• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

bumping this up because the reset era forum is up so sign up if you want. i'll post the OT there and wait for you guys

reset era.com

remove space in the name.

there's no invites for the new reset era.com (without space) forum. just have to wait until they open back up. in the meantime for those that didn't get in you can pm for the chat.

Keep me in the loop about where you all decide to go. I encourage you all to make a discord (or invite me if there is one already) as well. We gotta keep in touch, especially after *JUST* having a mini nostalgia trip with older posters.

So is no one staying?

It's crazy that the band got together all of a sudden, and then bam, it's over.

I'm not super active on this thread, but I have appreciated the knowledge and support this community has. Things are gonna get super busy for me but I'd like to continue chatting with this community so I'd like to see what this whole discord thing is about

ILoveBish

I guess we'll see how things shake out. On a happier note, still on track, hit squats last night and used my hex bar for the first time for shrugs, really liked the bar.

425kid

I lurk mostly maybe posted 1 or 2 times in the earlier OTs, I follow fitGAF while I go to the gym on and off. Anyway I want to go on the other side too.

Hi FITGAF,

I rarely post here but wanted to update on my weight loss journey. I finally reached my goal that I set out for just over 2 years ago. For over a decade I had let myself go and buried my head in the sand. You know, thisisfine.jpg

Fast forward to 2 years ago and a variety of things led me to pull my head out of the sand and get my ass moving. Since then I have been plugging away with a lot of ups and downs (no pun intended, ;)) and today I did it.

175 pounds!! I started at 260 plus and at times I didn't know if I would make it but I never gave up (for more than a week at least). I was stuck in the 180's for months though as I hit my plateau. What got me over (under?) the top was finally giving keto a try. it has actually transformed my body in a lot of ways too. I am losing fat on my body that has been for for 20 years or more.

Keto definitely has had its drawbacks as I am working towards being fat adapted but i know the trade off is worth it and am confident that the negatives will dissipate. Even if they don't and I have to go back to a more traditional diet I know what I need to do to maintain now.

Here is a before and after. The before is from July 2015 and the after is from earlier this month but my favorite current selfie. ;P

C7tKUgy.jpg

EDIT: although it looks like most are moving to reset era I plan to stick around here to try and be a little bit of light in the darkness, lol. Lurking this thread over the years has definitely been motivational and it would be sad to see it die. I will try to post more often to keep the spirit alive!

Open Registration begins tonight.

see you guys on the other side.
a new Era has begun.

Open Registration begins tonight.

see you guys on the other side.
a new Era has begun.

Thanks for the heads up!

Dude that's amazing!! Incredible work :)

Don't forget to keep an eye on the ResetEra forums to join everyone in the new thread!

Edit: Dead Prince is on top of it!

Thanks! It feels really good to have met that goal after so long. I wanted to do it in a year originally and got down to 200 but the last 25 pounds was much more difficult. I just kept running and using my little seven minute workout app for some HIIT and continued to be active and move. It’s been a long road but now know I have the fortitude to take on anything! 💪👊

Hi FITGAF,

I rarely post here but wanted to update on my weight loss journey. I finally reached my goal that I set out for just over 2 years ago. For over a decade I had let myself go and buried my head in the sand. You know, thisisfine.jpg

Fast forward to 2 years ago and a variety of things led me to pull my head out of the sand and get my ass moving. Since then I have been plugging away with a lot of ups and downs (no pun intended, ;)) and today I did it.

175 pounds!! I started at 260 plus and at times I didn't know if I would make it but I never gave up (for more than a week at least). I was stuck in the 180's for months though as I hit my plateau. What got me over (under?) the top was finally giving keto a try. it has actually transformed my body in a lot of ways too. I am losing fat on my body that has been for for 20 years or more.

Keto definitely has had its drawbacks as I am working towards being fat adapted but i know the trade off is worth it and am confident that the negatives will dissipate. Even if they don't and I have to go back to a more traditional diet I know what I need to do to maintain now.

Here is a before and after. The before is from July 2015 and the after is from earlier this month but my favorite current selfie. ;P

EDIT: although it looks like most are moving to reset era I plan to stick around here to try and be a little bit of light in the darkness, lol. Lurking this thread over the years has definitely been motivational and it would be sad to see it die. I will try to post more often to keep the spirit alive!

Badass transformation... I love how much younger you look at your present weight too, that shit is always cool to see.

Badass transformation... I love how much younger you look at your present weight too, that shit is always cool to see.

Thanks Razz! It had been a while since I had looked at that pic and am blown away at the transformation myself. I still feel "phantom fat" and then feel around my waist line and it blows me away.

I turned 40 in April this year and I was determined not to hit that milestone in the shape I was. Seriously the best choice I ever made in my life! Well second, marrying my wife is first. I don't know if I would have ever turned this around without her.

After a rough few months of not being able to train I have finally come back. Sad to say my bf% has jumped from 15 to 20ish so I'm looking a little soft.

Been debating what to do, I feel like trying to get my strength back and growing with a bulk coming into the winter, but I can't shake the "lose the fat" thoughts that creep in a lot.

Typhares

After a rough few months of not being able to train I have finally come back. Sad to say my bf% has jumped from 15 to 20ish so I'm looking a little soft.

Been debating what to do, I feel like trying to get my strength back and growing with a bulk coming into the winter, but I can't shake the "lose the fat" thoughts that creep in a lot.

You can probably do a bit of both at the beginning if you've been out for a while, personally I don't like bulking and how it makes me feel so I'd rather make slow progress.

I used to do strength training (5x5 then 5/3/1) but now I'm more interesting in BB routines.

I found this one online which I enjoy but any suggestions are welcome:

Day 1 - Chest, Triceps, Delts:

2 x 10 Bench press
2 x 10 Close-grip bench press
2 x 10 Incline bench press
2 x 8 Dumbbell flyes
2 x 8 Skull crushers
2 x 10 Tricep extensions
2 x 15 Front dumbbell raise
2 x 15 Side dumbbell raise

Day 2 - Rest

Day 3 - Biceps, Back, Traps, Forearms:

3 x 10 Barbell curls (try wide and close grips too)
2 x 10 Concentration curls
2 sets of pullups to failure (if you can do them)
2 x 10 Lat pulls
2 x 10 Bent-over Rows
3 x 10 Wrist curls
2 x 10 Barbell shrugs
2 x 10 Calf raise machine shrugs

Day 4 - Rest

Day 5 - Quads, Glutes, Hamstrings & Calves:

3 x 10 Squats
2 x 10 Barbell deadlifts
3 x 10 Leg press
2 x 10 Leg extensions
3 x 10 Calf raises
2 x 10 Barbell lunges
2 sets Farmer's walk

I can only realistically work out 3 times a week so please keep that in mind.

Thanks for the informative post. I currently am aiming to work out mon-tues-thurs-fri. Work permitting, sometimes I will swap a Monday for a Wednesday etc.. I don't like working out on my weekend. It's almost sacred resting time for me lol.

I'm on mobile so I won't post my routine but so far it's been

Day1 chest/shoulders/triceps
Day2 back/bicep/traps
Day3 full leg workout
Day4 full upper body compound exercises with a focus on biceps/triceps

I've been loading up on creatine now for 4 days and taking about 1000kals worth of shakes in my eating diet. I hope to see a bit of mass. If I could shake the fear of putting on fat until the new year maybe?

Objective for 2017, manage to do squats properly and clear the 315lbs barrier.

Currently at 255 and had lots of various issues with squats.

Back injuries, knee pain, shinbone pain, headaches, etc, but I think I'm getting there and might be able to improve.

That was from last december.

Did it yesterday, squatted 323.5lbs ass to grass, most of the issues I had are gone, still get a slight headache every once in a while but that's it.

Typhares

That was from last december.

Did it yesterday, squatted 323.5lbs ass to grass, most of the issues I had are gone, still get a slight headache every once in a while but that's it.

Any tips about squat and back pain? I had a coach (profesional powerlifter) telling my form was good but my back still didn't like it.
To be fair my back starts to hurt if I stand still for some time so maybe it can't be helped.

Work permitting, sometimes I will swap a Monday for a Wednesday etc.. I don't like working out on my weekend. It's almost sacred resting time for me lol.

Ah I hate it too, Mon-Wed-Fri is all I can do without sacrificing other hobbies and social life.
It sounds like you're going for muscle gain more than strength gain then with that kind of split and calorie increase.
Do you have any current numbers and goals for some lifts?

Any tips about squat and back pain? I had a coach (profesional powerlifter) telling my form was good but my back still didn't like it.
To be fair my back starts to hurt if I stand still for some time so maybe it can't be helped.

Valsalva Maneuver

Take a big breath before you unrack the weight, and hold your breath in your belly, not your chest, your belly. This will use your lungs to hold your torso straight. You can start exhaling about halfway back up.

Open registration is up on the other forum. same process like gaf, paid emails and manual approval.

junior status but instead of showing junior member it shows members but still have certain posting privileges locked.
come join us as we talk about FE's progress!

you might run into an issue due to people trying to sign up all at once.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism

I find engaging my back while getting into position helps. Basically I get the bar on my back where I want it, then place my hands. After that, I pull away from my body and down a bit with my arms. My hands don't go anywhere, but that little bit of tension causes the muscles in my back to engage. It helps me with stability so I don't feel like I'm fighting my back, preventing it from trying to curve. Not sure if that will help, but might be worth a try. Other than that maybe do extra stretching. Also, are you new to doing squats? Do you go so heavy that you're coming close to doing reps to failure?

Typhares

I find engaging my back while getting into position helps. Basically I get the bar on my back where I want it, then place my hands. After that, I pull away from my body and down a bit with my arms. My hands don't go anywhere, but that little bit of tension causes the muscles in my back to engage. It helps me with stability so I don't feel like I'm fighting my back, preventing it from trying to curve. Not sure if that will help, but might be worth a try. Other than that maybe do extra stretching. Also, are you new to doing squats? Do you go so heavy that you're coming close to doing reps to failure?

Hmm thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go but these days I don't lift heavy and do more volume.
I've been training for about a year now and yes when I was doing the strength program the last heavy set (of 5 for the first program then 5/3/1) was always close to failure.

Top Bottom