• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Follow-up: Amber Guyger found guilty!

Chunk Loves Sloth

Formerly 'JareBear'
Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
Fascinating.

I didn’t think she’d get a max sentence,
I was gonna guess somewhere between 20-25 years.

I’m somewhat conflicted. I can’t help but agree with the tweets of “imagine the roles reversed.” I think Botham Jean would have gotten a lot more than years for mistakingly murdering Amber Guyger.

I could definitely see her making parole after 5 years.

I don’t want to come off as bloodthirsty. It is what it is. I can believe she didn’t kill with malice and hatred that night, that it was a mistake, but damn what a costly one.

Pretty beautiful showing by the brother to embrace and forgive her.

Oct 26, 2018
Fascinating.

I didn’t think she’d get a max sentence,
I was gonna guess somewhere between 20-25 years.

I’m somewhat conflicted. I can’t help but agree with the tweets of “imagine the roles reversed.” I think Botham Jean would have gotten a lot more than years for mistakingly murdering Amber Guyger.

I could definitely see her making parole after 5 years.

I don’t want to come off as bloodthirsty. It is what it is. I can believe she didn’t kill with malice and hatred that night, that it was a mistake, but damn what a costly one.

Pretty beautiful showing by the brother to embrace and forgive her.
That's the old cop leniency bit.

Normal guy shoots someone in a stupid event, guy gets grilled.

Cop shoots someone in a stupid event, cop gets lighter penalty. And in this case, it wasn't even one of those "it was an emergency and as a cop I was scared the drug dealer was going to shoot back, so I shot first". It was off duty and not a crime scene.

I'm actually surprised this case resolved this fast and she got 10 years.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013
They weren't going to get life unless it was capital murder. Texas only has first degree murder and capital murder. Capital is mandatory life or death and FDM can be anywhere from 5 years to 99. This tells me the judge and jury thought she was not only remorseful, but believed somewhat that the murder was unintentional. Whether that is right or not who knows, but for only 10 years, that's what they believe. If they believe this was a plot to murder a neighbor or lover and claim accident/ignorance she would have gotten a much larger sentence.

She will be eligible for parole I believe after 5 years.

Last edited:

finowns

May 10, 2009
The hug from the judge is very strange.
That's the brother I believe. And I wouldn't hug the person that killed my sibling.

edit - wait did the judge hug her? I'm watching the above video and the judge is crying.
edit2 - holy crap the judge did hug her.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
The hug from the judge is very strange.
What happened is instead of this case being a dumb cop killing an innocent guy in a nearby apartment unit, everyone turned this into a white vs black thing, and by the looks of it white girl and black judge and family are trying to hug each other like it's some racially motivated repent.

Personally, I still think it's a lover's quarrel thing she is keeping secret. But looks like well never know.

Oct 26, 2018
And this is why police reform will never happen ... Because so many will make excuses for them. These people want her back on the street?!

And 10 years?! Out in 5?! I'm with StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige ... There was more to this.
I might lean right for many things, but never liked how cops always stick together and get lenient rulings.

If the entire policing industry was more responsible, and didn't turn a blind eye when shit goes down, the general public would have a better view of them.

When junky cop interactions are caught on camera and you got 3 other cops standing there twiddling their thumbs while Rambo cop goes nuts, it paints an awful picture of police buddies all loving it.

And it never seems to change. You'd think with everyone doing YT uploads, there would a big change in attitude, but it's like nothing has changed.

I'd like anyone to find one video of a bad cop going nuts and fellow cops pounce in because he's going too far.

In other industries, if shit goes down, people employees can call them out. If a burger maker spits in burgers and is caught, fellow coworkers will complain and you won't see one manager supporting it. The guy will be fired. You get whistleblowers in other industries too.

In policing you never seem to get this shit where one police chief or cops come out and say they support the public for a rogue cop being an ass.

Mohonky

Jan 19, 2007
And this is why police reform will never happen ... Because so many will make excuses for them. These people want her back on the street?!

And 10 years?! Out in 5?! I'm with StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige ... There was more to this.
Justice? What justice? She fucking murdered a guy for no reason and got a lenient ass sentence.

If she were a guy, she'd have probably gotten more. 10yrs is a joke, a guy lost his life; its a life sentence for him and every friend and family member.

Corrik

Jan 20, 2018
Pittsburgh
This is a really fascinating case. I followed the story pretty closely in the beginning.

My personal opinion:

It’s really hard for me to buy mistaking the wrong apartment. I’ve seen the complex, I understand they all look the same (from the outside) but still. In my brief college year (and a half) and early 20s I would never have a problem finding my place despite being in very “compromised” state of mind (high, drunk, exhausted, horny, all of the above).

Just because it’s never happened to me doesn’t mean it can’t happen to anyone, don’t get me wrong, but that just seems like such s colossal fuckup/brain fart, especially when seeing the interiors set up/furnished very differently (her apartment vs his). That her brain didn’t register “oh shit this looks different” and instead only flipped to “pull gun and pull trigger, ask questions later” shows a clear lack of....something, something that should probably be a prerequisite for anyone empowered to make life and death decisions.

On the flip side, it’s hard for me to imagine she set out that night to kill a man in cold blood for no apparent reason.

So she’s probably a world class dumbass. She probably never should have been a cop. Whether she killed a man on purpose or killed a man due to mistake, she killed an innocent man. I just don’t believe you can, in any way, justify barging into someone else’s home and murdering them, as they were on a couch eating ice cream, lawfully. That’s why I don’t get why she wasn’t arrested that night. She clearly committed a crime, regardless of intent.

She was always guilty of something, in my eyes, it just was a matter of what. The sentencing will be interesting. Will she get what basically amounts to a life sentence? From what I understand there can be quite a range (5-99 years is what I read).

Also, her behavior after the shooting seems pretty damning. She was more concerned with losing her job than saving the life she just endangered (and ultimately ended). Again, this chick doesn’t seem to be playing with a full deck.

Sorry for typos, posting this from my phone.

The whole thing is just bizarre and very sad. Terrible and unwarranted loss of life. I still don’t understand the door situation. Was it unlocked? Did she break the door in?
I believe it was straight up an accident that happened because she was tired after work and distracted by texting her partner.

That said, as you said, yes she was guilty of something. And, that is why the case was interesting.

Was she just reckless? She should have realized her surroundings and noticed she wasn't in her home? Then it is manslaughter.

However, she is trained to kill and used that training to kill the man. So you could argue the killing was intentional also. She did shoot the man with the intention to kill and didn't have a reasonable reason to do so besides her own incorrect thoughts of being home.

Almost all evidence points to it being an accident. The question is was it the killing intentional or just reckless?

Was it due to intent or due to being negligent or unobservant. You could argue either.

That is why when the murder came back guilty, it was pretty much assured the sentencing would be light. Because it is so iffy whether or not that should have actually been manslaughter instead.

Corrik

Jan 20, 2018
Pittsburgh
I'm pretty sure that the breaking part is satisfied just by opening a shut door. Sliding open a screen also counts I believe. Basically, any force to a barrier that opens it.
The door wasn't closed. It was ajar. Please learn the details of the case before posting erroneous hot takes.

Last edited:

Corrik

Jan 20, 2018
Pittsburgh
Interesting that they got a murder charge.

I cannot find the degree only "murder".

Texas does not have degrees of murder. They have Capital Murder, Murder, and Manslaughter.

Capital Murder is for egregious murders. Murder for intentional killing. Manslaughter for recklessly causing a death.

CNN did erroneously report it was first degree murder at one point though, but it was not.

Reactions: KINGMOKU

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
Justice? What justice? She fucking murdered a guy for no reason and got a lenient ass sentence.

If she were a guy, she'd have probably gotten more. 10yrs is a joke, a guy lost his life; its a life sentence for him and every friend and family member.
It's almost like they believe Botham was guilty of SOMETHING and Guyger did everyone a favor by killing him IN HIS OWN HOME! Cops are angels, didn't ya know?

• Triggered
Reactions: DeepEnigma

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
An attempt to screw some #metoo (someone texted something sexually explicit to her) is second only to mind boggling reaction of the victim's brother...

I don't believe this story.

No they were lovers or in an argument or anything?
Prosecutors didn't take the "I've mistaken the floor" as real.

switchback27

Jul 26, 2018
Fascinating. I thought I followed the news relatively well, but I did not know of this case until seeing this post today--in my defense, I don't live in America and am not an American.

This case seems so simple, open-and-shut that it feels surreal.

She was a fucking cop. A cop's first instinct should not be to reach for the gun, it should be to identify and defuse the situation (nevermind the fact that this "situation" seems self-caused by extreme stupidity).

And 10 years is, frankly speaking, unbelievable. You walk into another person's home, shoot the guy dead, no intoxication, and you get 10 years? Give me a fucking break.

Looking at it as someone who did not know of the details of the case until about 30 minutes ago, I'm left wondering "is there something else that's not been made public"? Because otherwise, it seems like such an open-and-shut case which ended tragically for one man and was bungled all over the place.

Oct 26, 2018
Fascinating. I thought I followed the news relatively well, but I did not know of this case until seeing this post today--in my defense, I don't live in America and am not an American.

This case seems so simple, open-and-shut that it feels surreal.

She was a fucking cop. A cop's first instinct should not be to reach for the gun, it should be to identify and defuse the situation (nevermind the fact that this "situation" seems self-caused by extreme stupidity).

And 10 years is, frankly speaking, unbelievable. You walk into another person's home, shoot the guy dead, no intoxication, and you get 10 years? Give me a fucking break.

Looking at it as someone who did not know of the details of the case until about 30 minutes ago, I'm left wondering "is there something else that's not been made public"? Because otherwise, it seems like such an open-and-shut case which ended tragically for one man and was bungled all over the place.
I think just about everyone thinks the 10 years is low.

But then again, it's a cop getting prosecuted. Take a penalty for a non-cop and chop it down about 70% and there's your cop sentence.

Reactions: DeafTourette

monegames

Sep 26, 2014
God now I have people in my feeds comparing this to the guy that got 45 years for multiple robberies and killing a police dog.

Oct 26, 2018

Joshua Brown, key witness in Amber Guyger murder trial and neighbor of Botham Jean, shot to death in Dallas
By Amir Vera, Hollie Silverman and Ashley Killough, CNN

Updated 8:49 PM ET, Sat October 5, 2019

A man who was a key witness in the murder trial of former Dallas police officer Amber Guyger was fatally shot Friday in the parking lot of his apartment complex, according to attorney Lee Merritt.

Joshua Brown was a neighbor of shooting victim Botham Jean, who was sitting in his apartment in September 2018 when Guyger walked inside and shot him to death. Brown says he lived directly across the hall from Jean.

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com

Joshua Brown, key witness in Amber Guyger murder trial and neighbor of Botham Jean, shot to death in Dallas
By Amir Vera, Hollie Silverman and Ashley Killough, CNN

Updated 8:49 PM ET, Sat October 5, 2019

A man who was a key witness in the murder trial of former Dallas police officer Amber Guyger was fatally shot Friday in the parking lot of his apartment complex, according to attorney Lee Merritt.

Joshua Brown was a neighbor of shooting victim Botham Jean, who was sitting in his apartment in September 2018 when Guyger walked inside and shot him to death. Brown says he lived directly across the hall from Jean.

I was going to post this but forgot to.

Is this retaliation? It just seems VERY suspect.

SLoWMoTIoN

Milk Connoisseur
Feb 2, 2018
The fact she didn't get life proves how women can get away with more shit than a man.

If some bitch shot me dead and my brother does this I'm coming back from hell to haunt him.

monegames

Sep 26, 2014
Exactly what I meant! They SERIOUSLY don't care! They know it'll be swept under the rug! Straight up murder .. they don't see citizens as human!
Might wanna hold off a bit. We don't know anything about it. Weird timing,I'll give you that, but why kill him? Her own testimony is what convicted her.

Reactions: Shaqazooloo

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
Might wanna hold off a bit. We don't know anything about it. Weird timing,I'll give you that, but why kill him? Her own testimony is what convicted her.
Watch this get swept under the rug and forgotten about in a couple days. This isn't even BIG news ... MSM isn't reporting this 24/7 like all the cases. I read somewhere that he was shot in the mouth and chest. That sounds personal!

• Love
Reactions: Tesseract

monegames

Sep 26, 2014
Watch this get swept under the rug and forgotten about in a couple days. This isn't even BIG news ... MSM isn't reporting this 24/7 like all the cases. I read somewhere that he was shot in the mouth and chest. That sounds personal!
The mouth and chest stuff came from the Jean family's lawyer. A judge refuted it though, but did confirm multiple gsws. It is odd it isn't getting more play, but you can guarantee if any evidence of cop involvement they will be all over it.

Corrik

Jan 20, 2018
Pittsburgh
There is precedent for the case to be ruled a manslaughter and not even a murder.

Curtis Fry was not a cop. He entered a home while blacked out mistakenly. Beat and murdered the home owner who was an elderly man who tried to wake him up.

Murder dismissed. Voluntary manslaughter given. Served less than 5 years despite pleading not guilty and losing the case.

The precedent exists, and it doesn't pertain to her only being a cop.

It is not hard to see the comparison to someone working a double and being on little mistake making a mistake and someone black out drunk making a mistake. While being blacked out is a bigger impairment, it was also an impairment done with your own choice involved. Being forced into a double isn't and the impairment can be significant, as someone who works doubles frequently.

The judge and jury seemed to believe this was an accident and she was treated accordingly. I am more shocked it wasn't manslaughter than a longer sentence, tbqh.

Last edited:

switchback27

Jul 26, 2018
There is precedent for the case to be ruled a manslaughter and not even a murder.

Curtis Fry was not a cop. He entered a home while blacked out mistakenly. Beat and murdered the home owner who was an elderly man who tried to wake him up.

Murder dismissed. Voluntary manslaughter given. Served less than 5 years despite pleading not guilty and losing the case.

It is not hard to see the comparison to someone working a double and being on little mistake making a mistake and someone black out drunk making a mistake. While being blacked out is a bigger impairment, it was also an impairment done with your own choice involved. Being forced into a double isn't and the impairment can be significant, as someone who works doubles frequently.

The judge and jury seemed to believe this was an accident and she was treated accordingly. I am more shocked it wasn't manslaughter than a longer sentence, tbqh.
That's even more depressing. I understand that a longer sentence is no justice to the victim, but still......

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com

She ignored protocol, intended to kill him (her own admission), didn't render aid after she realized her mistake OR because that was SOP ... And you think manslaughter was more appropriate? I can see impairment but every action she took was deliberate.

No, murder was the correct charge.

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
So Joshua Brown was expected to testify in lawsuit against Guyger?

Yeah... They wanted to shut him up!

People won't buy into Epstein being silenced, but will buy into this? :pie_thinking:

Reactions: Tesseract