• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flat Earth "The truth is more important than my life."

Weilthain

Banned
Well can’t you test that by traveling around earth at the equator? If the Earth was Flat you would go forever but round Earth you eventually come back to where you started. Not trying to make fun of you or anything just want to see what your theories are.
If you used a compass, and traveled straight line west or east around the equator, you would be doing a big circle around the “North Pole” you wouldn’t actually be doing a straight line.

ManaByte

You say that like you know.

You don’t know that.

galaxyquest-is-there-air-gif.gif

You don’t know that.
Which is why it's a THEORY, backed by Scientific studies and evidence.

The earth and all the planets and satellites being spherical is Scientific FACT and were proven by Scientific Studies, and factual Evidence and experiments which provided them with educated conclusions. Such as satalites that we send to space, telescopes, rovers that we send to our moon and mars and so on. What has a flat earther sent to space? What flat earther has even been sent to space? You can put cameras on a air balloon to study the curvature, using math and algorithms you can adjust for the camera lens. You can literally watch the earth spin on youtube as the ISS floats on by.

people literally receive Telecommunications, TV, GPS, and Internet via satalite. This would not be possible if those satalites could not orbit the earth.

What evidence would you simply have to prove otherwise?

Last edited:

Razorback

There were two moon missions this year. No video cameras.

Stick some cameras on those rockets and film the weeks long journey that would be a great start.

Let’s at least be able to compare some footage of earth from space with something other than the totally not fake Apollo footage.

Stop lying to yourself. There's already plenty of footage around so video evidence would never be sufficient to convince you.
This belief of yours makes you feel special. If you were to lose this belief you would lose something precious to you.
As such your brain sees the world through a filter that only takes in that which confirms what you already believe, and rejects everything that goes against it.
It's a well studied cognitive bias called motivated reasoning. Everyone is like this, some more than others. Flat earthers suffer from an extreme case of it. You would have to make an herculean effort to climb out of this hole you dug.

DKehoe

Gold Member

You don’t know that.

I’m curious, what got you into being a flat earther? What convinced you?

The thing I’ve also never understood about Flat Earth Theory is, to put it bluntly, what’s the point of it? If it’s true then why are people claiming that the earth is round instead of flat?

Weilthain

Banned
Stop lying to yourself. There's already plenty of footage around so video evidence would never be sufficient to convince you.
This belief of yours makes you feel special. If you were to lose this belief you would lose something precious to you.
As such your brain sees the world through a filter that only takes in that which confirms what you already believe, and rejects everything that goes against it.
It's a well studied cognitive bias called motivated reasoning. Everyone is like this, some more than others. Flat earthers suffer from an extreme case of it. You would have to make an herculean effort to climb out of this hole you dug.
I’m not exactly a flat earther in the sense I claim to know the shape of the earth although I am very open to it not being a floating space ball.

You say there is sufficient video footage from deep space but there isn’t.

These are fake flat earthers.

Anything associated with mark sargent is Masonic disinformation to make flat earth look even more stupid than it sounds

There are like 5 people who actually believe the flat earth stuff. It's a boogeyman used to drum up internet karma, and/or easy picking for a mob.

Weilthain

Banned
There are like 5 people who actually believe the flat earth stuff. It's a boogeyman used to drum up internet karma, and/or easy picking for a mob.
The flat earth stuff like
Op video yes it’s all for money. Some of them actually believe but mostly it’s charlatans.

I guarantee you there are many genuine flat earthers.

Weilthain

Banned
I’m curious, what got you into being a flat earther? What convinced you?

The thing I’ve also never understood about Flat Earth Theory is, to put it bluntly, what’s the point of it? If it’s true then why are people claiming that the earth is round instead of flat?
To control people by controlling where they think they live

Razorback

I’m not exactly a flat earther in the sense I claim to know the shape of the earth although I am very open to it not being a floating space ball.

Let's do an experiment I'm going to give you a link, but before you click on it I want you to put yourself in state of self-examination. It's like a meditation type of exercise where you pay close attention to how you feel and you distance yourself from your thoughts so you can examine them objectively. When you click on the link, see how it makes you feel.

This exercise is only for yourself. There's really no point in you telling me how you felt so you don't need to report back.

Weilthain

Banned
Let's do an experiment I'm going to give you a link, but before you click on it I want you to put yourself in state of self-examination. It's like a meditation type of exercise where you pay close attention to how you feel and you distance yourself from your thoughts so you can examine them objectively. When you click on the link, see how it makes you feel.

This exercise is only for yourself. There's really no point in you telling me how you felt so you don't need to report back.

That’s some fake ass moon footage right there.

Weilthain

Banned
But on a day to day basis what difference does it make if people believe they live on a sphere rather than a flat surface? It’s pretty abstract to us either way. Why is that the method they have chosen to control people?
Maybe there are other lands/continents that are being hidden.

MadAnon

I don’t know. I keep demanding they put cameras on deep space rockets but they don’t! The Apollo footage seems to be the only “real” footage of earth from deep space.

Cgi cartoons and high altitude photography from “low earth orbit” is enough for most people.
How do you know those are cartoons and cgi? You were attached to the rocket and witnessed it? You demand cameras but deny every footage there is. You say you don't necessarily think the earth is flat but it seems like you expect it to be flat. Otherwise what basis you have to assume that every footage is fake CGI and that none of the footage is real actual camera footage?

How about you just admit right now that you are a real flat earther and nothing will convince you otherwise. Even a trip to space wouldn't convince you. You would just say you are in some advanced simulator with screens as windows.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

How would a flat earth even work
The water would fall off the earth
We wouldn't be able to rotate around the sun properly
???

MadAnon

An uncle of mine, who has always been into conspiracy theory stuff, started posting some flat earth stuff on social media and at some point I asked him about it.

He told me that he doesn't actually think the Earth is flat but that he likes the attitude of questioning things which are presented as facts. That in posting flat earth stuff he had come across people that were unable to explain why they knew the earth is round other than "it's known" and that he thinks this type of thinking and our over reliance on known "facts" is dangerous (quoting how at some point in history you would be made fun of for claiming the earth isn't the center of the universe).

Which I guess makes some sense, though it's unrelated to the crazy people in the video.

Makes sense!? Then 2+2=4 should be questioned? I should have questioned the maps I used on my trip? I should question if Australia is real? I should questions how computers work? I should question evereything that's passed as fact. So his wise words are to reinvent the wheel? What a stupid way of thinking.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
We have a dome over our heads. You fabians are literally the dumbest apes on planet earth who just think our home is a flying frisbee hurtling through space.

It's more like a snowglobe or a terrarium, not a flat disc. The water travels up the sides of the glass and comes down as rain.

Weilthain

Banned
How would a flat earth even work
???
Maybe we aren’t rotating around the sun, and the sun and moon circle above the world.

It's more like a snowglobe or a terrarium, not a flat disc. The water travels up the sides of the glass and comes down as rain.

The hardcore Cristians believe in a physical dome but they believe some weirder shit that that including giants and rocks that are actually trees.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I need you to know something, this fake NASA moon landing and fake footage of the earth being round nonsense runs so deep that the Greeks were in on the coverup, too:

Imagine, using math and the position of the sun and the time of day to prove that the earth was curved? Hilarious. Imagine using math to puzzle out the earth's circumference without any official exploration or photographs to confirm it.

Math is the original deception. Flat earth? Bitch, you still believe in math? Get on my level. Math is just a part of the simulation and the fact that the Greeks used Math to prove the earth was round is yet another piece of evidence.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
The spherical definition of the Earth is pretty undisputed IMO. I am not against conspiracies that maps are off or there are uncharted lands but the physical qualities of a round Earth make sense. Once you deny a round Earh you also deny a million other theories, u have to explain so much now. How does gravity work? Why does the sun move across the sky, is it swallowed by the horizon? I dunno, Flat Earth seems like it opens up way many more questions than it solves.

Also it’s very unnatural; is any other object in life flat? Rocks? Trees? Water? Clouds? Animals? Maybe some fish and single cell organisms. Flatness is kind of rare IRL. It isn’t a mode that lends itself to complexity.

Flat earth seems like a modern contrarian fad based on fringe pre medieval frameworks. Despite common misconceptions a number of cosmological models were considered throughout history. Aristotlean atomism as a universal model was openly embraced by famed and popular Jewish-Islamic scholar Moses Maimonides as early as the 12th century. Round Earth theory has been a thing since the Crusades

Last edited:
To be honest I don't really "get" the whole Flat Earth thing.

They are kind of a cross between trolls and conspiracy theorists?

It always struck me that they know the whole thing CAN'T be true but they enjoy seeing how far they can run with it?

Like you could look at how our modern culture holds "science" up as this infallible thing.
However the truth is that science is more or less always a process of assuming something is true and then working towards an even better understanding that sometimes ends up proving that the old assumptions were entirely wrong.

It always seemed to me that Flat Earth is almost like a rebellion against science, or at least against the idea that today "facts" are set in stone.

CLEARLY the Earth is not flat. That's absurd.

However, when I look at it from the outside, I am kind of uncomfortable with how the Flat Earth community is treated and it really seems to be that the way they are treated by the mainstream culture plays a big factor in how they are able to grow.

We seem to be REALLY terrible at dealing with people who are, for whatever reason, outright denying scientific facts.

This sounds like something a self conscious flat earther would say

Geki-D

Banned
-Flat Earthers generally believe in a barrier, be it an ice wall or a dome.
-They generally all believe that the sun is actually small and moves over the flat Earth. Earth doesn't rotate around the sun.

I've watched and talked to plenty of flat Earthers and it's pretty much the ultimate conclusion of conspiracy theory belief. They all tend to believe every other conspiracy theory; fake moon lands, false flag mass shootings, 9/11 was an inside job, gouvernement engineered Mandela effect, climate change is a hoax, the holocaust didn't happen, anti-vax, chlorine in the water is poison, chemtrails, the world is ran by a shadow organisation (generally the the Masons, sometimes the Jews)...

You'd think most flat Earthers would be religious and whilst a good few are and base it off what's in the Bible, a load actually support their belief with an extreme distrust of the government and established knowledge. Essentially everything is a lie, if we're taught something as common knowledge but you can't see it yourself with a cursory glance, then it must be questioned as is no doubt a falsehood pushed by "the elite".

It's a form of delusional disorder, the actual believers are mentally ill and you can always count on people like Mark Sargent to cash in on the victims. This guy knows is all BS but it's his claim to fame and makes him the big bucks:

Explain tides.
He should explain the horizon first.

Last edited:

20cent

Banned

I believe that the earth is round... but there's no way that this video is real. This is clearly a (really bad) rendering.

kTB1PtN.png

Come on guys, some of you spend so much time and energy arguing framerate drops, polygons amount and analyzing in-game graphics and comparing ray-tracing between 2 cards from the same manufacturer but you claim that these Blender moon shots are made with 4K cameras?

Last edited:

MadAnon

It is perspective.

Your horizon isn’t actually the earth curving away from you.

What the hell is this pseudo science? Just wow...

That's not how perspective works. Perspective is when the object gets smaller and smaller the further it moves away from you until there's not enough light reaching your eye to see it. Sun doesn't become smaller and smaller the further it moves towards the horizon and doesn't become significantly bigger when it moves towards the apex. Your vision can't just cut off half of the sun. So when it looks like a ship sinks behind horizon few miles out in the sea it's because of perspective? If so then I wouldn't be able too see a whole plane with the contrail behind on a clear day. Part of it would be cut off because of "your perspective".

Last edited:

Weilthain

Banned
What the hell is this pseudo science? Just wow...

That's not how perspective works. Perspective is when the object gets smaller and smaller the further it moves away from you until there's not enough light reaching your eye to see it. Sun doesn't become smaller and smaller the further it moves towards the horizon and doesn't become significantly bigger when it moves towards the apex. Your vision can't just cut off half of the sun.
You should look into perspective and horizon etc you would learn so much.

Last edited:

MadAnon

You should look into perspective and horizon etc you would learn so much.
I have already looked into it. And learned that object can't just start to disappear from bottom to the top because it gets further away.

I repeat! So when it looks like a ship sinks behind the horizon few miles out in the sea it's because of perspective? If so then I wouldn't be able too see a whole plane with the contrail behind it on a clear day. Part of what I see would be cut off because of your perspective. And this cut off amount would vary as it moves closer to me and further away to horizon. Because that's how vision and perspective works according to you right?

Last edited:

Weilthain

Banned
I have already looked into it. And learned that object can't just start to disappear from bottom to the top because it gets further away.

I repeat! So when it looks like a ship sinks behind the horizon few miles out in the sea it's because of perspective? If so then I wouldn't be able too see a whole plane with the contrail behind it on a clear day. Part of what I would be cut off because of your perspective. And this cut off amount would vary as it moves closer to me and further away to horizon. Because that's how vision and perspective works according to you right?
Look into it more! You’re on the right track with ships going bottom down first.

Peter303

There's the moment in the Apollo 11 footage when the lander touches down and the dust gets sprayed out in a perfectly radial pattern, just as it should in a vacuum. On earth it would billow out into clouds of dust. To have faked that they would have to have filmed the approach and landing on the surface inside a giant vacuum. I doubt they did that.

Top Bottom