• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

ACE 1991

Confession time: with buying a new house and having the new baby, I worked out 3 times in the last 6 weeks (all shitty business trip workouts without a bar). I hit it moderately hard today (bike plus 20 minutes of lifting) to re-familiarize myself with the weights. HOLY SHIT you lose strength fast.

I'll hopefully never have another 6 weeks like this again...

You gain it back pretty fast, too.

crpav

Confession time: with buying a new house and having the new baby, I worked out 3 times in the last 6 weeks (all shitty business trip workouts without a bar). I hit it moderately hard today (bike plus 20 minutes of lifting) to re-familiarize myself with the weights. HOLY SHIT you lose strength fast.

I remember back in 2012 when my son was born. THings changed and I stopped hitting them gym much. I then started working out at home mostly riding bike, a lot of it, and lifting the light weights I had as well as body weight stuff. Now that he is almost 5 I go to the gm 3 days a week at 5 in the morning(so I can do husband and dad duty after work).

The first month or so is hell, but you bounce back very fast. Keep at it.

ACE 1991

I have some weights and I've done some lifting, but it feels like it goes well for a couple of days, then I hit a wall. Any tips? Also tips on squatting properly? Cos I've tried it before, and It makes my thighs hurt really bad.

Does this happen over a prolonged period of consistent lifting? If not, it could just be your body getting used to the movements again. I'm sore as balls when I ever get back into lifting after a hiatus of 2+ weeks. Once I'm back in the swing of things I rarely get all that sore.

ACE 1991

Yes if I did one day on, one day off for two weeks or so. Then I have to stop and by the time I restart, its square one.

There's a big difference between soreness and injury-related pain. But yeah, definitely hop on an actual program. How many days a week do you want to be/can be in the gym? We can recommend stuff based on that.

#flexfriday, still can't flex properly for shit, still think i look better irl as opposed to pictures

9W5xjZW.jpg

full body pic

KillerBEA

Is it better to low-bar or high-bar squat?
Depends on personal anatomy and goals. High bar is marginally better for Quad hypertrophy and is an important part of Oly Weightlifting training. Part for leg development but it also helps with mobility and depth for the catch position for snatch and clean & jerk. Less shoulder mobility requirement but greater hip and knee mobility requirements.

Going too deep can cause hip and low back strain. But the highbar squat is also less neuro muscularly taxing than low bar making it ideal for a lot of people from a recovery stand point.

Low bar allows you to use more weight than highbar because of greater amount of your body is supporting the weight and you are using more musculature. This is better for overall development and strength. Which is why it's popular in the strength sport world ie Powerlifting and Strongman. More weights, more reps, more strength, more wins. Some people use highbar in powerlifting but there are far more people whose competition squat is a low bar.

Low bar has greater shoulder mobility requirements but less hip and knee mobility requirements. Rippetoe even suggests in Starting Strength that someone can start with Highbar to get started on squatting while working to improve mobility and once you're able to to switch to lowbar.

mdsfx

Technically it's a "trail" bike. It'll do virtually anything though.

Ah, that explains the front chainring size.

Side note: I feel like one day we'll get kicked out of here for talking​ about things unrelated to lifting. I figure if I always squeeze the word "squats" somewhere in my post I'll be safe though.

You can't argue with my quads. :D

Actually, even those are looking pretty small right now for me. Coming to the last week of my cut and I'm looking pretty damn wiry.

You're wasting your money on the BCAA + Glutamine. The science behind it is marginal at best, and usually focussed on fasted training.

Spend that money on a bunch of quest protein bars or having a tub of whey protein (there are loads of recommendations out there). That's your best bet for getting a good chunk of protein without a big increase in calories.

You can also make desserts out of Greek yoghurt with some fruit.

Packed with all the goodness of carcinogenic palm oil!

I've been following the starting strength method of the DL setup (also watching Alan Thrall's take on the Starting Strength DL method) and I think it's starting to come together

240 x 4

Any suggestions on form (and camera angles lol) are much appreciated

KillerBEA

I've been following the starting strength method of the DL setup (also watching Alan Thrall's take on the Starting Strength DL method) and I think it's starting to come together

240 x 4

Any suggestions on form (and camera angles lol) are much appreciated

Your hips look pretty high and it kind of looks like a stiff legged deadlift as result.

Sumo Deadlift 4 LYFE!!

Conventional!

I train sumo a little bit too

J_Viper

Is there something I can do to make my lower chest look less, strange?

I'm a bit self conscious about this, and feel they're a bit too "round"

I've always been wary of decline chest exercises, as I don't want my lower chest to get to big and look weird. Though I suppose I already do.

The chest exercises I integrate throughout the week are

Incline DB Press
Flat DB Press
Weighted Dips
Close Grip (arms locked at sides) DB Press
Incline Flies

J_Viper

Looks good. You're being oversensitive.

Agreed. Everyone's are different. Mine are kind of pointy at the bottom and totally asymmetrical. You look great dude. I don't see any hint of a reason to be self conscious!

Thanks guys!

I just notice most dudes have square shaped pecs, so I thought maybe something was off about mine, like I was working it incorrectly or something

Ridisc

Banned
Anyone here run a tough mudder before? Thinking of setting a goal to run the half one

New to fitness and I downloaded their training regime, got a question or two if any could help.

This is day 1

CONDITIONING
4 min. circuit:
15x Squats
15x Push Ups
2 min. rest

4 min. circuit:
10X Burpee
30x Jump Rope
2 min. rest

4 min. circuit:
10x Push Ups
10x Tuck Jump

So if im reading this right a 4 minute circuit is 15 squats into 15 pushups back into 15 squats, into 15 pushups until 4 minutes are up?

And since I know I cant do 15 pushups is it "however long it takes to do 15" or if ive reached a point where ive started, reached maybe 10 and was fucked that I move onto squats again?

Day 2 is this

CONDITIONING
20-16-12-8-4 reps:
Squats
Push Ups
Russian Twists

This I dont fully understand, is it 20 reps of squats, then 16, then 12, then 8, then 4 or is it 20 squats, 20 pushups, 20 twists then 16 S/P/T etc.

Thanks for any help you can give.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Happy bday Spirit!

So I did 295 bb rows last week..I'm so used to having three plates per side I counted it as 285. Did the same this week but upped the back off sets to 275.

295/275/275x8

frontieruk

Anyone here run a tough mudder before? Thinking of setting a goal to run the half one

New to fitness and I downloaded their training regime, got a question or two if any could help.

This is day 1

CONDITIONING
4 min. circuit:
15x Squats
15x Push Ups
2 min. rest

4 min. circuit:
10X Burpee
30x Jump Rope
2 min. rest

4 min. circuit:
10x Push Ups
10x Tuck Jump

So if im reading this right a 4 minute circuit is 15 squats into 15 pushups back into 15 squats, into 15 pushups until 4 minutes are up?

And since I know I cant do 15 pushups is it "however long it takes to do 15" or if ive reached a point where ive started, reached maybe 10 and was fucked that I move onto squats again?

Reading around as it's a circuit it's as many times as you can complete the circuit in that time.

Day 2 is this

CONDITIONING
20-16-12-8-4 reps:
Squats
Push Ups
Russian Twists

This I dont fully understand, is it 20 reps of squats, then 16, then 12, then 8, then 4 or is it 20 squats, 20 pushups, 20 twists then 16 S/P/T etc.

Thanks for any help you can give.

You repeat the circuit just decreasing so 20 S/P/T then 16 etc

You're​ basically drop setting a superset of exercises. Looks painful :(

Ridisc

Banned
Reading around as it's a circuit it's as many times as you can complete the circuit in that time.

You repeat the circuit just decreasing so 20 S/P/T then 16 etc

You're​ basically drop setting a superset of exercises. Looks painful :(

Thanks so much for the reply :)

Yeah im going to do my best and force myself to my limit, im not doing a tough mudder in 3 months but that is the eventual goal and I feel I could use an objective when it comes to fitness.

frontieruk

Thanks so much for the reply :)

Yeah im going to do my best and force myself to my limit, im not doing a tough mudder in 3 months but that is the eventual goal and I feel I could use an objective when it comes to fitness.

Personally if i was having issues with the week one set up, I'd ease off it and and repeat the weeks.

IE day one I'd use the 4 minutes to achieve the set if struggling on a particular set like push ups, but I'd repeat the sets so that 18 min workout could potentially become 36, but I'd get to set completion and start the 2 minutes rest so if it took 2.45 to complete the squats and push ups I'd start the two minute rest there as I'm not going to complete a 2nd set in the 4 minutes.

I'd probably repeat that pattern for attacking the week for 2/3 weeks then actually try the pattern as written as you'll of built up some endurance.

Femto.

So I'm new to all this. Skinny fat dude and what not.

Are there any starting programs that doesn't require bench presses? I don't have a spotter and my gym's equipment isn't that great so I can't do the self-bench press thing in the OP.

Top Bottom