• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT| Pumpin' Iron and Spittin' Blood.

highrider

Banned
Yeah you’re right. I was mostly running

Also at maximum speed I’m VERY fast. Pre-ACL I used to hit insane top speed while running. After ACL I got shattered because the most thing I enjoyed in this life was taken from me. I bounced back now though. Two years late but I did it

rFdKaZf.png

I could use some input

I weighed in Saturday morning and I expected to eclipse my goal of 224lbs (was 225.6 the prior Saturday, down from 229.7 when I started 3 weeks ago). I feel a little thinner, my clothes are a little looser, I keep adding a little bit to my there cardio sessions a day, no days off, no cheat meals.

When I weighed in two days ago I was exactly the same weight as the weigh-in before. 225.6 on the dot. I was shocked. I would have bet money that I was closer to 223 than 225.

Seems like the obvious conclusion is I’m eating too much, but my diet has been the same throughout. I eat 4 small meals a day, around 400 calories each, around 1600-1700 calories a day. I’m 6’3, 225, that doesn’t seem like a glaring calorie surplus, does it? Sure, outside of my little workout sessions my lifestyle is still pretty sedentary, but I still feel like I don’t eat a lot. Guess I should just try eating a little less with each meal?

Something is wrong there. At 6 ft 3, 225 lbs, and 1600-1700 calories a day you should definitely be in a deficit. I'm a keto guy myself, but a "normal" diet at a deficit should yield the results you're after. Anytime I've cut, I could almost feel the fat burning off me, like my body saying to me "What the fuck? hello? we need more calories over here." And of course, it would impact my lifts. Do you feel hunger pangs?

Maybe eagle eye the calories just to be sure.

Last edited:
I could use some input

I weighed in Saturday morning and I expected to eclipse my goal of 224lbs (was 225.6 the prior Saturday, down from 229.7 when I started 3 weeks ago). I feel a little thinner, my clothes are a little looser, I keep adding a little bit to my there cardio sessions a day, no days off, no cheat meals.

When I weighed in two days ago I was exactly the same weight as the weigh-in before. 225.6 on the dot. I was shocked. I would have bet money that I was closer to 223 than 225.

Seems like the obvious conclusion is I’m eating too much, but my diet has been the same throughout. I eat 4 small meals a day, around 400 calories each, around 1600-1700 calories a day. I’m 6’3, 225, that doesn’t seem like a glaring calorie surplus, does it? Sure, outside of my little workout sessions my lifestyle is still pretty sedentary, but I still feel like I don’t eat a lot. Guess I should just try eating a little less with each meal?
Take heart Chunk. I see this all the time. There are many, many reasons and it would be hard for any of us to help you without an in depth discussion and possibly observation of your workout.

But one thing I would guess, since you've just now started working out, your body is going to be diverting tons of energy to repair. Thing is, it's probably trying to pull from your fat reserves right now for that energy. So your body might be trying to create more of those same reserves. It will do this until you have enough lean muscles which are primed to burn fat very efficiently. So you need to be careful not to run too much in the beginning because as you burn fat, it triggers the visceral fat in your body. That fat releases adipokines which directly attack lean muscle. Those adipokines may be causing that lean muscle to develop slowly or to even degrade, especially in the areas you aren't working out. Most certainly, they are causing inflammation which will lead to stress, which will lead to less progress overall. This is one of the many reasons I always encourage people to take it slow or just not go crazy on the cardio through running alone when starting out. Cultivating and activating as much lean, fat burning muscle in as many areas as possible is key. Not just your legs.

ALSO and equally important. Learn the differences between healthy brown adipose (fat) and white adipose. I personally use the Wim Hof method to cultivate more brown adipose. Which has helped immensely with my energy reserves. Among other benefits.

So, one of the differences between white and brown adipose is the density of capillaries. In fact, it's important to understand that the way we burn fat at all is due fat burning enzymes... But how do we get those enzymes to the fat? Through circulation.

R5YBRM8.jpg

Here you can see that brown tissue has MANY more capillaries than white tissue. In fact, sometimes it gets even worse for problematic white Adipose. So it could just be that the fat that you are trying to burn off right now is being stubborn because of lack of circulation in those areas.

Ultimately, my advice, would be to not worry so much about the calories and what not. And I also wouldn't be getting worried just yet at perceived lack of progress unless you are seeing other adverse effects. Just find a good diet, stick to it and know that you are eating healthy foods and what that means for your body. (your body will only be as good as the materials you give it) Make sure you are getting a great all round workout (personally I would start with a body weight routine) and you will start to build the vasculature and lean muscles that you need to burn that fat. It's also really important to stay as stress free as possible on your journey to better health. Focus on all the positives while being mindful of any possible issues which may show up as you go through this process. This process is different for everyone. There is not a one size fits all method. Take heart and carry on champion.

Also, from my wife who knows way more than me about this, quality of calories generally matters MUCH more than quantity.

Last edited:

God Enel

going hard tonight, lots of mat work on various stabilizers, whim hof, shadow boxing, reaction ball, grip strength

finally got a bunch of level design ahead of me, honestly one of my favorite things in life

I bought a reaction ball a couple of days ago. First day it was horrible dude. I missed like every single hit. The progressions you make are absolutely insane and fast. Doing it 10 minutes every day and I’m still moving forward. It’s a lot of fun to use :)

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
How do you folks structure your workout routines? I am on a 1-week cycle, working out everyday, never to exhaustion, 8-15 reps, increasing reps and sets each day until peak day on Friday. Then I drop off into lower weights / lower reps over the weekend. That's the beginning and end of any "structure" or "routine" I use.

Are you trying to target muscle groups and then puzzle out the specific exercises and reps needed to hit those groups?

How do you folks structure your workout routines? I am on a 1-week cycle, working out everyday, never to exhaustion, 8-15 reps, increasing reps and sets each day until peak day on Friday. Then I drop off into lower weights / lower reps over the weekend. That's the beginning and end of any "structure" or "routine" I use.

Are you trying to target muscle groups and then puzzle out the specific exercises and reps needed to hit those groups?

I'm doing a Push/Pull/Leg day with compound lifts as my main focus. Rep range for compounds between 5 and 8 reps.
Sometimes my Push/Pull/Leg day is back to back with another PPL day, and sometimes I take a rest day in between.
An important factor is recovery - rest, nutrition, steroids? They can all factor how hard, how long, and how often you can work out a muscle.
It was mentioned a short while ago about doing a pushup challenge, 100s of pushups, basically everyday for a month. For me, I don't think I could hit a muscle group that often and have proper recovery due to my age. Interesting though.

SpiceRacz

My structure is chest/arms, legs, shoulders/back. Alternating each day. This includes compound and isolation exercises. I lift to failure every time. If I have an injury, I work around it. Sometimes my sessions go as long as 90-120 minutes. I might go 3 days on, 1/2 days off, depending how I'm feeling or no days off. My mindset has always been if I'm not going my hardest then I'm wasting my fucking time. It's not the healthiest approach. It's caused me injuries, but I've also had great results.

Sometimes my sessions go as long as 90-120 minutes.

This is something I'm still trying to fine tune.

Years ago I heard someone call it weight training except it was "wait" training. As in, stop rushing your sets, take time in between. While I love lifting, I'm naturally restless, so I end up not taking enough of a break in between sets.

My first goal is strength (more so than bodybuilding), so more rest between sets is preferred.
Dudes doing 1 RM going for personal bests can take up to 10 minutes between sets. Crazy, but I can see the rational.

SpiceRacz

This is something I'm still trying to fine tune.

Years ago I heard someone call it weight training except it was "wait" training. As in, stop rushing your sets, take time in between. While I love lifting, I'm naturally restless, so I end up not taking enough of a break in between sets.

My first goal is strength (more so than bodybuilding), so more rest between sets is preferred.
Dudes doing 1 RM going for personal bests can take up to 10 minutes between sets. Crazy, but I can see the rational.

Yea that's way too long of a rest for me. I wait 2 minutes max between sets.

Finally reporting in.

Man, yesterday was rough. My arms where sore all week from last time. It was only really bad that day I messed up and overused my arm and got a really bad nerve shock. But the day before yesterday I felt pretty good. Still didn't use my arms though, or do any kind of workout, like I was told. My friend also told me that he didn't expect me to be able to even get past the warm up, because he couldn't his second time. He couldn't even hold onto the "grip" training device.

So I came in determined to at least get through the warmup...

giphy.gif

I did. I felt great.

I started a couple matches... Got driven right through, over and over and over again by Samson (Mr. Staples youngest son, smallest guy in the room, the one that's a super human "stick")... Only felt a little sore at first, but man did I feel weak. Much weaker than the first practice. I was told this was normal by literally every one there and to expect this for the next couple weeks. Started feeling the throb come back to my arms...

Took a break. Jumped on the dumbbells... Nope. Not even one flipping rep. Felt a jolt. Put them down.

Samson just got done wrecking the dude that took my place... Spots open. I'm up again.... Ouch. Pain. Oh boy. Round after round. But I fought through it. Focused on form. Breathing. Trying to remember everything I learned. Mr. staples oldest son (Ranked 10th in the nation for his weight class...) was watching and he made a remark that he can't wait till they get us in our first tournament. THAT made me feel great... Don't even know how many rounds till I stopped with Samson...

Arms where throbbing like crazy. Was about to ask if that was normal and ok to practice through... When Mr. Staple comes over and tells me to try out Al, that he wanted me to "feel" him on the table... Al btw is basically an 18 year old Hulk. 340+ pounds... But of thick muscle. Champion Wrestler and the only person who has given Mr. Staple a run for his money... while untrained... We don't skip anyone here because of weight class while training. Everyone is expected to take it easy on newcomers though. "We don't play games around here" is what Mr. Staple would say with a crazy look in his eye...

So I hobble up to teenage Hulk and try to gather myself. Kind of hard to think right now through the throbbing. Mr. Staple see's that I'm in pain before I even say anything and says it's normal. And then Hulk says, "We all went through that man. It'll take a while but in time it will get better." Then all the guys in the room looked over and said, "Welcome to Arm Wrestling!"

I then explained that I have a pretty high pain tolerance and that it in fact almost got me killed once during my pancreatitis since I didn't tell them the right pain level when they asked so they didn't think the issue was as severe as it should be so I was just wondering what is normal to push through. They all understood and he left it up to me to decide. So I pulled myself together and posted up...

Holy crap. It was like grasping a catchers mitt... attached to a robot. Mr. Staple was like, "Yep, that's what we call a bear paw. Now Al take it easy on him. Make him work each end of the table and work on his technique." He said. "Ready? Go! Pull! Pull! Pull! Use your legs they're there for a reason! -POKE- Tighten this muscle! -POKE- Tighten this one too! Come on Pull!" Good Lord I gave it all I had but I felt like my arm wasn't even doing anything with the way my nerves where pulsating. "Yes! That's it!" said Mr. Staple. "Now stay tight and take him!" (Mr. Staple lowers his voice in Al's direction and says, "Al let him take you slow but make him fight for it.") "Now peal his hand back and top roll! Roll! Roll! -POKE- Use your legs! Haven't you ever Indian wrestled?! -POKE- Use your lats! Keep it tight!"

We did this for both sides several times on both sides of the table, pinned and pinning, till we stopped... Because my arms stopped obeying me. Literally lost all strength. Couldn't even open a water bottle. Felt like I was going to throw up.

But I did it.

x-men-days-future-past-wolverine-hugh-jackman-1436735846.gif

Literally what I looked like. ^

And that was it for me. It was only 2 thirds of the way through... but I lasted longer than they thought I would for my second practice. People usually either don't even show up, or they are still completely wrecked and can't really do anything when they come in.

Best part though? As I was sitting there meditating the pain away and mentally trying to tap into my nerves after slathering some special muscle rub that Mr. Staple made from what he called nothing but "pure natural" ingredients. The guys had finished up and where all testing their grip on the tester. So his eldest son does his and he came in at 50 that day. Mr. Staple looks at me like he wants me to trust him and hands it to me and says, "Son, your goal is to break 50. I want you to focus on that"... I look at him and I give him a look that said, "You monster. You know I'm not gonna say no." So I take it. Mr. Staple see's my face and smiles wide and says, "Oh man, he's goin for it even though he's about to be in for a world of hurt." I couldn't even hold it with both hands like everyone else did to get better leverage (it only measures from one side of the device where the grip is). So I just put it down to my side and gripped it one handed. Man. I focused all my strength and squeezed that thing like I wanted to kill it. I felt something click and it was like every muscle on that side of my body activated at the same time. I let off but it hurt so bad my vision got blurry. So I just handed it to Mr. Staple to read. I look at him and he just had an eyes wide look of shock on his face. He let out a sort of Rick Flare Woo!... I had hit 163 pounds. On my second training day. I couldn't even believe it. Hulk lumbers over and pulls and gets 165. But he's been training with them for months now...

Feels good to have something man. And to top it off, the nerve spasms and shock wore off as soon as I got home. So I pulled on an 80 pound band for about as long as I missed for practice, going over every range of motion, and the throbbing hasn't come back. Just normal soreness. Did some counter balance workouts as well. So lots of declined pushups and band work since I did a ton of pulling.

My brain muscle connection is starting to show as well with new muscles/tendons popping up, literally, when I pull which I absolutely know didn't do that before. I knew I was pretty quick to recover and develop neural pathways from all the other training I've done, but I've never done anything remotely this intense so I was really curious how my body would take this. I'm so glad I took the time to cultivate a strong foundation. Otherwise... oh boy.

Anyway. I'm sorry if it seems like I'm bragging guys. I'm just so excited. It's hard to express what it means to come back from such a waisted, debilitated state that you thought you'd never recover from. I feel so blessed and it's nice to share it. Lord willing, if I make it to some tournaments, I'll take some pictures for you guys.

Keep chasing it champions. Don't fade.

Cutty Flam

Banned
EmseUyv.jpg

Progressive overload going well so far. Got a bit ahead of myself with the Hip Thrusts or Glute Bridges but I’ll tone it down and work more on the Bosu Ball squats going forward. Left knee is feeling some kind of way but I doubt it’s injured. Hope not. Just broken down and feeling it from the new demand put it through. I’ll just eat well, plenty water, and massage it tmrw 3-4 times two minutes each time / get some extra blood flow going to the area. Going to have to go low carb, not full keto until I can get the keto diet down strictly with next shopping session. It’ll be better that way because honestly, I’d rather carry some extra weight and get my nutrients than try to adhere 100% to keto (in order to get it down) and miss out on something important. If you exercise intensely, you have to know what you’re doing and eat and drink accordingly. Otherwise the session was in vain, you broke down but failed to build up by giving the body the nutrients it needs. That’s the way I see it at least

Gonna try resistance band flossing tmrw and some new exercises maybe with said resistance bands

Get it bros. get out there and stay consistent. Even if your workouts are tough as hell and you’re finding it difficult to get that extra few pushups you need to grow from last workout, or pull ups or whatever just dig deep and do what it takes to tale that step up. Could be deeper breathing needed. Maybe plugging holes or energy leaks as in finding weaknesses in your core strength and working on that more. Just find a way and get stronger, bigger yet leaner, get that shit done

If you don't feel like starting a workout, force it. 10 second rule. Have it in your mind to start your warm up in 10 seconds and get going. Just jump right in

Not stopping until I reach my dream physique. Not blessed with a smooth path, I'm still going to reach my goals, visions and dreams fuck what's in front of me feel that? Eyes on the prize type mentality. Mamba Mentality it's been that way, once you find momentum you can't be stopped with the right mindset keep it going bros. My body can't handle much any more it seems after a decade plus of struggle and injuries but fuck that I'm going to renew my body y playing it smart and working my way up. Wait until I reach my stride boys. I'll have a pic showing off the gains when I start to soar. Right now I'm skinny fat with some decent muscle to boot, but don't want to get complacent so I'll say I'm skinny fat until I start to really pack on size. That's where I'm at

Cutty Flam

Banned
Finally reporting in.

Man, yesterday was rough. My arms where sore all week from last time. It was only really bad that day I messed up and overused my arm and got a really bad nerve shock. But the day before yesterday I felt pretty good. Still didn't use my arms though, or do any kind of workout, like I was told. My friend also told me that he didn't expect me to be able to even get past the warm up, because he couldn't his second time. He couldn't even hold onto the "grip" training device.

giphy.gif

I did. I felt great.

I started a couple matches... Got driven right through, over and over and over again by Samson (Mr. Staples youngest son, smallest guy in the room, the one that's a super human "stick")... Only felt a little sore at first, but man did I feel weak. Much weaker than the first practice. I was told this was normal by literally every one there and to expect this for the next couple weeks. Started feeling the throb come back to my arms...

Took a break. Jumped on the dumbbells... Nope. Not even one flipping rep. Felt a jolt. Put them down.

Samson just got done wrecking the dude that took my place... Spots open. I'm up again.... Ouch. Pain. Oh boy. Round after round. But I fought through it. Focused on form. Breathing. Trying to remember everything I learned. Mr. staples oldest son (Ranked 10th in the nation for his weight class...) was watching and he made a remark that he can't wait till they get us in our first tournament. THAT made me feel great... Don't even know how many rounds till I stopped with Samson...

Arms where throbbing like crazy. Was about to ask if that was normal and ok to practice through... When Mr. Staple comes over and tells me to try out Al, that he wanted me to "feel" him on the table... Al btw is basically an 18 year old Hulk. 340+ pounds... But of thick muscle. Champion Wrestler and the only person who has given Mr. Staple a run for his money... while untrained... We don't skip anyone here because of weight class while training. Everyone is expected to take it easy on newcomers though. "We don't play games around here" is what Mr. Staple would say with a crazy look in his eye...

So I hobble up to teenage Hulk and try to gather myself. Kind of hard to think right now through the throbbing. Mr. Staple see's that I'm in pain before I even say anything and says it's normal. And then Hulk says, "We all went through that man. It'll take a while but in time it will get better." Then all the guys in the room looked over and said, "Welcome to Arm Wrestling!"

I then explained that I have a pretty high pain tolerance and that it in fact almost got me killed once during my pancreatitis since I didn't tell them the right pain level when they asked so they didn't think the issue was as severe as it should be so I was just wondering what is normal to push through. They all understood and he left it up to me to decide. So I pulled myself together and posted up...

Holy crap. It was like grasping a catchers mitt... attached to a robot. Mr. Staple was like, "Yep, that's what we call a bear paw. Now Al take it easy on him. Make him work each end of the table and work on his technique." He said. "Ready? Go! Pull! Pull! Pull! Use your legs they're there for a reason! -POKE- Tighten this muscle! -POKE- Tighten this one too! Come on Pull!" Good Lord I gave it all I had but I felt like my arm wasn't even doing anything with the way my nerves where pulsating. "Yes! That's it!" said Mr. Staple. "Now stay tight and take him!" (Mr. Staple lowers his voice in Al's direction and says, "Al let him take you slow but make him fight for it.") "Now peal his hand back and top roll! Roll! Roll! -POKE- Use your legs! Haven't you ever Indian wrestled?! -POKE- Use your lats! Keep it tight!"

We did this for both sides several times on both sides of the table, pinned and pinning, till we stopped... Because my arms stopped obeying me. Literally lost all strength. Couldn't even open a water bottle. Felt like I was going to throw up.

But I did it.

And that was it for me. It was only 2 thirds of the way through... but I lasted longer than they thought I would for my second practice. People usually either don't even show up, or they are still completely wrecked and can't really do anything when they come in.

Best part though? As I was sitting there meditating the pain away and mentally trying to tap into my nerves after slathering some special muscle rub that Mr. Staple made from what he called nothing but "pure natural" ingredients. The guys had finished up and where all testing their grip on the tester. So his eldest son does his and he came in at 50 that day. Mr. Staple looks at me like he wants me to trust him and hands it to me and says, "Son, your goal is to break 50. I want you to focus on that"... I look at him and I give him a look that said, "You monster. You know I'm not gonna say no." So I take it. Mr. Staple see's my face and smiles wide and says, "Oh man, he's goin for it even though he's about to be in for a world of hurt." I couldn't even hold it with both hands like everyone else did to get better leverage (it only measures from one side of the device where the grip is). So I just put it down to my side and gripped it one handed. Man. I focused all my strength and squeezed that thing like I wanted to kill it. I felt something click and it was like every muscle on that side of my body activated at the same time. I let off but it hurt so bad my vision got blurry. So I just handed it to Mr. Staple to read. I look at him and he just had an eyes wide look of shock on his face. He let out a sort of Rick Flare Woo!... I had hit 163 pounds. On my second training day. I couldn't even believe it. Hulk lumbers over and pulls and gets 165. But he's been training with them for months now...

Feels good to have something man. And to top it off, the nerve spasms and shock wore off as soon as I got home. So I pulled on an 80 pound band for about as long as I missed for practice, going over every range of motion, and the throbbing hasn't come back. Just normal soreness. Did some counter balance workouts as well. So lots of declined pushups and band work since I did a ton of pulling.

My brain muscle connection is starting to show as well with new muscles/tendons popping up, literally, when I pull which I absolutely know didn't do that before. I knew I was pretty quick to recover and develop neural pathways from all the other training I've done, but I've never done anything remotely this intense so I was really curious how my body would take this. I'm so glad I took the time to cultivate a strong foundation. Otherwise... oh boy.

Anyway. I'm sorry if it seems like I'm bragging guys. I'm just so excited. It's hard to express what it means to come back from such a waisted, debilitated state that you thought you'd never recover from. I feel so blessed and it's nice to share it. Lord willing, if I make it to some tournaments, I'll take some pictures for you guys.

Damn that's some fucking fire bro. Reading that makes me want to be even more active in my pursuits. I wanted to say last time, you're a wise brother to be taking note of Wim Hof's methods for recovery and wellness. He deserves a nobel peace prize for his findings. Keep at it with an unmatched hunger after each workout my brother. The workouts are the easy part. The real job is afterwards when the healing and preparation for next workout take place. It's an amazing feeling when you crush a training session like a monster, and then you come home, and you treat your recovery game like a pro bodybuilder and see yourself getting bigger. Feel yourself becoming stronger after some rest. Nothing like it

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Finally reporting in.

giphy.gif

I did. I felt great.

But I did it.

Baki season 1 finale confirmed.

Sounds like an amazing experience.

Cutty Flam

Banned
love your notes, cutty

might do the same, i really like what you got going on there
Thanks bro. They help me out a lot. I wish I were to have kept a strict measure of my lifts since I started at age 15, would have been a monster by now. And if I were smart or had been taught early by someone, to keep track of my lifts, how I'm feeling, and adjust accordingly over the years, I'm pretty sure things would be better off all around. That's the way it was meant to be. Not just me, but everyone should see the need to measure their progress so they can see patterns and 100% guarantee they're not going overboard. Like last workout, I did too many Hip Thrusts, I should have known better but decided to go after a small gain that could have costed me a couple weeks of setback had I done too much and torn a bit more muscle tissue than I should have.

The notes keep me in check, the more meticulous I get with them the better I can construct next time's training session

Thanks bro. They help me out a lot. I wish I were to have kept a strict measure of my lifts since I started at age 15, would have been a monster by now. And if I were smart or had been taught early by someone, to keep track of my lifts, how I'm feeling, and adjust accordingly over the years, I'm pretty sure things would be better off all around. That's the way it was meant to be. Not just me, but everyone should see the need to measure their progress so they can see patterns and 100% guarantee they're not going overboard. Like last workout, I did too many Hip Thrusts, I should have known better but decided to go after a small gain that could have costed me a couple weeks of setback had I done too much and torn a bit more muscle tissue than I should have.

The notes keep me in check, the more meticulous I get with them the better I can construct next time's training session

Great advice.

I've been keeping track of my lifts recently. I enter data on a notes app on my phone, then put it in a spreadsheet. Keeping track of weights and reps and dates.

I've also been taking videos of my max lifts. I'm amazed at how badly I can count out 5 or 6 reps when I'm under maximum workload. I'll get up from my set and think I hit 5 reps, check the video and see 6 reps. A credible witness under duress, I am not.

TTOOLL

I've officially given up my Half Marathon program. After running the distance I concluded that slow long runs are not for me and I don't the time and will to run a fast half marathon, it's too much dedication for me. Also, the course here is terrible, I live in a small town and it's kinda hilly.

I'll go back to my regular running routine, no pressure, just fun and maybe in a couple of years I may try a Marathon, just to say I've done it in my life lol.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

How do you do fellow fitness people.

Kinda chompin' at the bit fo get my next size up in kettlebell but alas I can't get the one I want yet. However, I got 40 yards / 31 meters of woodchips delivered about a week ago. So, I've been hauling woodchips across the yard and up small embankments for the last week. Getting outside for several hours a day (after being stuck indoors performing work-from-home), pitchforking chips, raking them onto beds and paths, shoveling them onto berms, and pushing them around in a wheelbarrow for hours upon hours is wonderful exercise, but my body has a dull ache. Nearly done with the pile, about 6 or 7 yards to go.

Other than the yardwork, I'm steady on with the same exercise routine. I can actually hold myself up on the gym rings now for awhile whereas before I would crumple after just a second or two. I'm training grip still. I've transitioned almost all of my calisthenics (pushups, dips, etc) onto the rings while continuing the same routine in kettlebells. The stretching is helping a lot.

Alright boys. It's that time again. Practice tomorrow.

Feeling really strong this time. I was actually able to throw one bloodflow, tendon strengthening workout in a few days ago. I finally got a chance to try something called a beamer chair that my wife's mother used for cancer recovery.... It... actually worked. I don't know what on earth it even is. But it stopped my arms from feeling shattered and when I got up I felt like the tinman that just got oiled. The craziest feeling. And that night while in bed... well, you know how sometimes you feel sort of... bubbles in your leg muscles and such? Well... my... um... nether regions did that... I've never, ever felt that before... Don't know if it was connected lol... Can't explain it. But I asked if I could use it if I get any flair ups and they said yes. Thank goodness because that machine cost's like 6k or something. More uses will tell me if it was just a placebo effect or not. I'll try to go when the pain is the highest and see what happens.

Anyway, I cut it down to 200 reps for biceps and triceps this time though. Def not gonna push it till I get the green light.

So, lightweight, 100 reverse grip curls for each arm, then 100 triceps... But I try to do them in the same form that I do all the pulling in arm wrestling, but in reverse so I'm working my triceps instead of my biceps. So I wrap the bands around my shoulders and try to stand in an arm wrestling stance and sort of push forward while gripping the bands. All nonstop. at a brisk but controlled pace. And then do it all over again one more time.

I felt great. No pain or anything. Even did some grip work with the towel. 100 reps each hand working my top roll position. It was all good till my wife came home in a bad mood and I decided to try to sweep the floor to cheer her up... And then my shoulder went out. Gat dangit. Took forever to calm it down and several ribs came out. Wife was finally able to put them back in and a friend just came over with a tens machine. First time using one and holy heck it was amazing. I can't believe it actually worked to calm the nerves.

Oh and also, Tesseract Tesseract . A while back you mentioned Copper shirts. I don't know if you where talking about Tommy Copper compression shirts but I looked them up and got one. It's been great man. Definitely feel like it helps with the scapula. So thanks.

Anyway. I'm feeling great now and ready to go. Time to get pumped. Gonna listen to this before I hop into bed and before I leave in the morning.

Last edited:
Okay - count me the fuck in. I'm a flabby fuckboy.

50 pushups a day and OMAD seems doable. Daddy loves his chicken thighs and frozen veggies. I'm tired of having noodle arms.
This your first time working out in a while? If so, I'd heavily advise you take it slow. I put together a routine of sorts from when I was doing therapy if you'd like to try that. Guarantee it will kick you into shape. Don't let it deceive you.

I'd start with that for a few weeks and see how you feel. It will help develop a strong foundation for when you start to ramp things up so that you avoid any injuries and lessen the recovery pain and time so that you don't lose motivation. I've written out several other plans as well starting on that page and onwards for when you feel like kicking it up.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Okay - count me the fuck in. I'm a flabby fuckboy.

50 pushups a day and OMAD seems doable. Daddy loves his chicken thighs and frozen veggies. I'm tired of having noodle arms.
Hell yeah

You’d be amazed to find one day, how incredible you can look with a consistent circuit training routine of only:

-pushups
-dumbbell rows,
-pull-ups or some kind of pull down with resistance bands
-bodyweight or goblet squats if you have a suitable dumbell or kettlebell for them
-jumping rope every set or two

teezzy

Banned
VlaudTheImpaler VlaudTheImpaler Cutty Flam Cutty Flam

Thank you both for the help. I'm currently 5'9", 175lbs, very little muscle tone.

I own an iron gym (pushups and pull ups), a 30 lb kettlebell, two light 8 lb dumbbells, and a 30 lb dumbbell. Also big on walking my dog as much as possible.

I've found success on keto, IF, and OMAD before but obviously have packed some fat back. I'd rather gain strength than drop down to 145 with no muscle like I did previously. Tired of looking like this and feeling weak.

Will give that beginner's workout a look. If anyone wants to advise me with my current equipment id appreciate it.

Cutty Flam

Banned
My structure is chest/arms, legs, shoulders/back. Alternating each day. This includes compound and isolation exercises. I lift to failure every time. If I have an injury, I work around it. Sometimes my sessions go as long as 90-120 minutes. I might go 3 days on, 1/2 days off, depending how I'm feeling or no days off. My mindset has always been if I'm not going my hardest then I'm wasting my fucking time. It's not the healthiest approach. It's caused me injuries, but I've also had great results.
Nice post, I had some of my best gains in size when I would take my time and do like 3 maybe even 4 full body sessions at the gym each week and take as long as 3 hrs going at it. But my warm up was extremely extensive. I would always do cardio training then foam roll and stretch. I should hav been stretching and foam rolling afterwards if I felt good but oh well, I wasn’t too keen on the science just then

I always wondered about this: what if during your rest, you did light movements to keep your heart rate and body temperature up during a 3 minute or so rest, waiting for ATP levels to get close to 100% again so you can maximize explosiveness and overall lifts? Would that movement cause you to stay at like 70% of your total ATP replenishment until you stopped moving and rested fully? Or would it not matter much and you still basically get to 95-100% of your ATP level? I wonder if there are any studies done to answer my question / testing ATP recovery levels while still performing light cardio to keep the circulatory system, lymphatic system, heart rate, and body temperature all running high

VlaudTheImpaler VlaudTheImpaler Cutty Flam Cutty Flam

Thank you both for the help. I'm currently 5'9", 175lbs, very little muscle tone.

I own an iron gym (pushups and pull ups), a 30 lb kettlebell, two light 8 lb dumbbells, and a 30 lb dumbbell. Also big on walking my dog as much as possible.

I've found success on keto, IF, and OMAD before but obviously have packed some fat back. I'd rather gain strength than drop down to 145 with no muscle like I did previously. Tired of looking like this and feeling weak.

Will give that beginner's workout a look. If anyone wants to advise me with my current equipment id appreciate it.
I'm around your same weight when I'm packing on muscle and basically the same height as well. Can't speak to the other stuff because I don't use them and I will generally only ever recommend things I've tried as a general rule. But you can look through my other workouts and see what I use. Basically just rings, for one of the workouts and the rest is resistance bands and bodyweight and maybe various other household stuff that anyone would have. That's how I got to where I'm at now, training with world class arm wrestlers. But I used to be an invalid with a flat spine. So I had to work pretty hard and find work arounds for my condition. Learned a lot along the way.

As for your diet. Just choose one that works for you, where you feel good on it, and try to stick to it for a bit while you are working out. You want your body focused on healing right now and eating a specific diet right now is best for that because your body will start to become efficient with what you are eating and will spend less energy trying to figure out how to break it down because it's familiar with it and primed for it. But just know that most of these diets weren't meant to be lifestyles. But only just for a time and for specific reasons. Like losing weight. A good lifestyle to eat by is... well, just eat a variety of healthy, non-junk foods and make sure you are getting enough protein for however much you are working out man. Everyone is different and we have different metabolisms. Some can do forage style eating all throughout the day, like me, some do intermittent fasting, some do square meals, .etc. And about your fat, it might help to read my post to Chunk.

All in all, when starting off, just start slow and really just try to have fun with it so that it becomes a fun habit and something to look forward to. Your testosterone will kick in along with endorphins and you will start to crave it. But just like I said to Chunk, on top of what the adipokines do to you, be mindful that all kinds of toxins can be stored in white fat and when you start to burn off that fat those toxins begin to release back into your body and can make you feel kind of sickly. This will be where taking it slow, doing full body work exercises and falling in love with working out will come to your benefit because it will help you push through... on top of being able to burn that fat off faster due to all the lean muscle you'll have started to build all over your body. Also know that it's perfectly normal to feel weaker than your first time for a while after you start. Just take it slow till you have a solid foundation. I talk about that in some of my posts.

Anyway, good luck and we are here for you. I need to stop typing because my wrists feel like they are going to fall off from arm-wrestling practice earlier today. It's taken me like half an hour to type this lol.

It’s been about 3 weeks and I finally hit the pavement again. Did 1 mile easy to ease back into things. I feel a bit of an ache in my foot but it’s tolerable. I’m going to continue with short runs for a bit and see how my foot holds up. It feels good to have gotten out again. I was going a bit crazy without my outlet.

I’ve got a lot of catching up to do in the thread! Lots of activity and some new faces. Hopefully I will be sticking around again. It’s hard to read the thread when I can’t run.

Top Bottom