• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Nialrot

Still no power in Orlando at my neighborhood.

Had to send the wife and little one to her parents for a little reprieve.

Good thing the nearby brewery is open and with power.

There's nothing wrong with due diligence and preparation.

i agree, where did i say otherwise? the people who downplay these things are idiots, but there are also a ton of people who seem to get off on the worst case scenarios and their potential. i don't know if it's a reaction to those in denial about the climate and the seriousness of these storms or if it's just people rubbernecking, but it's pretty tiring. leading up to sunday this thread was full of people around the country feigning concern while treating it like an episode of 24. the thread died when the storm died faster than expected. so many people view potential carnage as entertainment, just as long as it doesn't affect them.

i'm ready for jose. we're even leaving our shutters up for now. it's just that after all the anxiety we've had to deal with the last week, it would be nice if people could talk about the small possibility of jose coming here without the "sweet jesus" doom and gloom.

i'm ready for jose. we're even leaving our shutters up for now. it's just that after all the anxiety we've had to deal with the last week, it would be nice if people could talk about the small possibility of jose coming here without the "sweet jesus" doom and gloom.
I remember that in 2005 when they ran way past the alphabet of storms. At least you'll get some energy savings while they're up.

At my wife's art studio cuz still now power at my place in Fort Lauderdale. Oddly it's like a few blocks away on both the west and east of us power is on but non at home.

statham

this did more damage to Jax then I expected. we have 5 peeps that cant report to work because the only road in or out of a major street is flooded 3-4+ feet. I texted them if they need food or gas, before I thought to myself how can I even get it to them.
I also spoke to a clay electric peep, and he says water moccasins is a issue in restoring power, they are everywhere.

Dragoshi1

Waiting for power in Seminole County. Read the same thing about Duke saying Sunday night. Hoping that's just a lie so when it comes back earlier we are all happy.
Same. 90+ degrees, window wide open, still baking alive. Own 3 dogs, so house stinks bad. And a sunday power up feels so far away.

HercRaato

Ft Myers going on day 4 with no power. Fpl is saying it should be restored by the 22nd at the latest. This just sucks. We have food and water, but trying to sleep when it's 85 with 90% humidity is just miserable.

Tokubetsu

still no power where I'm at in cutler bay, patience and understanding has pretty much dried up at this point. knowing ppl have power literally a hop skip and a jump away not helping

I feel for everybody out there that is still without power. 1 day is doable, 2 is miserable. Cant imagine having to go a full week. Trying to get any sleep is the worst part.

I got ahold of Amazon yesterday regarding the package I had originally wanted to send before Irma hit Naples FL.

The rep. wanted to get ahold of UPS to schedule a different drop off area. I told the rep, and I'll tell you all here, that UPS in FL is probably going to be hard to get ahold of as a lot of folks are probably contacting them over shipments. I suspect the same for USPS and FedEX.

The rep did tell me on her end that a delivery will be made to my folks place today. So if that is any positive speculation it sounds like UPS is pretty much trying to get back on its feet for delivering their goods. Keep an eye out for your tracking information.

Worse case scenario, least in my situation, if today delivery doesn't make it, I can call UPS and have them drop the item off at a local United States Post Office. Which might be better if the roads in your area are inaccessible. Keep this in mind, especially if you need medicines and time is of the essence.

I3rand0

Teco is staying they don't expect to have all the power turned back on until Sunday. Crazy to think what would've happen if Tampa took a direct hit from this.

Astral

I still don't have cell phone service here in Miami. I have to keep going outside to find reception or go to my sister's house to use her wifi. Comcast is taking a while with the internet too.

I got off the phone with my mom, she is trying to ship out golf clubs to Ohio. The 3rd party shop she went to said FedEX and UPS aren't taking any packages yet(least for her area). That's kinda balls.

I still don't have cell phone service here in Miami. I have to keep going outside to find reception or go to my sister's house to use her wifi. Comcast is taking a while with the internet too.

Same for Naples FL, parents have to go to the cell tower near their local Wal Mart.

witness

Was amazing to sleep at a hotel with power and AC. Cant book here again though as they are full, but we found a hotel that is close to our house that accepts pets so we will go there next. Will not pay for another night in a hotel though after this. Fingers crossed the power comes back today. Cell phone coverage is practically non existent for T Mobile in Orlando, luckily I also have Verizon.

Noshino

Please check on those left at assisted living homes.

Here next to Memorial Regional the AC died a couple of days ago and today a bunch of people (officially 5 thus far) have died of heatstroke and other complications. They are treating it as a mass casualty, hospital on lockdown only allowing workers and patients with certain conditions.

never nervous

Neo Member
Never lost power in east Orlando but a friend who lives about 5 minutes away from me did. Haven't had internet or cable since 4 AM Monday and woke up yesterday to no water. Not sure how I lost water after the storm but man does it suck.

Ft Myers going on day 4 with no power. Fpl is saying it should be restored by the 22nd at the latest. This just sucks. We have food and water, but trying to sleep when it's 85 with 90% humidity is just miserable.

We have the same situation here with FPL near Fort Lauderdale (Sailboat Bend area if you know of it).

Sleeping and just staying at home sucks due to the dead hot air. We have been trying to go elsewhere but it's disheartening when less than a block away on both sides of us everyone has power. Right now grabbing lunch at Burger Fi

Dysun

My power stayed on during the storm (I live near FIU) but my ATT Cell/Data dropped for 2 days, and my Comcast Internet is still out.

juicyb

My dad lives in Naples, Florida and has a boat near Marco Island. Both were almost completely untouched. The streets were flooded up to his knees, but none of it got in their house.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Still no power here.

Seminole County, Winter Springs. Near Oviedo.

Looks like my apartment in Orlando will not regain power until Sunday around midnight.
A full week after the hurricane hit.

*sigh*

Hope my roommates will be alright.

If this thing had been a strong cat 4 when it hit pinellas we would have been devastated. There are way more trees down and power outages than the winds we got hit with justify. All those years without a hurricane had tons of weak trees living long lives here. A fairly weak cat 2 was almost enough to paralyze the county.

Power is back but no internet. Parents workplace needs to have a tree cut and the meter repaired so rip. Also going back to work today lol.

Thankfully only 5 hours.

Oni Jazar

This Key West report is terrifying.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/343868736072640/permalink/445354189257427/

DON'T COME HOME TO KEY WEST UNLESS YOU BRING SUPPLIES!!!!!!!!!
Generators
Plenty of gas
Water
Weapons!!
It is miserable.
By the time they let you back in it will be much better, but I can tell you this. I learned how to load a gun fast this week. Looters every night in a town that is pitch black. We have had some drama in our neighborhood. I will be able to write a book after this. That first night we slept in shifts & had to protect our neighbors houses. I wish I were exaggerating. We were in the street with bats & guns. Last night someone was rumbling around the guy on the corners house too. Looting is really bad on Big Coppitt too I hear.
Tonight, the army is flying in. Their big planes are flying over our house right now. The police are back and patrolling. There is life again. But it was a hairy 3 days. I do know what the end of the world feels like now.
We did not have any information from the outside world so we could not believe our cell phones came back on an hour ago.
The first day on the way home from the shelter we had to abandon our vehicles & run through knee deep storm surge during hurricane force winds to get to our house because there was no way to get to our neighborhood. We had a 2 inch storm surge inside our house and tornado damage, missing fences, trees all down, something impaled our utility trailer, but we were prepared to have nothing left so we were so excited to have a house. For this we feel so blessed! All I wanted was my photos. When I saw the surge was only knee deep I was excited. If you have lost everything you are extremely excited for things like this.
But please pray for the Lower Keys. There are entire neighborhoods missing on Ramrod & Cudjoe. They just started looking for bodies up there. There are already a dozen who have died in this storm here.
I try not to say anything that is a rumor. Anything I say came from a deputy's mouth directly to my ears. Where would we have been without the help of our neighbor deputy who was on duty, but checked on us anyways. There will be so many recommendations from me.
Tornados hit random areas in Key West so some people have had a different experience than others. Our side had a storm surge. But we were prepared to have no house at all so we are grateful.
But the aftermath has been very hard. I learned a lot this week.
Not sure when anyone is allowed back, but if you come back, COME PREPARED. Today they passed out two bottles of water per person. But there has been nothing at all. And there has been no gas. I waited for 4 and a half hours today for gas and they found out there was water in it. Everyone was freaking out because generators need gas.
But the best moment for me was seeing my house still standing & then Shannon walking into my house the next day. She had been unaccounted for up on Cudjoe. We love her so much! I cried when I saw her walk into my house & that she was alive.
Overwhelmed to have contact with my family and outside world again. I don't ever want to hear anyone complain about our love of communication again. Going off the grid is over rated. It's only good when you have a choice.
This past three days was Martial Law. Too much like a video game and Walking Dead. Someday it will be an exciting memory, but way too stressful at the time.
I sit in my yard now so filthy and sweating to death, but so excited to see those blue lights racing up and down our street. Law is back!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need them! You will be deleted if you ever run down our law or military again! They are necessary!
Man does not make good decisions without a structure.
As far as houses go. There has not been gas so I have not been able to go up the Keys to check Holly's house. I have checked everyone else's house that I know. I can tell you specifics in text. Nobody lost their house in my immediate friend group. Nobody had a storm surge inside their house except for us that I know of. If I had a key I checked your houses.
Just do not come back today because it is not comfortable. It is filthy. And you will need supplies to make it bearable. The rotting meat in everyone's freezers is a problem, but without water I cannot go clean up stuff. But if you ask me to do something specific I will.
I would still stay for any hurricane. But I will always stay in a Cat 5 dwelling from now on after this.
My thanks to people who band together. El Mocho gave us some meat last night & we cooked it & kinda had a little front hard survival barbecue. Lots of stories. I learned just how much we actually will defend our neighbors.

Yup Seminole as well with a prediction of "Sunday by midnight". Going to go nuts if it takes that long. it's miserable in this heat with no ac and bad cell reception and data speed.

SleepehSheep

Neo Member
Well my boss told me to leave Florida and head home in the morning. Apparently there are hundreds of utility vehicles just parked and waiting for a call out. So I drove hundreds of miles for nothing. Yay.

Mazre

West Melbourne checking in, house looks like it came through ok. Have power/water/internet. Biggest loss was a small tree in front of my house. Very thankful and hope my fellow Floridians have power again sooner rather than later.

Lots of vegetation debris still on the streets and a lot of down fences but area in general seems in decent shape.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Hey powerless neighbor :/

For reference I live at the Madison Riverwalk complex on Red Bug Lake Road.

Literally every establishment and plaza around us has power, except us.

Losing my goddamn mind.

Meohsix

Daytona area here, lost power for a total of 10 minutes during the worst of it early Monday morning 3am-ish. Had no TV/internet/phone for most of Monday but it all came back on around 7pm that night. A little shrub out front got wrecked and that's about it. Got hella lucky. My family in ormond hasn't had power since Sunday night and their backyard looks like a jungle with all the trees down and two sections of fence are completely missing lol. It's like two different worlds in a short 15 minute drive.

Top Bottom