• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2019/2020 |OT| Does Your Team Got What It Takes To Be Crowned?

Meowzers

Welcome :messenger_grinning:

Did they fix the issues that led Swansea to get relegated? you were doing fine one season and then the next you crashed hard and got relegated.

Nah, we're still selling anyone that does well. Just happy at the moment we're not in financial trouble like Bolton. After the pandemic I'm not sure how we'll be.

Dark Rider

Nah, we're still selling anyone that does well. Just happy at the moment we're not in financial trouble like Bolton. After the pandemic I'm not sure how we'll be.

Yes sadly the pandemic messed up so many lives and livelihoods
I hope everything turns out fine in the end.

Hosam6xavi

Banned
The transition will happen during your next president time at the helm hence he will be responsible for setting up the team and building it so the transition does not effect Barcelona too much hence why I said the next president choice is VERY vital.

you really want Neymar back? I wouldn't personally if I was in your place.
Neymar will take some of the pressure from Messi shoulder

We need him

Dark Rider

No one can replace Messi not even in 100 years

PSG is not that professional club .. Barcelona is a different beast

When the club look desperate to a player like Neymar he will take advantage of you and under-perform while sucking large chunks of your budget. that is my prediction though and of course I could be wrong.
IF Neymar end back in Bareclona of course and he might just stay at PSG

Hosam6xavi

Banned
Newcastle £300m takeover agreed pending Premier League approval after filing of documents

This time it will happen? or is this a Mike Ashley masterclass? stay tuned.

Yep a lot of Saudi big accounts on Twitter start talking about this yesterday

Saudi public investment fund was planning to buy Manchester United but i don't know what has happened

I was supporting Manchester city because of pep .. if the deal is done sorry pep i love MBS more than you

DKehoe

I guess at least it would mean the Saudi royal family wouldn’t be buying Manchester United. I’d have a hard time continuing to support United if they became a PR exercise like City are for their owners. Particularly after the stuff the Saudis have done recently. It would probably mean United would do better but that’s just not worth it.

Dark Rider

Yep a lot of Saudi big accounts on Twitter start talking about this yesterday

Saudi public investment fund was planning to buy Manchester United but i don't know what has happened

I was supporting Manchester city because of pep .. if the deal is done sorry pep i love MBS more than you

Is there any talk about how they will go about the club? Manchester City style or Sheffield United style?

I guess at least it would mean the Saudi royal family wouldn’t be buying Manchester United. I’d have a hard time continuing to support United if they became a PR exercise like City are for their owners. Particularly after the stuff the Saudis have done recently. It would probably mean United would do better but that’s just not worth it.

Maybe the asking price plus dept didn't match up with how they wanted to turn profit and how fast they want it. I'm blindly speculating here of course.

Hosam6xavi

Banned
Is there any talk about how they will go about the club? Manchester City style or Sheffield United style?
No but i think it will be mix of them. prince abdullah bin mosaad is very intelligent man but he will never have the budget that Newcastle will have if the deal is done

DKehoe

Maybe the asking price plus dept didn't match up with how they wanted to turn profit and how fast they want it. I'm blindly speculating here of course.

Yeh the talk was the Glazers wanted $2.5 billion to sell. I'm not a fan of the Glazers and what their ownership has done to United. But I'll take them over the Saudi royal family any day.

Dark Rider

No but i think it will be mix of them. prince abdullah bin mosaad is very intelligent man but he will never have the budget that Newcastle will have if the deal is done

So Newcastle United will have the money to be top 4 and showing up in the UCL but not actually a threat to win them, interesting :pie_thinking:

Yeh the talk was the Glazers wanted $2.5 billion to sell. I'm not a fan of the Glazers and what their ownership has done to United. But I'll take them over the Saudi royal family any day.

I'm really wondering what the Glazers will do if United does not get European spot this season, I'm sure the sponsorship revenue will drop this season if you don't make it.

Dark Rider

Rodrygo’s agent on how Liverpool discovered him: "Klopp had gone on YouTube, searched ‘talents from Brazil’, Rodrygo had appeared and he was very young. He came to Brazil, and liked him.”.

Scouting via youtube? :messenger_hushed:

Dark Rider

Borussia Monchengladbach fans will be able to show their support if the Bundesliga resumes behind closed doors - with cut-outs of themselves in the stadium.

"we will always be there for you baby"

Too much money on the table for the BPL to not finish the season and give you your trophy to be honest.
But that is not related to finishing this season UCL anyway.

Isn't that also true for the UCL? I don't think they ever considered cancelling it as a real option, even if they have to finish it in the second half of the year.

Dark Rider

Isn't that also true for the UCL? I don't think they ever considered cancelling it as a real option, even if they have to finish it in the second half of the year.

Yes but they are trying to set a time frame when to finish it. I thought that piece of news is more about so when to finish it rather than if they will finish it.

The BPL on the other hand though....

Yes but they are trying to set a time frame when to finish it. I thought that piece of news is more about so when to finish it rather than if they will finish it.

The BPL on the other hand though....

Yeah, I think that time frame is extreme wishful thinking for both of them. The NBA is having some rumors about them finishing the season in a Vegas tournament, like isolate the teams for a while and have them play each other in single elimination games or something close to that in empty arenas. I have to wonder if something like that is an option here, otherwise it just won't happen.

Dark Rider

Yeah, I think that time frame is extreme wishful thinking for both of them. The NBA is having some rumors about them finishing the season in a Vegas tournament, like isolate the teams for a while and have them play each other in single elimination games or something close to that in empty arenas. I have to wonder if something like that is an option here, otherwise it just won't happen.

If they did the same for say the BPL then Liverpool could get eliminated and not win the trophy, are you sure you would happy with that style?

Dark Rider

Nope, I don't think that would be fair lol. But for the UCL it would make total sense.

Well the UCL is already in the elimination stages of the tournament so the only change is shifting from two legs to one leg BUT what about the the ties where one leg has been already played but they didn't play the second leg? I think those should be finished first at least before going into one leg for all.

Dark Rider

The Champions League will be finished in August according to Sky Sport Italia. Remaining Ro16-fixtures on August 7-8, QF first legs 11-12 and return legs 14-15. Semi final first legs Aug 18-19 second legs 21-22. The final on the 29th

An actual fleshed out schedule. Realistically though not likely.

Dark Rider

Anyone watching the Sunderland 'Til I Die series on Netflix? Pretty interesting - especially with no sports currently.

I keep hearing about it but never watched it tbh
Maybe if they make a documentary about Sunderland vs Newcastle United that is not one sided I'll be interested enough.
Are you enjoying it?

I keep hearing about it but never watched it tbh
Maybe if they make a documentary about Sunderland vs Newcastle United that is not one sided I'll be interested enough.
Are you enjoying it?

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it. I'm an Everton fan, but it's nice to see behind the scenes stuff regardless. Just gives a more in depth flavor and different perspective.

Dark Rider

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it. I'm an Everton fan, but it's nice to see behind the scenes stuff regardless. Just gives a more in depth flavor and different perspective.

I completely agree, those documentaries are valuable and it is always good for the sports to have them.
Imagine in 100 years people have the insights of how football is in our days, I wish we had in depth insight of football 100 years ago myself.

Dark Rider

Liverpool two wins from title: Times teams were denied by unexpected events

I don't think Liverpool will be denied though.

DKehoe

Newcastle takeover: Steve Bruce to be given time to prove himself as manager with Max Allegri, Mauricio Pochettino and Rafa Benitez among names linked with replacing Bruce

Big replacement names there, let us see how it all unfolds :pie_thinking:

Not a chance Bruce lasts into next season. As soon as they can line up a big name to replace him they will.

Dark Rider

Not a chance Bruce lasts into next season. As soon as they can line up a big name to replace him they will.

Yes but lining up the replacement would need time, they need to plan a whole new project and use it to compel those managers so Bruce getting another season is not hard to believe.
On the other hand maybe all it takes for those managers is just to show them a bag of money :messenger_tears_of_joy:

DKehoe

Yes but lining up the replacement would need time, they need to plan a whole new project and use it to compel those managers so Bruce getting another season is not hard to believe.
On the other hand maybe all it takes for those managers is just to show them a bag of money :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yeh I think there's gonna be a lot of money thrown around and that's going to make a big impression. Maybe they take the time to set up the team as being closer to the level of "The Big 6" before bringing in a new manager. But the flip side would be wouldn't that manager want to be able to build up the team in the way they want. Maybe we see something similar to City, where they brought in a Txiki Begiristain as Director of Football who knew what Pep would want and they then built the team with him in mind. Pochettino would be a great choice and right now he's doing nothing apart from collecting a pay cheque from Spurs.

Dark Rider

Yeh I think there's gonna be a lot of money thrown around and that's going to make a big impression. Maybe they take the time to set up the team as being closer to the level of "The Big 6" before bringing in a new manager. But the flip side would be wouldn't that manager want to be able to build up the team in the way they want. Maybe we see something similar to City, where they brought in a Txiki Begiristain as Director of Football who knew what Pep would want and they then built the team with him in mind. Pochettino would be a great choice and right now he's doing nothing apart from collecting a pay cheque from Spurs.

Yes but I think the big 6 doesn't cut it anymore because there is a huge gab between the top two and the 4 below them so I assume for those big names they will have to specify wanting to win leagues. They are in a bind for sure they need to buy players to show the managers they are serious but at the same time those managers won't just site down for a season waiting for the new owners to buy the players.
It all will come down to how much money bags they will offer those managers both for their own wages and for the transfer window I think.

mekes

I reckon the top 2 won’t last for long, one more season max, before it opens back up a little. MUTD will catch up, slower than expected in the previous long run but the buying power is always there. I think Chelsea will continue to invest, you would expect them to have a healthy balance on their books after the transfer ban. It is Spurs and Arsenal that I think may fuck their plans up. Spurs not realising that Mourinho is like a piece of fruit has has gone off and mouldy. Arsenal just seem to cultivate a mentally weak culture that has not changed since Wengers last 8 years or so. Too many hopeful flair purchases or players that just aren’t good enough. You think what they could do with a couple of big no nonsense reliable players in important positions on the field, but instead they buy players like David Luiz. Not forgetting that their owner has no interest in winning anything.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

beIN sport cannot block anything but the other clubs collectively might have a chance of doing something about it. beIN sport bringing the piracy issue is a point that the other clubs will most certainly care about but let us see how effective it is to persuade them.

I reckon the top 2 won’t last for long, one more season max, before it opens back up a little. MUTD will catch up, slower than expected in the previous long run but the buying power is always there. I think Chelsea will continue to invest, you would expect them to have a healthy balance on their books after the transfer ban. It is Spurs and Arsenal that I think may fuck their plans up. Spurs not realising that Mourinho is like a piece of fruit has has gone off and mouldy. Arsenal just seem to cultivate a mentally weak culture that has not changed since Wengers last 8 years or so. Too many hopeful flair purchases or players that just aren’t good enough. You think what they could do with a couple of big no nonsense reliable players in important positions on the field, but instead they buy players like David Luiz. Not forgetting that their owner has no interest in winning anything.

That depends really, having the buying power is very important indeed and it is still there for both Chelsea and United but as you pointed out it all in the end depend on the owners mentality (as you pointed out in Arsenal and Spurs cases)
United board does not inspire confidence atm to show they know how to get back on top and frankly they seem like they are fine with being a "top 4" team these days, same thing for Chelsea.
I think it is a matter if Liverpool and City will keep it up or start blundering more than the others catching up.

mekes

Dark Rider Dark Rider Oh I do think City and Liverpool will go off the boil too! With United I’m generally happy with how things are shaping up. I’m not sold on OGS but I do really like his additions to the squad and I wouldn’t currently change him, personally. The owners spend, but it looks like a pattern is emerging where they spend once fans get vocal. There is a lot of needless fluff the higher you get up at United tho, the owners could be a lot more positive with the way they run the club.

Dark Rider

Dark Rider Dark Rider Oh I do think City and Liverpool will go off the boil too! With United I’m generally happy with how things are shaping up. I’m not sold on OGS but I do really like his additions to the squad and I wouldn’t currently change him, personally. The owners spend, but it looks like a pattern is emerging where they spend once fans get vocal. There is a lot of needless fluff the higher you get up at United tho, the owners could be a lot more positive with the way they run the club.

They strike me as the type that are willing to sacrifice a little more than the fans like to in order to keep things profitable but the real question is at what level? you can be profitable at the highest level of football but that is very hard to balance and execute, on the other hand you can get better profit margins at say the top 6 level with much less effort and that is what I'm wondering about, will United owners go the harder route and earn titles along the way? or go the easier way and get the extra job to pacify the fans over time?

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Loris Karius set for Liverpool return after new wages row with Besiktas. Goalkeeper close to cancelling contract with the Turkish club. Karius filed complaint to Fifa alleging he is not being paid.

He's coming home, isn't he? all the memories as Liverpool GK :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Dark Rider

Following the postponement of EURO 2020 to the summer of 2021, the UEFA Executive Committee has decided that the tournament will still be known as UEFA EURO 2020.

It will be weird hearing that in 2021,

Top Bottom