• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flight Sim '21 (Xbox) Review Thread

cormack12

Gold Member
If there are any you want adding, just throw them in the thread and @ me so I can put them in the OP - Someone wanted a review thread so I put this up.

Metacritic: Releases in 14 hours from thread time

PC thread: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/microsoft-flight-simulator-review-thread.1561443/

10/10

8.5/10

4.5/5

skneogaf

I have a flight simulator with yoke, pedals, throttle, stick etc but I bet if I just used a pad I'd probably play this game way more as I'm far to lazy most of the time to go in to my sim room to play.

This is a hell of a way to get access to flight simulator plus honeycomb are releasing a yoke for xbox soon.

Stuart360

While you fly the plane with controller, you can still use keyboard and mouse for the cockpit interaction.

That's how i played it on PC.
Oh yeah for sure, and that would be easier if you'e playing with full flight contrrols.
You can still use a controller when in cockpit mode though. I think you hold down one of the shoulder buttions and then you can 'look' around the cockpit and click buttons etc.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
dj khaled dancing GIF by BET Hip Hop Awards

Dj Khaled Dance GIF

ZywyPL

Banned
And here I was thinking "its not a real game"

/s

Because it is, it's not a title for an average Joe, it's a simulator, it's in the name even, it targets a specific group of people/enthusiasts, and once the visual impression wears off, once people check out how their hometowns look in the game etc. I really don't expect many XB players to stick with the title for longer, people who are really into this stuff have already been playing it for year on their PCs, with throttles, pedals, VR googles and what's not. Because really, there isn't much gameplay in it other than some sightseeing, the franchise is decades old now, for someone who wasn't into it already there won't be anything new in FS2020.

Last edited:

Greggy

Because it is, it's not a title for an average Joe, it's a simulator, it's in the name even, it targets a specific group of people/enthusiasts, and once the visual impression wears off, once people check out how their hometowns look in the game etc. I really don't expect many XB players to stick with the title for longer, people who are really into this stuff have already been playing it for year on their PCs, with throttles, pedals, VR googles and what's not. Because really, there isn't much gameplay in it other than some sightseeing, the franchise is decades old now, for someone who wasn't into it already there won't be anything new in FS2020.
Not sure that sentence makes a lot of sense. I wasn't already into it because I have never played an MSFS game and I look forward to discovering it.
I also think a lot of flight enthusiasts happen not to be able to afford the kind of PC it takes to enjoy FS2020 with decent graphics and a solid framerate. They will probably be all over the Xbox port at a time when it's very complicated to travel in real life.

Last edited:
You can play the PC version with just a controller. The menus can be a pain with a controller though and i'm sure they have improved it further for console.
i know. i use a controller on PC but also with a keyboard/mouse. i'm just wondering how you'd deal with pressing all those buttons/switches in the cockpit with a controller. a controller is fine if you want to just take off, fly about, and land. i use my mouse to set headings/altitude/auto pilot and operate the screens. not sure how that'd work with a controller.

While you fly the plane with controller, you can still use keyboard and mouse for the cockpit interaction.

That's how i played it on PC.
that's what i do too.

Last edited:
watched some of the gameplay on xbox. seems they've done a decent job of using a controller to interact with everything in the cockpit. i have gamepass ultimate so will check it out tomorrow through xCloud and see how it is. it's actually crazy the thought that i will be able to play this on my iPad :messenger_tears_of_joy:

elliot5

watched some of the gameplay on xbox. seems they've done a decent job of using a controller to interact with everything in the cockpit. i have gamepass ultimate so will check it out tomorrow through xCloud and see how it is. it's actually crazy the thought that i will be able to play this on my iPad :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Don't think it's available on cloud tomorrow. Maybe later

GHG

Gold Member
Good to see the experience has translated well to Console, Asobo have really nailed it with this game/sim (whatever you prefer to call it).

it's a lot more fun than i anticipated. a really thoughtful, almost meditative sim experience. gamepad controls work good but i'd like to try it out with a decent flight stick.

do it jewish GIF

It's a transformative experience, you get much better fine control and it makes pulling off manoeuvres smoothly without any assists much easier.

The fidelity and level of optimization they transferred over is amazing happy for console guys and girls to get their hands on what might be their first flight sim.

I play on PC with full setup and VR and it’s so surreal looking down at the world and seeing places you’ve visited and stood in a game.
I was wondering about how well VR works on pc. Which headset and gpu/cpu do you have?

Droxcy

I was wondering about how well VR works on pc. Which headset and gpu/cpu do you have?

i9-9900k 2080TI and Quest 2

After following some VR graphics guides it runs smooth 60fps got the quest running through the link cable and use SideQuest to max out the resolution and performance of the headset.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Not my cup of tea but great to see it turn out so well. GOTG for some I’m sure.

i9-9900k 2080TI and Quest 2

After following some VR graphics guides it runs smooth 60fps got the quest running through the link cable and use SideQuest to max out the resolution and performance of the headset.
Man, I should probably try it out. RTX3080, 3700x with a valve index. I'm guessing I'd have to lower resolution a little and play at 60.

The tech in this simulator is amazing. As a game, I have zero interest to play it. But, it does get me excited about potential next-gen games.

the difference between offline and online is insane. hope you all have fast internet with no caps.

i've used about 350GB on PC so far after only flying for about 19 hours.

Tempted to fly from the UK to US east coast. I think seeing the coastline on the horizon for the first time would be pretty special, would feel like discovering a new land.
remember it's a simulator so you're gonna be flying about 7-8 hours over nothing but water. of course you could just take off, set autopilot, and leave your xbox running until you're about to land.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
the difference between offline and online is insane. hope you all have fast internet with no caps.

You can pre-download your route. Not sure if it's an option on console but you can on PC.

You can pre-download your route. Not sure if it's an option on console but you can on PC.
i know you can cache areas but i didn't know you could download routes. still it's a lot of data to go through. the game really needs to be played online for the best experience.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
i know you can cache areas but i didn't know you could download routes. still it's a lot of data to go through. the game really needs to be played online for the best experience.

Yeh either way the initial game download isn't enough. If you know where you're going to be flying you can just do this:

Also makes the game run a little better since the CPU isn't having to handle the download and decompression on the fly (people who have intermittent stuttering issues can fix it by doing this).

FYI photogrammetry is only included if you select the "high" quality cache.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

remember it's a simulator so you're gonna be flying about 7-8 hours over nothing but water. of course you could just take off, set autopilot, and leave your xbox running until you're about to land.
I know, I’m just that sad.

Droxcy

Man, I should probably try it out. RTX3080, 3700x with a valve index. I'm guessing I'd have to lower resolution a little and play at 60.

I think I’m running a pretty high resolution and it’s going great search up some VR settings guides and they’ll dial in your settings properly once you do it’s a noticeable difference.

GHG

Gold Member
I know, I’m just that sad.

Put a podcast on and hit the sky.

It's my go to game if I want to unwind for a couple of hours.

Although I don't know how it would feel with a controller in hand on longer flights instead of a flight stick.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Exactly. Its a title that were it to have come out a different time, and on a different platform would not be getting a fraction of the attention is currently attracting.

Top Bottom