• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flat Earth "The truth is more important than my life."

Elcid

Banned
Why do some people have to be so petty? Some people believe earth is the flat and others believe it's a globe, some just don't accept any answer. No need to ignore people or send them to their deaths. I don't ignore every "progressive" I meet as much as I should.

Blade2.0

Why do some people have to be so petty? Some people believe earth is the flat and others believe it's a globe, some just don't accept any answer. No need to ignore people or send them to their deaths. I don't ignore every "progressive" I meet as much as I should.
Because there's only one answer. And flat earthers are fucking wrong

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Because there's only one answer. And flat earthers are fucking wrong
Putting pineapple on a pizza is also ethically wrong but I'm not in any rush to send people to the sun over it.

Preposterous. Death literally means we cease to be. You are only conscious at this moment because you are alive. A person that is braindead in a comma doesn't have a conscious state they are literal husks.
There is nothing special about life. It is just chemical machinery, and the brain is just a biological computer. You can kill almost any random 1% of cortical neurons, and you won't stop being yourself. The matter that composes all of the connections in your brain basically is replaced with new matter several times over your lifetime, yet you remain.

The nature of consciousness is unknown, but it appears to correlate with the patterns of brain activity. It is unknown whether consciousness can continue or not if there is a discontinuity and similar patterns appear elsewhere after some time.

There is nothing special about life. It is just chemical machinery, and the brain is just a biological computer. You can kill almost any random 1% of cortical neurons, and you won't stop being yourself. The matter that composes all of the connections in your brain basically is replaced with new matter several times over your lifetime, yet you remain.

The nature of consciousness is unknown, but it appears to correlate with the patterns of brain activity. It is unknown whether consciousness can continue or not if there is a discontinuity and similar patterns appear elsewhere after some time.
Brain matter and neurons can not be replaced. Once that shit is gone it’s gone. Brain degradation is irreversible

Brain matter and neurons can not be replaced. Once that shit is gone it’s gone. Brain degradation is irreversible
According to a study in 2000, researchers at Cornell University observed that brain cells do regrow.

Source: https://www.webmd.com/brain/news/20000306/get-smart-brain-cells-do-regrow-study-confirms#1

Some additional information on what is believed to regrow brain cells can be found here: https://mentalhealthdaily.com/2013/03/05/11-ways-to-grow-new-brain-cells-and-stimulate-neurogenesis/

Thurible

It’s not flat. It has hills and valleys. It simply doesn’t spin nor is it a globe. According to scripture it’s actually deeper than it is wide so all of those flat earth pizza models are nonsense.
There is nothing about a flat earth in scripture. Also, even if it did what do theological texts have to do with scientific information? Scripture is a source for spiritual truth, but it doesn't tell us about physics or the scientific reality of things. I say this as a practicing Christian, as I believe in both reason and faith.

Also, what about all the evidence of earth as a sphere in a heliocentric solar system?

Thurible

But we came from nothing. The entire universe was made from nothing and the moment it was created its lifespan began counting down. Black holes will eventually return everything into nothing.
What about the doppler effect of the universe? It has been determined that it is expanding and thinning out from a central finite point by red shifting. Also the law of mass conservation states that matter cannot be created not destroyed, but rather change forms through physical or chemical means. Black holes are also not agents of "nothingness". They are real things that come from collapsed stars. They also don't seem to destroy matter, but rather absorb and compact matter that crosses it's event horizon to add it into it's own mass.

The closest thing to nothing we will get is the heat death of the universe when thermodynamic equilibrium will occur and possibly proton decay where eventually there will be no transfer of energy and no interactions between particles if they could even remain (hence proton decay) (Note: I may be conflating the theory of the big rip to heat death here). That isn't exactly nothingness, but matter wouldn't be able to exist in any meaningful stable form

Last edited:
There is nothing about a flat earth in scripture. Also, even if it did what do theological texts have to do with scientific information? Scripture is a source for spiritual truth, but it doesn't tell us about physics or the scientific reality of things. I say this as a practicing Christian, as I believe in both reason and faith.

Also, what about all the evidence of earth as a sphere in a heliocentric solar system?

There is no evidence of earth as a sphere. Just because the moon appears spherical doesn’t mean we are. Again, scripture says it’s deeper than it is wide but I’d have to dig it up. In the book of Joshua, God makes the sun and moon stop in the sky. He doesn’t make the earth stop spinning. Here is something I do have that’s pretty recent.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

What i find interesting is what makes me control my own body and not your body and why am i in my body what decided i ended up in this one.

That's what i find facinating.

What i find interesting is what makes me control my own body and not your body and why am i in my body what decided i ended up in this one.

Who's also saying that your chemical composition for your consciousness can never exist again? Sure, you might not be you, but you’d also still be you, you know?

This thread has taken a very awesome turn.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Who's also saying that your chemical composition for your consciousness can never exist again? Sure, you might not be you, but you’d also still be you, you know?

This thread has taken a very awesome turn.

nah it's all over, cast yourself into the steel

Thurible

There is no evidence of earth as a sphere. Just because the moon appears spherical doesn’t mean we are. Again, scripture says it’s deeper than it is wide but I’d have to dig it up. In the book of Joshua, God makes the sun and moon stop in the sky. He doesn’t make the earth stop spinning. Here is something I do have that’s pretty recent.

I've looked up that quote and I got that it is from Enoch 18:6. I have never heard of this book until now as it isn't a part of my faith's canon for whatever reason, so I really don't have the wherewithal to properly comment on it.

May I ask what faith you are and what canon you subscribe to?

The scriptures left no matter what the church are based on Catholicism. I don’t call myself Christian anymore as the messiah wasn’t Christian. He and the disciples were actually called the natsarim. When they were called Christians in Antioch it was derogatory. The book of Esdras which was left in the Catholic canon should give you an answer in regards to books. 2 Esdras 14 42-48. Basically those who would seek them out would find them. The passage I mentioned earlier in Joshua also eludes to another book that’s not included in the canon, the book of Jasher.

way more

If the earth was round you wouldn't be able to see Greenland from Canada across the Davies Straight. In reality you can and I've seen it.

I don't fully believe in a flat earth but it's possible that Earth is 5-10x larger than predicted and therefore appears more "flat."

at a microscopic level you should be able to see water curve somewhere on the “globe”. literally from any point that anyone in the world is standing, everything should be curving/tilting away from everyone 360 degrees around them. Just picture that in your mind for the ridiculousness of it.

Last edited:

Thurible

The scriptures left no matter what the church are based on Catholicism.
I didn't quite get your meaning, but I assume you meant that it doesn't matter whether or not it is a part of the catholic canon, no?

There are many different biblical canons in christiandom. This is because not all books are considered legitimate for a variety of different reasons (ex. Protestants don't have 1 + 2 macabees, judith, tobit, baruch, sirach, and wisdom) because of the fact they were not of the original hebrew. While there is some debate on correct canon, most christians have a consensus on certain core books. Would it be possible if you could show me stuff about a flat earth that everyone agrees is valid?

I am also open to reading other books outside of my faith's canon, but that does not mean I will trust or recognize it. Just because something is written does not mean I should accept it. For example, there is an infamous gnostic gospel called the gospel of thomas full of supposed sayings of Christ. In one passage Christ as a child seeks retribution for something done against him and turns another child to stone. The authenticity of the book is questionable and the content doesn't make sense contextually. Simply put, there are some fake books out there that are more akin to fan-fiction (however, I do not know if enoch would fit underneath this)

I don’t call myself Christian anymore as the messiah wasn’t Christian.
Christ was a jew, and so were many early Christians. However, Christians believe that Christ established a church and fufilled the old law of the old covenant to make a new one. So why would it matter if Christ Himself wasn't a christian?

He and the disciples were actually called the natsarim.
????????

When they were called Christians in Antioch it was derogatory.
Christian basically means "follower of Christ" and I am sure it was used derogatorially by people who hated them. I'm not sure what is your point though.

The book of Esdras which was left in the Catholic canon should give you an answer in regards to books.
I've read Ezra and I've never seen anything about biblical canon within it or specifically within the bible itself. I looked it up and apparently there are many parts of Ezra (sometimes called Esdras like you use) and what they are refered to by different people and how it is divided up as or even if it is in confuses me to be honest. I'm even not sure if your passage is in my bible.

Anyway, to get to the meat of the matter, the earth is round. There are many different ways to prove it that several gaffers have pointed out already so I'm not going to repeat. All scientific evidence points to the earth being a sphere. Also, while scripture is important, it only really relates to matters of faith. It has nothing to do with science and shouldn't be treated as a solution to querys on natural phenomenon. I don't believe the books were made with that in mind. I also question the authenticity of your books that claim the earth is flat, and if they are indeed authentic I still don't see it as proof for a flat earth.

brap

Banned
Anybody ever notice how the people with lower IQ's tend to believe in conspiracy theories like this? Nobody who's smart will ever tell you something like the earth is flat or that fucking Steven Speilberg helped fake the moon landing.

Blade2.0

So what? That's the case with most things in life but guess what people lean on the wrong side all the time.
So what!? Being truthful is something that should be rewarded and being a liar is something that should be shunned. It's rather quite simple.

royox

Eclipses aren’t caused by the earths shadow. Can a “globe earther” explain how the moon can set at varying positions south to north and back over the course of a couple weeks? Wouldn’t the “globe” constantly have to be tilting back and forth?

Edit: i fucked up with the language and working and not time to correct myself :3

By the way, how are you AngularSaxophone ??? :D

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
What about the doppler effect of the universe? It has been determined that it is expanding and thinning out from a central finite point by red shifting. Also the law of mass conservation states that matter cannot be created not destroyed, but rather change forms through physical or chemical means. Black holes are also not agents of "nothingness". They are real things that come from collapsed stars. They also don't seem to destroy matter, but rather absorb and compact matter that crosses it's event horizon to add it into it's own mass.

The closest thing to nothing we will get is the heat death of the universe when thermodynamic equilibrium will occur and possibly proton decay where eventually there will be no transfer of energy and no interactions between particles if they could even remain (hence proton decay) (Note: I may be conflating the theory of the big rip to heat death here). That isn't exactly nothingness, but matter wouldn't be able to exist in any meaningful stable form
That is a theory I believe. It is one of the ultimate fate of the universe.

lock2k

Banned
These guys seriously debating this and religion in this thread have to be trolls. Otherwise this is a living clown world thread

greyshark

Moon spins around the earth at the same speed Earth spins around itself.

Said on another way:

-Time the Moon needs to do a full turn around The Earth: 24h

-Time the Earth needs to do a full turn around itself: 24h

It's common knowledge, didn't your teachers teach you that when you were 5?

The length of the moon’s day is equal to the time it takes the moon to complete an orbit around the Earth, which is about 28 days.

dionysus

Yaldog
What! So now there’s a giant ice barrier around earth? Fascinating.
How come we don’t have pictures of this giant ice wall? Should be a pretty simple thing to do , travel to the edge of the Earth and take a picture of it.

Flat earthers only believe in things they can observe themselves. So they should hop on an Icebreaker and measure the distance it takes to reach their destination. It will confirm a globe earth because the distance is much shorter than if they were traveling through the ice crust of the pizza.

Last edited:
Flat earthers only believe in things they can observe themselves. So they should hop on an Icebreaker and measure the distance it takes to reach their destination. It will confirm a globe earth because the distance is much shorter than if they were traveling through the ice crust of the pizza.
I wonder where a majority of flat earthers live in relationship to densely populated areas. If you live where there are less lights at night, it seems it would be harder to believe that the earth is flat given that you can see the Milky Way in that scenario, let alone use a telescope to see other planets.

royox

The length of the moon’s day is equal to the time it takes the moon to complete an orbit around the Earth, which is about 28 days.

Shit I messed up with the words, I was thinking about the reason we always see the same face and my brain crossed numbers. Thank you for correcting :)

That's what happens when english is not your language xD

MadAnon

at a microscopic level you should be able to see water curve somewhere on the “globe”. literally from any point that anyone in the world is standing, everything should be curving/tilting away from everyone 360 degrees around them. Just picture that in your mind for the ridiculousness of it.
You don't even need microscopic level.

water-droplets-on-leaves-1534182771qs0.jpg

I hope you realise tilt is measured in degrees? On a spherical body with a 40 075 km /24 901 mile circumference expecting noticable few degree tilt on objects within a sevearl km/mile radius is silly. I have noticed that flat earthers struggle with comperhension of size.

Last edited:
Neurons can last over 100 years. They are nondividing cells, but still they must recycle the matter that composes their membranes, proteins, etc. So the brain matter is replaced, not the cells, but the components of the cells, as outside the hippocampus and one other area neurogenesis does not occur in the rest of the brain.

There are superagers with brains that seem to function pretty similar to young brains even at very advanced ages.
How do 80-year-old 'super-agers' have the brains of 20-somethings?
Most elderly individuals' brains degrade over time, but some match — or even outperform — younger individuals on cognitive tests. https://bigthink.com/mind-brain/super-agers-brain?rebelltitem=3#rebelltitem3
Even those with vast neurodegeneration can actually be mostly asymptomatic in some cases if they have the spare capacity of decades of education.
Limited empirical attention has focused on elucidating the factors that prevent individuals with asymptomatic Alzheimer disease (AD), those with autopsy-confirmed AD pathology (β-amyloid [Aβ] plaques and aggregation of neurofibrillary tangles) but without cognitive impairment, from expressing clinical AD.1,2 Both cognitive reserve, frequently operationalized by educational attainment,1,2 and brain reserve, frequently operationalized by cranial volume,3 confer resilience to cognitive deficits associated with AD pathology. However, it is quite likely that additional factors beyond traditional metrics of cognitive and brain reserve contribute to resilience observed in asymptomatic AD.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5177674/
There are also young children who've had half their brain removed, yet still remain.

My point is that a.) even with the matter composing the cells in the brain being recycled and replaced many times over your lifetime you remain., b.) even with normal neural cell loss you remain yourself, and can remain mostly asymptomatic for a lifetime barring disease.

Yeah, it's like in those multiverse or parallel earth theories too. In parallel earth theories there are an infinite number of copies of you each taking different actions. In quantum manyworlds, you end up in one possible branch of reality, but supposedly the ones in the other branches are just as much you as you are. Yet despite all this, you seem bound to one history and one location on earth.
If the earth was round you wouldn't be able to see Greenland from Canada across the Davies Straight. In reality you can and I've seen it.
From what I've heard the ability to see extremely long distances is possible due to refraction in the atmosphere.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's like in those multiverse or parallel earth theories too. In parallel earth theories there are an infinite number of copies of you each taking different actions. In quantum manyworlds, you end up in one possible branch of reality, but supposedly the ones in the other branches are just as much you as you are. Yet despite all this, you seem bound to one history and one location on earth.

Terrifying.

Blade2.0

You can literally watch spaceships go into orbit in real time nowadays and you can see the fuckong ISS with a telescope when it goes overhead. If you think the world is flat you are fucking stupid.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
The earth is too big to see it at that altitude. 35 thousand feet is not even off the ground compared to the size of the earth. What beach can you see curvature from?
Take a pic of the earth with a clear sky at 35.000 feet and draw a straight line over it. You will notice the curve. As for the beach I can see it from a beach in Rio Grande do Norte here in Brazil. It's a deserted beach and the curve is very clear as well.

Peter303

The ISS is good evidence for a globe earth. You can see its path on various websites and if you look up into the sky at the times on the websites you will see it, so there's definitely something up there. Given its orbit and the spin of the earth its easy to understand why its flight path is how it is.
I would love to see the ISS flight path translated to a flat earth map. All random movements, speeding up and slowing down. I'd love to hear how flat earthers explain all that. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
How do these people explain how a plane can fly from NY to Tokyo heading east or west? I mean if the Earth is flat, clearly you cannot circumnavigate it heading in any direction right?

Take a pic of the earth with a clear sky at 35.000 feet and draw a straight line over it. You will notice the curve. As for the beach I can see it from a beach in Rio Grande do Norte here in Brazil. It's a deserted beach and the curve is very clear as well.
The arguement there is that cameras have a rounded lens which will skew the earth to make it look round. It's honestly a reasonable arguement, but one that could be adjusted by with a few calculations utilizing the manufactures lens model number and figuring out how much it skews the image. In the end, there will still be an arc, just not as prominent.

But one thing that can be done these days is using a camera without a lens. The CMOS sensor is always flat.

Last edited:

Thurible

That is a theory I believe. It is one of the ultimate fate of the universe.
Ahh, so you were speaking more on the grand scale rather when you said this.

But we came from nothing. The entire universe was made from nothing and the moment it was created its lifespan began counting down. Black holes will eventually return everything into nothing.

However, what you said was still incorrect, as there is no evidence that the universe came from nothing or that black holes can destroy matter completely. In the end, the bonds between the sub atomic won't last leading to a breakdown of matter, however that does not mean that it simply ceases to be, as there is still energy and some particulates.

lock2k

Banned
The arguement there is that cameras have a rounded lens which will skew the earth to make it look round. It's honestly a reasonable arguement, but one that could be adjusted by with a few calculations utilizing the manufactures lens model number and figuring out how much it skews the image. In the end, there will still be an arc, just not as prominent.

But one thing that can be done these days is using a camera without a lens. The CMOS sensor is always flat.

Top Bottom