• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

acohrs

Live sport costs money and generates money, and that isn't going to change just because people that want to watch Netflix and Amazon (and the types of shows that they produce) like paying £7 a month instead of £50. For it to make an impact, there needs to be less people bidding for the packages not more as the PL will sell to the highest bidder (sort of. Rumour in the industry is that BT outbid Sky for all packages this time around).

If Netflix or Amazon decided to weigh in and try to buy a package it would only drive the prices for each match package up and the competition will drive prices down for us.

If people really do get driven away from Sky or BT because of cost and those companies no longer have the money to bid £11m per game then someone else will step in to try and do it. That could even be Amazon or Netflix. Amazon certainly has the money.

BT though wanted to come in and disrupt the industry and they knew that buying the sport will help them get subscribers for phone lines and broadband which is where they can basically fleece people because operating costs are comparatively low.

Sky can make less profit from both, since it all has to go through BT networks anyway.

I'd love the PL to be back on the BBC or on Netflix or something, though at the moment my internet is shit so fuck that.

Instead, I for the first time just subscribed to sky Sport and BT sport, 8 years after leaving my parents home. Why? Because BT were offering half price and Sky gave me 60% off. So I get every broadcast PL game, FA Cup, league cup, CL and my F1 for £30.49 a month, much better than the sticker price of about £62 a month to get the pair on Sky (not including the base package).

Sky actually aren't too fussed about the CL, as the deal is for UK market only and people in the UK only really watch the English teams. Despite that, they have to cover every game which is a lot of work and money. While they'd have it if it was going, they are fine letting BT faff around with it.

Would getting NowTV and just paying for match days be more or less expensive? Can piggyback atm on my dad's sky go account and watch thru my ps4.

Plus in Ireland, sky gets a 3pm Saturday kickoff match so makes it a even better deal

arsenal making it very clear Walcott can leave

20046683_10155779424810982_4704111174564312611_n.png

DBT85

Would getting NowTV and just paying for match days be more or less expensive? Can piggyback atm on my dad's sky go account and watch thru my ps4.

Plus in Ireland, sky gets a 3pm Saturday kickoff match so makes it a even better deal

Depends who you watch. A 24hr pass is like £7 so how many days do you want to watch.

Sky are currently desperate for subs so if you call you could probably get a good deal. As I said, I have 60% off sport and box sets. My dad has the full TV package which is usually £80 a month and I got him 60% off too.

arsenal making it very clear Walcott can leave

20046683_10155779424810982_4704111174564312611_n.png

Literally in the bin lol.

TimmmV

Instead, I for the first time just subscribed to sky Sport and BT sport, 8 years after leaving my parents home. Why? Because BT were offering half price and Sky gave me 60% off. So I get every broadcast PL game, FA Cup, league cup, CL and my F1 for £30.49 a month, much better than the sticker price of about £62 a month to get the pair on Sky (not including the base package).

This basically is what my point is though - would you be getting those packages if you had to pay full price?

I think plenty of the millennial generation would be prepared to pay £20-£30 a month for live PL football, but probably not much more than that, given that you can get free streams (and for every game, not just those offered by Sky/BT/whoever) at high quality extremely easily online.

Basically, the internet has broken the PL business model for our generation. The PL selling the monopoly on football rights to sky for huge amounts of money (that they then recoup from high cost of a sky sports sub) won't work in the long term, because people will just stream stuff if the price to see it legally is that high.

Chelsea's last minute scramble for a Striker will be GLORIOUS

Costa I don't even know what's happening right now, somehow ended up with the most commented Instagram post ever?
Loic Remy (about to be) injured
Can't start Batshuayi because who else will run the twitter account and enter in the 89th minute

Lukaku to Man Utd
Morata to Milan
Aubameyang deadline 8 days

help needed very urgent plz

For real I hope they simply buy a good back-up striker and start the season with Batshuayi.

acohrs

Depends who you watch. A 24hr pass is like £7 so how many days do you want to watch.

Sky are currently desperate for subs so if you call you could probably get a good deal. As I said, I have 60% off sport and box sets. My dad has the full TV package which is usually £80 a month and I got him 60% off too.

Literally in the bin lol.

Good to know, problem with Now TV is the initial installation and box fee. Think I will just stick to raiding my dad's sky go haha

DBT85

This basically is what my point is though - would you be getting those packages if you had to pay full price?

I think plenty of the millennial generation would be prepared to pay £20-£30 a month for live PL football, but probably not much more than that, given that you can get free streams (and for every game, not just those offered by Sky/BT/whoever) at high quality extremely easily online.

Basically, the internet has broken the PL business model for our generation. The PL selling the monopoly on football rights to sky for huge amounts of money (that they then recoup from high cost of a sky sports sub) won't work in the long term, because people will just stream stuff if the price to see it legally is that high.

I wouldn't (never had sports before) but many do, and the whole point is that sky don't have a monopoly on PL matches, they show 126, BT show 48. The competition has driven deals like this for consumers and price higher for the PL. I wouldn't be surprised to see BT get half the games in 2 years time, they have deep pockets.

Sky are actively changing as of yesterday, you can now have just the PL sport channel for £18 a month if you want it, down from £27.50 for the whole sport package.

If Amazon or Netflix were to try and get a package of matches in 2 years time, they'd be happy paying through the nose. Why? Because sport is one of the few things you can still sell and also get great numbers doing so.

The PL are actively working very hard to curb the piracy that they face just like any other media company. Hell, our output is delayed 2 seconds just so that it is now copyright, as you can't copyright a live broadcast apparently.

Beefy

I wouldn't (never had sports before) but many do, and the whole point is that sky don't have a monopoly on PL matches, they show 126, BT show 48. The competition has driven deals like this for consumers and price higher for the PL. I wouldn't be surprised to see BT get half the games in 2 years time, they have deep pockets.

Sky are actively changing as of yesterday, you can now have just the PL sport channel for £18 a month if you want it, down from £27.50 for the whole sport package.

If Amazon or Netflix were to try and get a package of matches in 2 years time, they'd be happy paying through the nose. Why? Because sport is one of the few things you can still sell and also get great numbers doing so.

The PL are actively working very hard to curb the piracy that they face just like any other media company. Hell, our output is delayed 2 seconds just so that it is now copyright, as you can't copyright a live broadcast apparently.

Netflix haven't got a chance. I can see Amazon trying it though

DBT85

Netflix haven't got a chance. I can see Amazon trying it though

Indeed, and they've the money to obliterate Sky if they wanted to.

But again, you only get what the PL give, and Amazon could come in tomorrow with a bid 10% higher than both BT and Sky and the PL wouldn't give them more than probably 30 games for the first contract.

TimmmV

Yeah, hopefully Sky changing their pricing is recognising the problem and adapting to it in advance. But that may well come with the cost that they end up paying the PL less for the domestic TV rights in the future. TV money going up and up isn't a sustainable business plan if it relies on the cost of subscription going up forever.

And the best thing the PL could do to curb piracy is to make streaming cheaper and easier to access for everyone - like Spotify and Netflix have done for music/films

acohrs

136 actually, they get more due to 3pm kick offs in Ireland

Moobabe

Rumours that Keita and Robertson to Pool are done, and that we're in "advanced talks" with Dortmund over Auba, with personal terms agreed,

Beefy

Rumours that Keita and Robertson to Pool are done, and that we're in "advanced talks" with Dortmund over Auba, with personal terms agreed,

Other rumours that RB Leipzig have said no. ��

Also:

Juventus signed De Sciglio from Milan for 12m€

BREAKING NEWS: Norwich accept bid from Newcastle for Jacob Murphy, according to Sky sources. #SSN

Sky Italy: Arsenal goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny on his way to Turin to sign for Juventus. €11- €12. Most clean sheets in Serie A last season

DBT85

For people who remember PL in the 90s but that would be like Newcastle and Kevin Keegan selling Andy "Andrew" Cole to Man Utd.

lol. You know how that whole thing started? A journo asked him the key footballing question, "What do your parents call you" he said Andrew, Journo then asks what he should call him and he says "well if they call me Andrew...".

And lo, it is reported he's a whiny cunt that now wants to be called Andrew lol

Pep allowing anything like that would be a huge mistake.

He can allow it all he likes but he isn't the last call on who stays or goes. He doesn't look like he is trying to push him out the door like he did with Hart either. (City still haven't got rid of Hart). But if Aguero wants to go then so be it.

lol. You know how that whole thing started? A journo asked him the key footballing question, "What do your parents call you" he said Andrew, Journo then asks what he should call him and he says "well if they call me Andrew...".

And lo, it is reported he's a whiny cunt that now wants to be called Andrew lol

Never knew that actually.

Icolin

Banned

Imagine a front 3 of Auba, Mane, and Salah...the PACE.

Besides that, Robertson is a solid, low risk and low cost addition, and Keita is the ball winning Kante lite we need.

TeddyBoy

I think Robertson is pretty much done, Keita I don't think we've even submitted a bid and Auba is pure FM crazy talk.

Di Marzio: PSG have bid for Neymar €222m!!!!!!!! Wtf

How can they do FFP if the deal happens?

Neymar is amazing, but sweet jesus!

FFP is dead btw, UEFA sort of gave up on the idea when it challenged in the courts IIRC.

Moobabe

Imagine a front 3 of Auba, Mane, and Salah...the PACE.

Besides that, Robertson is a solid, low risk and low cost addition, and Keita is the ball winning Kante lite we need.

Sorry! By "we" I meant Chelsea!

Still, I really like Robertson - looked good every time I saw him for Hull. Shame that Chelsea haven't gone in for him really - solid, good delivery, still young with plenty of room for growth. But instead we're trying to spunk off 60 million for Sandro.

Syder

Glad we're only signing Hart on loan. We already have Adrián and Randolph so there'll be pressure on whoever's starting to play to their best to stay in the team. I still think Adrián is the best keeper of the three but Bilić doesn't have faith in him.

Top Bottom