• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Follow-up: Amber Guyger found guilty!

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
I honestly thought she'd get off. We all know cops like to protect each other (not all but too many) when one commits a crime ... Even shooting dead an unarmed person who is far from them (or even maiming them like in that Florida caretaker case)... The courts even more so... So this was a pleasant surprise! When everyone is saying "this doesn't add up" yet the police are saying the opposite... It FINALLY Dawn's on them that ... Whelp... She's guilty!

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
It’s not a surprise. She admitted to killing the guy. Her only defense was she was tired.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
So in the end she really did go on the wrong floor and killed the guy because she thought she was in her apartment?

No they were lovers or in an argument or anything?

What an idiot. A man losses his life sitting in his home because some dope goes into the wrong apartment. The fact that she was a cop should of at least had her rely on same training to do something before shooting him.

CDiggity

Jan 3, 2014
Prosecutor did his job perfectly as he basically got her to admit on the stand that she ignored proper procedure and also that she went in with the intent of shooting whoever was inside.

zeorhymer

Gold Member
Nov 9, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Even after all the shit that the defense were doing to stall or create a mistrial, I'm glad that justice at least worked for a little bit.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
I bet if this was the UK she would of got off with a slap on the wrist because she already suffered enough.

Oct 2, 2017
Prosecutor did his job perfectly as he basically got her to admit on the stand that she ignored proper procedure and also that she went in with the intent of shooting whoever was inside.
Wow, can't believe her defense team allowed her to take the stand.

finowns

May 10, 2009
Such a crazy story. No matter what the responsibility is on her when she entered someone else's home with a gun. Even if her side of the story is 100% true, and I have empathy for her if it is, it doesn't mitigate what happened.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
Wow. I can't believe it. A cop actually got busted, found guilty, and it didn't take 8 years for the case to be resolved.

Can't wait for details. There is no way this chick was groggy and accidentally went to another unit shooting a would-be robber.

She's either a KKK racist who hates Black people so much, she stone cold shot him, or they had sex and he tried to break up and she got mad and blasted him.

I'm hoping the truth actually comes out at some point because there is no way I believe her BS response.

Last edited:

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
I didn't think she'd be charged with murder honestly. Manslaughter or negligent homicide maybe.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
Wow. I can't believe it. A cop actually got busted, found guilty, and it didn't take 8 years for the case to be resolved.

Can't wait for details. There is no way this chick was groggy and accidentally went to another unit shooting a would-be robber.

She's either a KKK racist who hates Black people so much, she stone cold shot him, or they had sex and he tried to break up and she got mad and blasted him.

I'm hoping the truth actually comes out at some point because there is no way I believe her BS response.
I really doubt there's more to the story (how it happened). Honestly, I think the police department would have welcomed a prosecution over a lover's spat turned deadly. They trusted her with a gun and badge after all, and clearly that was a colossal mess up IMO.

monegames

Sep 26, 2014
I didn't think she'd be charged with murder honestly. Manslaughter or negligent homicide maybe.
She did, by her own admission, break into his house and shoot him. The B&E alone open up felony murder,even if it wasn't her that pulled the trigger, but again she admited it.

Mar 27, 2008
Buffalo
goo.gl
The castle doctrine angle is absolutely hilarious here. I haven't followed the case much but I am utterly shocked by that.

Barring some sort of psychotic episode, or a drug bender of the highest order, what idiot would not realize they weren't in their own home?!

Reactions: NickFire

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
She did, by her own admission, break into his house and shoot him. The B&E alone open up felony murder,even if it wasn't her that pulled the trigger, but again she admited it.
I would also assume reckless conduct supports some theory of murder. And to break into someone else's house, and shoot them in their own home, is reckless IMO no matter how you slice it. I give police officers a wide benefit of the doubt until the facts are unearthed, but this was straight up murder IMO. This was not negligence. This was not a bad judgment call at a violent crime scene. This was a guy living his life because some clown broke into his home and started shooting.

The castle doctrine angle is absolutely hilarious here. I haven't followed the case much but I am utterly shocked by that.

Barring some sort of psychotic episode, or a drug bender of the highest order, what idiot would not realize they weren't in their own home?!
I feel exactly the same, but I don't blame the judge for allowing them to argue it. I think that was actually a really good call, because it cuts out a potential appellate argument that could have resulted in a new trial if the appeal's court agreed she should have been allowed to proceed with it regardless of how dumb it sounded.

Last edited:

TheSadRanger

Sep 5, 2013
Mckinney,TX
I would also assume reckless conduct supports some theory of murder. And to break into someone else's house, and shoot them in their own home, is reckless IMO no matter how you slice it. I give police officers a wide benefit of the doubt until the facts are unearthed, but this was straight up murder IMO. This was not negligence. This was not a bad judgment call at a violent crime scene. This was a guy living his life because some clown broke into his home and started shooting.

I feel exactly the same, but I don't blame the judge for allowing them to argue it. I think that was actually a really good call, because it cuts out a potential appellate argument that could have resulted in a new trial if the appeal's court agreed she should have been allowed to proceed with it regardless of how dumb it sounded.
The dude left his door unlocked. It's not like she kicked his door down.

Jurors were given the choice of manslaughter as a verdict but she threw that out window when she testified on her own behalf. She forced jurors to pick guilty or not guilty solely on the murder charge when she admitted to shooting with the intent to kill.

Plus ballistics showed he was crouched when he was shot indicating that he was in a position of surrender.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
The dude left his door unlocked. It's not like she kicked his door down.
I'm pretty sure that the breaking part is satisfied just by opening a shut door. Sliding open a screen also counts I believe. Basically, any force to a barrier that opens it.

TheSadRanger

Sep 5, 2013
Mckinney,TX
I'm pretty sure that the breaking part is satisfied just by opening a shut door. Sliding open a screen also counts I believe. Basically, any force to a barrier that opens it.
I don't think that's how it works with forcible entry, for forcible entry there has to be intent and clear physical force used to gain entry like breaking a window or door. Merely opening a unlocked door is not forcible entry if there is no intent to break into a house. People walking into someone else's apartment accidentally is very common and happens way more often than you think. The defense even brought this up.

However that's not what she was charged with, the charge was murder based on her actions on shooting him after it appears he was in a state of surrender by being shot while crouched. It's also based upon her lack to render aid after he was shot. Therefore declaring intent that she intended him to die.

I still think she's likely to be granted an appeal and this whole thing will start over again. Especially after the D.A bungled up and gave a tv interview during a gag order, the judge was pissed as shit an elected official would do that. I think they should have changed venues so there wouldn't be a legal argument that she wouldn't get a fair trial in Dallas with the case being so highly publicized. This should have been neat and clean but there was some clear political showboating going on.

Chunk Loves Sloth

Formerly 'JareBear'
Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
This is a really fascinating case. I followed the story pretty closely in the beginning.

My personal opinion:

It’s really hard for me to buy mistaking the wrong apartment. I’ve seen the complex, I understand they all look the same (from the outside) but still. In my brief college year (and a half) and early 20s I would never have a problem finding my place despite being in very “compromised” state of mind (high, drunk, exhausted, horny, all of the above).

Just because it’s never happened to me doesn’t mean it can’t happen to anyone, don’t get me wrong, but that just seems like such s colossal fuckup/brain fart, especially when seeing the interiors set up/furnished very differently (her apartment vs his). That her brain didn’t register “oh shit this looks different” and instead only flipped to “pull gun and pull trigger, ask questions later” shows a clear lack of....something, something that should probably be a prerequisite for anyone empowered to make life and death decisions.

On the flip side, it’s hard for me to imagine she set out that night to kill a man in cold blood for no apparent reason.

So she’s probably a world class dumbass. She probably never should have been a cop. Whether she killed a man on purpose or killed a man due to mistake, she killed an innocent man. I just don’t believe you can, in any way, justify barging into someone else’s home and murdering them, as they were on a couch eating ice cream, lawfully. That’s why I don’t get why she wasn’t arrested that night. She clearly committed a crime, regardless of intent.

She was always guilty of something, in my eyes, it just was a matter of what. The sentencing will be interesting. Will she get what basically amounts to a life sentence? From what I understand there can be quite a range (5-99 years is what I read).

Also, her behavior after the shooting seems pretty damning. She was more concerned with losing her job than saving the life she just endangered (and ultimately ended). Again, this chick doesn’t seem to be playing with a full deck.

Sorry for typos, posting this from my phone.

The whole thing is just bizarre and very sad. Terrible and unwarranted loss of life. I still don’t understand the door situation. Was it unlocked? Did she break the door in?

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018
Probably gets of lighter because she admitted towards it?

Anyway, she got the IQ of a idiot i guess.

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
Interesting that they got a murder charge.

I cannot find the degree only "murder".

I wonder what will happen upon appeal as in this case, murder is extremely difficult to prove. This is not your usual police involved shooting but a case of mistaken identity. (Mistaken domicile?)Don't get me wrong, she was wrong, and an idiot of the highest degree but proving premeditation is unbelievable to me.

I expected manslaughter when reading about the case, as it's clear cut here.

It had to of been argued that;

"behaves in a way that shows extreme, reckless disregard for life and results in the victim's death."

Even then going for murder in a case like this was extremely risky, and could have ended horribly for the victims family.

Watch out for the appeal in this case.

monegames

Sep 26, 2014
Interesting that they got a murder charge.

I cannot find the degree only "murder".

I wonder what will happen upon appeal as in this case, murder is extremely difficult to prove. This is not your usual police involved shooting but a case of mistaken identity. (Mistaken domicile?)Don't get me wrong, she was wrong, and an idiot of the highest degree but proving premeditation is unbelievable to me.

I expected manslaughter when reading about the case, as it's clear cut here.

It had to of been argued that;

"behaves in a way that shows extreme, reckless disregard for life and results in the victim's death."

Even then going for murder in a case like this was extremely risky, and could have ended horribly for the victims family.

Watch out for the appeal in this case.
I think the jury went with murder because the prosecutor got her to say she went in shooting to kill. That is premeditation.

Reactions: Chunk Loves Sloth

Mohonky

Jan 19, 2007

Well I mean, how well can you spin walked into neighbours and straight up shot them to death.

Seems kind of straight forward

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013
It's like the Jussie story, it made no sense from the get go and neither did hers; she got what she deserved.

Glad to see the courts got it right this time. Hopefully the sentence will also be appropriate to the crime.
They get it right most of the time in the US, but your biases may obfuscate that fact.

Ixiah

Feb 16, 2018
So, is this empowering Wahmen because she killed a Man, or will they condem the idiot for commiting the biggest Sin of all: Own a Gun ?

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Well I mean, how well can you spin walked into neighbours and straight up shot them to death.

It is about state of mind. She thought she was defending her home. She gets the murder conviction because he'd surrendered and she still shot him and then left him there to die.

She's either a basket case or was high as fuck, or both. Either way, not somebody who should be walking around with a gun.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
It's like the Jussie story, it made no sense from the get go and neither did hers; she got what she deserved.

They get it right most of the time in the US, but your biases may obfuscate that fact.
They didn't get it right in this instance (edit: meaning the link below) People in juries seem to just automatically accept cops do the right thing all the time (TV has conditioned us to believe this)... So when a case like Guyger's and Aleddo's come up, people still defer to the cop.

It was a surprise to me (and many others) because I thought she'd be found not guilty or that it'd end in a mistrial like it did for so many others.

Even now there's at least 2 FB pages saying Guyger is innocent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chunk Loves Sloth

Chunk Loves Sloth

Formerly 'JareBear'
Nov 5, 2016

Her “when MLK is dead... oh wait...” text, I don’t get it. What’s the joke supposed to be?

Also, maybe it’s time law enforcement agencies put out a strict social media policy regarding posting joke memes such as “No one thanks me for having the patience not to shoot them,” or “I’m dressed in black so I’m ready for your funeral.” Definitely not a good look for a cop.

Chunk Loves Sloth

Formerly 'JareBear'
Nov 5, 2016
It is about state of mind. She thought she was defending her home. She gets the murder conviction because he'd surrendered and she still shot him and then left him there to die.

She's either a basket case or was high as fuck, or both. Either way, not somebody who should be walking around with a gun.
Still hard for me to buy the “state of mind” argument. Even if she really believed that, bottom line is she was wrong and murdered someone. Like I said a few posts up, to me she was clearly guilty of a crime from the beginning. I didn’t know if they would classify it as murder or manslaughter but even if she had tried to render aid she still was guilty of shooting an innocent man, period.

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com

Her “when MLK is dead... oh wait...” text, I don’t get it. What’s the joke supposed to be?

Also, maybe it’s time law enforcement agencies put out a strict social media policy regarding posting joke memes such as “No one thanks me for having the patience not to shoot them,” or “I’m dressed in black so I’m ready for your funeral.” Definitely not a good look for a cop.
The joke was that she was on detail at a MLK parade... She was like "when will this end? Oh wait... When MLK is dead"

If not racist then definitely diet racist.

Oct 26, 2018

I believe the spin they did was she was coming off a long shift, dead tired, all the units look alike, and when she got in the place was so dark all she saw was a shadowy guy.

When was the last time heard someone trying to pull off that excuse?

Funny thing is I lived in condo one time and I accidentally got off the wrong floor too. My key obviously didn't work. But let's say I did get in because the door was open.

It's pretty obvious it's not my place even just see the first 5 ft of the lobby. And even if it was pitch black and there was some guy in the background, why would I just grab a gun and blast the guy? It's not like it was a violent scene where he came charging. Fuck, flip the light switch right at the door..... and voila! Wrong home. Oops.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
Absolutely embarassing sentence. Walked into another person residence and shoot them to death. Convicted of Murder, but can be back on the street in 5 or 6 years.

The American "Justice" system is a god damn joke.

Last edited:

gunslikewhoa

Mar 3, 2014