• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Follow up (Clover Dissolution) -- Shinji Mikami stays, Inaba and Hideki Kamiya leave.

There is a thread concerning Clover's break-up, however I think (maybe more importantly) that the news nextgen biz posted up regarding Clover's three most prominent employees is more telling and deserves it's own thread.

Shinji Mikami (RE1,PN03,RE4,God Hand) will stay with Capcom...while that's cool and all the real sad news comes from the fact that Capcom's greatest developer Hideki Kamiya is leaving Capcom and not working with the company in any way, shape or form. He and Inaba want to leave Capcom and "find new challenges in new areas" as they put it.

Hideki Kamiya has created only 4 games in his career, but what 4 games they were. (Resident Evil 2 '98', Devil May Cry '01', Viewtiful Joe '02' and Okami '06' -- all of which have a 92%+ at gamerankings. He probably has the highest gameranking average for all the games he's created right there with Hideo Kojima. In fact, some would say given Kamiya's more diverse creation list he's even 1up-ed the MGS - exclusive designer.

For shame Capcom, the guy created your best games. You should have added an extra zero on that contract if need be. I can agree Mikami has made some great RE games, but his new IP's don't hold up so well. And considering Mikami seems to no longer have an interest in RE titles, it seems his future contribution to Capcom is up in the air. Kamiya on the other hand was creating genre defining million sellers. (global sellers to boot), the guy has no black sheep, no failure, no weak or underwheling game, he's 4 for 4, he's like the perfect game creating machine.

The source material:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3994&Itemid=2

Q: Can you explain briefly why Clover Studio has been decided to be dissolved?

A: Clover Studio (CS) was established in July 2004 by Capcom in order to create new types of titles. Then, the titles such as Viewtiful Joe, Okami and God Hand were produced. At the same time, R&D at Capcom also produced some new types of titles such as Dead Rising and Lost Planet and they were regarded highly at game shows such as E3. Reviewing the existing R&D organization, we have reached the conclusion that we should be centralizing all the resources rather than running two companies. Therefore, disbandment of CS was decided.

Q: We’ve heard that the famous creators such as [Resident Evil creator] Mr. [Shinji] Mikami, [Okami producer] Mr. [Atsushi] Inaba and [Devil May Cry director] Mr. [Hideki] Kamiya have quit, is this true? Why didn’t they come back to Capcom?

A: Mr. Mikami had already left Capcom in November 2005 but signed on a separate contract with us. Mr. Inaba and Mr. Kamiya have also left Capcom in June and July of this year respectively. Naturally, we had hoped that Mr. Inaba and Mr. Kamiya to come back to us, however, both of them told us that they wanted a new challenge at a new environment. As far as Capcom’s concerned, now all the resources should be used more effectively and more efficiently since they are centralized.

Q: Apparently, CS had 64 staff at the setup of the company, what happened to those people?

A: Actually, only 15 staff [members were] still left in the company at the time of 12th October. They will be transferred to R&D at Capcom although we haven’t negotiated with them individually yet. However, we will have to examine what sort of organization is required for creating more new titles first.

Q: Will copyright of the titles that were produced by CS be transferred to Capcom?

A: Yes, all copyrights of the CS titles will be transferred back to Capcom as a process of disbandment of the company.

Q: Can you tell us more about Mr. Inaba and Mr. Kamiya? We’ve heard that they are setting up a new company.

A: Since they are not our employees any longer, we can’t answer this question.

Q: Don’t you think of Mr. Mikami’s departure as a huge loss? Who’s going to produce Resident Evil series from now on?

A: We have a signed contract with Mr. Mikami separately. In any case, we have many creators that have worked on Resident Evil series titles and have enough knowledge of the series. Mr. Mikami will also work in our R&D. By the way, Mr. Takeuchi is producing Resident Evil 5 (he’s worked on the original Resident Evil).

EDIT:

Hmmm...

It seems Kamiya is sleeping with both sides...

10003434432.jpg

Kamiya (on left with shades) standing next to the guy with the suit is the CEO of Capcom, Tsujimito.

10007546432.jpg

And then we have (from left to right) Inaba, Kamiya, and Kojima.

Ruh-oh. Kojima productions ftw?

Amir0x

Banned
One of the true last defenders of real gaming everywhere. I hope whatever Kamiya does (unless it's that one thing...evil thing), he does successfully. And I hope he can still fight the good fight when he does it :(

duckroll

JoJo13 said:
So I'm guessing this means Capcom wants to make games based around western gaming now? o_O

It doesn't mean anything. It just means the two founders of Clover decided to leave Capcom and so Capcom had no choice but to wind Clover up.

cvxfreak

Capcom still has Mikami, Kobayashi and Inafune, now that Okamoto, Kamiya and Inaba have left.

I honestly don't know what to think. On one hand, I don't care for Kamiya that much (I don't think RE2 is the best RE, Onimusha > DMC, VJ gets old after awhile, haven't tried Okami), but on the other hand, Capcom's lost someone who directed the best selling RE and brought about Capcom's third most popular franchise.

I don't think Mikami would do as well in another company or on his own, either. He's a great thinker and probably Capcom's best, but there's something about Mikami and Capcom that just wouldn't seem right if they separated. There used to be conspiracy theories years back about Mikami heading to Nintendo, but I honestly don't think he's fit there.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
If Microsoft was smart, they'd start a new company with these guys. They really need to get some creative people for their 1st/2nd party titles. It would be too good an idea, so I guess it's not going to happen...

Smiles and Cries said:
does Nintendo even hire like that?

Don't underestimate the power of the Nintendo ninjas. These guys are gonna get Matsuno'ed before they even realise what happen. That's how efficient they are.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Blimblim said:
If Microsoft was smart, they'd start a new company with these guys. They really need to get some creative people for their 1st/2nd party titles. It would be too good an idea, so I guess it's not going to happen...
These people cost a lot of $$$ and there is a huge risk with no team around them.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
elostyle said:
These people cost a lot of $$$ and there is a huge risk with no team around them.
It's MS we are talking about. If they are willing to take a risk they can find the funding. It's not as easy as just taking it from somewhere inside Redmond's HQ gold reserve, but they definitely can do it if they want to.

I really want those guys starting a new company -- ground up (in similar vein as Game Republic).

Kamiya being Nintendo's lap-dog - **** that. The guy needs to do his own shit, decide what console for it to be on and so forth.

Forcing him to make games for the Wii, or for the 360, or for the PS3 isn't his style.

Hopefully he goes back to Capcom -- I have a feeling Capcom understands Inaba's and Kamiyas importance and will try a little bit more to secure them.

ziran

i'm guessing kamiya and inaba will start their own company. they must be looking at okamoto and thinking if he can make money so can they.

it doesn't make sense for them to go to another company and potentially be told what to do because they want to make the games they feel like making and they were already given this freedom (in relative terms) at capcom with clover.

i think they'll be talking to sony, ms and nintendo for potential exclusives. however i'd say they will end up choosing 360 and ps3 as their main platforms with maybe a bit to wii/ds or even ignoring nintendo totally.

Topfuel

Good for Inaba and Kamiya, if they feel it is right for them.

New people will step up at Capcom and carry the torch.

Yeah I could see MS trying to snatch him up and give his titles the push they need..but I don't think that will happen..like Blim said, thats a little too smart.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Blimblim said:

QFT..
MS should recognize the talent of these men and should try to lure them in either at MGS Japan or pull a Mistwalker on them, lettting them start a new team and start the "floodgates of funding"..

(some poster said that having these guys would cost $$$.. but apparently, money isn´t exactly a problem for MS.. IF they really want something, they can pretty much outbid everyone)..

Zen

Banned
Link

Now here is a surprise! Capcom announced that it will shut down much heralded internal developer Clover Studio. Known for Viewtiful Joe, and more recently the excellent Okami, and just released God Hand, Clover Studio will close its doors March 2007, in what Capcom calls an attempt to improve its global development structure.

Capcom Co., Ltd., hereby announces that a resolution was passed at the Board of Directors’ meeting held on October 12, 2006 that Clover Studio Co., Ltd., one of consolidated subsidiaries, is to be dissolved.

Clover Studio Co., Ltd. has met the goal of developing unique and creative original home video game software, however, in view of promoting a business strategy that concentrates management resources on a selected business to enhance the efficiency of the development power of the entire Capcom group, the dissolution of Clover Studio Co., Ltd. has been raised and passed at a Board of Directors' meeting.

The impact of the dissolution of Clover Studio Co., Ltd. on the financial forecasts, separately announced on the same day, is inclusive as part of Extraordinary Losses amounting to 400 million yen.

Clover Studio Co., Ltd is scheduled to shut down end of March, 2007.

So it was Capcom who put Clover on the choping block, not Inaba and Kamiya.

Blimblim said:
Dunno. I'd say it's a pretty good chance that MS has them now. I mean, "new challenges" and "new areas"? Could be under Ninty's wing, too. Ho ho ho. In any case, it'd be nice to see Kamiya stay in the industry doing stuff instead of leaving it.

Zen said:
Link

We know, that was the original announcement. The point is that people are speculating that the reason Capcom may have done so is because Inaba and Kamiya decided to leave.

sangreal

Zen said:
Link

Um, did you read the first post? Your press release is from Yesterday. Inaba and Kamiya left in June and July. They also said that they were down to 15 employees from the original 64. Sounds to me like Clover was gone long before they released your PR

cvxfreak said:
I don't think Mikami would do as well in another company or on his own, either. He's a great thinker and probably Capcom's best, but there's something about Mikami and Capcom that just wouldn't seem right if they separated. There used to be conspiracy theories years back about Mikami heading to Nintendo, but I honestly don't think he's fit there.

The problem there is that Capcom don't seem too keen to see Mikami back into a major production role (even for the series he created in RE), and they don't seem to recognize him as that "great thinker" or "Capcom's best". It looks to my highly insignificant opinion like he'll be on the way out in the future to Kamiya and Inaba when they set up their new studio, or maybe he'll just tough it out and climb back up the ladder at Capcom...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
kind of weird for Mikami to stay at capcom, I thought he was going to be the first one to bail out.

Lakitu said:
Kamiya and Inaba have interviews at Kojima Productions? hint hint

The possiblities. Their interviews were done in July also, which is when both of them were apparently gone from Caqcom.

RyuHayate

Idk...would Kamiya want to get in bed with MS? If they set up a studio for him, that'd be great, but the only one problem is that using his talent to create a game that's aimed at stimulating Japanese interest in the 360 doesn't automatically guarantee success (such as Okami's underwhelming sales over there). From my perspective, Kamiya prefers to be purely independent game developer now without the constraints of a big-time publisher.

Error2k4 said:
kind of weird for Mikami to stay at capcom, I thought he was going to be the first one to bail out.

If he did, he'd be like a lost puppy.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
people dont kid yourselves, they'll probably make a new development studio.

Error2k4 said:
people dont kid yourselves, they'll probably make a new development studio.

Funding?

Which is why they're theorizing if MSFT or Ninty would be willing to snap them up. Talent but no resources = pipe dreams.

Pureauthor said:
Funding?

Which is why they're theorizing if MSFT or Ninty would be willing to snap them up. Talent but no resources = pipe dreams.

It's not like they're going to have trouble finding funding for their games. Look at L5 or Game Republic (also formed by a former Capcom member). And by doing that they'll be able to develop for whatever system they want.

gconsole

I already put the interview in original thread but yeah, this news need its own thread anyway. Imagine Inaba and Kamiya work with Kojima Production is somewhat not fit. They should create their own studio instead. It's not different to work with another studio/company when the freedom they will be gave could be less than Clover or Capcom.

Top Bottom