• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodvik

How about giving the fans some credit? Granted if people weren't such suckers for a pretty face he'd be thrown in the garbage, but both Liverpool and Chelsea fans adored him no matter how shit he played.

Edit: Apparently he did.

Fans loves Torres I have no idea why. From a neutrals point of view he seems a decent striker the past two seasons but not much more. Being a sub for an aging Drogba seems a more than fair position for him. In fact he should be grateful for it imho.

Clegg

Just to recap on Uniteds possible transfers this summer.

Players Out:

Owen
Berbatov
Fabio (loan)
Pogba
James
De Laet

Players In:

Kagawa?
Powell?

It looks like there is going to be a lot of outgoings at United. Hopefully we'll get some quality players brought in.

rififi

The Hazard saga has been so ridiculous already. God damn Twitter is just perpetuating the stupidity of it all. The whole "I've spoken to Manchester and Chelsea" quotes aren't even true but I bet they'll be in some of the papers tmrw.

The worst one was the "I will be wearing blue next season, that's certain".
It's a shame because if you actually watch an interview with him (obviously in french), you can see he isn't such a huge douche like everyone is making him out to be (I'm sure he is very confident in himself if not completely arrogant though - but not to the levels he is currently portrayed).
He only discusses his future when a reporter asks a direct question about it.
The only thing that I know is absolutely true is that he said he definitely wants to go to England (because I watched that interview).

Lunchbox

Banned
Btw those with iPhones or iPads, get Score! Best fucking game ever
finished all the goals!

when really memorable goals like Ronaldinho's free kick against england in 2002 came up and i knew exactly where to put the ball without looking at the playbook so seaman would flap at it........it was magical

but then there were a lot fillers like, who evers goals for Yugoslavia vs france from the 70s or some shit. Wish they had clubs as well, like Bergkamps turn, beckhams 50 yarder or zidanes champions league final goal

GorillaJu

Players Out:

Owen
Berbatov
Fabio (loan)
Pogba
James
De Laet

Players In:

Kagawa?
Powell?

It looks like there is going to be a lot of outgoings at United. Hopefully we'll get some quality players brought in.

Powell has one of the best growth rates on Fifa 12. He goes from like 50ish to 85ish

Salazar

It's unfortunate that Macheda will probably hang around for the next season after his ankle heals. He'll be difficult to sell to anybody, considering he has done fuck-all for such a long time.

Clegg

It's unfortunate that Macheda will probably hang around for the next season after his ankle heals. He'll be difficult to sell to anybody, considering he has done fuck-all for such a long time.

I was going to put in Macheda until I remember that he was injured.

I think we could sell him to a Serie A side looking for a semi decentish back-up striker.

xintin

I'm not too disappointed in what Torres said, but when he said it. Lampard, Drogba, and above everyone else, RDM were all asked about their futures at the club right after the game and all said the same thing: Tonight is about celebration, everything else comes after.

Torres should have done the same, kept on celebrating and settle it in the coming weeks.

Players Out:

Owen
Berbatov
Fabio (loan)
Pogba
James
De Laet

Players In:

Kagawa?
Powell?

This summer we really do need quality, we have enough "filler" type players as it is.

Fletcher isn't a certainty to come back either so I think for now we can say we've lost him and just hope he comes back. PIG will be leaving too.

- We need to buy a full back, we'll only have Rafael and Evra as our out and out full backs next season with Fabio going out on loan. I suppose Jones/Smalling can play RB but it's not ideal...maybe Fryers will be promoted...but still feel like we need one.

- In CM we have enough numbers but I'll seriously lose it if we don't address that this summer.

- Only other position I see us a bit short is up front, only 3 strikers but if we sign Kagawa and Powell they can play up there behind the 3 we have so that should be alright. I don't know if Will Keane is going to be loaned but if not I can see him getting a few minutes here and there.

I just hope we get our business done nice and early. It seems like Powell is very close and Kagawa not too far behind if we can convince him United are the best club in for him. I hope we can get those two done quite soon, definitely before the Euro's.

Soi-Fong

This summer we really do need quality, we have enough "filler" type players as it is.

Fletcher isn't a certainty to come back either so I think for now we can say we've lost him and just hope he comes back. PIG will be leaving too.

- We need to buy a full back, we'll only have Rafael and Evra as our out and out full backs next season with Fabio going out on loan. I suppose Jones/Smalling can play RB but it's not ideal...maybe Fryers will be promoted...but still feel like we need one.

- In CM we have enough numbers but I'll seriously lose it if we don't address that this summer.

- Only other position I see us a bit short is up front, only 3 strikers but if we sign Kagawa and Powell they can play up there behind the 3 we have so that should be alright. I don't know if Will Keane is going to be loaned but if not I can see him getting a few minutes here and there.

I just hope we get our business done nice and early. It seems like Powell is very close and Kagawa not too far behind if we can convince him United are the best club in for him. I hope we can get those two done quite soon, definitely before the Euro's.

I heard something how the deal with Kagawa going to United is basically done, but we're waiting for Hazard's response into which club he'll move this Summer. Hopefully it's false, since United has no right to treat Kagawa as a second-choice player to get this summer.

I heard because of this he's also going to be having talks with Arsene Wenger to go instead to Arsenal.

I heard something how the deal with Kagawa going to United is basically done, but we're waiting for Hazard's response into which club he'll move this Summer. Hopefully it's false, since United has no right to treat Kagawa as a second-choice player to get this summer.

I heard because of this he's also going to be having talks with Arsene Wenger to go instead to Arsenal.
I've heard similar but personally I don't believe that, there's no real source for that and it's just rumours. It would be very unlike United and Fergie to go about their business like that. I don't think Fergie would go out to see Kagawa and then have him come over to Manchester just to sure him up as a "back-up" for somebody like Hazard who at the moment can't commit.

Also, I don't even think there is a world's difference between Hazard and Kagawa in quality. I haven't seen enough of either to be sure but Kagawa is no slouch, he is a seriously top quality player. Hazard is very flashy and I guess he has better long term potential.

No idea about what Arsenal are doing but I'm confident that if we really want Kagawa we can trump Arsenal in most areas.

Soi-Fong

I've heard similar but personally I don't believe that, there's no real source for that and it's just rumours. It would be very unlike United and Fergie to go about their business like that. I don't think Fergie would go out to see Kagawa and then have him come over to Manchester just to sure him up as a "back-up" for somebody like Hazard who at the moment can't commit.

Also, I don't even think there is a world's difference between Hazard and Kagawa in quality. I haven't seen enough of either to be sure but Kagawa is no slouch, he is a seriously top quality player. Hazard is very flashy and I guess he has better long term potential.

No idea about what Arsenal are doing but I'm confident that if we really want Kagawa we can trump Arsenal in most areas.

I really want both players, but with how Hazard has been treating this transfer saga he pretty much comes off as a complete cunt to me. Hopefully we all get his answer soon.

As for Kagawa it'd be really nice to see him in say the number 7 shirt (if Hazard chooses another club) right behind Rooney in a CAM role. Kagawa doesn't need to be the second Anderson.

Lightning

Banned
The signing of Kagawa may hamper the development and progress of Aaron Ramsey so I am not all that for it to be honest. Would rather us focus our efforts of trying to get M'Vila to sign for us.

Do United fans really want Hazard? He would cost a lot, take a huge chunk out of your wage bill, and have a big effect on your budget and is no guarantee to be a success. Bit iof a gamble transfer to be honest...

Lunchbox

Banned
The signing of Kagawa may hamper the development and progress of Aaron Ramsey so I am not all that for it to be honest. Would rather us focus our efforts of trying to get M'Vila to sign for us.

Do United fans really want Hazard? He would cost a lot, take a huge chunk out of your wage bill, and have a big effect on your budget and is no guarantee to be a success. Bit iof a gamble transfer to be honest...

i'll take kagawa and m'villa

you can have hazard

Wouldn't say no to Hazard obv but would much rather we spend a potential £30m on a CM. I think signing Hazard is an excess really, it wouldn't improve our first team massively, not in the short-term anyway.

IMO Fergie wants him because he wants some kind of iconic player who can be another match winner and talisman in the side alongside Rooney, the way we had Ronaldo + Rooney (and Tevez). We wanted Sanchez last summer but couldn't get him, seems like this summer Fergie wants Hazard.

Soi-Fong

Wouldn't say no to Hazard obv but would much rather we spend a potential £30m on a CM. I think signing Hazard is an excess really, it wouldn't improve our first team massively, not in the short-term anyway.

IMO Fergie wants him because he wants some kind of iconic player who can be another match winner and talisman in the side alongside Rooney, the way we had Ronaldo + Rooney (and Tevez). We wanted Sanchez last summer but couldn't get him, seems like this summer Fergie wants Hazard.

Hm.. I guess it really depends on what Hazard wants, an iconic status or money. His FB page says he wants a new challenge. Well, there's no better challenge than wearing the #7 shirt and proving your worth in it and heck, even daring to be better than the likes of Ronaldo, Best, Beckham, etc.

This reminds me of the transfer saga we had here in Chicago surrounding Lebron James and how many wanted him to go to the Chicago Bulls to prove himself worthy of being greater than Michael Jordan and well, we knew how that turned out.

Hm.. I guess it really depends on what Hazard wants, an iconic status or money. His FB page says he wants a new challenge. Well, there's no better challenge than wearing the #7 shirt and proving your worth in it and heck, even daring to be better than the likes of Ronaldo, Best, Beckham, etc.

This reminds me of the transfer saga we had here in Chicago surrounding Lebron James and how many wanted him to go to the Chicago Bulls to prove himself worthy of being greater than Michael Jordan and well, we knew how that turned out.
Meh, I don't begrudge Hazard going to City or Chelsea. He has no reason not to take the extra money he will earn there. Playing for United is more of an honour IMO than playing for those two clubs (of course I would say that!)...but it's not the same as playing for Real Madrid. United are a historic football club but it doesn't have the pulling power of Real who on their name and white shirt alone can lure players in. Hazard can achieve whatever he can achieve at United at City or Chelsea really. Playing for United might help his cause to go down as a great player a little bit more but really if he is good enough he will get there anyway.

If he does choose to join United it will probably be because of Ferguson and because he has a respect for the clubs history. I expect money to trump that because for a player, unless you really support or love a certain side, it's about earning as much money as possible and winning trophies. He's as likely to do that at City/Chelsea and he can earn alot more money doing it.

My biggest concern with Hazard would be that in 3/4 years time he wants to move to Real Madrid.

Choc

Banned
I'm not too disappointed in what Torres said, but when he said it. Lampard, Drogba, and above everyone else, RDM were all asked about their futures at the club right after the game and all said the same thing: Tonight is about celebration, everything else comes after.

Torres should have done the same, kept on celebrating and settle it in the coming weeks.

Torres wants to leave i think. The others do not

Thats your answer. Easiest way to get transfer listed is to shit on a club on a night like that

Plasma

Banned

Heh if we did sign him I'd imagine we'd stick him on the wing like Arshavin despite him being a CAM.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Anything interesting happen in the last 100 pages or so?(I am on 50ppg)

Haven't been keeping up with footballgaf for a while(though I have been watching most games), Napoli winning today was a surprise, bad luck juve-gaf. Still I'm sure you guys are happy with Serie A and copa italia final.

Something involving a zebra, but it's NSFW :p

Thanks! I'd say most of us are fine ;) We broke all the records of failure in the last two years alone so it's hard to be disappointed with this year. :D

Napoli clearly wanted it more than us, our attitude was completely wrong. No CL next year for Napoli, so that's probably the last time this team (Three Tenors) is going to win a title together, and they deserve something.

I feel bad for Zabo, he paid to watch this game in 3D! With that performance, I imagine it was like watching Hangover 3 :p

LegoArmo

I saw M'Vila play twice against Celtic and he was really... anonymous.

Maybe he just had a couple of off games, but Celtic dominated the midfield in those games.

PaulLFC

OT11 time! Last minute name suggestions? Mine:

OT11 | Moneyball
OT11 | Too busy reading transfer news to think of a subtitle

I'm sure we can do better than that.

dc89

UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE!

In Steve Keans crunch talks with the owners in India he recommended his pr guy for a place on the board

The local journo just tweeted he has confirmed the position in an interview he did with him and it makes Kean have even more influence

Corrupt cunts can fuck off

RIP Blackburn Rovers I'll miss you old friend

That really sucks. The fit and proper ownership criteria really needs looking at.

I feel sorry for Blackburn fans. I really do.

Me too, and Jack Walkers family.

That's horrendous news about Blackburn.

As for Hazard, it would be interesting if City didn't get one of their summer targets for a change and he did go to Chelsea instead.

I said yesterday that if they don't get him, they will look elsewhere. They will want to strenghtnen. Mancini openly slated Marwood and Cook last year for how slow they were in doing deals. Mancini wanted Nasri in June so he could go on tour but it dragged on until August if I recall correctly.

This time he wants to do business early so I'm pretty sure City already have looked at plan B.

Cavani looks so much like Tim Riggins. I'd love him at Liverpool but alas, he's surely bound for a Champions League club.

I wonder where though!

Hamsik shaved all his hair! Won't ever get used to that.

No more silly hair cut?

Mirror reporting Modric has handed in a transfer request.

Edit - Sorry it might be that he is preparing to hand in a transfer request.

It begins.

Bound to happen. He wants CL and so does Bale, he'll be next.

RIP.

Moving from just outside Blackburn into blackburn itself but out Preston side near hoghton.

In a terrace at minute so no drive or garden so it can be a nightmare.

I think I've just got used to it all and change is scary lol

Spent too much time in PR1 (1BA) as my office was the big Bt building at the end of friargate for 7 years

My GF lives in Fulwood which is PR2.

It's a bit of a concrete jungle where dreams are made of.

No dreams can be made in Friargate...

FUCK

FUCK

FUCK

FUCK

FUCK

I WAS ON THE LAST CHAPTER OF MAX PAYNE 3 AND THE PS3 FROZE DURING AN AUTOSAVE. FILE CORRUPTED AND MY WHOLE SAVE IS GONE.

I HAVE TO START AGAIN.

FUCK

FUCK

FUCK

Oh dear. Is it a good game?

Happy for Cahill, bet he doesn't believe it.

Must be confusing! One moment he's with Bolton who were destined for relegation and now he's a champion of Europe.

we cant leave out Meireles and his ridiculous hair can we?
8a2fb69fc65345aefaf50b9bcce90946-getty-511053413.jpg

He must be on at least £40k a week, get a proper hair cut.

Wait that new chelsea jersey has a star on it now? its seems to.

Edit: Why do Barca have no stars? :p Is it a meaningless star?

Oh here we go!

For the Champs League. Similar to Bayern's four. Think it's just a matter of choice hence Barca don't have them.

It is a matter of choice. People who have won it multiple times get a arm patch anyway I think. Only 5 clubs have them though so stars too is a bit too much.

Bayern Munich Second in Brand Value After Champions League Final
http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...d-in-brand-value-after-champions-league-final

Fuck yeah
I'm a freaking loser :(

Interesting this. City have overtook Spurs and are now chasing up Liverpool.

What do the 3 stars on the City jersey represent?

Just part of the crest if I remember correctly.

Correct!

Wikipedia: "Above the eagle and shield are three stars, which are purely decorative."

NOT SURE IF SERIOUS.

Yup of course is serious. Nothing wrong with that.

Oh it's true :lol

:D

To be fair mancitys crest was probably around long before the ten titles = star idea. And that idea doesn't really exist inengland. Right?

Nah. It was just part of a redesigned crest. It did exist.

If Anzhi give us 45mil they can have Van Persie. He is not worth that much and we could use the money to invset in other players. I would rather RVP signs for us but if he is to be sold it better not be to a PL club and most definitely NOT FUCKING MAN CITY. I will really turn against RVP if he signs for City....

Hope we get Hazard then cause if not we will have spare cash floating around and will be wanting to sign at least one big name!!

The 3 UCL's they should have won :p

Steady on! We've only been in it once!

BELIEVE NOTHING.

Best thing you've said all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom