• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Foods people love or hate, that you love.

Last year I went to London for work and while there was offered marmite as a "joke". At first I did find it very disgusting but I was told by one of the guys that if I don't use so much and put a slice of cheese on the toast it actually is quite nice.

And so I did and thats why I now spend about 20 euro a month buying marmite online.

I have been told and seen online that people either love or hate marmite with almost no in between people.

So what is a food that you love but it has a general love or hate it reputation?

marmite1310d.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite candy, by far, is Whoppers

I could down the whole carton no problem. No one I know likes them.

Whoppers_box.jpg

My favorite drink is Horchata, there’s a great taco shop in my childhood neighborhood back in SoCal that makes the best Horchata.

My friends hate it.

Horchata-2-768x1152.jpg

I hate blue cheese dressing with a passion

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Not many people I know enjoy mussels, oysters, snails, raw fish, that kinda stuff. Peasants.

On the inverse, cucumber is fucking horrible and I have no idea why anyone would choose to eat it. "But it doesn't taste of anything!" It does, it tastes like grass. Besides, if it doesn't taste of anything, why are you eating it in the first place? Also, tinned tuna is rank. It's essentially pet food. What are you, a mongrel? Eat a nice tuna steak instead.

Last edited:
Anchovies on pizza.

I don't do it very often because it's like a shotgun blast of salt to the mouth, but honestly I really love it, gets your mouth watering, I still wouldn't want it on my pizza all the time but once in a blue moon it's a nice change of pace from the usual pizza.

Similarly Hawaiian pizza with pineapple, I mean it's delicious, no clue what people's problem with it is.

Not many people I know enjoy mussels, oysters, snails, raw fish, that kinda stuff. Peasants.

Oh yeah, I love all that stuff and so does my dad, but it isn't super common that people like that kind of stuff.

I also love squid and octopus.

Last edited:
I don't mind Red Rush Tea and would happily drink more of it but I understand that people hate the taste.

Don't like Hash Browns at all.

Fbh

Seafood in general.
I know tons of people that don't like anything seafood related aside from Shrimps but personally I love it
And raw fish.... a good ceviche is god tier food

On the inverse, cucumber is fucking horrible and I have no idea why anyone would choose to eat it. "But it doesn't taste of anything!" It does, it tastes like grass. Besides, if it doesn't taste of anything, why are you eating it in the first place?

There's very few things that I've eaten that I find to be just straight bad.... but Cucumber is definitely one of them.
I don't like Muskmelon either, tastes like sweet cucumber IMO

lil puff

Most people I know dislike Cilantro on anything - I love the clean, fresh taste it adds.

I agree about the Anchovies ... they're just salt with a deeper flavor to me, but a little goes a long way, which is probably why they have a bad name. If you order pizza with anchovy, they tend to overdo it.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i hate onions & mushrooms. it's the slimy texture. for that reason i really dislike Supreme Pizzas.

when i was a kid i hated McDonald's because the burgers had those little crappy onions on them, i'd scrape them off with a french fry but there were always one or two embedded in the patty or breading. yuk

Last edited:

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
I could murder some calamari right now.
I have a co-worker that takes in thousands of pounds of squid off the coast of New England every year and I always end up with a freezer full. I eat squid in the summer as often as most Americans eat burgers and dogs.

Last edited:

lil puff

i hate onions & mushrooms. it's the slimy texture. for that reason i really dislike Supreme Pizzas.

when i was a kid i hated McDonald's because the burgers had those little crappy onions on them, i'd scrape them off with a french fry but there were always one or two embedded in the patty or breading. yuk
Yes. Mushrooms can be hit or miss for me. Usually miss if they are soft and slimy, maybe ok if they are fried into butter for steak. Burgers with mushrooms, swiss, anything like that is not for me.

To this day, I scrape the onions off of McDs, and generally avoid anything with onions. I always pick them out of premade salads.

Spam Luncheon Meat, I think people tend to dislike that gamey pork flavor, but I love it.

I think some people hate Brie Cheese. I can eat it plain with a spoon.

People that hate Brussel Sprouts likely never had them prepared properly. They are up there with my favorite vegetables.

Actually, Spam, Brie, and roasted Brussels sounds like a decent meal!

Super Mario

Banned
Most people I know dislike Cilantro on anything - I love the clean, fresh taste it adds.

I agree about the Anchovies ... they're just salt with a deeper flavor to me, but a little goes a long way, which is probably why they have a bad name. If you order pizza with anchovy, they tend to overdo it.

I never understand the Cilantro hate. It is delicious.

lil puff

Cilantro tastes like soap to me

I think its a genetic thing
Yep, that's what I always hear. I think this happens when you use too much of it. A little bit is just a hint enough to add the freshness. It's not as neutral as parsley where you can go more heavy handed.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
There is little I won't eat, so most standard American food dislikes are beyond my understanding. I don't understand why so many people I know won't eat seafood, or try foreign foods. I try to avoid having to socialize with those types.

But honest to god picky eaters are the one group of people who I hate with all fabric of my being, and I discriminate against them consciously and unconsciously. If your idea of adventurous is chicken tenders and ketchup with french fries you aren't even human to me.

Last edited:
Things I eat that might be questionable to some.

Insects.

Slimy textures such as mountain yam raw eggs or stewed okra, or steamed fatty fish skin

I like eating bones and heads of living things, Marrow is life.

Offal - such as intestines and kidneys stomach linings etc

Really mouldy cheese

Century eggs

Durian

Blood sausage and other blood related sauces and foods

The only thing I dont eat is human flesh. Unless the need arises that is, so dont get in a plane crash with me future lunch.

Thurible

Insects.

Slimy textures such as mountain yam raw eggs or stewed okra, or steamed fatty fish skin

Really mouldy cheese

Century eggs

Durian

The only thing I dont eat is human flesh. Unless the need arises that is, so dont get in a plane crash with me future lunch.
grossed-out-gif-11.gif

I think we have a winner.
/endthread

JK. If you don't mind me asking what got you into those foods and why do you like them? Would you recommend them to others or is it like a very specific palate?

Cybrwzrd

Banned

Insects.

Really mouldy cheese

Century eggs

Durian

Nothing in here that I wouldn’t eat either, tho you did forget natto, uni (sea urchin) and kani miso.

cr0w

Old Member
Canned potted meat. My dad was Army and got used to canned food and MREs way back when so he always kept garbage around the house. I don't eat it often, but I always keep a 6-pack in the pantry in case I'm hungry when my wife isn't home and I can't be arsed to do anything but slap some on a couple pieces of bread for a snack.

As far as food that I hate...I have the gene that makes Cilantro taste like soap. The faintest taste of it and I get violent. Think Warren from There's Something About Mary when someone touches his ear.

Manus

My favorite food is chicken livers and most people I know hate them. I also love sashimi which most people I know prefer sushi.

Their is not really any foods I hate just some I'd rather not have often. I'll eat anything.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Not technically a food but Mayonnaise apparently. I have to buy my own because everyone in the house buys miracle whip and I friggin hate that shit.

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
I think I share a general taste with people. Usually if I don't like something other people don't like it either

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Ohh totally forgot one thing. MSG is the god of seasonings. It makes everything taste better. So many people “won’t” eat it though- but I never see them turn down Doritos.

Not technically a food but Mayonnaise apparently. I have to buy my own because everyone in the house buys miracle whip and I friggin hate that shit.

Do you get real mayo (Kewpie) or that imitation stuff Americans call mayo (Duke’s, Hellmann’s, etc)?

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
My favorite drink is Horchata, there’s a great taco shop in my childhood neighborhood back in SoCal that makes the best Horchata.

My friends hate it.

Hate horchata? I can understand not being in love with it, but hate it? Dafuq.

Dark Star

cucumber, celery... they both taste like nothing on their own, gotta have some zesty ranch or something to add taste.
radishes ... strong smell/taste, throw them in the garbage.
fresh tomatoes (i only like them grilled or dissolved in soups/sauce, but just plain tomato slices with no seasoning? nah even on a burger... it just ruins it for me, too watery, gross consistency ... i also HATE ketchup)

only thing that comes to mind, in terms of stuff i like : mustard. brown mustard, spicy mustard, whatever... i love it, especially on hotdogs.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Pickles, onions, garlic, cheesecake, shanklish, seafood.

Everything white besides desert stuff is fucking disgusting. Mayo, alfredo, horseradish, ranch etc.

JCK75

Black Licorice -the good stuff from Australia, I love it so much I have a difficult time not consuming way too much in one sitting... and this is a problem.

I became extremely ill a few weeks back, endlessly shitting out an oddly colored stool that smelled like dog food, it put me down for two days, last weekend it happened again and the only thing I could place the two weekends had in common was my trip to the Amish market and me consuming the good licorice.. did a few minutes of research and learning that real licorice contains a chemical that is fine in small amounts but if you consume too much as I did it can almost kill you (heart and digestive problems).

So as much as I love the stuff, the anti licorice crowd is on the better, safer side of the argument.

Black Licorice -the good stuff from Australia, I love it so much I have a difficult time not consuming way too much in one sitting... and this is a problem.

I became extremely ill a few weeks back, endlessly shitting out an oddly colored stool that smelled like dog food, it put me down for two days, last weekend it happened again and the only thing I could place the two weekends had in common was my trip to the Amish market and me consuming the good licorice.. did a few minutes of research and learning that real licorice contains a chemical that is fine in small amounts but if you consume too much as I did it can almost kill you (heart and digestive problems).

So as much as I love the stuff, the anti licorice crowd is on the better, safer side of the argument.

I read about that last week, that black licorice can kill you. Wild

Balut - I can handle maybe 1-3 of these. but if i look too closely it's extremely offputting. i prefer the hard embryo egg part rather than the soft fetus part.

lil puff

Yeah, I hate Mayo. ewgh, it's just eggs whipped up.

I don't want to know what is in Miracle Whip. The name just sounds bad.

I am not a huge fan of Ketchup.

Greedings

I eat basically anything, but if you put vinegar near it, I'm not touching that shit. Vinegar makes me want to vomit, even in tiny quantities.

I always eat the fat and skin on meat, aside from scales. They are both much tastier to me than the lean protein. Chicken and turkey skin is delicious. I'd rather have a plate of prime rib or ribeye fat trimmings browned in the oven than the meat itself. I also eat marrow.

Most raw vegetables are disgusting to me. The only ones I can eat are baby spinach and really fresh kale. I never eat salad unless I make it myself, with some good blue cheese, nuts, and maybe some raspberries. I also only use oil for dressing. Speaking of. . .

I don't like vinegar, and I can't stand vinegar-heavy dishes, so a lot of cold sides (pea salad, bean salad, etc.) make me want to vomit. I also don't like cold food in general, aside from some cheeses being better cold.

Top Bottom