• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2019/2020 |OT| Does Your Team Got What It Takes To Be Crowned?

I really think Everton will be in a relegation fight down the stretch, smh. Or maybe it won't even be a fight, they'll just be obviously on their way down.

Teslerum

Scrappy, but good win. Wasn´t the most exciting match, but we controlled the first half, and while Bournemouth came back in the second I can´t say it got really bad at any point. Chambers MOTM. Best loan decision in recent years.

Also for some reason 1 point behind City.

Prison Mike

Banned
Fucking terrible result today why he plays otamendi is beyond me I'd rather youngster in there and start Phil foden for fuck sake

cormack12

Gold Member
Can't lie pretty chuffed with the weekend. Lengthed the gap af the top. City will come storming back, they have too much quality not to.

From a neutral it's weird. City always seem to be on the verge of squeezing a goal, but the smaller teams seem to have figured out cut the low cross and the angled chip and that's 90% of their attacks. Usually they force a goal because they camp so high by virtue of pressure. But cannot deal with that counter attack at all.

Anyway no point getting too caught up. The first benchmark has always been game 19. If you have between 42-48 points at that time you should be In the mix.

Mourinho is rumored to be the frontrunner. Allegri also mentioned (as a Juventus supporter, I'd also vouch for Allegri over Mourinho) though I don't remember if he speaks English.

Poch sacked before Ole or Emery. Perish the thought.

DKehoe

Mad that Poch gets to the Champions League final and then gets sacked less than a season later. Amazon are doing one of those All Or Nothing series about Spurs this year. Should be quite a watch.

ROMhack

Ole out. Poch in?

Wouldn't mind that at all but I'm expecting him to wait around for better offers (e.g. Bayern).

Last edited:
Poch has been frustrated for a while that Tottenham never went full-in on their chance--it's insane to ask a manager to continuously discover diamonds in the rough to not just fill the squad, but to be their key pieces. To Poch's credit, he developed most of Spurs' stars to where they are today--Kane and Alli, and players that made it to the next level after coming to Tottenham (Eriksen, Son).

There were also reports that Poch's style works with guys who are looking to break through, but not so much on guys who already see themselves as having "made it", although whether that's true or not is anyone's guess.

I don't know if I'd want Poch immediately for United--they've been working (with some trial and error involved) to back Solskjaer and let him play out his vision, so all of a sudden swerving course would not be the greatest of moves methinks. Then again, it is United, so they might go for it anyway (and mess themselves up royally in the short term, IMO).

mekes

Mourinho and Daniel Levy, now that’s a strange pair. Mourinho has never worked well on a budget, he has always needed the biggest cheque book in his respective league to find meaningful success. And I’m not so sure his closed doors, us against the world mentality would be the best match for some of those players at Spurs. It certainly didn’t work very well at Chelsea last time or United. Plus there are all the rumours that Rui Faria leaving his side is a massive blow for him personally. And the fact that over the past 6 or so years he has developed a habit of blasting his players to the media.

Its a big name appointment but not one that will fill supporters with excitement for the right reasons in my opinion.

Very interesting as an outsider tho.

Last edited:
Mourinho and Daniel Levy, now that’s a strange pair. Mourinho has never worked well on a budget, he has always needed the biggest cheque book in his respective league to find meaningful success. And I’m not so sure his closed doors, us against the world mentality would be the best match for some of those players at Spurs. It certainly didn’t work very well at Chelsea last time or United. Plus there are all the rumours that Rui Faria leaving his side is a massive blow for him personally. And the fact that over the past 6 or so years he has developed a habit of blasting his players to the media.

Its a big name appointment but not one that will fill supporters with excitement for the right reasons in my opinion.

Very interesting as an outsider tho.

He won the Champion's League with Porto. He didn't have anywhere close to the biggest cheque book in that competition. I would argue he didn't have the biggest cheque book in Serie A, either, (Juventus) and still won the treble.

Mista

Banned
Will Tottenham provide Mourinho money? Because we all know that he’s the type that spends and can’t build a team

mekes

He won the Champion's League with Porto. He didn't have anywhere close to the biggest cheque book in that competition. I would argue he didn't have the biggest cheque book in Serie A, either, (Juventus) and still won the treble.

True, with Porto he didn’t. But he was blessed with inheriting a very special squad. And Juve around the time Mourinho was managing Inter, were finishing mid table. It was a crapshoot between the 2 Milan clubs in those years. I’m not trying to downplay Mourinho, he’s a great coach, but I don’t see this as an easy fit for Mour or Spurs.

True, with Porto he didn’t. But he was blessed with inheriting a very special squad. And Juve around the time Mourinho was managing Inter, were finishing mid table. It was a crapshoot between the 2 Milan clubs in those years. I’m not trying to downplay Mourinho, he’s a great coach, but I don’t see this as an easy fit for Mour or Spurs.
I agree with you, it's a weird one. I can't see it ending well. Also, reports that Mourinho is being paid twice what Poch was earning.

Night.Ninja

Banned
It’s about time poch got the boot.

we luckily got to CL final and if you take that away we have been shite for a long time, a change was needed.

Mista

Banned
It’s about time poch got the boot.

we luckily got to CL final and if you take that away we have been shite for a long time, a change was needed.
Like if you’ll be any better without him. Poch made a name for you lot and now he’s “bad”? Yeah yeah...

Night.Ninja

Banned
Like if you’ll be any better without him. Poch made a name for you lot and now he’s “bad”? Yeah yeah...

poch was another step in the journey 🤷‍♀️ Now we have a even better proven manager.

we have had poor results for a year now, how long would you like levy to wait 🤷‍♀️and things don’t look like there any getting better.

he’s had his time and it time to move on it is what it is

Mista

Banned
poch was another step in the journey 🤷‍♀️ Now we have a even better proven manager.

we have had poor results for a year now, how long would you like levy to wait 🤷‍♀️and things don’t look like there any getting better.

Mate, Poch made a team out of nothing. Would you imagine if those cunts at your club actually pays money what would’ve he done for the club? Bad decision and we all know that Mourinho without spending lots of money is nothing. You think Tottenham will give him that?

Night.Ninja

Banned
Mate, Poch made a team out of nothing. Would you imagine if those cunts at your club actually pays money what would’ve he done for the club? Bad decision and we all know that Mourinho without spending lots of money is nothing. You think Tottenham will give him that?

Poch stopped evolving lol it is what it is

drawing 1-1 with Sheffield United and makes an attacking sub at the 82nd minute 🤷‍♀️

he was losing his marbles he had done well in the past but the results were not where he knows they needed to be, I’m happy he’s gone anyway. He should have went last season and he probably would have went if we didn’t get to the champions league final

Honestly, I like Mourinho at Tottenham. I think he could actually do pretty good things with them and really shore up the team to be competitive.

The question is will the players follow him because I definitely feel like part of this Poch sacking is due to the players rebelling.

You're definitely on a journey under Mou.

mekes

My gut feeling with Mourinho, and stats back it. If the Spuds haven’t won anything after 2 years it’s only going to go downhill from there. I think it would be the most interesting thing, for Mourinho himself, if he can turn that stat around and show even a hint of having longevity at 1 club.

I mean if he fails, and there are concerns even on day one for manager and club... That’s 3 failures in a row for Maureen. A manager some say is out of touch in the modern game.

True, with Porto he didn’t. But he was blessed with inheriting a very special squad.
What? He built that squad almost from scratch, Porto was in their lowest point of the past 3 years when he joined them - They had 5 consecutive league wins, 94-99, and Mou was the one who gave them this century's first title, 2002-2003. Mou joined in 2002 and won the CL in 2004, building the squad with cheap players (at the time they went to Porto, of course their value skyrocketed after winning the CL) from smaller teams of the portuguese league.

Just looking at who played in the final against Monaco, he was directly responsible for right and left back (Nuno Valente - went with him from Leiria in 2002, Paulo Ferreira - went from Setubal in 2002), two midfielders (Maniche went from Benfica in 2002, Pedro Mendes went from Guimaraes in 2003), and both strikers (Derlei went with him and Nuno Valente from Leiria in 2002, and Carlos Alberto joined the club in January 2004).
He inherited the goalie (Vitor Baia), both center backs (Jorge Costa and Ricardo Carvalho, both born and raised in Porto, and two midfielders (Costinha and Deco), 5 out of 11.

That being said, after that I completely agree with you, he got used to spending when coaching in "big boys" teams, but coaching Abramovich's Chelsea or Real Madrid, where almost every wish you make comes true, how could he not spend millions and millions?
I'm very curious to see what he accomplishes at Tottenham, he will need to have an approach more similar to Porto than Real Madrid.

Yeah good call I mean all the other chasing teams hardly spent a penny yaaaaaawn how's that lemon taste

I’m a city fan, it just seems that the league is just using VAR and the refs to give the title to Liverpool, however after today’s debacle against fucking Newcastle it seems I was mistaken, City is fucking up on their own.

Prison Mike

Banned
I’m a city fan, it just seems that the league is just using VAR and the refs to give the title to Liverpool, however after today’s debacle against fucking Newcastle it seems I was mistaken, City is fucking up on their own.
Ah got ya yeah pep dropped a bollocks not getting defensive cover apart from laporte I trust none of our centre backs, walker is turning into a liability as well

cormack12

Gold Member
Such a good goal by De Bruyne for city too. Thought you'd put the pressure back on us. Shelvey shouldn't be scoring from there though with a side foot. Just seemed everyone gambled on the cross and you were caught out.

Dont think Brighton will be easy. They will have taken lessons from Napoli for sure.

Top Bottom