• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT| Pumpin' Iron and Spittin' Blood.

TTOOLL

New dilemma, folks. I’ve mentioned I’m trying to gain weight, so running would be counterproductive of course. At the same time I don’t want to stop altogether cause I like it and it makes me feel good.

So this is what I’m doing right now.

Mon: rest
Tue: CrossFit
Wed: rest
Thu: CrossFit
Fri: CrossFit
Sat: Running
Sunday: Running

It’s been pretty hard to reach my calorie goal, I confess, and this is making me thinking about stop running.

What do you think?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
New dilemma, folks. I’ve mentioned I’m trying to gain weight, so running would be counterproductive of course. At the same time I don’t want to stop altogether cause I like it and it makes me feel good.

It’s been pretty hard to reach my calorie goal, I confess, and this is making me thinking about stop running.

What do you think?

I struggle at times to hit my calorie goal as well. I'm doing intermittent fasting so that contributes as well. Someone here mentioned trail mix. That's been a useful tip for me as 81g = 350+ cals.

SpiceRacz

What do you think?

Depending on the intensity of your workouts, you may not even need to be running. Maybe cut it down to once a week.

Tesseract

Banned
robert irvine's fit crunch bars are fucking delicious

tenor.gif

teezzy

Banned
I've never felt so much discipline driving me. I haven't missed a day yet. I'm thinking of buying some power blocks once they get in stock again. I also crushed my interview for Director of my team at work. teezzy teezzy tell us how awesome your day was!

I'm in a real good mood honestly. i won't pretend like I didn't hit a funk after my mom passed on 11/10... but a little over a month later and I'm back on track. Definitely splurged a little on crap food for comfort for a second, but I'm frying up some chicken thighs and spinach in coconut oil as I type this and wrap up today's work. I'm eating healthy again and I feel refreshed and optimistic. Things got dark for a second lol, but I survived.... like I usually do.

Glad to hear you're kickin ass Quick - thanks for checkin in!! :cool:

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
2.86 mile run this morning. It’s not much but I’m 40 and out of shape so it’s a step in the right direction. Getting old sucks.

Weight is holding steady so looks like it won’t need management in the short term so I can focus on getting this one job done.

Closed my rings on Apple fitness 9 days straight now.

Chart is heart rate.

D2Fa9hm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutty Flam

Banned

What do you think?
I agree with SpiceRacz SpiceRacz 's suggestion, two running sessions might be overkill if you’re training hard 3x per week at the crossfit gym you’re training at. I would rest Sat. and run on Sunday if that was my program to follow

But I definitely wouldn’t give up on the running. You’re going to pack on more muscle over the months if you can run each week at least once as opposed to resting and completely omitting that activity. As long as you're not too taxed from those three workouts during the weekdays I'd say go for it man. Michael Phelps had to throw down for about 10k calories most days during his offseason when he was training in his prime. I say keep it going and get the nutrition in. Buy some protein bars, eat a tablespoon or two of coconut oil, tail mix, nut butter to the max in the real food protein shake(s) sometimes I’ll put in as much as 4 tbsp of almond butter. Coming up short and looking flat shouldn't be an option, gotta eat like a fucking hogg on the warpath. Takes grinding but it’s well worth it. I’d rather get the calories and ensure I’m going to put myself in a position to pack on mass and gain strength. It's tough as fuck to consistently put on muscle without the surplus imo, hitting all your meals until you reach your numbers is a must though every day. Fasting can boost metabolism way up as well if you go about it correctly; it's not always about food but it's generally sound advice to stay consistent with that bulking phase most days if you're after size

I usually try to just eat as much quality items as I can first meal of the day and then a second meal, sometimes a third or even fourth it all depends but the first meal 100% sets the tone for everything I feel. You don't want to fuck that up, eat like a king and eat nonstop and then you can coast rest of the day through. That's how I prefer to tackle it. Training is the fun part, the actual work is eating and making sure these calories add up lol

TTOOLL

I agree with SpiceRacz SpiceRacz 's suggestion, two running sessions might be overkill if you’re training hard 3x per week at the crossfit gym you’re training at. I would rest Sat. and run on Sunday if that was my program to follow

But I definitely wouldn’t give up on the running. You’re going to pack on more muscle over the months if you can run each week at least once as opposed to resting and completely omitting that activity. As long as you're not too taxed from those three workouts during the weekdays I'd say go for it man. Michael Phelps had to throw down for about 10k calories most days during his offseason when he was training in his prime. I say keep it going and get the nutrition in. Buy some protein bars, eat a tablespoon or two of coconut oil, tail mix, nut butter to the max in the real food protein shake(s) sometimes I’ll put in as much as 4 tbsp of almond butter. Coming up short and looking flat shouldn't be an option, gotta eat like a fucking hogg on the warpath. Takes grinding but it’s well worth it. I’d rather get the calories and ensure I’m going to put myself in a position to pack on mass and gain strength. It's tough as fuck to consistently put on muscle without the surplus imo, hitting all your meals until you reach your numbers is a must though every day. Fasting can boost metabolism way up as well if you go about it correctly; it's not always about food but it's generally sound advice to stay consistent with that bulking phase most days if you're after size

I usually try to just eat as much quality items as I can first meal of the day and then a second meal, sometimes a third or even fourth it all depends but the first meal 100% sets the tone for everything I feel. You don't want to fuck that up, eat like a king and eat nonstop and then you can coast rest of the day through. That's how I prefer to tackle it. Training is the fun part, the actual work is eating and making sure these calories add up lol

Thanks for the write up, Cutty. I appreciate it!! I decided to run just once a week. It’s gonna be a hard one, zone3/4 for about 45min.

I rested yesterday and ate well so I recovered I what had lost from Sunday to Monday.

It’s crazy though, in three days I went from 75,5kg to 74,1 and back to 75,5 again today.
Haven’t hit 76 yet in these two weeks of training but that’s alright

The biggest changes I’ve seen so far are in my abs and back. CrossFit is pretty good for abs.

2.86 mile run this morning. It’s not much but I’m 40 and out of shape so it’s a step in the right direction. Getting old sucks.

Weight is holding steady so looks like it won’t need management in the short term so I can focus on getting this one job done.

Chart is heart rate.

D2Fa9hm.jpg

Way to go, dude! Running is amazing for your health! Just pay attention to the miles/week you’re doing. Don't increase it too fast.

People usually say a 10% increase is safe. If you double your mileage from one week to another you might injure yourself.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Way to go, dude! Running is amazing for your health! Just pay attention to the miles/week you’re doing. Don't increase it too fast.

People usually say a 10% increase is safe. If you double your mileage from one week to another you might injure yourself.

Cheers - actually I'm mostly focusing on heart rate. Basically I want to keep it in that yellow/orange zone for as long as possible - sticking with half an hour for now. The assumption I'm making is that as I get fitter I'll be able to do more for the same heart rate, which will give me a sensible way to increase the load. Got the watch letting me know when I cross the lines so I can keep it in the zone. Likely I'll have a couple of days a week where I just walk instead of running to give my legs a break but still maintain some decent level of movement and calorie burn, but otherwise I'll be pounding that road. It helps that I've got quite a nice route with some good inclines and some cracking country views.

TTOOLL

Cheers - actually I'm mostly focusing on heart rate. Basically I want to keep it in that yellow/orange zone for as long as possible - sticking with half an hour for now. The assumption I'm making is that as I get fitter I'll be able to do more for the same heart rate, which will give me a sensible way to increase the load. Got the watch letting me know when I cross the lines so I can keep it in the zone. Likely I'll have a couple of days a week where I just walk instead of running to give my legs a break but still maintain some decent level of movement and calorie burn, but otherwise I'll be pounding that road. It helps that I've got quite a nice route with some good inclines and some cracking country views.

Well, actually, you should aim to maintain your HR in the green zone. 80% of your running mileage should be easy. This will develop your aerobic base and avoid injuries. You’ll be able to run more because your body will recover faster.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Chart is heart rate.

D2Fa9hm.jpg

The Apple monthly challenges & daily goals are a good motivator. I started not giving a damn, to wanting to close my rings with some regularity, to now closing them every single day. The monthly challenges ramp up each month and push you to do a little more than your past average. It can be brutal at times but it actually pushed me to go harder than I would have left to my own.

The watch was the best purchase I've made toward healthy improvements in years.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Well, actually, you should aim to maintain your HR in the green zone. 80% of your running mileage should be easy. This will develop your aerobic base and avoid injuries. You’ll be able to run more because your body will recover faster.

Tbh green isn't exactly pushing. Any actual jogging takes me into the yellow - as I said I'm pretty seriously unfit. So far I've run 7 days and walked 2 so it seems to be working ok and not killing me. I've really got to go hard to get things sorted quickly.

The Apple monthly challenges & daily goals are a good motivator. I started not giving a damn, to wanting to close my rings with some regularity, to now closing them every single day. The monthly challenges ramp up each month and push you to do a little more than your past average. It can be brutal at times but it actually pushed me to go harder than I would have left to my own.

I did a bit of research as I wanted something that would lead to a bit of addiction, of a healthy kind. Specifically the ability to analyse data, compare, and properly monitor my progress. Obviously I've not had it long so I've not encountered the monthly challenges yet so we'll see how that works out. All in all though it seems to be a useful gadget in terms of pushing me to do more.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark

What do you think?
Wed is your bitch day ;)

TTOOLL

Tbh green isn't exactly pushing. Any actual jogging takes me into the yellow - as I said I'm pretty seriously unfit. So far I've run 7 days and walked 2 so it seems to be working ok and not killing me. I've really got to go hard to get things sorted quickly.

That's it, you're not supposed to be pushing it, especially being unfit as you said. Of course it won't kill you, the human body is amazing and you can do a lot of things if you want to. I'm just saying this because I'm thinking about the long run (pun intended).

If you feel like "I'm running too slow but I'm in green" you're doing it right. Your body will tell you to go faster but you gotta hold yourself. Shin splints can be a problem.

"Shin splints are a common beginner's injury, so many seasoned runners assume they're immune. But medial tibial stress syndrome, the top cause of shin splints, is usually triggered by overtraining--something that can befall even experienced runners. If you feel soreness or pain along your shinbone while running, check your training log. Chances are you've increased your mileage or intensity too much without enough rest. Other causes include running on hard or uneven road surfaces and wearing worn-out shoes. Stretching, strengthening, icing, and replacing shoes are effective rehab strategies (see below). If your pain persists, you might have a stress fracture or compartment syndrome, conditions that require a doctor's care. "

It really helps, my fiancée has one and she loves it. The Health app though... it needs a complete overhaul. Garmin does it better.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
That's it, you're not supposed to be pushing it, especially being unfit as you said. Of course it won't kill you, the human body is amazing and you can do a lot of things if you want to. I'm just saying this because I'm thinking about the long run (pun intended).

If you feel like "I'm running too slow but I'm in green" you're doing it right. Your body will tell you to go faster but you gotta hold yourself. Shin splints can be a problem.

"Shin splints are a common beginner's injury, so many seasoned runners assume they're immune. But medial tibial stress syndrome, the top cause of shin splints, is usually triggered by overtraining--something that can befall even experienced runners. If you feel soreness or pain along your shinbone while running, check your training log. Chances are you've increased your mileage or intensity too much without enough rest. Other causes include running on hard or uneven road surfaces and wearing worn-out shoes. Stretching, strengthening, icing, and replacing shoes are effective rehab strategies (see below). If your pain persists, you might have a stress fracture or compartment syndrome, conditions that require a doctor's care. "

A couple of times in the first couple of runs I felt some pain but I eased off and it was fine. No such pain on the more recent runs - I'll keep an eye out for it though and cut down if I see anything like that happening. I'm a little careful as it is because my knees aren't the best (they've never been entirely right since they randomly blew up like a couple of balloons one time when I was a kid) - I suspect the knees would give me shit before the shins if it came down to it. I'm old and I know my body, I know its weaknesses (of which there are many).

I am of course doing a sensible warm up before I start too, first few runs I didn't but I've added that to my routine having noted a few recommendations in that area.

quickwhips

I worked out today and dug deep just like I know teezzy teezzy is. I also worked hard at work today. No fucking slack boys! I bought my team at work Christmas presents and snuck in extreme ownership book so maybe they will drink the kool aid that I'm selling. Dig deep work hard everybody! Won't need a resolution for new years if you are on the right path today! I looked in the mirror today and said fuck yeah it's paying off.

quickwhips

Its been a tough year but I got off my ass and found some motivation. I'm on my way but I have a long hard road a head. Good. Most things worth doing don't come easy. 35 days of working out and the routine of doing it is awesome but i need more weights as I don't have a lot to work with but I'm making it work for now. I started eating a little better and that is awesome. When you hungry everything taste good. :D Also Alcohol intake is down. I still need my glass of whiskey twice a week.

I was thinking of getting the Powerblock 50 exp so I could get up to 90 later on when I need it. Anyone use these?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Its been a tough year but I got off my ass and found some motivation. I'm on my way but I have a long hard road a head. Good. Most things worth doing don't come easy. 35 days of working out and the routine of doing it is awesome but i need more weights as I don't have a lot to work with but I'm making it work for now. I started eating a little better and that is awesome. When you hungry everything taste good. :D Also Alcohol intake is down. I still need my glass of whiskey twice a week.

I was thinking of getting the Powerblock 50 exp so I could get up to 90 later on when I need it. Anyone use these?

Cool dumbbell. Never used that but a buddy has one of those clicky-dial Bowflex adjustable sets and it's a nice piece of kit. If your dumbbells are a core of your routine I bet you'd get a lot of use out of it.

quickwhips

Cool dumbbell. Never used that but a buddy has one of those clicky-dial Bowflex adjustable sets and it's a nice piece of kit. If your dumbbells are a core of your routine I bet you'd get a lot of use out of it.
Yeah I looked at those also but hopefully as I grow stronger I'll need more weight and thought this made sense. Bowflex look awesome also. Plus this can be turned into a kettlebell.

Last edited:

TTOOLL

early rise ...

more sunshine and heavier cardio rules the day, well as plenty push ups and pull ups, burpees and crawls, jump rope

trying to meditate more, mostly get lost down strange physics portals

Dude, 5:30 and I'm up already, every weekday. These past couple of weeks have been crazy with holiday events at school, all online but whatever, they take time.

I'm pretty happy I'm being able to keep my training and nutrition at good standards. My weight is actually up this week, scale showed 76.5 this morning. I can't remember the last time I hit 76kg (167 pounds).

Did lots of clean and jerks today and around 70 wall balls. Also, we always do some ab exercises.
The workout was this: (14min cap)
1 clean and jerks
10 wall balls
2 clean and jerks
10 wall balls
10 C&J
10 WB

I stopped at the beginning of the 8th round. Felt really heavy and good. I'm weak now since I've been only running for more than a year but that's ok, did the C&Js with 40kg (88 pounds), wall balls were ok to easy.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
A weird thing - my weight has always fluctuated heavily day to day (or at least it has since I got old) - sometimes as much as 2 or 3 pounds, even weighing at the same time in the morning. Now I'm running it stays exactly on the same spot every day. Peculiar.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Is this thread going to start over in 2021? I'd love to jump in but don't want to play catchup on where everyone is (in terms of reading).

Thinking about streaming some high intensity interval training sessions (around 30 minutes) on twitch after the first because I seem to push myself a little harder if there's a chance somebody is watching and judging me.

TTOOLL

"Funny thing", I usually have dairy products without any consequences, however, a week after I started having whey protein I noticed a huge discomfort in my stomach, it started mildly but then it got serious to the point I couldn't eat anything else that day. So I might be lactose intolerant after all. Plant based could be an option but that shit is too expensive here.

Is this thread going to start over in 2021? I'd love to jump in but don't want to play catchup on where everyone is (in terms of reading).

Thinking about streaming some high intensity interval training sessions (around 30 minutes) on twitch after the first because I seem to push myself a little harder if there's a chance somebody is watching and judging me.

Why wait? Come and join us!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
"Funny thing", I usually have dairy products without any consequences, however, a week after I started having whey protein I noticed a huge discomfort in my stomach, it started mildly but then it got serious to the point I couldn't eat anything else that day. So I might be lactose intolerant after all. Plant based could be an option but that shit is too expensive here.
start making milk kefir. Cyborg billygoat stomach forged in steel.

Tesseract

Banned

jump in whenever you want, easy come and go

DrJohnGalt

Banned

I made the jump from regular milk to almondmilk a few years back and really feels like it made a difference. I haven't given up dairy completely (pizza is my guilty pleasure) but whenever I have it I notice I get a layer of phlegm lining my throat.

Getting old sucks.

Tell me about it. Was getting ready to go work out a while back, realized I'd left my phone on the bed (use it for listening to music), leaned over the bed to grab it and... SNAP. Right calf muscle tore. Just like that, felt like someone shot me in the leg. At least it didn't happen while doing squats.

Edit: I'm in my mid-forties, in case anyone was wondering just how decrepit I am. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

quickwhips

I just jumped in. Gaf is way nice and encouraging. I'll @ you everyday if you post twice. :D

phone on the bed (use it for listening to music), leaned over the bed to grab it and... SNAP

I have my browser sized such that "SNAP" was the last word on the line and as I read that I'm like holy shit, this just happened to my us. Except as I continued reading on, it was obviously not the case.

My story:

After recently having a great day of PRs in squats and deadlifts, which I mentioned a few days back, me and my son had a shit day yesterday. Neither of us were "feeling it" for the workout and we couldn't feed off of each other's energy. His hip was bugging him, my strength wasn't there. As I was getting set under the bar to do another set of squats I heard a snap "THWACK". His phone fell off the work table and onto the garage floor face down. We were both like "FUUUUUCK, NOOOO"
I think it was only the 2nd time ever that I just walked away from a workout. We just couldn't get our heads back into it.

Today was a new day. New screen ordered off of Amazon, and the workout was awesome. Overhead press PRs for my son this time!

I have my browser sized such that "SNAP" was the last word on the line and as I read that I'm like holy shit, this just happened to my us. Except as I continued reading on, it was obviously not the case.

My story:

After recently having a great day of PRs in squats and deadlifts, which I mentioned a few days back, me and my son had a shit day yesterday. Neither of us were "feeling it" for the workout and we couldn't feed off of each other's energy. His hip was bugging him, my strength wasn't there. As I was getting set under the bar to do another set of squats I heard a snap "THWACK". His phone fell off the work table and onto the garage floor face down. We were both like "FUUUUUCK, NOOOO"
I think it was only the 2nd time ever that I just walked away from a workout. We just couldn't get our heads back into it.

Today was a new day. New screen ordered off of Amazon, and the workout was awesome. Overhead press PRs for my son this time!
Hate days like that. You find yourself just sitting on the bench like, "Do I power through it or say fuck it...." For me, it's usually some old injury that's nagging me, so if I do decide to keep at it I end up having to re-tool the workout on the fly to accommodate said injury so as not to aggravate it.

Drake

Back in the gym after re-opening the last 2 days. Feels great. Little sore, but not too bad. Didn't really lose much strength which was nice.

Tried running on the treadmill again with a mask on and I do not enjoy it. Do you guys go for runs/walks outside in the winter? I kinda want to do it but I HATE the cold. I cannot describe how much I hate weather below 40 degrees.

Back in the gym after re-opening the last 2 days. Feels great. Little sore, but not too bad. Didn't really lose much strength which was nice.

Tried running on the treadmill again with a mask on and I do not enjoy it. Do you guys go for runs/walks outside in the winter? I kinda want to do it but I HATE the cold. I cannot describe how much I hate weather below 40 degrees.

If you use layers, you might be surprised how quickly you have to start shedding them if you go for a run in the cold. Source? Am Canadian.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

I’m doing my runs early morning in the dark at 4 Celsius. I’m an idiot.

I don't do cardio in the cold weather, just because I've been prone to pneumonia many times in the past. I'll lift in the ice cave that is my garage, but no running/jogging outdoors during this time of year. For cardio, I rely on a recumbent bike while something plays on the big screen.

Top Bottom