• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT2| Fractured but Ox

joombo

Banned
I used to play football in college now I'm just a big fan of this game. I just returned from my trip to Ukraine where visited local NSC Olimpiyskiy . Awesome feelings. I found info about all local destinations on worldstadia.com. Want to visit all famous stadiums one day.

Last edited:

Teslerum

What the hell is going on at Arsenal?! Since when we mad in the transfer window?!

Not in a long while thats for sure. We still need a centre back, but I'm hopeful for tomorrow.

Even Luiz as a quick koscielny replacement is ok with me if we're really getting him for under 8 Million.
Otoh, what are Chelsea smoking.

Also Koscielny has ruined 9 years at Arsenal with the way he behaved and especially that stupid announcement video. Jenko has contributed much less over the years, but he's going to be remembered much more fondly.

Mista

Banned
Not in a long while thats for sure. We still need a centre back, but I'm hopeful for tomorrow.

Even Luiz as a quick koscielny replacement is ok with me if we're really getting him for under 8 Million.
Otoh, what are Chelsea smoking.

Also Koscielny has ruined 9 years at Arsenal with the way he behaved and especially that stupid announcement video. Jenko has contributed much less over the years, but he's going to be remembered much more fondly.
Tierney coming so we covered an LB, I don’t mind Luiz although I don’t like him but better than Mustafi.

They way Koscielny left was very disrespectful. After all that Arsenal did to him that’s the way he decided to go? Fuck that cunt, I lost all the respect I had for him

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Luiz for cheap is a great stop gap until we can buy a long term solution at CB. Only two years in his contract and I think he’s on $110k a week.

Would have loved to get Upamecano but they wanted way too much for him.

Mista

Banned
Luiz for cheap is a great stop gap until we can buy a long term solution at CB. Only two years in his contract and I think he’s on $110k a week.

Would have loved to get Upamecano but they wanted way too much for him.
I never heard of this Upamecano until Arsenal showed interest in him and I don’t understand the sudden hype.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I never heard of this Upamecano until Arsenal showed interest in him and I don’t understand the sudden hype.

I hadn’t either but his stats and videos were damn good and being younger has potential to develop into a world class CB. Not worth their asking price though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teslerum

It's official, we got Luiz for 8 Million on a 2 year contract. Long enough to sort out our defense.

Still, again. What is Chelsea smoking? 8 million to your top4 rival? If I was on the other side I'd be hella pissed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It's official, we got Luiz for 8 Million on a 2 year contract. Long enough to sort out our defense.

Still, again. What is Chelsea smoking? 8 million to your top4 rival? If I was on the other side I'd be hella pissed.

Yeah pretty crazy. But bpparently he was being a locker room cancer and Lampard sent him away from training. Not much leverage there if a a player is forcing a move by being a negative influence on the team and apparently only wanted to go to one team.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I like Iwobi as a player, but this is good business. He's behind Pepe now and Nelson and other youngsters were nipping at his heels already to back him up and play the Cup games and early Europa League games.

That's money for the war chest that can hopefully by a CB in January.

Tierney is official as well.

And Nketiah loaned to Leeds for the season, good for him to go somewhere he can start and improve as he's the likely internal successor to Aubameyang.

No official world on Luiz yet, but all indications that it's a done deal for 8 million and just extension of time past the deadline (was noon EST) to complete the paperwork.

And in even better news, the Spurs didn't end up getting Dybala. :D

Teslerum

No official world on Luiz yet, but all indications that it's a done deal for 8 million and just extension of time past the deadline (was noon EST) to complete the paperwork.

BTW: That whole thing does result in top banter at least. I've seen multiple Chelsea fans going:

It's his decision if he wants to go to a club thats beneath us.... Uhhhh, he's not good anyway (but I still really like him and whydidyougo).

The salt is delicious. :messenger_beaming:

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
BTW: That whole thing does result in top banter at least. I've seen multiple Chelsea fans going:

It's his decision if he wants to go to a club thats beneath us.... Uhhhh, he's not good anyway (but I still really like him and whydidyougo).

The salt is delicious. :messenger_beaming:

Yep!

Also, won't bother linking but it is confirmed that they got the extension filed to have until this evening to get the paperwork for Luiz finalized.

Teslerum

Waste of 8m but whatever I’ll take that over Mustafi

Still better than Rugani (who imo would have been a long term and MUCH more costly mistake).
Rather wait for a transfer video to get some really decent defenders.
In the meanwhile, Luiz is one of the, if not the best passer from the back in the premier league and that does fit Emerys style. If he can ping some long balls for Pepe and Auba thats already something to look forward to.

Also technically that 8m was paid for by selling the smaller deadwood (Kos, Asano, Jenkinson, ...) so who cares.

*Nightwing

I am pissed as a Chelsea fan. I mean he wants to go, fine sell him for top dollar to China or let him pick a club anywherefuckingelse other than Arsenal. Not salty yet, that gonna come at the end of the season when they place above us since we weakened our defence and plugged up a hole in theirs.

Edit: Almost forgot.... while we are on a transfer ban?! Seriously?!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Waste of 8m but whatever I’ll take that over Mustafi

Mustafi will play still unfortunately, at least until Holding and Bellerin are fit.

This was needed as Koscielny left and they couldn’t get a deal done for Upamecano. No brainer IMO as It’s only 8 million, he’s on reasonable wages and only a two-year deal, fits Emery’s system with his great passing from the back, has a ton of success and experience in the league (on PL, CL and EL championship winning teams) and taking him weakens our main competition for 4th in the league.

We have the money from selling Iwobi and whoever else we sell between now and January/next summer to go back for Upamecano or another younger CB. Luiz isn’t going to light the world on fire, but he’s a great, cheap stop stop gap to have gotten at the end of the deadline vs not getting a CB at all.

Teslerum

I am pissed as a Chelsea fan. I mean he wants to go, fine sell him for top dollar to China or let him pick a club anywherefuckingelse other than Arsenal. Not salty yet, that gonna come at the end of the season when they place above us since we weakened our defence and plugged up a hole in theirs.

Edit: Almost forgot.... while we are on a transfer ban?! Seriously?!

I have no idea why, we have been linked with him (latest January 2018) before though. Most likely he didn't want to leave London, similiar to Giroud (which made Auba for us possible so not exactly the same situation, buuuut)

I'm not surprised that he wanted to leave though, an old teammate becoming your manager/boss is always a hairy situation. I still don't quite understand how you sold him for only 8 Million. I mean in todays market you still could have gotten between 15 and 20 easily. Was the situation THAT bad? Is Lampard such a hardliner or did he just not want the additional headache of spending another 6 months with him and establish a better deal?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not surprised that he wanted to leave though, an old teammate becoming your manager/boss is always a hairy situation. I still don't quite understand how you sold him for only 8 Million. I mean in todays market you still could have gotten between 15 and 20 easily. Was the situation THAT bad? Is Lampard such a hardliner or did he just not want the additional headache of spending another 6 months with him and establish a better deal?

From what I gathered, the situation was that bad. Luiz was being a cancer, was held out of training with the team to not be a distraction etc. Found an article or two that Luiz and Lampard had some beefs as teammates. Maybe they just hate each other and had another confrontation in training or whatever.

Not going to get much of a fee late in the game when a player is being a distraction and forcing a move right before the deadline.

Prison Mike

Banned
Norwich will get some spankings v top teams this year only grace is they have got at lpool think we (City) may have took those chances

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm making a new thread. Not as fancy as this but a new one for gods sake

When you make it I’d post it in the main off topic area where more people will see it.

I don’t think many come to off topic communities other than the people here for the Era thread. Also don’t see why a current season sports thread should be in the community area anyway.

Mista

Banned
When you make it I’d post it in the main off topic area where more people will see it.

I don’t think many come to off topic communities other than the people here for the Era thread. Also don’t see why a current season sports thread should be in the community area anyway.
Yes sir. That’s what will happen :)

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Not the most inspired performance from Arsenal, but absolutely can’t complain about three points and a clean sheet away with a squad missing several key players and bad weather. Especially given we had only one away clean sheet all of last season.

Hoping for a Chelsea-Man U draw to put them both 2 points back as that's of course our main competition for 4th.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Wow Chelsea blows. Looks like Man U is the main competition for 4th.

Teslerum

Wow Chelsea blows. Looks like Man U is the main competition for 4th.

To be honest, Man United looked for large parts far from solid, especially for a home game.
Us at full strength *should* take 4th easily enough.

For me its more how horrible Chelsea looked after the first 15-20 minutes. They visibly lack in several key areas and I personally think losing David Luiz hurt that backline more than they'd like to admit. Especially in leadership.

My prediction: I'm afraid Chelsea won't make Top 6 this year unless Pulisic has his best season yet.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest, Man United looked for large parts far from solid, especially for a home game.

For me its more how horrible Chelsea looked after the first 15-20 minutes. They visibly lack in several key areas and I personally think losing David Luiz hurt that backline more than they'd like to admit. Especially in leadership.

My prediction: I'm afraid Chelsea won't make Top 6 this year unless Pulisic has his best season yet.

Agreed. 4th should easily be ours if we stay healthy and play to our potential. We missed by only a point last year and have upgraded the squad a lot while United is about the same and Chelsea worse. We should be ending and neck with Spurs for third.

Going to be a tough year for Chelsea with a new, inexperienced coach, Hazard gone and the transfer ban.

Prison Mike

Banned
Agreed. 4th should easily be ours if we stay healthy and play to our potential. We missed by only a point last year and have upgraded the squad a lot while United is about the same and Chelsea worse. We should be ending and neck with Spurs for third.

Going to be a tough year for Chelsea with a new, inexperienced coach, Hazard gone and the transfer ban.
I think top 6 will be
City
Liverpool
Gunners
Spurs
Utd
Leicester

*Nightwing

my hope you are incorrect is lacking factual foundation after watching this fiasco :messenger_anxious:
David Luiz is a clown but a better clown than Zouma

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I think top 6 will be
City
Liverpool
Gunners
Spurs
Utd
Leicester

That’s a good bet. Third and fourth is a toss up between us and Spurs.

Fifth and sixth will be a battle between Man U, Leicester, Wolves and Everton.

Top Bottom