• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2019/2020 |OT| Does Your Team Got What It Takes To Be Crowned?

Dark Rider

[Onda Cero] Courtois could miss return game against Manchester City in CL following an injury during the Betis game.

For sure we will get eliminated, if anyone had any doubts just a reminder no ramos and now no courtois.

EDIT: Marcelo is out too by the way

Last edited:

Dark Rider

La Liga orders first and second division clubs to play the next two rounds behind closed doors

I wonder when the BPL will finally do this too.

EDIT: Speaking of the coronavirus
The owner of Olympiacos and Nottingham Forest, Vangelis Marinakis, has tested positive with coronavirus.

EDIT 2: high profile player may have coronavirus too
Kylian Mbappé, suffering from a sore throat, is now uncertain about tomorrow's reception in Dortmund. He has missed the last 2 days of training.

EDIT 3: OFFICIAL: ALL Ligue 1 & Ligue 2 matches behind closed doors until at least April 15.

Last edited:

DKehoe

One of my colleagues is a Spurs fan and had no faith in them for tonight. But I don't think he imagined them being 2-0 down already.

Dark Rider

Valencia Can't make it but at least making it a respectable exit should be the goal.
so far it is 3-6 on aggregate

EDIT: Valencia vs. Atalanta is for sure very entertaining for neutrals

EDIT 2:
RB Leipzig eliminated Tottenham Hotspur
Atalanta eliminated Valencia

Last edited:

mekes

This is my concern too. Fernandes has been fantastic but I wonder if teams will be able to shut him, and with him United's creativity, down by marking him out of the game. This is what happened a lot with Pogba. United relied so much on their game going through him that teams focused on neutralising him and it left United toothless. Fernandes could be even more susceptible to this as he doesn't have the physical element Pogba does.

I actually like Fernandes over Pogba for dealing with being marked. Its just my opinion of course but I think Bruno plays better in tight areas and brings more creativity in those spaces. I’m never a fan if a manager saying he wants to build the team around one player tho, like Ole did with Pogba. I think we have proven we aren’t dead without Pogba by this point. Still the same wildly inconsistent team. At this exact moment tho, I think we would be dead without Bruno! I do hope we get to see Bruno play with Pogba and Rashford before Pogba departs.

DonJorginho

Banned
Mourinho is well and truly dusted.

His "new way of football" has already turned into his pragmatic methods in record time.

And with the likes of Kane wanting to leave, I can't see Jose winning anything at Spurs.

Should have went to the French League.

Dark Rider

UCL results of the day:

Paris Saint-Germain eliminated Borussia Dortmund
Atlético Madrid eliminated Liverpool

Atlético won both games home and away beating Liverpool on aggregate 4-2

Real Madrid former playerS slayed Liverpool
Real Madrid send their regards :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:
Proud of this Reds squad, that Adrian error killed the game but they went out like gangsters and left it all in the field. I'm sad because they deserved better, but nights like this happen in football. Credit to Atletico for having balls of steel.

Kinda amazing how Liverpool were seemingly on top of all competitions, and now all that they have is the PL (which is still obviously a big deal to them).

On a petty note, I'm glad United played their games against Liverpool already so they don't have to give them a guard of honor. Very petty of me, but still.

cormack12

Gold Member
Oh well we went out. Firmino and salah have been off key loads on the last three months. Sloppy etc. Inevitable it would cost us at some point. League is the big prize though for us this season.

Adrian mistake gave them the foothold but we should have been more up at that time.

Oh well we went out. Firmino and salah have been off key loads on the last three months. Sloppy etc. Inevitable it would cost us at some point. League is the big prize though for us this season.

Adrian mistake gave them the foothold but we should have been more up at that time.

Yeah, Liverpool had their chances, but a top-notch performance by Oblak and some profligate finishing by Liverpool came back to bite them.

Next year, I hope United can gain maintain some consistency and the verve they've found since signing Bruno Fernandes, as well as getting back a healthy Rashford. On the plus side, Fred and McTominay have grown right before our very eyes.

Dark Rider

Liverpool is a very solid and a top team this season (even better than last season)
The BPL title is in the bag for a long while though and Liverpool for sure was aiming to do a UCL repeat and you can see that from the fans and especially the club players and staff. Yes Liverpool have been desperate to win the BPL to end their 30 years drought and to finally shut down the memes about not winning it BUT the BPL is already in the bag for a while so at the moment Liverpool eyes were set on the UCL having secured the BPL. Of course winning the BPL will heal so much wounds for Liverpool fans that will be more than enough if it was the only trophy Liverpool get this season but make no mistake about it Liverpool fans thought their team is the best in the world at the moment (which I disagree with) and the players and staff did too and wanted the UCL badly so pretending it was not a top priority for the players, staff and the fans in general at the time they got knocked out is just a mask.

Atlético were simply the better team, they won both games 4-2 on aggregate scoring 3 goals in Anfield. I know many think the way they played is not a dominating performance but I think that is down to people having the mind frame that only attacking football can be a dominating performance which I disagree with. Defensive football can also be a dominating way to play if the defensive team showed on the field that their opponents can attack for the next year and still not be able to best them and I think Atlético have succinctly demonstrated that in Anfield (which Liverpool fans, players and staff touted as a fortress of hell that Atlético need to be scared of) on top of actually winning both games home and away.

Winning the UCL back to back to back is out of reach for this Liverpool team for sure :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Teslerum

Decisive wins in the europa league so far, United murdered LASK 0-5 and Basel did the same to Frankfurt with 0-3 win.

Well, I guess Frankfurt still has a minimalistic chance to come back from this. 3-4 goals against a tough to break down Basel is a lot though.

Dark Rider

La Liga postponed

Decisive wins in the europa league so far, United murdered LASK 0-5 and Basel did the same to Frankfurt with 0-3 win.

Well, I guess Frankfurt still has a minimalistic chance to come back from this. 3-4 goals against a tough to break down Basel is a lot though.

I think both these ties are done and dusted personally.

Dark Rider

Following the quarantine imposed on players of Juventus and Real Madrid CF, the following UEFA Champions League matches will not take place as scheduled.
UEFA Champions League, Round of 16:
  • Manchester City FC – Real Madrid CF, 17 March, 21:00CET
  • Juventus – Olympique Lyonnais, 17 March, 21:00CET

I hope all injured players are back whenever these matches take place.

mekes

Hudson Odoi has tested positive for Coronavirus. So that is Arsenal, Leicester and now Chelsea on lockdown and all self isolating.

There's no way that the PL remains stubborn in the face of the other big leagues suspending their leagues, and now with players and coaches testing positive. Suspend the league for fuck's sake.

Not just the players, but their loved ones and the club employees are all at risk.

Dark Rider

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Football will be back sooner or later

Lets hope everyone come back healthy. I think the biggest problem will be the players being out of shape and off their game after this.

My question for everyone is: how do you think each competition will be decided?
The most popular options are canceling them, awarding honours as things stand now, doing play offs when applicable and lastly just continuing where it all left off.

Sleepydays

Banned
If Celtic get denied their 9 in a row tainted titles by the stoppage, I'll be more worried about dying from laughing than catching corona.

Dark Rider

If Celtic get denied their 9 in a row tainted titles by the stoppage, I'll be more worried about dying from laughing than catching corona.

If the league get voided they still get a chance to make it next season though.
Same thing in England with people hoping the league get voided to deny Liverpool their title this season.

Dark Rider

Manchester City’s appeal against their two-year UEFA ban is up in the air as the CAS in Switzerland deals with the impact of the coronavirus. The court has already postponed three hearings and has 16 cases scheduled until May 18th, with the City case not yet listed.

Sorry I couldn't resist posting this banter news :pie_roffles:

Emergency PL meeting on Thursday to discuss what happens next. West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady says in The Sun: “The only fair and reasonable thing to do is declare the whole season null and void. A huge blow to Liverpool who might be robbed of their first title for 30 years”

in other funny news:
Leganés simulating their postponed match vs. Real Valladolid on Twitter, including fictional lineups and match events and declared they defeated Real Valladolid by 2-1

Watford resort to simulating their fixture with Leicester using Football Manager

Last edited:

Dark Rider

UEFA has decided that the European Championship is postponed to 2021. It will be played from 11 June to 11 July next year. More information coming.

A full year is an over kill imho, IF this end up being true and not just a suggestion
and June to July? usually it is over by May

EDIT: WAIT this is about the EURO :messenger_hushed:
I guess it make sense.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Fucking Liverpool :messenger_tears_of_joy:

They lose the invisibles tag.
They get kicked out of the CL in a crushing upset.
Now they are going to "lose" a league after being up 20+ points with ManCity throwing the towel.

I like Liverpool, but the universe can be ironically cruel with them at times.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Fucking Liverpool :messenger_tears_of_joy:

They lose the invisibles tag.
They get kicked out of the CL in a crushing upset.
Now they are going to "lose" a league after being up 20+ points with ManCity throwing the towel.

I like Liverpool, but the universe can be ironically cruel with them at times.

Atlético started it all when they beat Liverpool in the first leg. That being said imho it is totally unfair to Liverpool to be denied the domestic BPL title this season. Ideally the league should resume sometime in the future but if it doesn't then they should get the trophy anyway. The fact that the Euro got postponed help a lot timing wise. And yes they got knocked out of the champions league by Atlético and it was completely down to Atlético being simply better than Liverpool during those matching, it has nothing to do with the universe being cruel or anything.

EDIT:

European Leagues commit to complete all domestic competitions by 30 June if the situation improves.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

On stupid acts news: Luka Jovic has been reported by Serbian police He broke his quarantine to travel to Belgrade for his girlfriend's birthday

And as a consequence: Serbia hits out at Jovic: "Unfortunately, we have negative examples being set by our football stars.They earn millions and ignore mandatory self-isolation orders upon returning home. If he leaves his apartment he'll be arrested"

Dark Rider

In fun news: La Liga teams play a FIFA tournament. Each team elect a player to represent them.
Real Madrid (represented by Marco Asensio) are #LaLigaSantanderChallenge champions!
Note: The donations are for covid19

Must feel kinda weird to play as yourself in a video game. Lord knows I've cussed out a lot of players when they fuck up a chance at FIFA or PES lol

And yes they got knocked out of the champions league by Atlético and it was completely down to Atlético being simply better than Liverpool during those matching, it has nothing to do with the universe being cruel or anything.

In no universe Atletico were better in the second leg. If you play that match like 100 times in the way it was played, Liverpool win it 98 times. Football is an awesome sport because that 2% thing could always happen, but let's not make shit up.

Top Bottom