• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flickering white line on PS4 menu. Anyone else?

https://youtu.be/4xXdwfjKUAM Example video.

So for a few weeks now whenever I go to the PS4 menu from in a game this white line starts flickering in the exact same spot. It doesn't happen every single time I play, but it happens often enough. Occasionally it'll show up as a solid line when I'm using Netflix or Vue and once and a while in a game, going to the PS4 menu and back gets rid of it.

Is my PS4's GPU failing? I've had mine since launch and this is a relatively new thing. I'm not getting any graphical artifacts or anything else. Is this just a glitch with the latest firmware?

So for a few weeks now whenever I go to the PS4 menu from in a game this white line starts flickering in the exact same spot. It doesn't happen every single time I play, but it happens often enough. Occasionally it'll show up as a solid line when I'm using Netflix or Vue and once and a while in a game, going to the PS4 menu and back gets rid of it.

Is my PS4's GPU failing? I've had mine since launch and this is a relatively new thing. I'm not getting any graphical artifacts or anything else. Is this just a glitch with the latest firmware?
Have you tried different cables or connecting it to another TV to rule any issues out?

Juster

Neo Member
I have also experienced this but it seems to go away. I netflix a lot and wonder if that has something to do with it.

I saw that shit while playing Driveclub like a week and half ago.
Quit the game, didn't see it on the XMB, booted DC back up and there it was again.

EDIT: I haven't seen it since then, but I also haven't played DC since then either.

I'm getting the same thing since the newest firmware. Seems to be worsened if my PS4 hasn't been fully shut down in a few days. Restarting my system fixes it.

There was a fix for flickering that involve doing to settings sounds and screens and turning off deep color. Not sure if that will fix it. It happened on ps3 and ps4 before.

Holy shit!

I thought I was crazy when I noticed this on the VR headset. When I played on my TV later, I saw it there too.

It's the same as you mention-- only occasionally shows up and goes away by jumping between the home screen and apps. I thought it might have just been the theme I was using.

RoeBear

I used to see it all the time. I bought a new tv and don't see it anymore.

At my friends house I saw the same issue. When I saw the issue with mine I switched cables and tried it on my monitor, and I still had the issue. No idea as to why it happens.

I see it too but only every once in awhile and never in the XMB but only when playing Destiny. It's not constant either.

Weird.

antibolo

Banned
I'm seeing this since getting PSVR. Almost all the time while the headset is on, but only sometimes while it's off.

Do you also have PSVR connected OP? If so, it seems like a glitch of the processing box.

Blazeddc

I have the same problem. Also a launch PS4. The problem usually shows up when I am listening to music with the media player app while playing a game. A reboot typically fixes the issue.

I'm seeing this since getting PSVR. Almost all the time while the headset is on, but only sometimes while it's off.

Do you also have PSVR connected OP? If so, it seems like a glitch of the processing box.
No PSVR. I'm running an old 720p LCD for reference.

Thank god it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue.

Geedorah

I've got the exact same artifact on my PS4! Glad to know it isn't just me.

I wonder what caused it - I didn't notice it back a couple months ago when I used my PS4 daily, but I took a little break to whittle away at my PC backlog. And now when I got back to try Destiny:RoI I notice it every single day!

dreamfall

I was playing some UFC a couple days ago and I noticed it, put the PS4 in rest mode. Coming back to it today, it wasn't there but it seems to show up with greater frequency when my game is suspended?

It's hilarious that it's all in the same spot.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Have the same problem! I thought my HDMI cable was faulty or something.

Dogpiling on the "seen it recently" pile.

Assumed my GPU was dying because this thing is really cheaply put together. My USB ports are rusting for christsakes, and my system has been in an air-conditioned environment at 70 degrees for it's whole life. Never ever seen a USB port rust before this.

Holy shit that guy has a ps4 leaf blower.

I have not noticed that line on mine, but after reading this now I'm gonna get all OCD over it lol.

I've noticed that too when playing Destiny, though it's also appeared in a few different spots (more towards the bottom right) a couple times.

Glad to know it's not just me, thought my TV was dying or something.

Feeroper

Yeah I have the same thing but it is just a bug with the current OS version. I also thought it was a GPU overheating issue, but it isn't. It only happens sometimes and only when a game is running.

I googled it back then and found other people who had the issue and it was confirmed somewhere to be some sort of bug situation. I don't have the link anymore though sadly, just going by memory.

Slaythe

Holy hell I thought it was on my end !!!

Have the same exact issue, since the update. Never before, and all other consoles still work the same.

I'm using different cables going through capture cards so I know they're not faulty.

Lan_97

Wow, thought it was just me with a failing ps4. This line will also show up in the VR headset off in the periphery.

MikeDown

Banned
I remember when watching the Olympics and playing a little bit of gravity rush that there were white flickering present, I believe they have disappeared after a system update tho.

eFKac

Hah actually yeah, a couple of days ago it popped during FIFA 17, but since then disappered. Thought it's some dead pixels on my TV at first

I wouldn't worry about it, will probably be fixed by the next patch.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I have the same issue pop up from time to time, except mine doesn't flicker, and it's on the other side of the screen.

Glad to hear it's not just me.

YES! I've had this problem too. I was really worried initially because I figured it was my TV conking out, but came to realise it had to be an issue with the PS4. I got it worst a few months ago when I was playing Street Fighter V for long periods of time, and when I went from the game to, say, the web browser for instance, I would see flickering lines everywhere.

I don't get it so bad now, but it pops up from time to time, especially if the console has been on for a long duration of time and I go back and forth from a game to the OS. Any solutions?

Edit - Actually, come to think of it, I haven't seen any lines at all lately. Maybe the latest update eradicated the problem for me. Who knows. Maybe it depends on the game. I don't play SFV anymore.

yohan12

I had this issue awhile ago. I had to rebuild the system database for another reason and it seems to have gone away. I would try that.

test_account

XP-39C²
I also had that a few weeks ago. I just rebooted the console, or maybe i pulled out the AC cord for a few minutes, cant remember, but its gone now at least.

Top Bottom