• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Footage of The Order 1886 wasn't ready for VGX

viveks86

Regardless, they haven't planned The Order 1886 showings properly if it's a 2014 game. We've seen so much of certain 2014 games, but almost nothing form The Order. PS4 launch event or VGX would've been the perfect time to show something.

You are reading far too much into this. If the game is still a year away, it is unreasonable to expect them to show stuff in 2013. We don't even know half the games that are to be released during the later half of 2014, but for some reason if there is no gameplay footage for a game already announced, then it isn't ready for a 2014 release?

rdrr gnr

Why are people conflating the state of the game with the rather unflattering roll out of footage? No, I don't think anything odd is going on with its development, but it's sorta disappointing that a game we've known about for six months now doesn't have a second of gameplay available. Not only that, but months have gone by with ample opportunity to showcase the title (PS4 Launch, VGX, Gamescom, whatever other events happened). And, no, that .gif of GI footage doesn't really count. Nor does understanding why developers/marketers make these decisions have anything to do with whether people should be okay with them. I remember Ru wouldn't even specify the genre in some post-E3 interviews. It's fucking stupid.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
What are you talking about? There won't be a wall of shame, because it's over, period. Sony lost their last ace, and that's the end of their PS4 hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for PS4. Sony has nothing left, nothing they have can fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for anyone, hardcore or casual, to substantially invest in a PS4. Except if they want to play Uncharted. Which will also come to XB1 at some point (ND will turn independent similar to Bungie).

Sony took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a PS4 over a XB1 (except Gaikai LOL STREAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny titles that will be nice but won't stir up any sales is not going to salvage the plain, underdesigned single-purpose machine that was PS4.

There may be some hardcore gamers that stick around. Some did it for Gamecube too. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of Sony is done.

Oh, never thought I'd see an Amir0x joke post used like this. Bravo! Hahaha. There's always someone will take it serious though.

viveks86

What are you talking about? There won't be a wall of shame, because it's over, period. Sony lost their last ace, and that's the end of their PS4 hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for PS4. Sony has nothing left, nothing they have can fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for anyone, hardcore or casual, to substantially invest in a PS4. Except if they want to play Uncharted. Which will also come to XB1 at some point (ND will turn independent similar to Bungie).

Sony took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a PS4 over a XB1 (except Gaikai LOL STREAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny titles that will be nice but won't stir up any sales is not going to salvage the plain, underdesigned single-purpose machine that was PS4.

There may be some hardcore gamers that stick around. Some did it for Gamecube too. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of Sony is done.

Classic. This is it, folks! The inconvenient truth has been laid out, plain and naked. Nothing left to see here.

Hold the phone, you made threads shitting on Knack and Shadow Fall the past couple days and you don't even have a PS4? Did you even play the games in question?

index.php

KoopaTheCasual

The age of Sony is done.
marry me, pls.

Swishh

Banned
All I'll say here is concerns are unwarranted. Game's absolutely fine.

Who are you again? Oh, that's right, an absolute nobody like the rest of us. You say this as if you have some sort of inside knowledge, which you don't.

Fact of the matter is, the game is scheduled for a Fall 2014 release, which is about 8-9 months away, and all we've seen was a trailer and not an ounce of gameplay.

That is unheard of.

Famassu

Anyone remember this article from a couple weeks ago?

http://kotaku.com/sony-promises-there-wont-be-a-ps4-game-drought-1464035970

Sounds like they're planning E3, Gamescom, and TGS already. Maybe they don't think of VGX as a big show?

Regardless, they haven't planned The Order 1886 showings properly if it's a 2014 game. We've seen so much of certain 2014 games already, but almost nothing form The Order. PS4 launch event or VGX would've been the perfect time to show something.
We have seen nothing of Halo. We have seen nothing of Sunset Overdrive. We have seen very little of The Witcher 3. Watch Dogs went into hiding after it was delayed and that is a late Spring 2014 release, not Fall 2014 like The Order. There are plenty of games that are going to be released sooner or later that we are not seeing material from at the moment. It's the PR department that decides when and which games will start getting attention. RaD might themselves be happy to show the game but Sony's PR department might want to hold it off for a little while longer.

Who are you again? Oh, that's right, an absolute nobody like the rest of us. You say this as if you have some sort of inside knowledge, which you don't.

Fact of the matter is, the game is scheduled for a Fall 2014 release, which is about 8-9 months away, and all we've seen was a trailer and not an ounce of gameplay.

That is unheard of.
Lol God damn! Keep this up and I think you'll get a new tag!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

That is unheard of.
We had gameplay screens from GI just a couple months ago. We know more about this game than Sunset Overdrive or Halo yet people keep targeting Sony and this game for not being shown much.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

God damn.

Loudninja

We had gameplay screens from GI just a couple months ago. We know more about this game than Sunset Overdrive or Halo yet people keep targeting Sony and this game for not being shown much.
Yeah I don't get that.We got some good info on characters, weapons and the setting along with pics already.

Sure I want to see gameplay but they have not been silent on this at all.

If VGX is not going to be broadcast live on TV then it can't be a huge event. I think Sony can afford to wait until E3 or even create an event just for The Order.

People are desperate to bash Sony for anything, even something as inconsequential as this. At least, I hope that's case and that these people aren't actually for real. I'm personally not even worried, Sony will deliver.

Loudninja

Its like people want Sony to announced new games and show new stuff constantly.

We just seen 2 games announced last month, and they have Drive club and InFamous to focus on right now.

viveks86

That is unheard of.

Gran Turismo 6 says hi.

Also, cut out the arrogance, please? It makes me want to judge you instead of process what you have to say.

That is unheard of.

Is this your metldown?

Oh and you must not know shinobi. He just crushed your hopes and dreams of delayed game. He's not a "nobody" punkin.

Whoa...whoa...back the fuck up.

See, he was not trying to say that he hates Knack, or does not like Killzone Shadow Falls in particular.

But then there is this...

And just crappy ideas altogether.

What is fuck you got against Sony first party Endo Punk?

jayu26
Chief Detective Gaf. Specialty? Exposing Fanboys
(Yesterday, 11:32 PM)

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

That is unheard of.

Err, there have been and will be plenty of games that haven't shown anything substantial that are supposedly less than a year out. The yearly franchises like CoD and AC don't show anything at all till a few months into the year they release. You have devs like Naughty Dog with Uncharted 2/3 that like the next one were only announced 11 months ahead of release.

The Fall/Autumn season ends at the end of November which is most of a full year away, there are much bigger titles than The Order that are supposed to be releasing in less than a year that we have seen almost nothing of at all.

B.O.O.M

Sony's publishing it, so it is first party.

I don't think that's how it works. Sony owns IP, external studio makes the game = 2nd party (e.g. R&C games)

And of course sony owns the IP, they make the game = first party and they don't IP nor make the game = third party

At least that's the definition I know of

That is unheard of.

Press were shown gameplay of The Order behind the scenes. ( well, technically a tech-demo, but still. )

Gameinformer was shown an actual whole piece of vertical slice/gameplay, which was what they wrote in their piece.

When did we first see gameplay footage for Shadow Fall? 9 months ago.

When did we first see footage of Resogun? 4 months ago.

There's nothing unheard about this. Just because there's publishers like Ubisoft and EA that announces games one to two years in advance doesn't make it standard practice.

I remember some people calling GTA5 vapourware just because Rockstar didn't show gameplay footage at all for the longest time... some devs don't have to rely on vertical slice bullshit, you know.

SystemBug

The age of Sony is done.

Holy shit, this is just as bad as the Final Fantasy 13 one. Oh my god!

I don't think that's how it works. Sony owns IP, external studio makes the game = 2nd party (e.g. R&C games)

And of course sony owns the IP, they make the game = first party and they don't IP nor make the game = third party

That was pretty common terminology several years ago, but I think the studios behind bigger projects have become such a blur (like SSM's role in the Order alongside R@D) that distinguishing by IP ownership is easier.

In this case, it's a first party game mostly developed by an independent developer.

viveks86

I second this

Swishh

Banned
Gran Turismo 6 says hi.

Also, cut out the arrogance, please? It makes me want to judge you instead of process what you have to say.

gran turismo is a huge series, the biggest franchise on the playstation. they can get away with stuff like that.

and also, how am i being arrogant? just a genuine question, i don't want to be / sound arrogant, but working at gamestop does not make one an 'insider'

If that's the case, how do we define the "developer owns IP, but is published/funded by MS" type titles like SSO, Ryse and Gears of War?

There's practically no difference between those games and 1st/2nd party games, since those type of deals generally have right of first refusal and multi-game deals that prevent those games from ever being on a competitor's platform for a long, long, long time if ever... but it's still not MS owned.

gran turismo is a huge series, the biggest franchise on the playstation. they can get away with stuff like that.

and also, how am i being arrogant? just a genuine question, i don't want to be / sound arrogant, but working at gamestop does not make one an 'insider'

You said it was unheard of, except that it's not. :/

Resogun was announced 5 months ago. Released last month.

GTAV was announced earlier, but it was only in July that gameplay was shown. 3 months before launch. There was some crazies that actually thought GTAV was going to be vapourware because all they've done before that was shown in-engine cutscenes and talk about the game.

viveks86

What are you talking about? Bigger games have longer marketing cycles to make sure there is enough awareness when the game is out. Smaller games don't need to sell 10 million copies so they needn't be announced a year in advance and needn't spend marketing dollars so early to keep us engaged.The reason I mentioned gt is because your 8 month window comes across as totally arbitrary. If you go back a decade, games were rarely ever announced a year in advance, let alone demonstrated. So it isn't 'unheard of'.

Your comment comes of as arrogant because calling someone a 'nobody' is not the way to put your point across. I can bet you have no idea if shinobi has or doesn't have more information than you or I have. If you want to challenge that you can, but not by calling him a nobody. Forum etiquette 101 :)

Swishh

Banned
You said it was unheard of, except that it's not. :/

Resogun was announced 5 months ago. Released last month.

GTAV was announced earlier, but it was only in July that gameplay was shown. 3 months before launch. There was some crazies that actually thought GTAV was going to be vapourware because all they've done before that was shown in-engine cutscenes and talk about the game.

okay, perhaps my word choice was a bit flawed and wrong, but it certainly doesn't happen often.

Also, you can't compare GTA V, one of the most successful video game franchises in history, to a new, unproven IP in The Order.

Swishh

Banned
Your comment comes of as arrogant because calling someone a 'nobody' is not the way to put your point across. I can bet you have no idea if shinobi has or doesn't have more information than you or I have. If you want to challenge that you can, but not by calling him a nobody. Forum etiquette 101 :)

I didn't exclude myself from being a nobody. I said we're all nobodies (in terms of inside knowledge) here for the most part, with the exception of a few insiders on here like cboat. So, not sure how that was being 'arrogant' . Nevertheless, I probably shouldn't have said that.

However, I often lurk way more than I post, and everything I've read from shinobi implies that he is a big fan of video games, and not an insider by any means.

anyways, this is all going off topic.

i'm just disappointed that the order 1886 isn't ready for gameplay to be revealed to the public when the closed demo had people raving about it, and i am therefore skeptical about the game reaching that goal of a fall 2014 release date, and i also question the amount of exclusives sony has in store for next year. just my opinion as a day one ps4 owner.

okay, perhaps my word choice was a bit flawed and wrong, but it certainly doesn't happen often.

Looking at Sony's past few announcements, this have been how they handle their stuff though. :/

An announcement roughly one year from launch.
A bit of interviews, devs discussing the game, etc.
A major news bomb 50-60% into the release period.
Another major trailer/gameplay demo for the last big event before launch. (E3, Gamescom, etc)
Release.'

It's been this way for how they handled Tearaway, GoW, Killzone : Merc, Puppeteer, etc. The only exception to this was TLoU, which went through 2 E3s because it got delayed.

The only thing that can be taken out of the Order missing VGX is that they've missed the 3rd cycle of media opportunity.

Doesn't really matter, as Shu is still responsible in overseeing the game. I know he eats dinner with guys from Quantic Dream and visits their studio on a constant basis giving feedback, so he is obviously involved with Sony's second party partners just as much. But of course it's stupid to blame delays directly on him.

viveks86

Doesn't really matter, as Shu is still responsible in overseeing the game. I know he eats dinner with guys from Quantic Dream and visits their studio on a constant basis giving feedback, so he is obviously involved with Sony's second party partners just as much. But of course it's stupid to blame delays directly on him.
I second this too!

Top Bottom