squat so my knee and ankle don't bend inside.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Did you order your set online? I have been interested in kettlebells for a while but a couple of them is an investment so I want to make sure I get the right weight and such. You've got me intrigued!
Yeah I ordered a single 16 kg / 35lb and that's all I need so far. Even cheaper than my adjustable hand-barbell set. The material I've read indicates that one should "master" a single kettlebell of a single weight, to increase reps as time goes on, and then to make a big jump to the next weight.

autoduelist

Knee pain can be very complex as there are million things that can cause it. I realized that I'm searching the problem at the wrong place. It wasn't my knee. It's acutally my foot that's causing all the hassle. I've had flat feet since I was little and that is a real killer when it comes to leg training if you don't pay extra care about this. I didn't always have these problems for some reason (I think I just used to have better fitting shoes a few years back) as it only got real bad in the last year or so.

I largely fixed my issues with a) Arthrobonum (seriously the joint supplement you can buy for money, well worth the investment!!) and b) Training in sneakers with a harder Joint and c) paying extra attention to shift the load on the outside of my foot whenever I squat so my knee and ankle don't bend inside.

I've been taking glucosamine for my knees, and more recently added fermented tumeric. I noticed an improvement from both. My knees are constantly sore [from exercise, jogging, life, etc.], but i take it really easy on them [low impact, avoiding pure squats] for fear of injury that puts one out of commission. I can't really explain the issue - they are always sort of crackly [I hear it just sitting down], for lack of a better description, i always just assume it's my cartilage telling me to fuck off - i've hurt them before where they start 'clicking' when i move and hurt like hell. [Shit descriptions, lol]. I figure if I did squats I would build support muscle to lessen stress... but risk hurting them and i'm not sure it is worth the risk.

I will look into arthrobonum. And get a kettleball, that sounds worthwhile, and also something easy to incorporate that adds new movements.

Last edited:
this stupid corona is fucking up my life

push ups and elliptical, join me if ye want

My corona anxiety is winning so far. the worst part is that I know running/exercise is the best way to relieve this stress but its also a brick wall at times that I just can't get past. Hopefully my ass catches fire soon and I can get moving.

Stay strong brother. Seeing your posts everyday inspires me even if I don't always take action.

TTOOLL

this stupid corona is fucking up my life

push ups and elliptical, join me if ye want

GREAT mix, thanks!!

So, running update!

Did some interval training yesterday and today I started my Half Marathon training program from Garmin. It looks pretty good, but let's see in practice.

The first workout was a benchmark run. 2min warm-up, 5min running strong and 2min cooldown. I ended up beating my previous 1km record, it was 4:07 and now it's 3:55! I'm really happy but I felt like I could have gone faster! Maybe another day!

Tomorrow the program brings some interval hill training. Well-done stuff, I highly recommend Garmin products.

My profile, just in case

Last edited:
11:06 PM EST (threaded)

got a lot on my mind, gonna be up late

running through florida country again, it's eerie but unbelievably peaceful

Late night/early morning runs are the fucking best. I haven't done one in a while now. Years ago I would run late night at least once a week. I hope it was a great run!

Tesseract

Banned
Late night/early morning runs are the fucking best. I haven't done one in a while now. Years ago I would run late night at least once a week. I hope it was a great run!

it was incredible, you really feel nature come alive at night

water fasting, b12 injection into buttocks, l-c supple, caffeine loaded -->

elliptical for an hour starting now

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Looks like that kettlebell arrived at the perfect time. My wife was jealous, so we got a 20 lb one and she's going through even more exercises than I am :messenger_fearful:

Deep breathing. Fasting. Kettlebells. Cold training. Shmups. I strive to make Coronalockdown beneficial for my body, mind, and soul.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just think, when you stumble out of your abode post-quarantine, you'll have lots of loose skin to fill with muscle. Always look on the bright side!
With all due respect mate.... Fuck you! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Seriously, I don‘t get it. We all have a log in card in my gym, so I told the dude there it‘s my business if I take the risk. Nope, still having a full closure. Bullshit right there.

autoduelist

With all due respect mate.... Fuck you! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Seriously, I don‘t get it. We all have a log in card in my gym, so I told the dude there it‘s my business if I take the risk. Nope, still having a full closure. Bullshit right there.

Honestly, it's for the best as long as it's a voluntary closure. I absolutely agree it's your choice to go, but it's their choice to close. My son's jujitsu gym closed too, and as much as it stinks and i hope they aren't crippled financially... reducing spread is essentially a patriotic duty at this point.

Home workouts for all! Do you even pushup?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I've moved up from two-handed swings to one-handed alternating swings with the kettlebell. Getting more consistent form with the cleans. I practiced some snatches (clean + overhead press in one movement) with the lighter 20lb kettlebel last nightl. Just did some w the 35 lb... brutal :messenger_dizzy:

I'm about to be working from home during most of the week. I can check the work queue, say Hi on GAF, and fit in a quick 3m set of swings or cleans or snatches. It's intense enough to get my heart rate up, but not so heavy that I feel too sore to do more sets throughout the day. Cardio + muscle training using a single lump of iron is impressive. I feel as though I'm increasing my springy energy.

My goal for this upcoming week is to do 10m of sustained kettlebell exercises, apart from individual sets I sneak in throughout the day. Then I'll work my way up to a sustained 20m.

I'm a complete newcomer to the kettlebell stuff, so if any of you have used them before I'm open to things you've heard or advice you can offer.

Oh and since Tesseract Tesseract set the tradition, here's what I'm exercising to

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Given the coronavirus situation I've suspended my efforts at losing weight - I may need the bodyfat. With the man-cave out of action I'm resorting to keeping the rowing up and doing push-ups etc to keep building strength. Interesting times.

rykomatsu

Trying to use COVID-19 as an excuse to set up a barbell rig / setup at home and am looking for some advice - garage isn't an option.
  • I tend to drop weighted barbells doing deadlifts (335lb), cleans (155lb), and snatch/jerks (155lb).
  • My home is 100% tiled and I do not want to crack the tile when dropping, or the wife will kill me
Would putting a layer of horse stall mats on top of the tile be sufficient for something like this? I'd prefer not to set up a rig on the covered patio outside...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Trying to use COVID-19 as an excuse to set up a barbell rig / setup at home and am looking for some advice - garage isn't an option.
  • I tend to drop weighted barbells doing deadlifts (335lb), cleans (155lb), and snatch/jerks (155lb).
  • My home is 100% tiled and I do not want to crack the tile when dropping, or the wife will kill me
Would putting a layer of horse stall mats on top of the tile be sufficient for something like this? I'd prefer not to set up a rig on the covered patio outside...

Are you using bumper plates?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Alright, just completed my first outdoor workout. Full body. 3 sets for each muscle group. Not much but better than nothing.

Why is it that always when you do pull ups some old guy comes up and says you‘re doing it wrong? Like, I know I ain‘t doing the full length old man. That‘s because I usually don‘t do bodyweight exercises in the gym and would rather do deadlifts. But alas, I‘m stuck with simple pull ups.

rykomatsu

In the meanwhile while I'm figuring out the barbell situation, I'm tempted to get a pair of adjustable dumbbells...

Anyone have experience with the bowflex SelectTech or Powerblocks? It seems like the rods going across the powerblock between the plates might get a little in the way? Not cheap, but $330 sure beats $900 for a set of dumbbells to 50lb and a rack...

I don't know what selectech is but a long time ago I bought a bowflex machine. It took up a lot of space and I don't think it was accurate. I could lift max weight most of the exercises on it within a week or two and I wasn't that strong. They may be better now but the one I got back in the day was crap and I sold it and bought dumb bells that were less than half the weight I was supposedly lifting with bowflex and got a better workout.

Last edited:
Top Bottom