• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flaw in Switch firmware draining GPU resources. Will be fixed, improving performance.

Cerium

edit: Eh.

That's all the info I received on the matter. Sounds like it's a minor thing but interferes slightly with the adaptive resolution feature. I wouldn't expect huge performance gains in games like Zelda or anything.

Full article

Youtube

From what we understand, there is a small issue with the current firmware on Switch which causes a slight drain on GPU resources - once corrected, we're told that Fast RMX should sustain a full 1080p in docked mode.

The bolded is probably thread worthy itself

Oregano

As I said in the FAST thread some early 3DS games saw improvements after a 3Ds firmware update so this isn't unprecedented.

Nibel

Boost mode incoming.

NbMzXXE.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just before we all go crazy waiting for the second GPU to be unlocked with a firmware update, I t may simply be something specifically related to dynamic resolution and not have any impact on any other current games.

Bluth54

Just before we all go crazy waiting for the second GPU to be unlocked with a firmware update, I t may simply be something specifically related to dynamic resolution and not have any impact on any other current games.

Are you kidding? Nvidia made the Switch GPU! It's going to be 2 other GPUs that connect via a special version of SLI designed for the Switch.

Eolz

People shouldn't expect more than slightly better perf or more stable framerate.
It's not some secret chip waiting to be enabled.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Definitely interested to see what impact this has on Zelda. I've played majority of that game casually on portable mode, and every time I go docked the framerate inconsistencies are immediately noticeable.

ZeroX03

Banned
Jesus to the people thinking it's going to be a gamechanger.

It causes some fluctuation between 1080p and 900p in FAST RMX and was written that it was a slight issue. We're not going to see big performance gains, if anything noticeable at all.

"Bombshell", c'mon.

Paz

Be careful not to blow this comment out of proportion, there are many possibilities for what they mean here (In terms of its impact across the system). SDK/Firmware stuff especially at launch can be complicated.

This is also a developer and not Nintendo talking, which is an important distinction that should be front and center in the OP.

nynt9

I wonder why OP didn't include this tidbit

That's all the info I received on the matter. Sounds like it's a minor thing but interferes slightly with the adaptive resolution feature. I wouldn't expect huge performance gains in games like Zelda or anything.

Lol, edited in.

Hermii

I hope I can download 16nm pascal and double ram bandwidth in a firmware update. Would be nice if they threw in some A72s clocked at Foxconn speeds as well.

c0de

As I said in the FAST thread some early 3DS games saw improvements after a 3Ds firmware update so this isn't unprecedented.

Especially when you consider that the Switch firmware seems to be an evolution of the 3ds firmware.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I think the only way we get any significant performance boosts in Zelda is if they actually update the game with some optimizations, I don't believe this will change much.

Hopefully they do update the game.

ZeroX03

Banned
When I say the title can't get any longer I literally mean that is the maximum number of characters that will fit.

Reword it.

And you also put "Bombshell" in the post text. No limit on that. You were trying to make it out as a big thing.

Cerium

Rewording is a thing.

And you also put "Bombshell" in the post text. No limit on that. You were trying to make it a big thing.
Would it blow your mind to learn that with the second thread you linked, I requested the lock from Falk? Nobody is perfect and I don't pretend to be. And that's all I have to say to you.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I saw the quote in the other thread.

Maybe it's semantics, but Fast switches resolution a lot. I'm not saying it's suddenly gonna gain double the power.

I also think considering that game even adapts down to 720p sometimes that being able to basically be locked 1080 is more than a slight bump.

Probably just semantics though.

Top Bottom