• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
First off, that streak was EPIC. I vaguely remember doing like 10-12 straight during that time and tapped out. I believe you are a descendant of an alien race or at least part alien.

And lol, I wouldn't say we're there quite yet, BUT momentum has shifted and that's half the battle. I'm looking forward to working out again.
I was in the zone then. That was when I hit 31 bw bench reps. Oh the good old days...

You're back, I won't let you go backwards. Remember,

jj0ii.jpg

Yeah, I wouldn't judge myself by Cooter's standards...

... you'll end up breaking something.
That's grand coming from an individual who cycles 876 miles a week.

...and yet, I can't hit a single bodyweight rep on bench.

Stupid fucked up body. :(

That said, I can do more than 2x bodyweight on deadlift, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

Cooter

Being honest, I read this post and did some quick airdyne sprints before I hopped in the shower.
That's what I'm talking about Bum! No sprints here but last night my wife bought Ben n Jerrys and then went to bed early leaving it waiting to be destroyed and what did I do? Fixed myself a bowl of cottage cheese.

GrapeApes

I know someone was asking about belts a while back. Good vid comparing different lifting belts from the owner of Pioneer Belts. There is some bias but overall very informative. Don't know what he's talking about when he says Inzers don't break in though.

https://youtu.be/xjDu2bPJUu0

I'm wanting to find out how much i can work out without over training. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

For the last two years i've been doing roughly 50 minutes workouts once a day, 6 days a week.

I'm wanting to know if i could do a few extra 20 or 30 minute workout in the afternoon or if that would do more harm than good.

I'm 28 and dont take drugs.

My take on overtraining:

1) Don't train a body part that's too sore to move easily.

2) If you're not vomiting or falling down, you're probably fine.

Right now I'm reinstalling Wolfenstein so I can kill Nazis this weekend to prep for killing Nazis when Wolf 2 releases.

My take on overtraining:

1) Don't train a body part that's too sore to move easily.

2) If you're not vomiting or falling down, you're probably fine.

Right now I'm reinstalling Wolfenstein so I can kill Nazis this weekend to prep for killing Nazis when Wolf 2 releases.

Ok thats 3 different people telling me the exact same thing, sounds like i can add a few extra workouts to my routine then =)

I'm wanting to find out how much i can work out without over training. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

For the last two years i've been doing roughly 50 minutes workouts once a day, 6 days a week.

I'm wanting to know if i could do a few extra 20 or 30 minute workout in the afternoon or if that would do more harm than good.

I'm 28 and dont take drugs.

Overtraining levels vary from person to person.

Overtraining results in your cortisol levels being too high causing imbalances in your body.

Typical symptoms of high cortisol levels are problems sleeping and a lack of sexual appetite.

Usually when I notice this happening to me I'll dial back the intensity, deload or just take a week off. If it persists then I reduce volume. I'm already doing low volume/high intensity so psychologically doing less volume always feels wrong initially but the results are always better for it. A typical training session for me these days is about 40 minutes.

Ha... can't remember last time I had a sex drive. No issues sleeping though.

The sex drive thing apparently not uncommon at all with endurance sports.

BumRush

4 consecutive days down. Tomorrow is a cooter day (bar for football...daily estimate = roughly 6,000-8,000 calories) and Monday we back at it.

mdsfx

First marathon tomorrow. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't anxious about this one. I expect less sleep than usual tonight. I have almost no reason to be nervous other than the fact that it took so many damn miles and hours to get prepared.

Miles 1-20 are no problem. It's when you hit the last 6 that the internal struggle really begins.

Is it bad to lift if you drank during the afternoon and have sobered up? Like is there a negative?

If you're sober, fine, work out. But the alcohol is counterproductive to gains.

"Alcohol impairs protein synthesis and decreases growth hormone and testosterone, which slows down your muscle growth and recovery," Allison says. "So drinking before weightlifting or after, even if you can do the reps and lift the weight during your workout, will affect your body's ability to repair the muscles and get stronger."

That was taken from here: https://www.buzzfeed.com/shannonrosenberg/pregame-the-game?utm_term=.gp98kGlGn#.br0Ozq4qn

Though there are several more sources on that if you just google the phrase "alcohol impairs protein synthesis." For example, you might find this: http://www.livestrong.com/article/539982-alcohols-effect-on-protein-synthesis/

But anyway, yes, you should be fine to work out as long as you're actually sober. Your body will just get less out of it than otherwise.

sphinx

the piano man
How you been? Still trying to balance work, piano and fitness?

I laughed out loud when I read this :D

that is EXACTLY what I am doing, I'd say struggling instead of trying, though

haven't figure it out yet sadly

The first 6 months of the year I had no concerts and was doing well at the gym, dieting and looking all.around well but after July, it went downhill...

If I am overwhelmed with too much work, concerts and a ton of stress (which is what I am going through right now), I miss a ton of gym sessions.

I have two months before I go to Cancun for my 40th birthday so I am using that as a goal to get to work and follow a plan.

If I could have visible abs by then, and being 40, I think I'd be proud of that.

Cooter

If you haven't yet heard, we've got this. Damn proud of you and hoping you're on another cooter-esque workout string.
At this point 30 days is sounding good. How was your binge?

________

Serious mass Ace. Looking good.

Cooter

30? You have AT LEAST double that in you.

And re: binge, it has been more 6,000 calories than 8,000 but the night is young!
That it is my friend. Throwing the guantlet down early huh Bum? I thought 30 was solid. 60 it is.

Anybody try doing Keto?

If you is it okay to do it every now and again like once a week every 2 months without much negative effect?

Because fuck never eating carbs for life, I'm Irish although I cut down on them, Potatoes are life (red skin) XD

Cooter

Anybody try doing Keto?

If you is it okay to do it every now and again like once a week every 2 months without much negative effect?

Because fuck never eating carbs for life, I'm Irish although I cut down on them, Potatoes are life (red skin) XD
Not necessary. I keep my carbs pretty low because it helps me control sugar cravings but it's more about total calories and the healthy mixture of carbs, fats, and protein.

Not particularly. 6ish on the weekdays. 8+ on weekends.

Then working for that amount of time without break sounds like a great way of limiting your progress.

More as a general warning to the less experienced, but don't forget, it's been a while since you've been putting in these sorts of hours on a regular basis!

Cooter

Then working for that amount of time without break sounds like a great way of limiting your progress.

More as a general warning to the less experienced, but don't forget, it's been a while since you've been putting in these sorts of hours on a regular basis!
Progress? Haha What's that? I've pretty much reached my natural limit Psycho. I agree though, take your rest guys. It's good for you. I've been doing this for nearly 2.5 decades and know how to deal with intensity management.

Ixian

Anybody try doing Keto?

I've done keto before; these days I eat low carb on my rest days and higher carb on my workout days (though since I'm cutting hard at the moment even on my workout days I'm keeping my carbs relatively low, around 130ish).

If you look at keto purely as a tool to help you achieve a calorie deficit, eg: feeling full on less food because you're eating more protein and fats, then no, there's nothing wrong with eating carbs on occasion. Keep in mind that carbs retain water so switching to keto will cause some immediate rapid weight loss due to the loss of water weight, and eating carbs again will cause your scale weight to increase because of the water retention.

Now, if you really start digging into information about keto, you'll see people talk about the various effects that not eating carbs anymore has (clearer mental focus, etc.). I try not to worry about that stuff though because it's getting into nebulous territory.

Is there any particular reason you wanna do keto?

I've done keto before; these days I eat low carb on my rest days and higher carb on my workout days (though since I'm cutting hard at the moment even on my workout days I'm keeping my carbs relatively low, around 130ish).

If you look at keto purely as a tool to help you achieve a calorie deficit, eg: feeling full on less food because you're eating more protein and fats, then no, there's nothing wrong with eating carbs on occasion. Keep in mind that carbs retain water so switching to keto will cause some immediate rapid weight loss due to the loss of water weight, and eating carbs again will cause your scale weight to increase because of the water retention.

Now, if you really start digging into information about keto, you'll see people talk about the various effects that not eating carbs anymore has (clearer mental focus, etc.). I try not to worry about that stuff though because it's getting into nebulous territory.

Is there any particular reason you wanna do keto?
Nah was just something to help speed thing along but I could never commit to it so I won't bother

I'm doing Intermittent fasting though which is super easy for me and I've being kind of doing it somewhat most of my life, I've always preferred 1-2 big ass meals over 3-5 smaller meals

Does anyone have any tips on how to decrease my rest time between sets? Sometimes it is excessive specially during squats. Does creatine help?

What do you guys do for calves if there's no machine for it but you want some weight on them?

Is there no leg press machine? That's the best. But if not, I have seen some gains just from jumping rope and probably any other cardio exercise that involves the calves. Dumbbells can be ok, but at one point it becomes more of a grip exercise because the calves can lift much more than what the hands can hold

What's excessive?

Technically the only thing that's likely to help is beta alanine, but it's unlikely your sets are long enough to be affected by it.

Cooter

Still looking beastly FE.

What do you guys do for calves if there’s no machine for it but you want some weight on them?
Admire them in the mirror next to my forearms which are the same size. Screw calves. They get enough indirect work through squats and deads.

It's worth checking where your insertion points are before spending a massive amount of time on them. If you have high insertion points they'll pretty much never look big, no matter what you do.

Top Bottom