• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
MjFrancis said:
Your motivator seems to be working for you, too!

Thanks but I`m a little disappointed with my bench it seems like for the last 4 months I keep pulling something in my arm at work and its been really holding me back.

My dead lift blew me away it wasn`t very long ago when I could only do 285 before my grip would let go.

What type of goals are you guys aiming for on the weight, Ideally I want to bench 1 1/2 times my weight, squat 2 1/4 times weight and DL about 3 times weight. Whether I hit it or not is another thing altogether.

Ok so this was me 2 years ago
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/848/jeremy62009.jpg
20 years old, 300lbs
This is what I am working with now:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/813/jeremy62011.jpg
22 years old, 195lbs
I've been messing around in the gym for a few months, but no solid routine. Basically been just working on my upper body. Just starting to incorporate deadlifts and get my squat form down. I mainly want to cut down my BF and increase muscle a little. fat loss is the big thing.
Currently this is my diet.
10.A.M. breakfast, bowl of pain steel cut oats. splenda added for sweetness
1PM:turkey burger on wheat/chicken breast/pork chop with mashed potatoes/mixed veggies
7PM: same as above
9PM: workout MWF 9-11
11PM:2 scoops whey powder with water.

Not really sure why I can't lose any weight anymore. I do drink about twice a week, so I am thinking maybe that has a lot to do with it. what say you, GAF?

duk

Banned
i need something to help me gain muscle mass besides eating lots of protein and low in fat/carbs please. thanks!

rando14

jeremy70583 said:
Ok so this was me 2 years ago
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/848/jeremy62009.jpg
20 years old, 300lbs
This is what I am working with now:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/813/jeremy62011.jpg
22 years old, 195lbs
I've been messing around in the gym for a few months, but no solid routine. Basically been just working on my upper body. Just starting to incorporate deadlifts and get my squat form down. I mainly want to cut down my BF and increase muscle a little. fat loss is the big thing.
Currently this is my diet.
10.A.M. breakfast, bowl of pain steel cut oats. splenda added for sweetness
1PM:turkey burger on wheat/chicken breast/pork chop with mashed potatoes/mixed veggies
7PM: same as above
9PM: workout MWF 9-11
11PM:2 scoops whey powder with water.

Not really sure why I can't lose any weight anymore. I do drink about twice a week, so I am thinking maybe that has a lot to do with it. what say you, GAF?

Have you looked at some of the diets? Keto, etc? I know keto worked really well for me when I was cutting earlier this year.

It helps to have a system where you track calories. FitDay.com is a great resource.

Finally, getting serious with lifting weights (putting on calorie-hungry muscle mass) will help increase your metabolism, which should be beneficial in the long run.

Let us know if you have any other quesitons.

duk said:
i need something to help me gain muscle mass besides eating lots of protein and low in fat/carbs please. thanks!

Um, lift weights? Not sure exactly what you're asking.

rando14 said:
Have you looked at some of the diets? Keto, etc? I know keto worked really well for me when I was cutting earlier this year.

It helps to have a system where you track calories. FitDay.com is a great resource.

Finally, getting serious with lifting weights (putting on calorie-hungry muscle mass) will help increase your metabolism, which should be beneficial in the long run.

Let us know if you have any other quesitons.

Um, lift weights? Not sure exactly what you're asking.

Just read up on keto diets. So would i be able to atleast maintain/grow muscles while i was on this diet? or would i just have to get skinny before i could start putting on muscle? Also what should i cut out my diet? I'm assuming the oatmeal. What would i replace it with? I need something to eat at the office for breakfast. Also, I'm guessing I need a snack between lunch and dinner. what would you recommend?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Added some bentover barbell rows to my workout today after moving my workout to be after work.

Considering it was my first time doing them with a barbell, I tried to focus on making sure my form was correct. My form was a bit shaky when pulling the bar to my chest, but I managed to keep my back straight and my body still, so I was proud of that. I think I'll get the hang of this easily and I will hopefully develop more structural balance between my back and chest.

jeremy70583 said:
If you just started doing weights a few months ago and are maintaining your current weight, it's possible you're not losing weight because you are gaining muscle. Start taking measurements if you want to be sure, but that would be my guess. Keep up the weights, get with a solid program like one described in the OP and you'll be building solid lean muscle and losing fat. As for diet, you've come a long way -- congrats on that. As you know, it's gotta be something maintainable. A lifting program will change your dietary needs, so if anything you might add more protein.

X-Frame

Does anyone take contrast showers after they lift?

I've been doing it after each session and I swear it makes a huge difference with recovery. I can go into the shower feeling hot and worn down and come out relaxed and ready to lift again.

MjFrancis

I've been taking a sort of contrast shower after my strength training for a good bit now without knowing that it was a 'thing.' I scrub down in hot water and turn it to cold for a good minute or so at the end. I feel refreshed afterwards, but that's the only anecdotal benefit I can attest to it. I've had trouble finding reputable and reliable sources describing the benefits of contrast showers, though, so I've never recommended it. At the very least, it doesn't seem to hinder post-workout recovery.

parrotbeak said:
If you just started doing weights a few months ago and are maintaining your current weight, it's possible you're not losing weight because you are gaining muscle. Start taking measurements if you want to be sure, but that would be my guess. Keep up the weights, get with a solid program like one described in the OP and you'll be building solid lean muscle and losing fat. As for diet, you've come a long way -- congrats on that. As you know, it's gotta be something maintainable. A lifting program will change your dietary needs, so if anything you might add more protein.
Thanks man, What about what you see in my current diet, am i eating too many carbs, too infrequently, what would you tweek? I've heard to eat 5-6 small meals a day, I'm doing around 4 and still staying stationary, not sure if i'm eating too much during those 4 meals, or too infrequently

jeremy70583 said:
Thanks man, What about what you see in my current diet, am i eating too many carbs, too infrequently, what would you tweek? I've heard to eat 5-6 small meals a day, I'm doing around 4 and still staying stationary, not sure if i'm eating too much during those 4 meals, or too infrequently
the 5-6 meals a day is bullshit. Nutrition timing is mostly a myth. 5-6 meals a day is only good for someone who wants to control hunger or someone who has a trouble eating a lot in one sitting. Other than that, eat when you're hungry.

My suggestions would be get some meaty proteins with your breakfast. Eggs, bacon or something.

Eat some real food after your workout. It seems like your carbs are ok but of course I can't tell without seeing portion sizes, etc. Aim for 1 lb of protein per lb of bodyweight (or lean body mass if you know your fat percentages) and get around 80-100 grams of fat and the rest for carbs IMO.

The carbs and fat ratio is really up to you. The only golden rule is really the protein. Adjust the rest of your diet to your liking as long as you're not way over your BMR or more than 500-700 calories under your BMR.

Meier

Alright guys, I'm a bit confused. I don't weigh all that much (5'10", 160 as of Saturday) but started to get a bit of a belly so I decided to do something about it.

I've been going to the gym a few days a week for the past few weeks and have been eating a bit better and cut most of the soda from my diet.

Started doing some running and machines but oddly enough over the past week, feel like my shirts fit even worse than they did before I started working out.

I did about 5 miles on the treadmill on Tuesday then did a bunch of crunches on the machine that works out your abs plus a variety of other machines for arms/legs/chest. Is it possible that some of the musculature is developing under my stomach fat and that's why my shirts are tighter there? I hope so.. :\

Poindexter said:
the 5-6 meals a day is bullshit. Nutrition timing is mostly a myth. 5-6 meals a day is only good for someone who wants to control hunger or someone who has a trouble eating a lot in one sitting. Other than that, eat when you're hungry.

My suggestions would be get some meaty proteins with your breakfast. Eggs, bacon or something.

Eat some real food after your workout. It seems like your carbs are ok but of course I can't tell without seeing portion sizes, etc. Aim for 1 lb of protein per lb of bodyweight (or lean body mass if you know your fat percentages) and get around 80-100 grams of fat and the rest for carbs IMO.

The carbs and fat ratio is really up to you. The only golden rule is really the protein. Adjust the rest of your diet to your liking as long as you're not way over your BMR or more than 500-700 calories under your BMR.

I go to bed about 2 hours after my workout. Always heard not to eat that close to bedtime. Is it still okay to eat a protein rich meal after workout before bed?

X-Frame

jeremy70583 said:
I go to bed about 2 hours after my workout. Always heard not to eat that close to bedtime. Is it still okay to eat a protein rich meal after workout before bed?
It's a shame this myth is still around. I blame Oprah.

Anyway, if you're workout out at night that is the BEST time to eat the biggest meals before and after. Don't listen to anyone that says something stupid like "any food you eat after 9 PM turns to fat". It's BS.

While your body is more forgiving in terms of carbs in the first half of the day, once you workout and lift your muscles are screaming for nutrients. You don't need carbs around your workout if you're dieting as whey protein provides a good enough insulin response but if you had a limited amount of carbs to eat per day, it's perfectly fine eating them mostly around your workout.

MjFrancis

Nutrient timing myths are awesome. Time to repost Martin Berkhan's Top Ten Fasting Myths Debunked article. To anybody who eats all day, stick with it if it helps you adhere to your diet, but don't fall for broscience. Correlation does not equal causation, and finding gems on bodybuilding forums require wading through vast swamps of crap.

I fast at least 16 hours a day most days and depending on my caloric intake, I can lose fat or gain muscle. Total caloric intake is a larger factor than nutrient timing.

MjFrancis said:
Nutrient timing myths are awesome. Time to repost Martin Berkhan's Top Ten Fasting Myths Debunked article. To anybody who eats all day, stick with it if it helps you adhere to your diet, but don't fall for broscience. Correlation does not equal causation, and finding gems on bodybuilding forums require wading through vast swamps of crap.

I fast at least 16 hours a day most days and depending on my caloric intake, I can lose fat or gain muscle. Total caloric intake is a larger factor than nutrient timing.
nice read man, thanks. What about alcohol. Like i said, drinking is a big part of my social life. I only drink about twice a week, but feel like that is hindering my progress quite a bit.

jeremy70583 said:
nice read man, thanks. What about alcohol. Like i said, drinking is a big part of my social life. I only drink about twice a week, but feel like that is hindering my progress quite a bit.

Hard liqour.

MjFrancis

I can't repeat the exact process off the top of my head, but basically alcohol takes precedence over every other nutrient in your body once you start drinking. Alcohol will be burned for fuel as your body furiously depletes it from your system, while the cheeseburger and fries you ate at the bar with it will be stored as fat. Alcohol will also disrupt/shut down muscle protein synthesis during this process.

This news may be as hard for you as it was for me. I was a moderate drinker before, and I've been brewing my own beer at home for years now so that's been a little tougher. I give away more of it than I drink now. Usually I will restrict my drinking to one or two days a week, with 3-5 pints at a maximum/week. There are quite a few weeks where I won't have any alcohol at all, though, so it's hard to estimate.

I'll also add that it probably isn't hindering your progress "quite a bit" but it is disruptive. There are reported health benefits to drinking in moderation, but as far as body recomposition (esp. dieting) it just makes things more difficult than they need to be.

MjFrancis said:
I can't repeat the exact process off the top of my head, but basically alcohol takes precedence over every other nutrient in your body once you start drinking. Alcohol will be burned for fuel as your body furiously depletes it from your system, while the cheeseburger and fries you ate at the bar with it will be stored as fat. Alcohol will also disrupt/shut down muscle protein synthesis during this process.

This news may be as hard for you as it was for me. I was a moderate drinker before, and I've been brewing my own beer at home for years now so that's been a little tougher. I give away more of it than I drink now. Usually I will restrict my drinking to one or two days a week, with 3-5 pints at a maximum/week. There are quite a few weeks where I won't have any alcohol at all, though, so it's hard to estimate.

I'll also add that it probably isn't hindering your progress "quite a bit" but it is disruptive. There are reported health benefits to drinking in moderation, but as far as body recomposition (esp. dieting) it just makes things more difficult than they need to be.
That is what i figured...it seems like during the week i experience very slow steady drop in weight, then on monday after i've drunk all weekend, I've gained about 5lbs back. Also, where do u live cajun? I'm from lafayettte here.

jeremy70583 said:
That is what i figured...it seems like during the week i experience very slow steady drop in weight, then on monday after i've drunk all weekend, I've gained about 5lbs back. Also, where do u live cajun? I'm from lafayettte here.

I'm from Canada lol.

Hard liqour just has less excess calories than beer, but everything MJFrancis said about metabolism is true.

TheRagnCajun said:
I'm from Canada lol.

Hard liqour just has less excess calories than beer, but everything MJFrancis said about metabolism is true.
What is the name from then? did you come down here for school or something?

JCX

Alcohol thing really sucks, but I usually have less of a desire to drink since starting a regular exercise.

Mr.City

jeremy70583 said:

How much did you drink, man? You're most likely bloated.

Mr.City said:
How much did you drink, man? You're most likely bloated.
I usually drink light beer, anywhere from 12-24 a night. I'm pretty dehydrated in the morning, i usually lose about 3 lbs over the course of a drinking night, but when i rehydrate myself in the morning, I shoot up to about 3 lbs more than the day before.
Edit: this is only once or twice a week, not every night =)

Mr.City said:
So, you're drinking 12-24 beers a night, twice a week? And you don't know why you can't lose weight anymore?
aye, knew it was a hindrance, didn't know it would stop me all together. gonna have to atleast slow down/switch to hard liquor

MjFrancis

Google "A Musclehead's Guide to Alcohol" by Alan Aragon (great fitness authority). It was his only article on t-nation and I can't link to it at the moment. Martin Berkhan also did an article titled "The Truth About Alcohol, Fat Loss, and Muscle" in which he dispels many of the myths surrounding alcohol consumption and fitness, showing that much of the harm alcohol supposedly holds on muscles can be exaggerated. He lays out a strategy to drink and minimize the damage.

Obviously, binging will still screw your diet royally. Doubly so if you like(d) white russians.

As you have probably figured out jeremy70583, that alcohol intake twice a week bent your diet over backwards and had it's way with it. You can cheat and have a night out, but in moderation; daily caloric intake and BMR considerations still apply. This behavioral pattern is what gives alcohol consumption it's dangerous dues.

Meier

12-24 beers..wow. Even a light beer, that's at least 800-1600 calories and probably closer to 1200-2400.

reilo

Meier said:
12-24 beers..wow. Even a light beer, that's at least 800-1600 calories and probably closer to 1200-2400.
Holy shit I thought he meant ounces.

X-Frame said:
Does anyone take contrast showers after they lift?
Ya, I take a hot shower, then rinse off in cold. It's awesome. If I want to treat myself, I fill up the bath and dump a couple trays of ice into it. But I feel bad about wasting the water so I don't do it much.

Meier said:
Yep, we drink a lot where I'm from, hard to hang out with friends where alcohol is not involved. I'll just have to tone it down quite a bit and see if that helps.

rando14

Meier said:
Alright guys, I'm a bit confused. I don't weigh all that much (5'10", 160 as of Saturday) but started to get a bit of a belly so I decided to do something about it.

I've been going to the gym a few days a week for the past few weeks and have been eating a bit better and cut most of the soda from my diet.

Started doing some running and machines but oddly enough over the past week, feel like my shirts fit even worse than they did before I started working out.

I did about 5 miles on the treadmill on Tuesday then did a bunch of crunches on the machine that works out your abs plus a variety of other machines for arms/legs/chest. Is it possible that some of the musculature is developing under my stomach fat and that's why my shirts are tighter there? I hope so.. :\

A week of working out will, unfortunately, build very very little true muscle mass.

My guess is that after having given up soda, you are replacing it with water (which you should), and your body is adamantly retaining it.

Keep up your workouts, and remember, you mostly lose fat in the kitchen. Get a good diet and stick with it.

jeremy70583 said:
What is the name from then? did you come down here for school or something?

No. 'TheRagnCajun' is a nickname for Gambit, one of my fav superheroes. Its often my online alias and people always confuse me for being from Louisiana. Perhaps I should switch it sometime...

ShaneB

Think I fucked up my right hand yesterday at the gym. Doing various lifts and today it just hurts when trying to use it to apply force to anything.

Guess today will be a leg day and see if it gets better.

reilo

ShaneB said:
Think I fucked up my right hand yesterday at the gym. Doing various lifts and today it just hurts when trying to use it to apply force to anything.

Guess today will be a leg day and see if it gets better.
If there's swelling, there might be a good chance you have a hairline fracture. If it doesn't get better, get it checked out.

ShaneB

reilo said:
If there's swelling, there might be a good chance you have a hairline fracture. If it doesn't get better, get it checked out.

No swelling right now, but something I'll watch out for thanks.

edit: yeah, it really hurts when I bend my hand back.

Mr.City said:
Get the toilet in there and you're all set.

I got a bucket.

After 2 and a half weeks of no upper body routines, my elbows (inside of arms) are feeling much better.
Should be able to start back up next week with lightweight presses and pullups (actually, light weight lat pulldowns to start).

Not sure what the discomfort was - tendon, ligament? but nice to see that a rest has done it wonders. I don't mind pushing through the pain, but you know when it's a certain type of pain, and it's just not right - best to rest, otherwise I'd be out of the game for even longer. As it is, we'll see how my "muscle memory" is after the short layoff.

Going forward, at 38, I think I'm going to make sure to do more warm up sets, and take the recovery time that an old guy needs.

If there is one thing that has improved my workouts and lifts it is warmup sets. I have fully discovered how important they really are. Once I get stretched out and get quality warmup sets, my body feels much better and am ready to go for my workout.

And I hate my thin layer of fat. It is never going to go away =(

Parch

Booze doesn't get much slack anymore. One drink a day used to be considered healthy, but even that isn't recommended. Some of the studies on binge drinking are really negative. A guy can't have any fun anymore.

X-Frame said:
In all honesty, that right there might be an issue. Leg Presses and Machine Squats (depends on which machine you're talking about though) may lock you into a ROM that your body doesn't agree with.

What kind of knee pain is it? Where do you feel it? On the outside of the knee, under the knee cap?

Not entirely sure. It's like in the middle or slightly above it.

Maybe I'll start squatting again tommorrow. Would front squats be alright for my knee as I've described?

BTW, that squat machine was the one where you have the pads on your shoulders and you have to squeeze the bike-like lever to set the range of motion at the bottom. So basically you start at the bottom and then go up. There's a picture on the machine that shows you all kinds of different squats you can do.

Ok so i'm just back from shopping for food. Got plenty of meat for main meals (salmon,tilapia,chicken breasts,pork chops,beef steaks), but i was kinda stumped on good protein snacks for between meals. I picked up fruits, but i was looking at the nutrition for other things, and most had more carbs than I expected. I picked up greek yogurt cause i remember you guys talking about it(250 cals in a tiny cup!), and cottage cheese. Next time I go to the store, what would you guys recommend as an in between meal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom