• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I'm starting to get convinced that there is a huge correlation between physical activity and to need of sleep - but not the way you might think.

So in the last couple of months I slowly reduced my sleep per night so I can get up every day at 03:45 am and to my surprise it worked very well (I was hitting the gym 4 times a week during that time). Then 3 weeks ago I did my first gym break in over a year as I had some prolonged joint issues. After only a few days I could not only barely get up this early but was also sleepy throughout the day and had to go to bed an hour earlier than usual. Now, two weeks back into my gym regiment again I find myself going to sleep later and having no issues at all getting up this early. Fascinating.

Oh, and I'm slowly getting my fast on Wednesday in check. God damn, that's gonna be a few though weeks until I get used to it. But I do feel like the 1 day per week fast is going to help my reduce my body fat even further. Man, looking forward to the next few weeks.

Last edited:
i fast once a week, too

just started mine an hour ago

not eating jack shit until 8 pm tomorrow

24 hours

know what else im gonna do?

im gonna walk around all day

like a steak sizzling on a pan fat rendering out that bitch

burn up all kinds of fat

all kinds

Tesseract

Banned
giphy.gif

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I'm starting to get convinced that there is a huge correlation between physical activity and to need of sleep - but not the way you might think.

So in the last couple of months I slowly reduced my sleep per night so I can get up every day at 03:45 am and to my surprise it worked very well (I was hitting the gym 4 times a week during that time). Then 3 weeks ago I did my first gym break in over a year as I had some prolonged joint issues. After only a few days I could not only barely get up this early but was also sleepy throughout the day and had to go to bed an hour earlier than usual. Now, two weeks back into my gym regiment again I find myself going to sleep later and having no issues at all getting up this early. Fascinating.

Oh, and I'm slowly getting my fast on Wednesday in check. God damn, that's gonna be a few though weeks until I get used to it. But I do feel like the 1 day per week fast is going to help my reduce my body fat even further. Man, looking forward to the next few weeks.

I've been lifting since 1999 and you're right on the mark. I'm always dragging ass and tired when I am not watching my calories and exercising. It is night and day.

DavidGzz

First time in the 170s in a LONG time. 178.2 pounds today at 175.26 centimeters or 69 inches or 5 foot 9 inches. I did it nice and slow this time so held onto my mass. Feeling light as hell but looking more muscular than ever. I do a full-body routine daily, calories at a 3k average and protein at 150-200. Feeling awesome.

Drake

Oh fuck yeah. Did pull ups today. My lats were ready to explode. Still stuck on 155 x 9 for bench though. My chest and shoulders are weak as fuck. I probably gotta eat more if I want my bench to go up, but I'm scared of getting fat again. Right now I'm sitting at a nicely cut 160, but I'm not really that strong.

I’m gonna be taking a gaf break during October. I’m gonna do sober October this year because I’ve smoked weed daily for about 4 years straight (ever since it was legalized) and for a while it was medicinal. I lost 80 pounds during this time. Now it’s become a burden though and I’ve put on 20-30 pounds depending on how you look at it. I’m gonna burn as much of that shit off this month as I can.

I ran 2.25 miles this morning and plan to try and run 3-4 times a week and workout daily. I’m going to report back in at the end of the month and let you all know how it went.

Take care gaf and have a great month. I’ll be looking forward to catching up on all the blood, sweat and tears you guys are drenching yourselves in. 🏃👊❤️

I saw some mufuken blood sweat and tears in the gym today. I was taking turns on the chest press machine with this kid, right. Now this kid was, i'm gonna say he was about 18 years old. I let him go first because i'm polite like that.

Dude plugs it into the 200 lb plate. This motherfucker is scrawny as shit and he is hauling ass on 200. BUT WAIT A SECOND. He has the handles set to 'A', which already eats 90% of the movement, so all he has to do is push about 2 inches to complete a rep.

I'm like whatever. But right from the beginning this dude's ego is through the ROOF. In his mind he is Brock Lesnar. After every one of his sets he springs up and shakes his arms and flexes like he is it.. I'm pushing 100s and I can feel his superior strength reigning down on me. I mean his body language said it all. He is so up there on cloud 9 that he offers me help with my workout. His voice is commanding and you can hear his immense confidence. He increases the weight into the mid 200s and begins doing the workout standing up and groaning like a motherfucker as he pushes impressive two inch reps.

At the end he goes all the way up to about 250 and commands me in his deep, authoritative voice to help him push out the first rep, and i do. He is the ultimate warrior. I have never witnessed greatness this enormous.

Unfortunately every king must fall. At the end he decides to try the machine in the way I have it adjusted. This was the saddest thing I have ever seen. At first I didn't want to believe it. But my eyes, they do not lie. He is killing himself trying to push out 55s. I try my best to not notice. My king will not be remembered like this. And so that was that.

Later, I find him at the chest fly machine. I am some distance behind the machine so he has no view of me. He is again killing himself to bring the handle forward to complete a rep. This time the handle doesn't even reach half way since you cannot adjust this machine to do 90% of the movement. Defeated, my lord gets up and leaves. When I approach the weight stacks, it is set to 40.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Finally some fookin abs. Is this against ToS?

Edit: So, I just began getting 210+ grams of protein in and IDK if it's placebo but I am stronk like bull at the gym the last 3 days. I got 250x12 and 270x7 on my last two sets of flat bench. Doing pulldowns with 220+. I was previously doing 150-180 grams a day because of the studies showing that more is unnecessary but I seem to be slowly gaining my strength back from my late 20s.

Last edited:

rykomatsu

Finally got to my weekly cheat day...for some reason, was getting major cravings for shitty food the last few days straight...
  • Medium sized pan pizza (whole)
  • Cheeseit pizza pocket things from Pizza Hut (x4)
  • Boneless wings (x8)
  • Donut
  • Spicy BBQ sandwich
  • Bag o fritos
  • A bunch of starburst
Feels good / Feels bad man...

DavidGzz

^That's why I just incorporate those foods daily. I don't feel the need to go all out ever. For me, a cheat day could erase a couple of weeks of progress.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Hold me gym brahs... It's no use... I'll have to do an extensive gym break... That week I just did wasn't enough it seems. My knee issues came back with a vengeance during my workout yesterday. God damn it... Been depressed all day long...

Think I'm looking at a 3-4 weeks break with regular stretching and occasional light cycling. If that doesn't fix my knee and shoulder... I don't know what I'll do. But I'm pretty confident that it should help quite bit. The 3-4 weeks off are going to kill me though. Haven't had a break this long for fukken years. Hell, the past 1.5 years I haven't had a break longer than 5 days, which I guess is why I'm having these issues now. Not that I regret it. Learned a lot and if I could turn back time I would most certainly do that same thing all over again.

Anyway, I'm just going into the corner now alright...

833x469x121266490_wide.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rOFNq1I5K7.jpg

Drake

Hold me gym brahs... It's no use... I'll have to do an extensive gym break... That week I just did wasn't enough it seems. My knee issues came back with a vengeance during my workout yesterday. God damn it... Been depressed all day long...

Think I'm looking at a 3-4 weeks break with regular stretching and occasional light cycling. If that doesn't fix my knee and shoulder... I don't know what I'll do. But I'm pretty confident that it should help quite bit. The 3-4 weeks off are going to kill me though. Haven't had a break this long for fukken years. Hell, the past 1.5 years I haven't had a break longer than 5 days, which I guess is why I'm having these issues now. Not that I regret it. Learned a lot and if I could turn back time I would most certainly do that same thing all over again.

Anyway, I'm just going into the corner now alright...

I fee ya bro. IDK how old you are, but I'm in my late 30's. I fucked up my shoulder years ago, it's basically better now, but I can still feel a slight pain when I do certain exercises. Anything that puts an inordinate amount of stress on my shoulders I don't do any more. Incline bench and barbell shoulder press have been completely eliminated from my routine. I still get in a really good workout, but I've learned to listen to my body which it looks like you are doing as well. 3 or 4 weeks off will not destroy your progress that much anyways. Just don't eat like a slob in that time frame and you'll be fine.

39a10.jpg

I'm moving in a couple of weeks, and now is the time to finally realize my dream of having my own home garage gym. I just pulled the trigger, and it's a one time only, and I bought the best (and overpriced) Rogue gear. The profit we made on our move takes the sting out of the price.

Never again will I have to wait for a squat rack.

Rogue Ohio Power Bar 45LB - Bare Steel RA0586-RWRW 1 $354.00 CAD
Rogue Infinity Matador RA0191 1 $107.31 CAD
Rogue Curl Bar RA1077-BEBR 1 $275.00 CAD
45LB Rogue Olympic Plate - Pair IP0057-2 4 $560.00 CAD
25LB Rogue Olympic Plate - Pair IP0055-2 1 $86.00 CAD
10LB Rogue Olympic Plate - Pair IP0054-2 1 $33.00 CAD
5LB Rogue Olympic Plate - Pair IP0053-2 2 $40.00 CAD
Infinity Short Plate Storage Post Pair RF0546 1 $58.00 CAD
2.5LB Rogue Olympic Plate - Pair IP0051-2 1 $12.00 CAD
Rogue Flat Utility Bench 2.0 RA1362 1 $239.33 CAD
Rogue R-4 Power Rack - Single Rack RF0236 1 $1,182.65 CAD
SP2358 Plate Storage Pair - Long for Infinity RF0468 1 $65.00 CAD
#1 Red Band (Pair) HB0001-2 1 $26.00 CAD
#2 Blue Band Choose Single or Pair Single HB0002 1 $21.00 CAD
#3 Green Band Choose Single or Pair Single HB0003 1 $28.00 CAD
#4 Black Band Choose Single or Pair Single HB0004 1 $35.00 CAD
Subtotal $3,122.29 CAD
Shipping & Handling $508.75 CAD
Grand Total (Excl.Tax) $3,631.04 CAD

Grand Total (Incl.Tax) $4,175.70 CAD

DavidGzz

My advice to anyone ref injuries, truly leave the ego at home. Work the muscle, really focus on the burn. Slow and controlled movements. I'm 38 and my ego fucked me up hard in my late 20s but I am now in my best shape ever. I don't fuck with heavy squats and deadlifts anymore. When I do deads it's with a trap bar and I try to stay below 450 pounds. I mostly do leg press and rack deads for legs and back.

Another thing, don't scoff at machines, they are great for developing the muscle and are convenient af.

Reactions: GHG

DavidGzz

Nice! I've been down with calisthenics lately. I switch between pullups and dips over and over for a great pump. I've also been doing the monkey bars for distance practicing for my next tough mudder or spartan race.

Here is a vid of me practicing. I got 10 passes just barely of 10 rungs. So I guess 100 rungs in a row.

I keep improving a good bit week by week, especially as I drop weight. I was 180 pounds in this vid.

Last edited:

Drake

Nice! I've been down with calisthenics lately. I switch between pullups and dips over and over for a great pump. I've also been doing the monkey bars for distance practicing for my next tough mudder or spartan race.

Here is a vid of me practicing. I got 10 passes just barely of 10 rungs. So I guess 100 rungs in a row.

I keep improving a good bit week by week, especially as I drop weight. I was 180 pounds in this vid.

Nice job. How did you feel by the end of that? I bet your arms were ready to explode.

Started running again now that it's getting cooler.... doctor said my cholesterol was 2 points higher than the normal range a while back, which worries me for a 24 year old guy. I need to do it more.

Tesseract

Banned
4am rise time to hit the pull up bar

gonna drink a hulk load after and hit the elliptical for a few hours

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
so i can barely move, girl gave me a few massages and i'm currently hooked up to a tens unit

been pretty sore since wednesday night, starting to recover tho

Top Bottom