• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Food |OT| GAFeteria

Welcome to the NeoGAF Cafeteria. Or as it will be known, The GAFeteria.

This is our Food OT. A place where we can talk food. Any food at all.

Food you make from scratch. Food that you bought that was already made. Food at home. Food on the go. Fancy restaurants all the way to someone "should call the Health Department" shit holes. Health food and snack cakes. Candy, Vegetables, or Ice Cream.

Anything that goes in your mouth in a non sexual way.

NeoGAF is a global community. And with members around the Globe, there are bound to be foods some eat that others don't. Foods some have never heard of. Some foods they wouldn't even consider trying if it weren't for a friend suggesting it.

The GAFeteria is a celebration of your culture, heritage, and way of life. We eat multiple times a day. And doesn't sound that interesting... until you get into a food conversation with someone that hasn't heard of an item you are raving about. Then your eyes light up and become a prophet lol.

Share your recipes
Share your experience at a restaurant
Share something you picked up at the grocery store, even if it seems meaningless.

Anything food is a welcome discussion here. We want to hear from you.

Let me start.

Today I made a Grilled Cheese Sandwich! But not just any Grilled Cheese Sandwich. This one had SOUL!

First thing you want to do is wash your hands. This is always the first step. Anytime you are about to prepare a meal of eat it.

Next you will want to get out you ingredients. For myself today I used...

Smokehouse Cheddar Cheese 4 Slices (2 for your sandwich and 2 for you to eat while you make it, we all do it)
Sourdough Bread (or whatever bread you want)
Butter
French Fried Onions
Pan and something to flip the sandwich
( I prefer a spatula)
Stove or Heat Source of your choice

Like So
4uxmwkg.jpg

Put your Pan on the Stove or above your Heat Source. Start warming your pan. I put mine on the 2 heat setting, just above simmer.

Next you will want to get your 2 slices of bread, and butter 1 side of each slice.

Once you get your pan to desired temperature, place 1 pre-buttered slice of bread in the pan. Butter side down! Then place a single slice of your desired cheese. And next a scope of French Fried Onions

Should look like this
0KWuOmZ.jpg

Next add your final slice of cheese (remember to eat the other 2 or you will have too much cheese) and add your last piece of bread... butter side up.

Cook 1 to 45 minutes per side or until golden brown on each side

Put it on a Plate!
Hx0sxGO.jpg

Dip in soup or add a little sour cream to your sandwich.

Pairs well with Iced Coffee (see above) and yacht rock music.

Eat Food and Enjoy!

Anyone else wanna talk food or am I gonna carry this OT myself

Last edited:

Bullet Club

I had a Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich for lunch from an Australian bakery chain called Banjo's. Very nice.

Great thread, Musky_Cheese.

Oh yes. Looking forward to some rad recipes.
Just remember your food post can be anything. Even about a pop tart you just ate or a wiener you are craving.

I had a Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich for lunch from an Australian bakery chain called Banjo's. Very nice.

Great thread, Musky_Cheese.
We have some good cheese steak places around me. And the closer you get to philly.

Fried onions, ketchup and mayo with cheese for me :messenger_savoring:

TrainedRage

Banned
Today I ate a bag of Doritos, pickles, teriyaki beef stick, sunflower seeds and some juice. I may be dying.

Edit: oh and 3 pints of IPA and weed... I think this is what is sustaining me.

Last edited:
Today I ate a bag of Doritos, pickles, teriyaki beef stick, sunflower seeds and some juice. I may be dying.

Edit: oh and 3 pints of IPA and weed... I think this is what is sustaining me.
I think the weed caused you to eat all that.

Was it cool ranch or nacho?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You guys like oven roasted chicken? One day I took out some chicken thighs and marinaded it with this random concoction and it was awesome.

Mix these ingredients in a bowl, slather the chicken with it overnight, and then bake it the next day for dinner. The mixture should have a saucy consistency, so not too watery.

- Olive oil
- Salt
- Cracked pepper
- I had some Club House "Montreal Chicken Spice" lying around
- Hot sauce (Not too much. I chose a mild liquidy one)
- Lemon juice (I didn't put a lot..... not sure it even made a difference)
- Honey (This is the key ingredient. It's sweet and sticky so some of it will burn, don't worry about that)

I found this pic online, which looked just like what I made.

honey-chicken-thighs-edited-640x480.jpg

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige that looks delicious!

This week I made another batch of pita bread. I make it regularly. It's better than what you can purchase from the store, and cheaper. You can make it too if you are willing to knead for 5m. Kneading is the secret to good homemade bread. If you made bread before and it sucked, you're probably lazy and didn't knead it long enough.

4 cups white all-purpose flour + extra for rolling
1 1/4th cups water, warmed to 110*F/43*C (use an extra 1/4th cup if you prefer softer loaves)
1 oz. yeast
1/4th cup olive oil
1/4th cup white sugar
1 tbsp salt

Time: ~85 minutes (10 minutes up front, 1 hour proving, 15 minutes to bake all batches)
Makes 8-12 loaves (the size is up to you)

1. Mix the yeast with the warm water. Let sit for a minute while you're getting out the other ingredients.
2. Mix flour, sugar, oil, and water-yeast in a large bowl.
3. Add the salt after the other ingredients have already been formed into a loose dough.
4. Knead for 5 minutes. 5 actual minutes. If you want good bread it needs to be worked to develop the structure.
5. Cover with plastic-wrap or a damp towel and let rise 1 hour.
6. Place a pan or baking sheet in your oven. This will be your baking surface. Pre-heat oven to 475*F/246*C
7. Roll out the loaves until they're the desired thickness. Make them thinner if you're unsure. Make sure they're well-floured to avoid sticking.
8. Once the pan is hot, place 2-4 loaves at a time.
9. Watch for them to puff up. They only take 3-5 minutes. DON'T burn your hand on the steam that comes out of the pockets.
10. They will be browned on one side. Do not flip. Take them out and cool on a cooling rack. Cook the other loaves until finished.
11. Let the loaves cool for 30-45m.
12. Seal in a bag after fully cooled to preserve freshness and softness.

It's almost impossible to undercook them as long as you let them puff up and brown a little bit on one side. Not all loaves will puff up into a perfect pita pocket.

They freeze really well so I tend to make a double-batch and then my wife and kids thaw a bag halfway through the week. Goes good with homemade hummus which I'll post later.

I love cereal. I am very diverse with my selections.

Twmecgr.jpg

You need to pour your cereal in first tho. Don't be one of those maniacs pouring in milk first.

Pairs well with Iced Coffee and Saturday Morning Cartoons and their theme songs.

Fun Fact: You can eat cereal any time of the day.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I'm almost 40 and to this day still prefer Reese's Puffs, Cookie Crisp, or Malt-O-Meal S'mores (the GOAT). Grape Nuts? Fiber One? Get that shit out of my pantry.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Twmecgr.jpg

You need to pour your cereal in first tho. Don't be one of those maniacs pouring in milk first.

Pairs well with Iced Coffee and Saturday Morning Cartoons and their theme songs.

Fun Fact: You can eat cereal any time of the day.
Wow. I used to eat that in the 80s just by itself. Chips one night, handfuls of Sugar Crisp the next.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Currently drinking Holger.

Don't ask. I have been drinking it so i can enter Walhalla. Which is, GAF Gold (Or Tyler's Blessing. Either one is okay with me).

Some say Holger is also the password to GAF Platinum. (Yes, there is a tier above GAF Gold. You didn't know this huh? Oh, you puny humans...)

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Oh boy, when I was at University I used to cook a good bit. Was lovely. Even did so for some love interests, friends at one point. Great thing.

Favorite meals have to be lasagne/baked ziti. That stuff is bangin. I'm not Italian, but my real name is and their food is my favorite. Coincidence?

J-Roderton

HIt some of that grouper, shrimp, and scallops for anniversary dinner tonight. Woman got a bunch of sushi. Have no idea what is on that platter but it was good.

ASrvSrD.jpg

X4PSLRp.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
HIt some of that grouper, shrimp, and scallops for anniversary dinner tonight. Woman got a bunch of sushi. Have no idea what is on that platter but it was good.

ASrvSrD.jpg

X4PSLRp.jpg
That sushi platter looks good. Kind of messy though, but you can tell it`ll be tasty.

I`m gonna guess the ones on the left are some kind of spicy salmon, gyozas in the middle. No idea what the ones on the right are.... might be eel.

J-Roderton

That sushi platter looks good. Kind of messy though, but you can tell it`ll be tasty.

I`m gonna guess the ones on the left are some kind of spicy salmon, gyozas in the middle. No idea what the ones on the right are.... might be eel.

Apparently it was crab Rangoon sushi?? Didn’t even know that was a thing. It was a chef’s choice type of item or something. I know jack-shit about sushi. Wife is the seasoned expert on the matter.

Apparently it was crab Rangoon sushi?? Didn’t even know that was a thing. It was a chef’s choice type of item or something. I know jack-shit about sushi. Wife is the seasoned expert on the matter.
Same with me. My wife is all knowing about it.

I love her so I don’t protest sushi. But it’s not something I’d ever care about without her.

Corn on the cob and potato wedges, definitely my thing.

J-Roderton

Boss brought in a giant-ass bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup for everyone this morning and work Christmas lunch #1 coming up this afternoon. Score.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Modernist Cusine style Lemon and/or Lime posset

I don't have any fancy pictures because I've not made any recently, but the end result is something like this: -

http%3A%2F%2Flostinfood.co.uk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F09%2Flemon-posset-with-biscuits-landscape-1024x818.jpg

A Posset is a form of Custard dessert that is achieved by using citric acid to curdle milk/cream and dates back to the medieval times. Super simple to make and always a winner at dinner parties I find as it's not a heavy dessert.

What you'll need (for 6 servings): -

Heavy/Double Cream: 300g - (330 ml/ 1 3/4 cups)

Sugar: 51g - (1/4 cup)

Lemon and/or Lime juice 57g - (1/4 cup)

Some lemon curd (optional)

Ideally, you want a culinary thermometer as well. Essential modernist cuisine gear to be honest and not that expensive. You also want accurate scales as the proportions are key to achieving a consistent result.

1. Combine the cream and sugar into a saucepan and warm it up, stirring constantly and bring it up to a temperature of 88c/190F using the thermometer to check.

2. Remove the pot from the heat and add the Lemon & Lime juice and stir constantly for about 5 minutes.

3. Leave the mixture to cool for about 10 minutes.

4. Divide evenly into 6 small dessert bowls/ramekins. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for 12 hours/overnight.

5. Optionally add a small dollop of lemon curd on top before serving.

6. Enjoy :)

Storage wise posset will keep for about 4 days . It's a nice refreshing dessert and not too heavy, and goes well with say some shortbread biscuits on the side.

Last edited:
Modernist Cusine style Lemon and/or Lime posset

I don't have any fancy pictures because I've not made any recently, but the end result is something like this: -

http%3A%2F%2Flostinfood.co.uk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F09%2Flemon-posset-with-biscuits-landscape-1024x818.jpg

A Posset is a form of Custard dessert that is achieved by using citric acid to curdle milk/cream and dates back to the medieval times. Super simple to make and always a winner at dinner parties I find as it's not a heavy dessert.

What you'll need (for 6 servings): -

Heavy/Double Cream: 300g - (330 ml/ 1 3/4 cups)

Sugar: 51g - (1/4 cup)

Lemon and/or Lime juice 57g - (1/4 cup)

Some lemon curd (optional)

Ideally, you want a culinary thermometer as well. Essential modernist cuisine gear to be honest and not that expensive. You also want accurate scales as the proportions are key to achieving a consistent result.

1. Combine the cream and sugar into a saucepan and warm it up, stirring constantly and bring it up to a temperature of 88c/190F using the thermometer to check.

2. Remove the pot from the heat and add the Lemon & Lime juice and stir constantly for about 5 minutes.

3. Leave the mixture to cool for about 10 minutes.

4. Divide evenly into 6 small dessert bowls/ramekins. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for 12 hours/overnight.

5. Optionally add a small dollop of lemon curd on top before serving.

6. Enjoy :)

Storage wise posset will keep for about 4 days . It's a nice refreshing dessert and not too heavy, and goes well with say some shortbread biscuits on the side.
Wow. Makes my cooking lame...

Reported : )

Kadayi

Banned
Wow. Makes my cooking lame...

Reported : )

Try it. Let me know the results. I've made it several times for people over the last few years and they've always been very positive about it. The main thing I like about it is, it's super simple and easy on the ingredients so you can whip it up at relatively short notice. Often times if I'm travelling to see friends I'll make some up the night before, put them in Kilner Jars to set, and throw them in a cooler and take them with me.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Homemade hummus, the long labor-intensive version. It will put any store-bought to shame.

The ratios are approximate. Combo with my pita recipe above and bring all the males/females to your yard for once.

4 cups chickpeas, cooked*
1 bayleaf (if cooking the chickpeas)
1/4 cup of tahini
1/2 cup of fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1/2 TBSP Ground Cumin + more for taste
1 TSP Salt + more for taste
1/2 TBSP Paprika + more for taste
2 TBSP of cold water + more for texture
Optional: chop up some parsley as a garnish.

*. If cooking dry chickpeas/garbanzo beans, soak the chickpeas in water overnight then boil in a large pot of fresh water for 90 minutes with a bayleaf added. Cooking the chickpeas and blending right after while still hot results in the smoothest hummus. 4 cups of rinsed canned chickpeas (typically 2 cans of 16oz a piece) is acceptable. Discard the bayleaf after cooking.
1. Add all ingredients to a large blender or food processor. Blend until it starts to get smooth. It will likely still be too thick. That's okay.
2. Taste.
3. Add more lemon juice first until it is as lemony as you want.
4. Add 1 TBSP olive oil + 1 TBSP water at a time, blending and testing the consistency until it is as thick or thin as you like.

If you want it to be "more authentic", a Lebanese hummus tends to be more garlicky and lemony, so adjust those ingredients accordingly.

The only real trick for great hummus is cooking the chickpeas and blending. That's how you get it so smooth. All the flavors can be played with and you should adjust it to your tastes.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Sandwich bread.

This is just sandwich bread, the sort that you slice and make a sandwich with. Surprisingly difficult to do it right, in my experience, but this recipe is reliable. You will need two rectangular bread pans and strong arms (or a mixer with a dough-hook).

7 cups whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 cup warm water (110*F/43*C)
1 oz yeast (~ 1 1/2 TBSP)
1 TBSP salt
2 bread pans, greased with butter and/or lined with parchment paper

1. Mix the yeast and warm water, setting it aside. This trivializes the need for an exact measurement of yeast.
2. Mix 2 cups of the whole-wheat flour with the yeast-water and mix well. Let rest for 15-20M
3. Mix in all the rest of the ingredients.
4. Knead by hand for 10 minutes or 7 minutes in a mixer with a dough-hook. It's quite a workout but do not cheat. Good bread is 80% proper kneading.
5. Divide the dough into two equal portions and put into the greased pans.
6. Let the pans rest in a warm place for 1 hour, or until the bread rises at least 1 inch over the top of the edge.
7. Heat oven to 350*F/176*C
8. Bake for 30 minutes.
9. Remove bread from pans immediately and cool on racks for 30m-1hr.

The bread freezes well. I bake about 2 loaves of this per week for the kids and the wife.

J-Roderton

Recipe?
That sounds super delicious.

Shredded up chicken breasts. I used a ninja. (This time I used drum sticks cuz it’s all i had)

Then I just add mayo and Slap Ya Mama extra hot seasoning (it’s in the pic)

Then I added ghost pepper pickles, diced up real good.

Just mix it all together real good and eat on toast. It’s bangin’.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
Shredded up chicken breasts. I used a ninja. (This time I used drum sticks cuz it’s all i had)

Then I just add mayo and Slap Ya Mama extra hot seasoning (it’s in the pic)

Then I added ghost pepper pickles, diced up real good.

Just mix it all together real good and eat on toast. It’s bangin’.
Yesss something easy and yummy. Thanks bro! And spicy pickles (my hero) :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Kadayi

Banned
Modernist Cuisine Cheese Sauce

Great for Mac and Cheese or on Broccoli/Cauliflower or as a fondue

This one requires a little investment because you need to buy some Sodium Citrate crystals/powder (salt of Citric Acid). not the sort of thing that you'll find down the local supermarket, but easily available via Amazon or other online retailers

(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BLPNMYY/?tag=neogaf0e-20)

You also need an immersion blender: -

Water or Milk 265g (265 ML/ 1 1/8 cups)

Sodium Citrate 11g (0.39 ounces)

White Cheddar Cheese* 285g (4 cups)
(finely grated)

* Other cheeses can be substituted like Jack, Stilton, Gruyere, etc or a mixture of

1. Heat the water/milk to a medium simmering temperature then add the sodium citrate till it dissolves

2. Gradually add in the cheese in small batches and use the immersion blender to smooth it

3. stir until you have a smooth consistency

4. Serve or store (will keep for a week in the fridge or 2 months frozen).

Sodium Citrate really punches the flavour of the cheese something fierce and is used a lot by professional modernist chefs. You'll end up with a very intense/rich sauce. Tastes spectacular, but you won't want large servings with it as a result, so be aware.

Top Bottom