• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT| Pumpin' Iron and Spittin' Blood.

Ahahaha

On my first day of arm wrestling training with Mr. Stapleton he had WAL matches playing on the big screen in the workout room. This is how he introduced me to the world of arm wrestling. As each arm wrestler came on screen he'd tell me about their legacy and his interactions with them if he knew them and such. As soon as Micheal Todd came on screen he paused it and said, "Micheal Todd is an accomplished arm wrestler but no one should be taking arm wrestling advice from that guy. He's broken his elbow alone over 60 times several of them doing the kings move (Mr. S hates the kings move). He shouldn't be training anybody." Proceeds to show me injury compilation vid...

Well, he's been training a kid he's nicknamed the gorilla and low and behold...

I bet he's gonna have a pretty big grin on his face tomorrow at practice. Although he's got a big heart so he's prob gonna be mad and sad that the kid got injured... But I still expect a big I told ya so.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
My joints are always a mess. What kind of fats should I be eating? The most fat I eat is a ribeye a couple times a week but other than that I probably don’t get much.
Others have mentioned a lot of great fats to add to the diet but I wanna also recommend Unflavored gelatin / beef collagen. This is a must for good tendon and joint development / repair.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Others have mentioned a lot of great fats to add to the diet but I wanna also recommend Unflavored gelatin / beef collagen. This is a must for good tendon and joint development / repair.
I ordered some when you mentioned it a couple months ago. Just added some to my coffee this morning. Need to start mixing it in when I take my creatine.

HdKRQ22.jpg

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Nice haxan7 haxan7 ! I mix it in with my tea, a few scoops per day. It's missing one amino acid but otherwise should be treated with the same reverence and hype as protein powder. If you're a habitual tea- or coffee-drinker it's easy to sneak in an extra 20-40g of protein each day with good ol' unflavored gelatin. Seems like a no brainer but a lot of people want the stuff with a fancy label on it. 🤷‍♀️

EDIT: I add raw cacao with the tea, too. A mixture of sodium ascorbate (vit c), raw cacao powder, unflavored gelatin, and a bit of ashwaganda root. The cacao + gelatin form a complete protein, since I believe trytophan is the main one missing from gelatin and cacao has tryptophan in abundance.

Any luck with the neck flexibility over the past week? Hope you continue to strengthen in that area so that your pain / stiffness goes away.

I'm sinkin lots of time into my 15 lb punching bag and my floor mats. Fitting in more somersaults, about 60 a day split across a few sets. Nothing impressive about a somersault, I guess, but it's a good tool to loosen and barrage the body with impacts. I notice my upper body feels a more flexible and limber after a set of somersaults.

I am practicing my basic jabs and crosses on the bag, focusing on making solid contact with the bag then delivering force from the hips. Delivering a strong punch seems to a range-finding and timing issue, not so much a strength issue. Like the crack of a whip, the arm movement should be loose and very fast until the point of impact. At the 'snap' of the whip you drive your torso into the fist and deliver the force of the strike. This way of punching is also very economical, as the arms do not tire out (the force is mainly coming from your torso and legs). Tesseract Tesseract what sort of boxing gems are you picking up over there btw?

Last edited:
Can you guys recommend any good calistheny program? Been trying to workout at home and randomly doing pull ups and squat so I'd like some motivation.
Here you go bro. I made this post for someone else but it should be what you're looking for. Part 1 has the calisthenics routine but read part 2 as well if you're interested in more for the arms. Good luck and let us know how it goes if you do any of it.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I’ve actually had a huge reduction in neck pain since I started doing deep stretches and strengthening exercises. It’s the biggest reduction in neck pain I’ve ever had since the pain started, and I’ve to physical therapy for it 3 separate times for a full month each.

I still have it sometimes but I’m thinking what I’m doing now is the key to getting it under control. They taught me a bunch of stretches in PT but they were all focused on improving my posture, no really deep neck stretching or strengthening.

oh and DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi I ordered some actual beef gelatin. I think the stuff I bought was something else because the label shows 0 protein.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So I've been going for a morning run every day since getting the Apple Watch - my usual route is about 1.65 miles which I seem to be able to do at about an 11 minutes per mile pace. Absolutely shit, needless to say, but I'm working on it. Heart rate gets up to 160-odd, settles back down to mid-140s so clearly I need to build up fitness significantly if I wish to get those times improved - speeding up would just see my heart explode out of my chest. My legs are killing me in the afternoon after all that so clearly there's some muscular benefit too but the job right now is to sort my cardio fitness out.

Considering getting airpods as it seems standard bluetooth headphones won't let me play plex from my iPhone while hearing feedback from Runkeeper on the watch (unless anyone has any ideas on how to get that to work).

Last edited by a moderator:

quickwhips

So I've been going for a morning run every day since getting the Apple Watch - my usual route is about 1.65 miles which I seem to be able to do at about an 11 minutes per mile pace. Absolutely shit, needless to say, but I'm working on it. Heart rate gets up to 160-odd, settles back down to mid-140s so clearly I need to build up fitness significantly if I wish to get those times improved - speeding up would just see my heart explode out of my chest. My legs are killing me in the afternoon after all that so clearly there's some muscular benefit too but the job right now is to sort my cardio fitness out.

Considering getting airpods as it seems standard bluetooth headphones won't let me play plex from my iPhone while hearing feedback from Runkeeper on the watch (unless anyone has any ideas on how to get that to work).
Awesome work! I just ordered a samsung galaxy active 2. It should be hear tomorrow. Keep up on the running!

Workout started great but didn't go as planned. Wife pulled me part way through...

Pro tip, if you want to actually get a workout in while you're spending time watching some shows with your wife, don't wear tight fitting clothes and definitely don't take off your shirt... I think I'm gonna have to find like the most scuffed hillbilly garb to wear that still feels good to work out in in order to avoid this in the future...

Anyway, I'll just call it some cardio. Time to get back to the side pressure training.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yeah that Zelus looks to be in line with what I'd need. The open chest and "thin backpack" design is perfect. Regarding the weighted material inside the vest: Can I roll across the back, too, along the spine? I don't wanna be rough with it (rolling, slamming down on it) in a way that will burst it.

I already do a lot of kb farmer walks, carrying the rice bucket across my shoulder via strap for 60+ minutes, calisthenics boosted by medicine balls, etc so having a weighted vest should fit in nicely with the routines I already know. I'll keep an eye out and maybe get one in a few months. Thanks for the answers.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Hmm then I'll have to keep looking, but thank you for visiting the lab and testing on my behalf.

quick edit: I think something like this belt is what I'll land on

plus some weighted sleeves for the ankles/wrists. This setup might lose the one-and-done utility of the vest, but it would allow full torso movement and full impacts. Just thinking out loud, 'cause I still don't know if that's what I'll get.

Last edited:

Kazza

This week:
80.1kg/176lb (-1.3kg/2.8lb)
Waist 34 inches (-0.5)

Into the second week of my sugar/junk food-free diet now, and this week was much easier to stick to and didn't require as much self-discipline. It feels as though my sugar habit/addiction has been broken. Just 0.1kg shy of the 80kg milestone...I'll have to wait until next week to celebrate.

It's the 0.5 inch loss along the waist that makes me the most happy. I had an inkling that this would be a good weigh-in when I put on a pair of a certain pair of trousers that I hadn't worn in over 2 months. Back then, I could wear them standing up, but as soon as I would sit down I would have to undo the top button to let the gut out, otherwise it would be too uncomfortable :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Stay hard everyone :messenger_bicep::messenger_bicep::messenger_bicep:

This week:
78.3kg/172lb (-1.8kg/4lb)
Waist: 33.75 inches ( -0.25)

I finally smashed past the 80kg milestone!

tenor.gif

Hopefully, at some point next year I'll pass it again, only this time due to gaining muscle rather than losing fat :messenger_bicep: 💪 :messenger_bicep: 💪 :messenger_bicep: 💪

Last edited:

Kazza

I start with an ankle routine that I put together with this vid and reading his blog on top of some other vids I can't remember rn lol. A friend had come to me to train him and we found that he had terrible flexibility in his ankles due to years of hiking in boots while in the army so I ended up putting together a routine for him, this is just one of the things I ended up incorporating into my prep.

I start with my back to the wall. I do 1 set of 12 heel raises with my feet about 1 and a half foot lengths away from the wall. Just stand where you feel it the most.

Holy shit, I winced when he jumped with his ankles twisted like that! I thought I had messed up my right ankle earlier this week. Embarrassingly, I twisted it while taking my trousers off :messenger_tears_of_joy: . I thought "fuck, this is going to really hurt tomorrow", but watching that video reminded me of the incident, because actually I didn't feel any pain afterwards, despite it seemingly like it could be a bad twist at the time. The yoga I do does involve some moves where you are twisting your ankle like that, so maybe I've already strengthened enough there to not get injured as easily as I did before.

Still, I wouldn't want to risk jumping like that!

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
A kick up the arse is irrelevant, unnecessary. A man simply identifies a problem and goes to solve it with the available tools. I identified a weight problem so got that solved with diet and exercise. I then identified a fitness problem and I’m working on fixing it with regular runs. Once that’s sorted I’ll work on the muscle bulk problem. It’s easy, motivation is temporary, discipline is permanent.

Top Bottom