• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT| Pumpin' Iron and Spittin' Blood.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
At 42.5 hours into the fast. Went easy on my workout yesterday: 40 mins walking, 60 mins yoga. Felt fine this morning, but now I'm light headed and a bit foggy. The fast ends today so I will save my workout for after I eat.

The strange thing is that I am feeling nauseous. Maybe it's something else?
Nausea is normal during fasting. Ginger root in tea alleviates it.

teezzy

Banned
I'm overdue for a fast myself; need to realign my habits. I haven't eaten yet today apart from the heavy whipping cream in my coffee. Feeling very full tbh.

source.gif

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
your body is adjusting to a new pattern

expect pangs, nausea, general discomfort as survivor mode balances and redistributes available nutrients throughout your body and brain

(seems like) your blood sugar might've spiked one way or another, consider drinking pineapple or grape juice with your next fast if you feel nausea coming on

Dudes, my right wrist is annoying me for a few weeks now.
The pain comes and goes, it worsens when I try stretching and strengthening exercises and I don't know what this bs is.

No problems when doing dips, etc (guess I have good form so I don't fuck up my wrist there, lol).
Let's say my wrist is ok, I can worsen it immediately doing pushups for example. I never had problems doing pushups or any wrist problems for that matter. :'(
Just moving my hand right now and there is annoying pain. Damn it.

Also if my wrists are like this I avoid going to the gym because I get scared of doing OHP or Benchpress like this although I never feel any pain doing those exercises or any discomfort. I just don't want to risk it I guess?

Edit: So I guess what I want to say is, it hurts when I flex my wrist.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

The pain comes and goes, it worsens when I try stretching and strengthening exercises and I don't know what this bs is.

No problems when doing dips, etc (guess I have good form so I don't fuck up my wrist there, lol).
Let's say my wrist is ok, I can worsen it immediately doing pushups for example. I never had problems doing pushups or any wrist problems for that matter. :'(

Also if my wrists are like this I avoid going to the gym because I get scared of doing OHP or Benchpress like this although I never feel any pain doing those exercises or any discomfort. I just don't want to risk it I guess?

i've had wrist problems on and off for years and tbh i never quite figured it out... it can be painful but i've experienced that babying it just prolongs the pain for days it even weeks. i usually workout through the pain, within reason. if it hurts too bad i stop. sometimes you just need to take a couple days off, stretch it, and maybe try and do some light wrist exercises.

i never really figured out the wrist issue 🤷‍♂️ it mostly happen in ny dominant right hand though. all i can say is the more consistent i was working out every week, the less pain i had. it was mostly when i stopped for a week or whatever that i'd notice the pain coming back.

same with my elbow. i have pins and wire and when i haven't worked out for a long time it starts to bother me.

i usually avoid using tape on my wrists. we did that a lot on weight team bc some guys were doing big fuckin weight and it just became a thing for everyone to tape their wrists

but i always felt like taping them would ensure that they never got stronger, and like i said before, actually using it and not babying it too much seemed to be the only thing that helped.

good luck! not much help lol maybe some other gaffers have some better advice

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
So I've been tracking my weight / body fat / BMI etc stats with this scale (HBF-510) https://www.rei.com/product/769815/omron-hbf-510-full-body-composition-monitor-and-scale

I've had it since December 2017, but didn't use it much then. I left a few values in from back then to show where I was at before.

I'm not sure how accurate the scale is for body fat, skeletal muscle, etc, but at least it seems internally consistent with its own measurements. When I was at "9" visceral fat, I had a pretty gross beer/whiskey gut.

Thought I would just drop it here to share. If this doesn't display too well on mobile, I'll just drop in a screenshot of my spreadsheet:

DateTime of DayWeight (pounds)Body Fat %Visceral Fat LevelBMISkeletal Muscle %
12/3/2017​
5pm
156.6​
21.7​
6​
22.5​
37.1​
12/13/2017​
5pm
157​
20.5​
5​
22.5​
38.1​
3/10/2018​
157​
22.3​
6​
36.6​
3/26/2018​
157​
22.1​
6​
22.6​
7/17/2020​
2pm
180.4​
28.1​
9​
25.5​
33.5​
8/2/2020​
178.4​
27.6​
9​
25.2​
33.7​
8/18/2020​
171.2​
25.7​
8​
24.2​
34.7​
8/24/2020​
170.4​
24.7​
7​
24.1​
35.4​
9/1/2020​
2pm
167.2​
23.3​
7​
23.6​
36.2​
9/9/2020​
167.6​
24.1​
7​
23.7​
35.7​
9/13/2020​
165.2​
23.7​
7​
23.4​
35.7​
9/19/2020​
11am
162.4​
23.6​
6​
23​
35.6​
9/21/2020​
10:30am
165​
23​
7​
23.3​
36.3​
9/22/2020​
10:00am
163.2​
23​
6​
23.1​
36.1​
9/28/2020​
161.6​
21.7​
6​
22.9​
36.9​
9/30/2020​
161.2​
21.6​
6​
22.8​
37​
10/2/2020​
160.4​
20.9​
6​
22.7​
37.5​

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute

I started doing strength training recently myself. Went too hard at first and gave myself pain in both wrists. I think it was from not thinking about them at all and just letting them bend and beating them up without giving them a second thought.

It has eased up a lot but I'm still careful with them. I think there was one day in particular where I did pushups in between lat pulldowns / assisted pull ups that really did a number on my wrists.

When the pain was at its worst, I was icing them and taking 600 mg of advil with dinner. Between wrist and knee pain, I've been easing into training more than I'd like to. I still take the advil every other night or so.

Like I said, I am always watching them and making sure that they do not bend or anything, I don't feel any pain or discomfort during workouts. Believe me, if I did something wrong it would make itself known immediately. I don't do pushups, it was just an example as to how I could trigger it like that.

I will try to not use or rather use them as least as possible for a week as in not bend them. If that doesn't work, I will do the stretches with pain and hope for the best.

Thanks anyways guys.

Last edited:

Jasonadream

From reading this, it seems that you may be lifting in a ‘broken wrist’ position.

Not literally a broken wrist but a position where your wrist is extended back and not ‘squared’

Looked into wrist wraps for lifting for your ohp/bench/squats.
I used to use iron rebel wrist wraps and for competition I used SBD stiff wrist wraps.
Hope this helps

Nope, like I said, always making sure they are in a neutral position and I don't hurt myself. I think I know what caused it now.

At min 7:23.

When I do those my forearms and wrists feel stiff and pumped I guess afterwards. I will avoid those for a while and see if it really is because of that. Thanks again.

Also
helped lessen the pain so I will keep those stretches up as well.
Yay. :D

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I broke my gyro ball. It came apart in my hands while spinning it, and the pieces scattered across the floor. CHY-NAH.

Bought another one, actual NSD brand. This wagie cagie tool better not fail again.

Pelican curl regressions are coming along nicely. Trying to improve other ring exercises, such as tucking my knees up and over the head (first part of skin the cat) but I don't have enough strength to complete the move. I'm also trying to strengthen my hips and abs to L-sit. I need to really lean into false-grip rows, too. Doing more ring pushups and planks because I suck at them. And I'm getting REEEEEALLY close to unassisted handstands. I have to keep the pad of one foot on a tree to stay balanced, but I'm almost there. Basic weaknesses that I should've shored up a long time ago. Aiming myself at basic things I suck at seems to be a good way of getting overall stronger, though. 🤷‍♀️

Personal victories this week were: breaking that gyro ball through sheer overexertion, as revenge for what a fidget spinner did to me a few years ago, and also moving my workspace to a chest-high desk in the garage. 10+ hours each day on my bare feet, 10+ hours in 35F - 50F weather in shorts/t-shirt. Tons and tons of free time to play with footwork, teeps, and leg-stretching. Standing all day feels great on my back (not sore) which I credit to the kettlebells and to dead-hangs on the rings.

Bought a roll-up silicone keyboard. Will place it on the floor, and I'll begin practicing typing with my toes and/or typing on my toes while hanging from rings. The rice bucket is great for hands, but I don't have an equivalent fine-motor conditioner for my feet. Perhaps this will work.

I've crossed the threshold into long-term cold endurance: my body is acclimated to ~40F without getting excessively sore/pained, or shivering. Now I patiently wait/invest more time as the below-freezing temps approach. That's another hard check. Should be okay since I can do ice baths w/o shivering. Calorie burn each day is LOL. The fun begins when there's enough snow on the ground to melt handfuls on my chest from the heat generated. Headed off to a sparring session now.

Kazza

I'm going to do a weigh-in and measure up every Sunday. This week's results (well, 4 days since I started):
86.4kg/190lb (-0.5kg/1.1lb)
Waist 38 inches (-a quarter of an inch)

This week's weigh in and measure up:
86.2kg (-0.2kg)
Waist 37 inches (- 1 inch)

Interesting how my weight went down so little, but I still managed to lop 1 inch off my waist. People often say that you either have to bulk or cut, but with all the daily running and yoga I've been doing after a long period of inactivity, I guess it's possible that I have gained a bit of muscle, in my legs in particular. Both forms of exercise feel easier than when I started 10 days ago, so my overall fitness has definitely increased.

I'm going to fast again next week (Mon, Wed, Fri), but I'm going to start eating healthier on my non-fasting days. I'll let Sunday be my "cheat day". I'll keep the exercise routine the same (daily 30 min Yoga and a roughly 4km run/jog).

I just had a thought - maybe that big Indian takeaway last night added to my weight (yesterday morning my weight was around 85.4 kg). Nothing that a huge shit can't sort out :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Stay strong everyone. May next week bring the gains/losses you are looking for 💪💪💪

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
doing it right now with yeh, rip and tear
I bought it as a skeptic. Now I'm a convert. I could cram a paragraph full of all the little uses this thing has. Favorite use so far is clutching the gyro up close-ish to my face in my lead or guard hand while doing my footwork drills. Spin, spin, spin while I shuffle-hop to some casual BPM music playing on the speakers. Mmm, good stuff. Chill drills are the way to be.

Speaking of converts, you keepin up on yours too haxan7 haxan7 ? I bandwagon'd on the idea after you decided to get yours.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I bought it as a skeptic. Now I'm a convert. I could cram a paragraph full of all the little uses this thing has. Favorite use so far is clutching the gyro up close-ish to my face in my lead or guard hand while doing my footwork drills. Spin, spin, spin while I shuffle-hop to some casual BPM music playing on the speakers. Mmm, good stuff. Chill drills are the way to be.

Speaking of converts, you keepin up on yours too haxan7 haxan7 ? I bandwagon'd on the idea after you decided to get yours.
i used it a few times for about a minute each hand yesterday. That was the first time going back in a week or so. Been dealing with wrist pain still so I’ve been going easy with it.

I don’t think my dad has even figured out how to use the one I sent him yet

Bought a roll-up silicone keyboard. Will place it on the floor, and I'll begin practicing typing with my toes and/or typing on my toes while hanging from rings. The rice bucket is great for hands, but I don't have an equivalent fine-motor conditioner for my feet. Perhaps this will work.
Good Lord. That's some next level stuff right there, holy heck.

I workout my toes during the lawn mowing because I do it barefoot. I just dig in my toes and use them to push. Only thing I do for dexterity though is I pick up literally anything I can off the floor with my toes. I've been doing that since forever and it came to be a huge blessing for me when my back was bad and I couldn't bend over.... But I never thought about typing with them lol. Maybe try some chopsticks? I saw an artist with no arms once who painted with their toes....

What new spinner did you get? My metal one is still as solid as the first day I got it and I use the crap out of it. Hopefully this new one doesn't explode on you as well lol.

BTW. Try turning your wrist all the way in, so your hand is sort of in a cupping/false grip position and try it like that. I think it helps with the false grip for the rings and it also helps with my top rolling for arm wrestling. Just lubes everything up and strengthens all the stabilizers and such.

Anyway, I tried a 24 hour fast the other day. I don't usually fast because I have a blazing fast metabolism. In the past, I'd get almost sick when trying to do it for religious purposes. So I'd never tried. Plus, when I had my pancreatitis, they had me not eat for about a week and a half. Couldn't even drink for the first week. Only chew ice. THAT sucked hard and I was a skeleton afterwards. This time though, I loved it. I actually didn't have any issues with hunger pangs at all and I feel fantastic. I worked out the day after and I actually feel less inflamed than normal. Way more lubed up/flexible. I actually felt like I could have gone all night long but I decided to stop while I was ahead and uninjured. This is my rest day and I'm usually pretty sore after Saturday night workout but I'm not and I even picked up the intensity quite a bit. I had been thinking about doing it for a while after reading your posts but it wasn't till my wife brought it up that she wanted us to start doing some 24 hour lemon water fasts that I finally made the decision to try it again. Both of you pushed me over the edge lol. So thanks!

I don't know if how I feel is all do to the fast or because I started taking moringa powder.

A friend of mine was swearing up and down about it so I told him I'd try it. Supposed to be good for inflammation and a whole host of things including sleep. The sleep I can attest to. That stuff made me actually relaxed and I've had a good nights rest since I've started taking it. I usually just lay there for a couple hours with restless legs and arms after my initial drift off to sleep gets interrupted by my wife rolling over in bed...

Anyway, feeling super strong. Can't wait for practice this Tuesday. Miiiiight be hitting legs later today though.... I'm pretty antsy, pain free and full of energy. Prolly shouldn't waste that. Keep at it champions.

PS. We should all go in on this house. We could all live there and train together. Think of all the possibilities. Could do a GAFlympics. Fitness GAF fat camp with Tesseract Tesseract as the instructor. Tons of space for gardening... It even has a jail cell if any junior members get out of hand.

not yet, i walked to my local mom and pop auto and tried to bargain but they wouldn't budge

i'll drive around tomorrow and take a look
Go to a junk yard breh. They actually have to pay to get rid of tires. It costs a lot to process. I grew up with a friend whos parents owned a junk yard. Spent lots of time there. There should be no shortage of junk tires of all sizes. If they don't have any in, just ask them if they can save one for you. If they say no, then just start contacting local farmers. Seriously, most people will actually pay YOU to come pick them up. It's one of the things they teach you when you learn how to build earth ships. Since the 3 main walls are made with earth rammed tires.

Tesseract

Banned
Go to a junk yard breh. They actually have to pay to get rid of tires. It costs a lot to process. I grew up with a friend whos parents owned a junk yard. Spent lots of time there. There should be no shortage of junk tires of all sizes. If they don't have any in, just ask them if they can save one for you. If they say no, then just start contacting local farmers. Seriously, most people will actually pay YOU to come pick them up. It's one of the things they teach you when you learn how to build earth ships. Since the 3 main walls are made with earth rammed tires.
will do, thanks for the guidance

i def wouldn't be the instructor at gaf's fitness house, for that we'd have to call devon larratt

will do, thanks for the guidance

i def wouldn't be the instructor at gaf's fitness house, for that we'd have to call devon larratt
You almost said my real name. He and I share the same first name, spelling and all. And the same first half of our last name. Mine is Larrison. Gonna be fun when we finally meet. I have a feeling we will. He's said he can't wait to come down and start going to peoples group practices. I love how he does that. Like he want's to give a piece of himself to as many fellow arm wrestlers as possible.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Good Lord. That's some next level stuff right there, holy heck.
It might not end up doing anything, and typing with feet is novel but otherwise useless. We'll see.

I workout my toes during the lawn mowing because I do it barefoot. I just dig in my toes and use them to push. Only thing I do for dexterity though is I pick up literally anything I can off the floor with my toes. I've been doing that since forever and it came to be a huge blessing for me when my back was bad and I couldn't bend over.... But I never thought about typing with them lol. Maybe try some chopsticks? I saw an artist with no arms once who painted with their toes....
I walk around all day barefoot, and have been doing so for long enough to tell the difference. Before, I wore heavy Red Wing workboots, so you can imagine the transition my feet have undergone, from heavy sole to none. Funny you mention painting with a brush held between toes because I've considered that as well. My goal isn't to become a master, of course, but to challenge the feet in a beneficial way. Now that I'm in the garage w the chest-high desk I think it will be very easy to level up my feet this fall/winter. I'll be able to put my legs through hours upon hours of stretching and balancing, all day, all the time. Work-from-home is a boon.

I bought a true-blue NSD Spinner this time. The previous one was a knockoff brand. Serves me right. And yeah, I do the cupping hold that you described. I also like holding the gyro with forward wrist cocked back, Power Ranger holding his hand out.

200.gif

....or holding the arm fdown/above/behind etc. while keeping it going. Anyway...

The ability to exert the fine-motor strength of the wrist and forearm with the hand fully extended, while also using the same tool for "resistance" against the gyro spin is amazing. Holding out a mallet / indian club / weighted baton are the only other tools I know that works the wrists in this manner.

Good job on the fast. Keep deactivating your strength limiters. I know you're in the midwest so lean into the cold-training stuff these next few months, if you can.

I'd totally be a student at the GAF Fitness House. No cult shit though unless I get to pick the dress code.

It might not end up doing anything, and typing with feet is novel but otherwise useless. We'll see.

I walk around all day barefoot, and have been doing so for long enough to tell the difference. Before, I wore heavy Red Wing workboots, so you can imagine the transition my feet have undergone, from heavy sole to none. Funny you mention painting with a brush held between toes because I've considered that as well. My goal isn't to become a master, of course, but to challenge the feet in a beneficial way. Now that I'm in the garage w the chest-high desk I think it will be very easy to level up my feet this fall/winter. I'll be able to put my legs through hours upon hours of stretching and balancing, all day, all the time. Work-from-home is a boon.

I bought a true-blue NSD Spinner this time. The previous one was a knockoff brand. Serves me right. And yeah, I do the cupping hold that you described. I also like holding the gyro with forward wrist cocked back, Power Ranger holding his hand out.

200.gif

....or holding the arm fdown/above/behind etc. while keeping it going. Anyway...

The ability to exert the fine-motor strength of the wrist and forearm with the hand fully extended, while also using the same tool for "resistance" against the gyro spin is amazing. Holding out a mallet / indian club / weighted baton are the only other tools I know that works the wrists in this manner.

Good job on the fast. Keep deactivating your strength limiters. I know you're in the midwest so lean into the cold-training stuff these next few months, if you can.

I'd totally be a student at the GAF Fitness House. No cult shit though unless I get to pick the dress code.
Yeah, the best thing about the end of the year is the weather changing. I love the temps going down. Means my ground water will get consistently colder and colder. Then the snow. Man, there really isn't anything like shoveling the snow in nothing but swim trunks. Trying to talk the team into plunging this winter. They're for it... for now lol. I'mma call em every pathetic name in the book till they cave. I've tried to warn them to start taking cold showers well before hand. We'll see if they listen...

teezzy

Banned
Y'all on another level. Talkin about deadlifting with your toes and stuff.

Meanwhile I'm just curious to see this pop into my Firefox home page recently:

I've never done a lunge before. The motion seems awkward... and single leg deadlift? Is that a common thing?

Jasonadream

Y'all on another level. Talkin about deadlifting with your toes and stuff.

Meanwhile I'm just curious to see this pop into my Firefox home page recently:

I've never done a lunge before. The motion seems awkward... and single leg deadlift? Is that a common thing?

The tripod feet positioning is a mechanic that’s used for weightlifting/powerlifting and is pretty much an essential for anything standing for me.

as for lunges and the single leg deadlift, both are great accessory movements to address imbalances in the knee/hip/core and also strengthens the core/ balance.

new movements will always require a bit of time to adjust, best thing to do is practice until it doesn’t feel foreign.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Leg day today:

• 10 min warmup on stationary bike
  • Barbell squats, started with just the bar to warm up then worked up to bar+50 lbs
  • Partially seated calf press machine (120 lbs, not even sure what the machine is called, the sticker is ripped off)
  • Situps on a decline ab bench
  • Hip abductor, 4 sets of 10, 120 / 130 lbs
  • Leg curl, 40-60 lbs, 3x8
I've started typing what I do into the notes app on my phone to track it.

Been weighing my chicken breast on a food scale to make sure I'm getting enough protein. I'm easily hitting 150g+ protein every day, which is probably more than I need at around 160 lbs body weight.

God Enel

PS. We should all go in on this house. We could all live there and train together. Think of all the possibilities. Could do a GAFlympics. Fitness GAF fat camp with Tesseract Tesseract as the instructor. Tons of space for gardening... It even has a jail cell if any junior members get out of hand.

i swear if there ever will be a gaf fitness come together I’ll seriously think about flying from Germany to see you guys. You’re an awesome bunch and I’d love to work out with you.

with that being said I’m Heading out to the gym. Today is back and biceps. VlaudTheImpaler VlaudTheImpaler I sure as heck will implement your exercises for forarms and wrist. Will work on the muscle up on rings, skin the cat back and front lever and so on. + pull ups and deadlifts

Top Bottom