• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flat Earth "The truth is more important than my life."

Weilthain

Banned
There's the moment in the Apollo 11 footage when the lander touches down and the dust gets sprayed out in a perfectly radial pattern, just as it should in a vacuum. On earth it would billow out into clouds of dust. To have faked that they would have to have filmed the approach and landing on the surface inside a giant vacuum. I doubt they did that.

This one is for you, just look how real that is.

Razorback

It’s all models and special effects.

What did I tell you about you being incapable of receiving new evidence? You have a mind virus that warps reality. Ask yourself what piece of evidence would truly convince you? What would that look like?
You claim everything is CGI, but what would a non CGI moon or Earth from space look like?

There is only one way of getting closer to the truth, and that is by acquiring evidence. The more evidence you have for a claim, the more likely it is that thing is true.
This isn't my opinion, this is how reality works.

But you have this belief that makes you feel like a special little snowflake, and besides youtube videos you have ZERO evidence for this belief. Admit it, you care about feeling special, you don't care about the truth so there's really nothing that could possibly show you otherwise. If someone dragged your ass into space to look at the Earth, you would claim the windows were projecting holograms or some shit.

Your mind has been murdered by youtube videos. RIP

Weilthain

Banned
What did I tell you about you being incapable of receiving new evidence? You have a mind virus that warps reality. Ask yourself what piece of evidence would truly convince you? What would that look like?
You claim everything is CGI, but what would a non CGI moon or Earth from space look like?

There is only one way of getting closer to the truth, and that is by acquiring evidence. The more evidence you have for a claim, the more likely it is that thing is true.
This isn't my opinion, this is how reality works.

But you have this belief that makes you feel like a special little snowflake, and besides youtube videos you have ZERO evidence for this belief. Admit it, you care about feeling special, you don't care about the truth so there's really nothing that could possibly show you otherwise. If someone dragged your ass into space to look at the Earth, you would claim the windows were projecting holograms or some shit.

Your mind has been murdered by youtube videos. RIP
Aw don’t get upset I don’t mean to offend you.

I think it’s fake because it looks fake among many other reasons. They didn’t even film the Israel and India moon missions this year for some reason .

Reminds me of a few days ago, there was a live spacewalk. Out of the 4.5 million nasa YouTube subs only 3k people were even watching.

The space walk wasn’t filmed in a swimming pool, it only looks like that way, but really they are in space.

Saruhashi

Banned
An uncle of mine, who has always been into conspiracy theory stuff, started posting some flat earth stuff on social media and at some point I asked him about it.

He told me that he doesn't actually think the Earth is flat but that he likes the attitude of questioning things which are presented as facts. That in posting flat earth stuff he had come across people that were unable to explain why they knew the earth is round other than "it's known" and that he thinks this type of thinking and our over reliance on known "facts" is dangerous (quoting how at some point in history you would be made fun of for claiming the earth isn't the center of the universe).

Which I guess makes some sense, though it's unrelated to the crazy people in the video.

I think it really makes sense in the context of people just going to The Internet to "win" arguments.

If I was really pushed on it then of course most of the things that I just take as facts are taken as facts due to a level of trust in those people presenting the facts.

Do I know with 100% certainty that the moon landings happened or that the earth is round? No.
Do I have 100% trust in the people who say these are facts? Yes.

The problem is when you start cracking open ideas like "well what does it mean when you say you KNOW something" and start really putting pressure on people to explain how they "know" what they claim to know. I mean, how can I even say that I know anything for sure.

In the context of the moon landings, since there have been posts about that, I feel like the question being asked by "deniers" is "do you trust the USA government enough to believe that they actually did this".

"Did man land on the moon" and "do you trust the government enough to believe them" are different questions.

Similarly, it feels like Flat Earthers are really questioning the trustworthiness of the scientific community and that's actually quite an interesting thing.

I believe these things because I trust the sources that told me these things.
What if that trust was taken away?
Do they deserve my trust?

Then, of course, for the regular everyday person does it even MATTER if man landed on the moon or if the Earth is round. That's a whole other thing.

Razorback

I think it’s fake because it looks fake among many other reasons. They didn’t even film the Israel and India moon missions this year for some reason .

Reminds me of a few days ago, there was a live spacewalk. Out of the 4.5 million nasa YouTube subs only 3k people were even watching.

The space walk wasn’t filmed in a swimming pool, it only looks like that way, but really they are in space.

Stop with the demands for evidence, it has no effect on you.

How can you even fathom being in space without ever being there? The rules of physics in a vacuum differ than the rules within an atmosphere with gravity. Things will look odd and different.

Explain this video:

There are no special effects here, as this is aboard the ISS where they conduct experiments in space.

I think it really makes sense in the context of people just going to The Internet to "win" arguments.

If I was really pushed on it then of course most of the things that I just take as facts are taken as facts due to a level of trust in those people presenting the facts.

Do I know with 100% certainty that the moon landings happened or that the earth is round? No.
Do I have 100% trust in the people who say these are facts? Yes.

The problem is when you start cracking open ideas like "well what does it mean when you say you KNOW something" and start really putting pressure on people to explain how they "know" what they claim to know. I mean, how can I even say that I know anything for sure.

In the context of the moon landings, since there have been posts about that, I feel like the question being asked by "deniers" is "do you trust the USA government enough to believe that they actually did this".

"Did man land on the moon" and "do you trust the government enough to believe them" are different questions.

Similarly, it feels like Flat Earthers are really questioning the trustworthiness of the scientific community and that's actually quite an interesting thing.

I believe these things because I trust the sources that told me these things.
What if that trust was taken away?
Do they deserve my trust?

Then, of course, for the regular everyday person does it even MATTER if man landed on the moon or if the Earth is round. That's a whole other thing.

I see your point, but I feel that there is enough evidence and enough backup evidence to prove that humans have been to the moon and rovers have been to mars. It's not like NASA or the Government is keeping all that data to themselves. There are plenty of videos, pictures and text to put it all together. As for flat earth.. not so much, none of the evidence makes sense and it has too many holes since average people can send cameras to space.

Last edited:

Weilthain

Banned
How can you even fathom being in space without ever being there? The rules of physics in a vacuum differ than the rules within an atmosphere with gravity. Things will look odd and different.

Explain this video:

There are no special effects here, as this is aboard the ISS where they conduct experiments in space.

The little green alien literally appears out of nowhere - using special effects. I think they were playing that up for the kids.

Was that magic or special effects?

Saruhashi

Banned

Explain this video:

I think the mistake you are making is that you are too self-assured in what you "know".

No offence meant to Weilthain Weilthain here but this is a situation where the only way to win is to not play.

Like "explain the video" doesn't work because literally anything can be faked.
So long as there is a way to put a little crack of doubt in the credibility of the source of the facts then there's a way to say "it's fake".

I think that actually coming in with 100% self assured confidence in the "facts" ends up actually having a negative effect.
Better to, as I said, not play and just say that you believe certain things and you see nothing that contradicts your belief.
It may not be satisfying but I think that's part of the "routine".

You see some claims that you "know" are wrong and so you can't help but say "you are so wrong, here is proof".
I think we all do it. I definitely do it.
It's a mistake in this context though because the next move is that you will be faced with is "can you trust the source of this proof".

Saruhashi

Banned
Conservatives warned that moral relativism ("what is truth?") would lead in this direction. Well, here we are.

Exactly.

When you see movements like this then it's a good example of what happens when stuff starts to run out of control.

You have high profile people talking about "my truth" and "your truth" and "her truth" then it seems inevitable that if enough people start to think this way then EVERYTHING is up for grabs.

If you used a compass, and traveled straight line west or east around the equator, you would be doing a big circle around the “North Pole” you wouldn’t actually be doing a straight line.

Suppose someone traveled along latitude 45d N, then along 45d S. Would they have gone the same distance?

Razorback

I think the mistake you are making is that you are too self-assured in what you "know".

No offence meant to Weilthain Weilthain here but this is a situation where the only way to win is to not play.

This is true. If someone reasoned themselves into a belief without evidence, there's no point in trying to reason them out of that belief with evidence.

What someone like Weilthain needs is to go back to reasoning from first principles. Assume absolutely nothing anyone tells him can be trusted, not Nasa, not the Pope, not YouTubers, and from there use logic to figure out how one arrives at the truth.
In philosophy, this is called epistemology. The study of how knowledge is acquired. In other words, what do you think you know, and how do you think you know it?
But for him to even consider doing this, he'd need a reason to. Trying to climb his way out of this hole he dug would only cause him discomfort.

Like "explain the video" doesn't work because literally anything can be faked.
So long as there is a way to put a little crack of doubt in the credibility of the source of the facts then there's a way to say "it's fake".

I think that actually coming in with 100% self assured confidence in the "facts" ends up actually having a negative effect.
Better to, as I said, not play and just say that you believe certain things and you see nothing that contradicts your belief.
It may not be satisfying but I think that's part of the "routine".

You see some claims that you "know" are wrong and so you can't help but say "you are so wrong, here is proof".
I think we all do it. I definitely do it.
It's a mistake in this context though because the next move is that you will be faced with is "can you trust the source of this proof".
Ok, but the same could be said about anything. People learn based on building upon what people have learned in the past. If we couldn't trust that data, we won't even begin to guess as to what to do next and we wouldn't be as advanced as we are now.

Considering where we were just 135 years ago when the first car was invented, we now have booster rockets that land themselves in hopes that we can get to all parts of the globe in approximately 60 minutes by using the earths orbit. We are now creating a Starship that's being constructed by Space X made in the hopes for interstellar travel.

With that in mind, within 10-20 years we will potentially be using these technologies the way they were intended and will be able to see the planet for ourselves and possibly get a taste of micro-gravity.

The point is, 135 years ago, no one expected us drive over 100 miles per hour, but here we sit going from one side of the planet to the other by plane within 12 hours. We have been to the moon, we have rovers on the moon and mars, we have a satellite that is exiting our solar system, we have people living in space for extended periods of time.

The problem I see is, that if you over analyze anything that is unfathomable and unbelievable, you will think you see cracks based on the limited information that you know and have experienced even if the evidence is concrete and available.

EDIT:
Consider this, with all the evidence that proves a lot of what we are talking about, there is also some bad evidence of the opposite where people think they know everything and they don't. Where they give themselves fake degrees and give themselves importance and provide false information. On one side of the fence you have scientific communities where they've been to space, on the other side you have people making their best guess without every being to the edge of space and have never seen the curvature of the earth and don't trust cameras. There is a wrong and a right path to take there.

Last edited:

Weilthain

Banned
This is true. If someone reasoned themselves into a belief without evidence, there's no point in trying to reason them out of that belief with evidence.

What someone like Weilthain needs is to go back to reasoning from first principles. Assume absolutely nothing anyone tells him can be trusted, not Nasa, not the Pope, not YouTubers, and from there use logic to figure out how one arrives at the truth.
In philosophy, this is called epistemology. The study of how knowledge is acquired. In other words, what do you think you know, and how do you think you know it?
But for him to even consider doing this, he'd need a reason to. Trying to climb his way out of this hole he dug would only cause him discomfort.
I’m open to the earth being round, flat whatever.

Not sure if I’m the one who has discomfort thinking about things differently.

Weilthain

Banned
I love flat earthers, for me, they are the best trolls out there.
Not matter what, I just can't take them serious , they are just plain stupid (pun intended).
I love seeing people rush to defend their beliefs but they don’t actually know what they believe all too well.

From a people stand point it’s fascinating how you are treated for questioning theories about our existence.

H4ze

I love seeing people rush to defend their beliefs but they don’t actually know what they believe all too well.

From a people stand point it’s fascinating how you are treated for questioning theories about our existence.

Well, for me there is just a big difference in "questioning theories about our existence" and "stupid shit people talk because I don't know why". A round earth is no theorie, it's a fact, or did I get your post wrong? ^^

Weilthain

Banned
Well, for me there is just a big difference in "questioning theories about our existence" and "stupid shit people talk because I don't know why". A round earth is no theorie, it's a fact, or did I get your post wrong? ^^
Space and the globe seems a lot like religion to me.
You don’t know what shape the earth is.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Humans have been pretty terrible at getting rid of conspiracies when they rise up.

Maybe it's because we're constantly backstabbing, deceiving, and gaslighting one another. 🤷‍♀️

The only real solution is to speak the truth and ride it out. Falsehood eventually gets found out because there's more power in truth than in "my lived experience".

Like the Climate Change conspiracy theorists.

There is an obvious conspiracy to exagerrate the damage of climate change for political and financial reasons that is separate from the subject itself.

Space and the globe seems a lot like religion to me.
You don’t know what shape the earth is.

If you go up high enough (not even into space) you can see the curvature of the Earth. Earth is obviously not flat-flat.

There is an obvious conspiracy to exagerrate the damage of climate change for political and financial reasons that is separate from the subject itself.

If you go up high enough (not even into space) you can see the curvature of the Earth. Earth is obviously not flat-flat.
Agreed. I don't think man-made climate change is a thing. I think the climate is changing, that is undeniable, but it's not something we can prevent or change. Historically speaking, the climate has always changed. I like to use a specific point regarding castles - in addition to the strength against bombardment/sieges, were also drafty because it was so hot then. They would put up tapestries during the winter to insulate the castle to keep things warm.

Weilthain

Banned
When you believe you have the magical ability to know why people responded a certain way, it's time to reexamine the method by which you confirm your facts.

Which is kind of the gist of your involvement in this thread so far.
Give me a break.

I get called names and talked down to for even bringing this stuff up, I can point out when someone is butt hurt it’s fine.

Weilthain

Banned

Are you one those people who believe they see a curve from an aeroplane?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Give me a break.

I get called names and talked down to for even bringing this stuff up, I can point out when someone is butt hurt it’s fine.
No.

Dismissing someone because you think they are upset you challenged their worldview is about as valuable as saying "u mad?", except with the added hubris of insisting that you are definitely right.

Weilthain

Banned
No.

Dismissing someone because you think they are upset you challenged their worldview is about as valuable as saying "u mad?", except with the added hubris of insisting that you are definitely right.

No.

He’s been a little unpleasant towards me, no big deal, so I throw some snark back.

Your weasel powers don’t work on me.

Maths can be true in of themselves but not necessarily reflect reality.
giphy.gif

Weilthain

Banned
You make a habit of namecalling for someone who is so sure about his "facts". Either a low-effort troll or someone with a chronic lack of access to information.
You’re just butt hurt you’ll be fine.

You don’t even know what you are talking about. I’m the one claiming to have the facts now?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
You’re just butt hurt you’ll be fine.

You don’t even know what you are talking about. I’m the one claiming to have the facts now?
Someone needs attention. The best solution would be to let you keep replying to an empty room as everyone awkwardly backs off. You're clearly not in this for discussion or learning.

You're here to teach us.

No thanks.

I’m not a math denier
You said it was built on lies implying it was built to cover flat earth but in reality it was built to advance our understanding of our would and to achieve feats of engineering that would all improve our lives. Math was simply used to help explain or measure the forces and phenomenon of our planet

Weilthain

Banned
You said it was built on lies implying it was built to cover flat earth but in reality it was built to advance our understanding of our would and to achieve feats of engineering that would all improve our lives. Math was simply used to help explain or measure the forces and phenomenon of our planet
Space math may be true in of itself on paper but I don’t believe it’s reality.

Top Bottom