• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT| Pumpin' Iron and Spittin' Blood.

God Enel

So after quite a while.. Now I’m fully back into training after more or less two months sitting on my ass and working 10-12 hours a day (still doing it but no excuses this time).
After doing pistol squats and regular squats my legs are still sore after three days and I hope tomorrow they’ll be fine again. It was long overdue to get back into working out.

For skipping workouts for so long I should punch myself. Feels good to be back guys.
lost a lot of flexibility (was one of my biggest strengths tbh) so I have to work myself back into the pancake and splits. Though I think I’ll be back into them at the end of this month or even before. Yesterday I already saw (or rather felt) a difference in comparison to when I started two days ago. I haven’t gained a lot of weight. A little bit but I’m going to shred it off rather quickly.
Only thing that’s annoying as fuck is my right shoulder. Still didn’t seem to heal after a two months break. Maybe I should visit a doctor 🙁

Cutty Flam

Banned
So after quite a while.. Now I’m fully back into training after more or less two months sitting on my ass and working 10-12 hours a day (still doing it but no excuses this time).
After doing pistol squats and regular squats my legs are still sore after three days and I hope tomorrow they’ll be fine again. It was long overdue to get back into working out.

For skipping workouts for so long I should punch myself. Feels good to be back guys.
lost a lot of flexibility (was one of my biggest strengths tbh) so I have to work myself back into the pancake and splits. Though I think I’ll be back into them at the end of this month or even before. Yesterday I already saw (or rather felt) a difference in comparison to when I started two days ago. I haven’t gained a lot of weight. A little bit but I’m going to shred it off rather quickly.
Only thing that’s annoying as fuck is my right shoulder. Still didn’t seem to heal after a two months break. Maybe I should visit a doctor 🙁
I fell off as well. Injuries the past two months but am about to start amping back up the activity again. A little fluffy atm, but it will shed very quickly matter of two months. Was actually planning on starting up PT had an appt tmrw but had to cancel it due to Covid-19 protocols (minor chest cold, started about three days ago)

Going to go back and read what I missed either today or tmrw, I don't think I've lost much strength after taking it easy about 3 weeks out of the last 6 I'd say, but I can lose some fat and need to get back on track / fully dedicated again. The only thing I've refused to let go of is my pullups progress, I've made improvements there last week

Tesseract

Banned
Tesseract Tesseract the ankle/wrist weights seem to work fine when doing somersaults and slamfalls. An extra 20lb ain't much, either, so they don't interrupt most of my other routines or moves. It's nice to combo them up, like holding out the NSD spinner and working the wrist, or skipping rope, or doing resistance band chest flies, or even normal isos like leg raises or arm raises, etc.

They're bulkier than I expected but so far they don't impede my wrists, hands, or feet very much, since they are flexible and weighted by sand. Fun tool. I don't see myself using them constantly but it'll be a nice option.
wait, you are doing somersaults with ankle and wrist weights?

fucking hell m8, good work

Tesseract

Banned
nice to see more users training with weighted gear, i fell in love instantly and will never go back

hSraADW.png

Cutty Flam

Banned
this is joe's america now, let's get to work

giphy.gif
huge if true

Fat-titted Secretary / Intern: "Mr. President, you have a phone call from a young man who goes by the name of Cutty Flam AKA Franky, should I tell him to hold?"
Joe: That won't be necessary Bethany, I can take the call right now thank you. Hello?
Me: HALF REPS!? YOU FUCKING PUSSY! *click* *end call tone Biden left in the dust

Naw seriously though, if that's a real gif great to see him getting in the reps. Sometimes I would use breaks and lunch breaks to pump out a handful of sets. It all adds up

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So.. today I did my first sub-10 minute mile. 9 minutes 30 seconds to be precise. This was mostly achieved by not having to stop 4 or 5 times along the way to cough and wheeze and die, which is how it was when I started this shit. It feels like progress.

KVICTJN.jpg

What's interesting is that I was able to maintain a run without hitting red line, which is a nice improvement. Clearly my fitness is improving.

If we're posting workout bangers...

Last edited by a moderator:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
JWjjyAd.jpg

So this is a little session I did today with Ring Fit Adventure. You can put it on harder difficulty but tbh my thighs were once more fucked, though again this may be the running. Thought this chart might be informative.
i gotta get a tracker like that. I have a newer phone now that's compatible w various fitness watches. I want to get one that can track heartrate and blood O2 saturation. A daily/weekly tracker would be neat but otherwise nothing fancy is needed.

Tonight I am doing Wim Hof breathing cycles plus 5lb isos held out in each hand. Brutal on the muscles, the sort of ache that makes you involuntary clench your fists until they slowly loosen back up. Trying to strengthen my biceps and triceps to improve my ring pelican curls and ring pushups.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
i gotta get a tracker like that. I have a newer phone now that's compatible w various fitness watches. I want to get one that can track heartrate and blood O2 saturation. A daily/weekly tracker would be neat but otherwise nothing fancy is needed.

Tonight I am doing Wim Hof breathing cycles plus 5lb isos held out in each hand. Brutal on the muscles, the sort of ache that makes you involuntary clench your fists until they slowly loosen back up. Trying to strengthen my biceps and triceps to improve my ring pelican curls and ring pushups.

I’ve got an Apple Watch SE. I went with the cheap one so no blood O2 saturation but the full fat version has that. I didn’t see a need for my needs.

teezzy

Banned
With pushups - what is the importance of doing them all at a similar time? Any benefit in doing like 10 here, 15 there, 5 there, etc? Like throughout the day? I may even do more that way

I did my 50 today, but I'd rather not save 'em for after work the way I have been

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So running was a bit of a no-no this morning in -2C with freezing fog and a lot of ice on the ground. Had to settle for a 40 minute walk which I'll supplement with another 40 minute walk later today. Probably not a bad thing, my knees probably need a break and my legs have been getting a bit sore. I'm 40 but my body has taken a LOT of abuse over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
With pushups - what is the importance of doing them all at a similar time? Any benefit in doing like 10 here, 15 there, 5 there, etc? Like throughout the day? I may even do more that way

I did my 50 today, but I'd rather not save 'em for after work the way I have been
Muscle growth is a response to time under tension and hypertrophic stress-injury. Doing all the pushups together and putting in every ounce of your willpower will give you more of a hypertrophic response as your body red-lines. Doing small sets of pushups throughout the day will give you less hypertrophy but more cardiovascular training and more time-under-tension.

You'd want to increase from 50 at once (this is what you're currently doing?) to 100+ throughout the day if you plan to spread them out.

How to pushup? None of the YT vids work for me. I need to learn to do them by March as I have P.E. Practical Exam. Anyone have tips? Any other exercise to do before doing them?
Hand-release pushups are the easiest (for form) because they take away all of your momentum.

pushup_lightbox.jpg

Lower yourself down slowly. Lifting your hands is to confirm that your chest is resting on the ground. Push back up slowly. Pause at the top before doing another one. Don't rush. If you can only do a few at a time, that's fine.

Begin and end your sets with 1 minute of pushup planks. It's okay to collapse, just get back up and try to do a total of 60 seconds of planking before and after. This will build your overall isometric strength so that you don't wobble/shake on the way up or down. Move into 1 minute of 1-handed planks when you begin getting stronger.

Try to add in a pulling exercise for your back muscles, to compliment your pushup routine. Bodyweight rows and pulling on cables/resistance bands are good upper-back exercises.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned

If you do them throughout the day it could tax your body (muscles, joints, ligaments) a bit more unless you are warming up properly every time you knock out a set of pushups. It’s best to try to get your resistance training done one to two sessions if you can. If you immediately go into pushups without at least like a walk or something to get blood flowing to the body, then some warm up sets against a wall, on your knees, and then actual pushups then it could be risky; you run the risk of injury unless you’re a tank but even then, it isn’t wise at all to skip warming up and just drop down for 10, 20, 30. I’ve done that before. Didn’t take the warm up seriously several times and wound up having to take weeks and weeks off due to injury. You need that blood flow and you need those endorphins to adequately prepare the body for the stress you’re about to put it through

I’m very particular about the way I move through a workout, and I had to learn the hard way several times that you don’t fuck around with your warm ups; they set the tone for the entire workout imo and they also protect your body from acute injury. And the mental aspect as well. Imo it’s best to use the time during a warmup to feel out certain things. Like with pushups, I’ll go against the wall and do some wall pushups. I’ll do some pushups on the knees and if I’m tight in the chest or shoulders, that’s an indicator that maybe that day I don’t necessarily have my mind dead set on doing more pushups than I did last workout, but instead do what is comfortable within the working sets I have planned for that day, and work on improving range of motion for the chest/shoulders/tris and come back next time hopefully feeling more capable with no restrictions. It’s just my own way of doing things, but I’d say you’re saving your body from excess stress and strain if you do them once or twice instead of multiple times. I don’t know anyone who would want to warm up for 15-20 minutes 4-5 times a day but that is generally what it would take to ensure that you don’t hurt yourself and that you minimize risk for injury every time you want to perform some pushups

How to pushup? None of the YT vids work for me. I need to learn to do them by March as I have P.E. Practical Exam. Anyone have tips? Any other exercise to do before doing them?
Perfect form if you’re just starting out would be:

-Wrists parallel to your shoulders
-Hands should be splayed and your middle and ring fingers should be pointed toward 12 o’clock
-Feet about 8-12 inches apart from each other
-Brace your core by contracting your abs, squeezing your glutes, tucking your chin and look straight down throughout the entire motion. Lightly retract and depress your scapula like you are trying to pinch a tennis ball between your shoulder blades
-You want a 45 degree angle with your elbows as you lower yourself. You achieve this 45 degree angle by creating torque with your hands. You have to keep your hands planted, but you want to basically try to move the floor/ try to pull the floor apart to create this torque. Best way I can describe it, is to imagine your hands as screws, and you want to turn those screws (left hand counterclockwise, right hand clockwise) without moving your hands at all. This is essential because it’s going to create more stability in your shoulders and protect them in the long run you want to learn this technique early. Performing pushups with elbows flared out around 90 degrees is going to put undue stress on your joints possibly leading to injury
-Inhale on the eccentric portion of the pushup (descending), exhale on concentric portion or when you begin to actually push up towards the starting position

That’s pretty much ideal form. I always do light warm up sets of pushups on knees, warm up sets of rows of some sort (band or dumbells usually), and crunches some form of abs exercise to make sure all muscle groups are firing well and primed for the task before I jump into working sets performing pushups

Lol damn it feels like I typed the word ‘pushups’ like 30 times

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Tbh I went Apple Watch because I've got the phone etc and it all ties in nicely. Ultimately though whatever tool gets you the data you need is good. In the case of the watch, using FITIV, I get an audible notification when I change heart rate zone for instance, which is hugely useful so I don't go red line for too long, plus I can have it update me at distance or time intervals of my choosing with calorie burn, pace, and other useful info. If the Garmin does all that then it might be worth a look.

TTOOLL

Tbh I went Apple Watch because I've got the phone etc and it all ties in nicely. Ultimately though whatever tool gets you the data you need is good. In the case of the watch, using FITIV, I get an audible notification when I change heart rate zone for instance, which is hugely useful so I don't go red line for too long, plus I can have it update me at distance or time intervals of my choosing with calorie burn, pace, and other useful info. If the Garmin does all that then it might be worth a look.

The AW is amazing for its integration, but when we talk fitness data and options Garmin is years ahead of Apple, of course, they're reference in the business, they've been around for years and years.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The AW is amazing for its integration, but when we talk fitness data and options Garmin is years ahead of Apple, of course, they're reference in the business, they've been around for years and years.
Just googled and damn that's quite a gadget. Probably a little more useful for the professionals - I'm still strictly unfit slob trying to get shit together and the AW gives me enough data to get that job done. Still, when it eventually dies I'll go have a look at Garmin for my next gadget and hopefully by that point I'll be a bit fitter.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I 2nd the Apple Watch. Especially for anyone new or just getting back in. The awards are a good motivator to keep upping your performance.

teezzy

Banned
i love pushups so damn much. a lot easier to just do on my "lunch break" , more energy, so much fun tbh. i kinda crave it after getting the muscle memory down.

10 more to go until I hit 50. Maybe I'll shoot for 75 or something today, maybe another hundred, havent done that since monday. feels good to actually be active again. took me long enough. thanks to quickwhips quickwhips for just being an OG with all the fitness inspo

Basically this...

I-Wanna-Look-Good-Naked-from-Starling-Fitness.gif
tenor.gif

Last edited:

DrJohnGalt

Banned
This advice is simply for PE purposes, not necessary training. Find the pushup that works for you. Some people are better at standard pushups, some close (or military style), some wide, or diamond, or T, or legs apart. Depending on the rules of your PE you might be able to get away with doing a few one way then switching to another style (which means working a slightly different muscle group that isn't as tired). When I had PT tests in the military I was allowed to jump between styles as long as I didn't go to my knees or stand up.

Also it's good to do all the different types of pushups in a workout to hit the various muscle groups IMO.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Started doing OHP, bicep curls, and any trapezius work in front of a mirror again. It’s away from the area where I perform pullups so I wont be able to perform supersets this way but performing these exercises in front of a mirror allows me to constantly cue myself into perfect form throughout the entire set for every set. I feel like I get so much more out of the exercises with the feedback from the mirror. So I think this is the way from now on unless I install a mirror near the gym area

Got done with a legs workout a bit ago, hitting upper body in full tmrw. I can't tell what's going on with this chest cold, chest feels inflamed not the muscle tissue though and it sort of feels like I'm in the zone like you get when you're sick and have to work, perform, or decide to exercise anyway. I may have to lessen the volume and intensity tmrw but it should still be a fun and beneficial session

quickwhips

Still can't buy the dumbbells I want. I got after it today boys. I hit some PRs. I will say I am still always hungry on keto. I've lost 8lbs so far. I feel myself getting healthier and it's pretty dope. Get after it boys and girls! teezzy teezzy any updates broski?

quickwhips

i love pushups so damn much. a lot easier to just do on my "lunch break" , more energy, so much fun tbh. i kinda crave it after getting the muscle memory down.

10 more to go until I hit 50. Maybe I'll shoot for 75 or something today, maybe another hundred, havent done that since monday. feels good to actually be active again. took me long enough. thanks to quickwhips quickwhips for just being an OG with all the fitness inspo

Basically this...

I-Wanna-Look-Good-Naked-from-Starling-Fitness.gif
tenor.gif
Your my hero #getafterit. Push ups are awesome! Tesseract Tesseract helps me stay motivated also. Thanks everyone. I'm glad we are all doing good in the new year.

Also when you can't do anymore push ups do 10 more on you knees if you have to.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Lol yeah I get it

I think it's a lot easier to just live an active lifestyle

I did my best to do that before quarantine. It sorta came natural and I was 15 lbs or so lighter

Now it's an effort unfortunately

Trouble is (for me at least) I get a large salary doing an office job (well home working right now) that I couldn’t match working outdoors and I’ve got a mortgage to pay and a wife to fund, plus I have to keep the cats in the lifestyle they’ve become accustomed to. It is what it is.

Top Bottom