• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT| Pumpin' Iron and Spittin' Blood.

TTOOLL

Holy shit, yesterday's workout killed my arms, they've been literally shaking since I finished it. Brushing my teeth and washing my hair were a pain. I don't remember the last time I felt like this, even when I started CrossFit I felt this.

This is the damn thing if you wanna try:

9min cap

2 hang snatches
5 pullups, 10 pushups and 15 squats
4 hang snatches
6 hang snatches
8 hang snatches
10 hang snatches

I finished the last 5 pullups and did 1 pushup.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Yeah, this is my last attempt at running before I admit I'm old and have to switch it up. I've always enjoyed running though, so I'm being a bit stubborn about it.
I hit that mark a few years ago. Even had to cut back on the heavy bag to just once or twice a week due to issues with hands and joints. Sucks when you finally have to admit it, but I've moved on to low-impact things and body-weight exercises over running and plate weight pumping. Mid-40s now and happy just to maintain. And honestly feel a lot better the past few years than when I was bulked up.

teezzy

Banned
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first flatulent-propelled man. teezzy teezzy will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, fartier.

fart GIF

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Q1 of 2021 is crunch time for me. First week of March marks my 1yr anniversary of working out with kettlebells and posting my progress in this thread. So over the next 8 weeks I'm gonna spend some time reviewing what I did in 2020 (this thread will be handy).

I think I've done a good job of staying consistent (so far). I worked out every single day, varying the intensity and number of sets based on my energy level. Establishing that daily habit has been the #1 win for me, personally, beyond any of the specific tools or techniques I've gained. Consistency is a powerful weapon. In March I'll brain-dump a bunch of vain gloating (and/or making lame excuses) for the goals I achieved (and the ones I failed) during this first year.

To usher in the new year, my wife and I ordered a freestanding medicine ball tree and two more slam balls (25 and 35lb). The current ones I own are scattered on the floor, which seems lazy. I'd also like to get/build a rack for my kettlebells and the gym mats, just to keep everything clean and off the garage floor.

Dunno if any of you partake in new year's resolutions. I don't take them too seriously, but it's fun to set goals. So this year I'm hoping to make gym rings the main focus for improvement. I want to really increase my competency with that tool and to learn more forms for it. Ring exercises are always included in my daily routine and I'd like to get better at them. Not gonna say I'll be doing iron crosses or planches by March 2022, but I'll aim in that direction and see how far I get.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
^^ I already have a 15lb slam ball that I use daily, plus a few lighter ones. It's good for full-body lifts, like that one-handed dunk I mentioned a few months back. Tossing around the yard, or dropping on your abs while holding up your legs, etc are useful applications. Also great for isometrics, like holding it in your palm and extending straight out, holding for as long as you can. Of course, other tools can be used for this. I'm pretty fond of simple, flexible tools and I'm sure there are 1,000 other uses for medicine balls. Slams are fine but it is just one out of many purposes. you might not bother with them.

The heavier ones will be nice for slams but even nicer for isometrics. I can already hold the 15lb out in front of me for awhile, and i do alternating sets of those until my bicepts, wrists, and my upper back muscles ache. Doing this with the 6lb medicine ball is pretty much free now (I can hold it out for several minutes at a time), and this has tremendous applications for simple, important iso strengths like holding up my hands (as in boxing). Slowly I will progress into the 25lb and 35lb, holding them out and continuing to build up that isometric strength. It's not an exercise that makes you sweat, or huff and puff, or exhaust your cardio, but it's still tough.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
New Year, New You?

Resolutions are made by newbs to be broken.

So let's talk goals for 2021. What are you working toward this year? Is it the same or different from last year? Give us a general idea or add your own!

• Gain Weight
  • Lose Weight
  • Bulk Up
  • Slim /Tone/Define
  • Maintain
  • Increase Strength
  • Increase Speed
  • Increase Stamina
  • Increase Power
  • Go for a personal best

Personal best could be beating your best max on bench or legs, increasing your reps/sets per workout, running further, beating your best time, etc.

Anybody plan on drastically changing their routine from 2020? Or adding something completely new?

For me, I'm just trying to maintain. Keeping my speed and stamina and staying "fighting fit" is important to me. Also I'd like to lose the muffin top and burn off a bit more of the layer over my abs for no other reason that seeing a nice cut after being heavy for so long keeps me motivated. All my life I've trained hard in combatives and have been trying to come up with creative ways to work that stuff into my routine. I think I've come up with a great routine that combines shadowboxing and drawing from concealment. So far it's still fun and kicks my ass every time. My Krav gym closed about 10 months ago (and officially shut down for good about 6 months ago) so I hope find a new sparring partner in 2021.

How about you guys? All the best in your exercise and fitness goals for 2021!

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Got a Ring Fit for Christmas with will add a fun extra to my routine. Christmas was a bit slack compared to what went before it but was much more active than Christmas usually is due to not wanting to disappoint the Apple Watch. I’ve gained far less weight than usual. This puts me in a good place, my best starting point to a year in a good while. Resting today but back on it tomorrow, I intend to get properly fit.

Last edited by a moderator:

TTOOLL

New Year, New You?

Resolutions are made by newbs to be broken.

So let's talk goals for 2021. What are you working toward this year? Is it the same or different from last year? Give us a general idea or add your own!

• Gain Weight
  • Lose Weight
  • Bulk Up
  • Slim /Tone/Define
  • Maintain
  • Increase Strength
  • Increase Speed
  • Increase Stamina
  • Increase Power
  • Go for a personal best

Personal best could be beating your best max on bench or legs, increasing your reps/sets per workout, running further, beating your best time, etc.

Anybody plan on drastically changing their routine from 2020? Or adding something completely new?

For me, I'm just trying to maintain. Keeping my speed and stamina and staying "fighting fit" is important to me. Also I'd like to lose the muffin top and burn off a bit more of the layer over my abs for no other reason that seeing a nice cut after being heavy for so long keeps me motivated. All my life I've trained hard in combatives and have been trying to come up with creative ways to work that stuff into my routine. I think I've come up with a great routine that combines shadowboxing and drawing from concealment. So far it's still fun and kicks my ass every time. My Krav gym closed about 10 months ago (and officially shut down for good about 6 months ago) so I hope find a new sparring partner in 2021.

How about you guys? All the best in your exercise and fitness goals for 2021!

I set my goal last December, I wanted to put on a few kilos so I pretty much stopped running and went back to CrossFit. Started at around 73.5kg I’m now at 77 constantly when I wake up.
I intend to keep doing CrossFit during January and hit 80kg by February then I don’t know what I’m going to do because I need to know my work schedule.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Tesseract Tesseract the ankle/wrist weights seem to work fine when doing somersaults and slamfalls. An extra 20lb ain't much, either, so they don't interrupt most of my other routines or moves. It's nice to combo them up, like holding out the NSD spinner and working the wrist, or skipping rope, or doing resistance band chest flies, or even normal isos like leg raises or arm raises, etc.

They're bulkier than I expected but so far they don't impede my wrists, hands, or feet very much, since they are flexible and weighted by sand. Fun tool. I don't see myself using them constantly but it'll be a nice option.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So I have been doing to following routine lately on weight lifting days:
- Shoulder shrugs w/ dumbbells
- Bicep curls
- Bodyweight Squats (conditioning knee & hip injury from a long time ago)
- Pushups
- Kettlebell swings
- Pullups / Chinups (alternating each workout day)
- Farmer walks w/ dumbbells ( 3 laps around a small circuit)
- Situps

I do this every other day (Today weights, tomorrow run, weights, run, so on). I do one round, then walk on the treadmill until the timer hits the next 10 min increment (start w/ 0 on the clock, at 10mins do round 2, 20 mins round 3, so on). As of right now, I have about 3 mins between sets that I use to walk not he treadmill to keep my heart rate up.

Are there other activities I should throw in to round out my workout? Keep in mind my knee and hip are a bit fucked and anything with them needs to be bodyweight only for the moment.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
you got RingFit @hariseldon ? I love you, please keep me posted.

The 5lb wrist weights arrived today, along with the 35lb slam ball, so my buddy and I spent the last 4 hours in my 30F garage, doing isos and slamdunking the 35. My whole body feels great.

So, done a few sessions with the Ring Fit, as an addition to the running. Now clearly the calorie count for what it burns isn't massive, but it's something and it's useful, and it does knacker me out at the end, which suggests it's doing some good. This morning I did a 3 mile run and a couple of hours later hit the ring fit and my quads are feeling it (one of the boss battles involved squats). It's quite good fun and the ring itself has a decent amount of resistance though it probably wouldn't challenge the full gym-maniacs here. Overall my early impression is that it'll get normies to a decent level of fitness but wouldn't necessarily be of much use to the hard-core.

InDaGulag

Well I managed to run just shy of 2,500 km last year in 2020. Which represented a 117% increase over the previous year of 2019.

As for this year I’m going to try to cut down my intake of soda, the only junk I consume regularly, and run everyday. The latter hopefully leading to a goal of 3,000 km in 2021.

Top Bottom