• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Manager 2021 trailer and release info (First Xbox version since 2007/08 season)

Bullet Club

Football Manager 2021 debuts November 24 on PC/Mac.

Pre-purchase any time before launch to get Early Access and secure 10% off. Participating digital retailers only 👉 http://fm21.store/Pre-purchase

Football Manager will also return to Xbox in December for the first time since the 2007/08 season. Modelled on our popular Touch series, the Football Manager 2021 Xbox Edition will be a Play Anywhere title meaning it can be enjoyed on Xbox One, Series X and S, and any Windows 10 PC.

Football Manager Touch and Mobile also return for the new season across iOS, Android and Switch.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I used to love the old Championship Manager games (the old name) - CM97/98 holds very fond memories and the CM3 series was pretty fun, but from CM4 onwards really it became work. Worse still it failed as a game because it just doesn’t give feedback on what you’re doing wrong. It’s a random number generator time sink and the fun left town long ago.

BlueHawk357

Wow. This is a system seller for some.
I have FM20 on pc but hate pc gaming and prefer relaxing on a sofa with a controller. This is the cherry on top of getting a Series X instead of PS5 now. Chances are it would go on gamepass too at some point.

SCB3

Football Manager will also return to Xbox in December for the first time since the 2007/08 season. Modelled on our popular Touch series, the Football Manager 2021 Xbox Edition will be a Play Anywhere title meaning it can be enjoyed on Xbox One, Series X and S, and any Windows 10 PC.

This probably means its gonna be a Game Pass title as well at some point

Used to play 07 & 08 religiously on Xbox360, be Interesting to see if there's still a market on console for football management Sims.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Wait? Will this be a full priced title on Xbox? I know it's based on the touch version, but if it has all the leagues from the get go with no major MTX then fucking goodbye life!

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Still gutted that FM21 isn't coming to Stadia. I had dropped out of FM for a few years, but being able to play it on any device at any time was beautiful. Worked great on big screen with a controller too, so bit annoying that they went with FM Touch version for Xbox.

That said if this worked on xCloud day 1 then it would be pretty cool, and the touch version might make more sense in that respect.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

Incredible disappointed to hear it's based off the mobile version and not the PC version

You can connect a mouse and keyboard to the xbox so I don't see why a straight port of the PC version isn't possible, the mobile version lacks a lot of stuff that makes the new FM worthwhile

TBiddy

Incredible disappointed to hear it's based off the mobile version and not the PC version

You can connect a mouse and keyboard to the xbox so I don't see why a straight port of the PC version isn't possible, the mobile version lacks a lot of stuff that makes the new FM worthwhile

For me, it's a win that it's based on the Touch version. The full version is waaaaaay to much work.

chigstoke

For me, it's a win that it's based on the Touch version. The full version is waaaaaay to much work.
Full version is the best thing.

One minute you're setting up the perfect 4-2-3-1 Gegenpress, the next minute about 6 real life years have passed. But it was all worth it for lifting the Sky Bet League 2 winners trophy with Harrogate Town.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I have FM20 on pc but hate pc gaming and prefer relaxing on a sofa with a controller. This is the cherry on top of getting a Series X instead of PS5 now. Chances are it would go on gamepass too at some point.

System seller for me. I have been on the fence with a XSX/S for a while, but having FM on there pretty much nails it for me.

Can't wait to take Birmingham City to Prem and Champs League glory!

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I used to love the old Champ Man games (same devs - name changed when they left Domark/Eidos to join Sega for the uninitiated). I spent so many hours on it - CM97/8 was what made me get a PC for fuck's sake. They were so good - I would regularly pull an all-nighter on it. Somewhere in CM4 something got lost.

- The press conferences are fucking pointless
- The player interaction is hopeless
- Too many interacting systems without sufficient information to make informed choices - may make a good simulation but makes a terrible game

I grew up on CM, but perhaps now we need something more akin to Premier Manager.

I used to love the old Champ Man games (same devs - name changed when they left Domark/Eidos to join Sega for the uninitiated). I spent so many hours on it - CM97/8 was what made me get a PC for fuck's sake. They were so good - I would regularly pull an all-nighter on it. Somewhere in CM4 something got lost.

- The press conferences are fucking pointless
- The player interaction is hopeless
- Too many interacting systems without sufficient information to make informed choices - may make a good simulation but makes a terrible game

I grew up on CM, but perhaps now we need something more akin to Premier Manager.
Have you tried FM Touch? Its a faster, watered down version, but it scratches the itch.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Have you tried FM Touch? Its a faster, watered down version, but it scratches the itch.

Yep - the idea is sound in theory. The problem is that the game is fundamentally built around doing those things that touch strips out, so all it actually does is further remove agency to solve squad problems.

Night.Ninja

Banned
The should have done a trial, I can't justify buying this when cyberpunk is coming out in 10 days 😔

Last edited:

shoplifter

Been playing it all day while working because FM is the kind of game you can do that with. It's good as always. Not sure the controller scheme is the best, but I'll manage.

iJudged

Banned
how's the sim engine? Love to watch but painful how bad it is. If they could nail that down, it would be amazing.

magaman

Banned

It's almost like you can play PC like I do - with a controller from a sofa.

shoplifter

how's the sim engine? Love to watch but painful how bad it is. If they could nail that down, it would be amazing.

The fouls and collisions seem a lot better but I didn't buy it last year, so it may have been done there too. Honestly, it looks fine and it's perfectly serviceable for what it needs to be.

Top Bottom