• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Five Bethesda Titles on Gamepass to receive Xbox Series FPS Boost

Banned
Damn, guess I’ll wait on the Dishonored play through then. Any idea when this is happening?

most likely next week. ne FPS boost patches will be released in batches every 2 weeks or so, at least that's what they said after the first batch released

Last edited:

FeldMonster

ryan reynolds hd GIF

What I don't understand, and no one has mentioned, is that now that Microsoft owns all of these, why not just formally patch them? Spend the man-hours on testing/optimizing/implementing games that they can't patch.

CitizenZ

Banned
Console is the keyword here. Personally I'm cuddling with my PC in +100 fps as much as possible, but a 2070 @ 1440p only takes you so far.

I guess i don't understand, i buy an upgrade i know i get an upgrade. Dont have to be told.

Andodalf

Banned
ryan reynolds hd GIF

What I don't understand, and no one has mentioned, is that now that Microsoft owns all of these, why not just formally patch them? Spend the man-hours on testing/optimizing/implementing games that they can't patch.

The idea is that this process is done at a system level that takes very little time for any individual game

Banned
ryan reynolds hd GIF

because this is way easier than patching the games, and it has the same effect.
they are currently testing hundreds of games anyways, I bet these were among the first ones tested as they are PC games and these tend to not have issues at 60fps

I personally still think they should give the users the option to activate this on every single game manually. maybe make it a cheat, like how the file-information screen used to be a weird cheat (you had to hold LT/RT/View)
and if a game goes crazy on you just turn it back off.

Last edited:

Banned
Never finished Prey, was thinking of playing it again, this is great news.

I was like 70% through the game on Xbox One X, but eventually just played it on PC because of the framerate, but also because Immersive Sims like that are just way more comfortable to play on a mouse due to all the small objects you have to aim at in order to pick them up or use them.
the combination of Low FPS, not the best stick aiming and uneven framepacing didn't help with that

will be much better at 60fps for sure, hopefully the framepacing is correct as well

Last edited:

Dane

ryan reynolds hd GIF

Because its easier than messing around with the code again after years and having to test stuff and implement save compatibility feature over a new build. You just "hack" the game and do some workaround to get 60 FPS and chances that there might be leftover options from PC to make it even easier.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Xbox is killing it right now. I’m glad they are, not just because it’s impressive to behold, but because it will keep everyone else in the game (Sony, Nintendo) hungry. Series X looks more and more like a “must-own” all the time (if you don’t have a PC, obviously).

tillbot8

Banned
Ahhhhh man this is the first time ive ever been jealous of Xbox owners (expect maybe not being able to play Forza)

Phil is really helping it with being an inticing product for me...the bastard lol

ZehDon

Gold Member
Started Prey last night, and was incredibly impressed by the introduction. However, if we're getting 60FPS, I'll hold off for that to drop.

I wonder if we'll ever get configuration improvements. Morrowind for the OG Xbox, for example, uses a lower draw distance setting than the PC version's maximum setting for obvious reasons. However, it is configurable, and the new consoles have more than enough grunt. With FPS Boost working miracles, could we ever see such configurations change through their BC system as well?

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Started Prey last night, and was incredibly impressed by the introduction. However, if we're getting 60FPS, I'll hold off for that to drop.

I wonder if we'll ever get configuration improvements. Morrowind for the OG Xbox, for example, uses a lower draw distance setting than the PC version's maximum setting for obvious reasons. However, it is configurable, and the new consoles have more than enough grunt. With FPS Boost working miracles, could we ever see such configurations change through their BC system as well?

Yes, but it works differently. Auto HDR, FPS Boost and forced AF all work on higher levels on emulation, but we’ve seen actual game code touched before to force higher lod values and shadow presets in games like the OG assassins creed.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Mass Effect Andromeda is actually a fun game. I played it about a year after it came out and don’t understand all the hate it got.

Have fun with it, it’s worth the trip.

It actually is. It's a trashfire compared to the original trilogy, but it's no where near as terrible as people said it was. If it didn't have Mass Effect in the name I don't think it would have been nearly so hated.

RPS37

I definitely only played a couple hours of Prey because of the horrible image quality. Hopefully this makes it good.

Andodalf

Banned
It actually is. It's a trashfire compared to the original trilogy, but it's no where near as terrible as people said it was. If it didn't have Mass Effect in the name I don't think it would have been nearly so hated.

It’s just a very different game than the trilogy. It’s much closer to DA:I. But the combat is the best of any BioWare game as far as real-time is concerned

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
As a ps5 owner, I'm super jealous. Sony better get their shit in gear.

I'm waiting on the Skyrim details though. The last mod on it gave the ps5 a distinct advantage. I'm sure this will be great though. No salt, just jealousy :)

Played several of these on PC at 60fps, way back. I don’t think I finished a single one, but might try Prey again if the resolution is not stuck at 1080p.

Last edited:
There is absolutely 100% no way that FO76 will be a solid 60fps, but I'm sure any improvement is welcome for console players because it runs like garbage from what I've heard. Even on the beefiest of PCs (cough cough) it can drop down to the 40s during endgame stuff. The engine is just a mess... an ambitious mess, but a mess nonetheless lol
Will you eat a crow if it does?

Codes 208

That’s...actually not a bad list. But I already own skyrim SE on steam and I can’t enjoy skyrim without mods or <60fps any more

(I know skyrim on Xbox supports mods but many of the mods I use are specific to pc)

Fredrik

Xbox is killing it right now. I’m glad they are, not just because it’s impressive to behold, but because it will keep everyone else in the game (Sony, Nintendo) hungry. Series X looks more and more like a “must-own” all the time (if you don’t have a PC, obviously).
Yeah things are finally falling into place, MS needed this, the hype is increasing.

But it’s time it gets some new games too! Where is The Ascent? Looked awesome a year ago.

dlbeast

Just finished Control today and downloaded Prey to play next. The drop to 30 was heartbreaking.... Reading this has pleased me immensely.

Do we have a date when this will be available?
No exact date was given for when these games will get this support exactly, so keep an eye out over the next week or so.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I wonder if the backwards compatibility team will still be working on the 360 games

93xfan

Banned
Sure. Whatever.

Well, consider yourselves lucky that you’ll finally have a good game to play.
The many amazing Halo games, Forza Horizon, Sea of Thieves, Gears of War, etc keep me happy. Way better multiplayer than what the competition offers.

Better BC method and amount of content is also great. With that I have no reason to be salty. You?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Way better multiplayer than what the competition offers.
BC is overall wider and offers better support for older consoles, but PS4 BC is pretty good so not that much difference there. Best multiplayer is third party on both consoles, but one side warring should not beget usual wagon circling but 🤷‍♂️. Anyways, this thread is to talk about something good, good BC becoming better :).

Rathalos

Banned
Very nice! 60fps totally changes games. I’ll replay them all!

I remember when console gamers swore until they were blue in the face that frame rate didn't matter and 30fps was perfect. I'm glad more people are getting to enjoy games at a proper frame rate this generation.

DustQueen

Banned
I remember when console gamers swore until they were blue in the face that frame rate didn't matter and 30fps was perfect. I'm glad more people are getting to enjoy games at a proper frame rate this generation.

Many games are totally fine at 30.
Most devs develop their post-processing pipeline n fine tune their controls to suit 30fps
But there are cases like Pray where devs did none of that n difference between 30 n 60 is the difference between a disaster n the best game of the past 5 years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom