• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2019/2020 |OT| Does Your Team Got What It Takes To Be Crowned?

Dark Rider

Mane was rumored for a bit, not sure how much truth there is to that. I really hope Liverpool keeps that trio for a long time, such an explosive combination of skills and not much overlap between them. They all contribute with something different and that's part of what makes this Liverpool team so good, there just isn't any redundancy between them especially when Fabinho was fit.

It's not real but it is very effective in getting clicks in the UK so the UK news are running with it to extract revenue in these difficult times. So rest assured and don't worry Mane is staying in Liverpool.

Dark Rider

Arancha Rodríguez: The quarantine of Real Madrid players ends today. No other cases of COVID-19 were detected.

Good news for us :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun
Reactions: GHG

Dark Rider

Bild: Chelsea are interested in Manuel Neuer, Frank Lampard isn't 100% satisfied with record signing Kepa Arrizabalaga. Neuer's future at Bayern is in doubt after contract negotiations have stalled due to Neuer asking for a long contract and the overall package being too big.

IF (and this is a BIG IF) this happens does this mean Bayern are looking to steal Ter Stegen from Barcelona?

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Sky Sports and BT Sport are open to showing all Saturday 3pm games on TV if the season is completed behind closed doors.

This rule in England has always been stupid and greedy.

Dark Rider

Rivals such as Liverpool, Man Utd and Arsenal launch bid to stop Man City playing in Europe

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

To add to this the clubs in question are:

1-Liverpool
2-Leicester City
3-Chelsea
4-Manchester United
5-Wolverhampton Wanderers
6-Tottenham Hotspur
7- Arsenal
8-Burnley

I wonder how Pep are feeling about Mikel Arteta? Will Mista Mista mediate this one?

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Source at UEFA: leagues who void seasons could find it difficult to nominate UCL and UEL reps, ESPECIALLY if other leagues complete their comps. Non-completion could lead to non-qualification, could be seen that teams did not qualify if voided, brings coefficient issues also.

GHG

Gold Member
Sky Sports and BT Sport are open to showing all Saturday 3pm games on TV if the season is completed behind closed doors.

This rule in England has always been stupid and greedy.

If anything good comes of this it will be a change to this archaic and boneheaded rule.

It feels wrong that I can legally watch all the 3pm Premier League games live in 4k from over 3000 miles away but those in the UK have to resort to watching Chris Kamara spit bars into a microphone on soccer Saturday.

Dark Rider

If anything good comes of this it will be a change to this archaic and boneheaded rule.

It feels wrong that I can legally watch all the 3pm Premier League games live in 4k from over 3000 miles away but those in the UK have to resort to watching Chris Kamara spit bars into a microphone on soccer Saturday.

I have a feeling that even if they aired them during this pandemic they will revert back to banning it once everything is back to normal.

GHG

Gold Member
I have a feeling that even if they aired them during this pandemic they will revert back to banning it once everything is back to normal.

Once they remove the ban then I don't think they could possibly justify a case for it to return.

The whole reason it exists is because there were originally fears that if all the 3PM games were televised then it would result in a reduction in gate-receipts for football clubs since fans would have an excuse to not go to games. This has obviously proven to be bullshit many times over and the fans who are willing to and want to go to games are not the same fans who are happy to sit on their arse at home and "support" their club from behind a TV screen.

I honestly think once this rule is gone it will be gone forever.

Dark Rider

Once they remove the ban then I don't think they could possibly justify a case for it to return.

The whole reason it exists is because there were originally fears that if all the 3PM games were televised then it would result in a reduction in gate-receipts for football clubs since fans would have an excuse to not go to games. This has obviously proven to be bullshit many times over and the fans who are willing to and want to go to games are not the same fans who are happy to sit on their arse at home and "support" their club from behind a TV screen.

I honestly think once this rule is gone it will be gone forever.

I know the silly reason and my cynical feeling is because despite them knowing the reason does not hold up to scrutiny the rule is still in place today. It is possible that they go away with it as you said but I just feel they will try to reinstate it first and see if they can get away with it.

Dark Rider

Neville:"There were 2-3 times at Valencia when I felt totally out of my depth going up against coaches.One was Valverde at Athletic, he changed shape 2-3 times in the game and was always one step ahead. Another was Simeone. He was toying with me and slowly choking me to death in a football sense"

GHG

Gold Member
Neville:"There were 2-3 times at Valencia when I felt totally out of my depth going up against coaches.One was Valverde at Athletic, he changed shape 2-3 times in the game and was always one step ahead. Another was Simeone. He was toying with me and slowly choking me to death in a football sense"

Respect to him for admitting this. I think he's a very good pundit, it will be interesting to see if he ever decides to give it another stab.

Dark Rider

Respect to him for admitting this. I think he's a very good pundit, it will be interesting to see if he ever decides to give it another stab.

Speaking his mind is always good even when I disagree with him.
I think he said recently he will never be a coach/manager ever again? could be wrong.

Dark Rider

Trippier comparing Spain to England: In England, sometimes if a player is not playing, they can be angry - everyone wants to get picked - but here, it just shows how good the man-management is as everyone is laughing and joking and you don't see anyone disappointed.

I don't think this is entirely accurate but hey at least he's happy.

Dark Rider

Deportes Cuatro: Real Madrid will not force it's players and other employees to take a pay cut because the club is in a very stable state financially and is ready to face such circumstances without any problems.

I'm not worried about the big players they have enough to be fine but this is good for the small employees so I like this.

Dark Rider

Luis Enrique: "I only knew Sergio Ramos from references and from having played against him. When I met him, I was pleasantly surprised; there is a reason why he holds [Spain's] record for international appearances. I was surprised by his leadership skills and personal qualities."

He's sadly nearing his retirement and will leave a very BIG shoes to fill as our captain :messenger_anxious:

Dark Rider

in funny rumours news:

Simon Mullock: Man City believe Arsenal behind Premier League club plot to have UEFA ban upheld

Mikel Arteta is going ham on his former mentor and former club

• LOL

GHG

Gold Member
in funny rumours news:

Simon Mullock: Man City believe Arsenal behind Premier League club plot to have UEFA ban upheld

Mikel Arteta is going ham on his former mentor and former club

The ghost of Wenger lives on.

Our whole plan since the beginning of the Emirates Stadium era was built on the basis that UEFA would uphold FFP rules.

Ramos: "After the equaliser against Atletico in the CL Final, I said 'I can die in peace'. It is the goal of my life"

Lionel Richie Lionel Richie :messenger_beaming:

How much of a fan favorite is he? I guess a lot lol he's that kind of player every other fanbase loves to hate, which makes him even more beloved. That's Henderson on the current Liverpool team I guess, although I have seen a lot of people calling Van Dijk overrated lately.

DKehoe

How much of a fan favorite is he? I guess a lot lol he's that kind of player every other fanbase loves to hate, which makes him even more beloved. That's Henderson on the current Liverpool team I guess, although I have seen a lot of people calling Van Dijk overrated lately.

I don't think Henderson or Van Dijk have the shithousery component that Ramos has. The Liverpool equivalent of him is probably Robertson. Although honestly, that Liverpool team is annoyingly likeable.

Dark Rider

The ghost of Wenger lives on.

Our whole plan since the beginning of the Emirates Stadium era was built on the basis that UEFA would uphold FFP rules.

How Arsenal was run financially played a BIG part imho in how Arsenal as a club and fans (and of course Wenger himself) feel about Manchester City dealings so I'm not surprised at all IF it is true. However I cant help but feel that for Arsenal board part of the reason they run the club financially the way they did was just to save money and be stingy under the excuse of the FFP. Don't get me wrong following the FFP rules IS absolutely the moral thing to do but I feel they did it for the other reason secretly :messenger_grinning_squinting:

He's an ABSOLUTE LEGEND and captain for Real Madrid and Spain
He is one of the best in football and for the books for sure and a name that will be forever in the club and country history books. He is a leader on the pitch and make a huge impact and we dread the day he retires.

Ramos is beloved by us and respected by all including our rivals and enemies.

Dark Rider

Meanwhile in Germany

Dortmund Boss Watzke reveals in the Bild interview that the basic idea for the 20 million aid fund for the financially endangered Bundesliga clubs because of Covid-19 came from FC Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.

That is a beautiful gesture and I hope it works out for the smaller clubs.

Mista

Banned
Meanwhile in Germany

Dortmund Boss Watzke reveals in the Bild interview that the basic idea for the 20 million aid fund for the financially endangered Bundesliga clubs because of Covid-19 came from FC Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.

That is a beautiful gesture and I hope it works out for the smaller clubs.

Aren't Bayern players are the only ones that decided to cut their salaries by 20% for support? This is great. Haven't seen any other club do it

Dark Rider

Aren't Bayern players are the only ones that decided to cut their salaries by 20% for support? This is great. Haven't seen any other club do it

Actually many players and staff from many clubs did get pay cuts.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
How Arsenal was run financially played a BIG part imho in how Arsenal as a club and fans (and of course Wenger himself) feel about Manchester City dealings so I'm not surprised at all IF it is true. However I cant help but feel that for Arsenal board part of the reason they run the club financially the way they did was just to save money and be stingy under the excuse of the FFP. Don't get me wrong following the FFP rules IS absolutely the moral thing to do but I feel they did it for the other reason secretly :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Yeh I think there is a bit of a smokescreen going on in that regard (using FFP as an excuse for our lack of competitiveness in recent years) however Wenger was so entrenched in his morals that he would pull out of deals for players if he felt their agent (or an associate) had done something bad at some point in their past then he would pull out of the deal.

Since he's gone there's now a much bigger pool of players we can go after because there is no longer an "agent blacklist". The irony is that we are now in a worse position than ever and nobody decent wants to come to us anymore :messenger_pensive:

Dark Rider

Yeh I think there is a bit of a smokescreen going on in that regard (using FFP as an excuse for our lack of competitiveness in recent years) however Wenger was so entrenched in his morals that he would pull out of deals for players if he felt their agent (or an associate) had done something bad at some point in their past then he would pull out of the deal.

Since he's gone there's now a much bigger pool of players we can go after because there is no longer an "agent blacklist". The irony is that we are now in a worse position than ever and nobody decent wants to come to us anymore :messenger_pensive:

Wenger imho was actually holding Arsenal club together and filling the huge cracks and the fans did not realize that he actually squeezed the best results for your players and your budget. The villain was the board and Wenger was getting the best out of what he have. His biggest fault was that he went soft on the players in his last 8 years or so.

And I think you are having trouble getting top players because your board won't pay the money and Arsenal are struggling to be a threat in Europe.

Fc Barcelona fan

Welcome :messenger_grinning:

How do you feel about the current saga between the board and the players? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Inside the 1915 match-fixing scandal that saw Liverpool let Manchester United win to secure the Red Devils' top flight place while relegating Chelsea and Tottenham

Chelsea were given their spot back while spurs were not and had to be in the second division.
Arsenal was voted to replace spurs despite Arsenal finishing 5th in the second division.
drama

mekes

Sky Sports - Harry Kane refuses to rule out future Tottenham exit

Where would he go though?

United have been linked but it is just paper talk at this point. I don’t want him at United, not at the expense of buying midfield and winger options at least.

Dark Rider

United have been linked but it is just paper talk at this point. I don’t want him at United, not at the expense of buying midfield and winger options at least.

You will buy a midfield player even if Pogba stayed?
Also can you please keep Pogba?

DKehoe

Yeh, Kane is obviously good that's not a role United need to splash a lot of money on right now. RW and DM are more pressing.

You will buy a midfield player even if Pogba stayed?
Also can you please keep Pogba?

United need a DM to replace Matic long term. McTominay, Fred and Fernandes worked well but they need more depth there. I hope they do keep Pogba too. When Solskjaer first took over Pogba looked like the best player in the league then teams learned he was United's sole source of creativity and would just mark him out of the game. With the rest of the team playing better I think he can have a bigger impact as their play won't just be going through him all the time.

Dark Rider

I am assuming Pogba will leave. But it Is 2020 and everything about this year has been a surprise so far 🤣
United need a DM to replace Matic long term. McTominay, Fred and Fernandes worked well but they need more depth there. I hope they do keep Pogba too. When Solskjaer first took over Pogba looked like the best player in the league then teams learned he was United's sole source of creativity and would just mark him out of the game. With the rest of the team playing better I think he can have a bigger impact as their play won't just be going through him all the time.

I agree but I worry United fail to convince him to stay if they don't have UCL football for another year. Splashing more money on him could work but it could fail too, then there is his agent which is a nother whole problem in itself.

Last edited:

DKehoe

I agree but I worry United fail to convince him to stay if they don't have UCL football for another year. Splashing more money on him could work but it could fail too, then there is his agent which is a nother whole problem in itself.

Yeh, true. And to be honest I wouldn’t blame him for leaving. United have consistently underperformed pretty much the whole time he’s been with the club and haven’t regularly been in the Champions League, which is something a player of Pogba’s ability should be expecting to play in year in and year out. Then there’s the scrutiny he gets from the media here. Not that he’s exempt from being criticised since he can be frustrating. But the level he gets is so out of proportion to what’s deserved. So committing himself long term to United could be a big ask.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Yeh, true. And to be honest I wouldn’t blame him for leaving. United have consistently underperformed pretty much the whole time he’s been with the club and haven’t regularly been in the Champions League, which is something a player of Pogba’s ability should be expecting to play in year in and year out. Then there’s the scrutiny he gets from the media here. Not that he’s exempt from being criticised since he can be frustrating. But the level he gets is so out of proportion to what’s deserved. So committing himself long term to United could be a big ask.

To be honest if he played his best always like a professional then I would be on his side regarding being heavily criticised by the media but he killed more games than saved and in those that he played bad he really destroyed United performance (the main reason I don't want him in my teams as I don't like these type of moody players to destroy my team performance)
So yes it's on him and also he is part of the reason United are in the spot they are in at the moment as I'm sure his mood and performance on the pitch suck the life out of the locker room too.

Dark Rider

Their top player saying this. What a legend lol

I don't think this is the first time he said something similar. I don't know if it's a pressure tactic from Kane to get a better contract or a pressure tactic to buy better players and do better domestically and in Europe or maybe both. Of course there is the possibility that he just want to leave to another team that is a favorite to win trophies and he knows he will get more money out of it too. I wonder how Spurs fans feel about it.

Mista

Banned
I don't think this is the first time he said something similar. I don't know if it's a pressure tactic from Kane to get a better contract or a pressure tactic to buy better players and do better domestically and in Europe or maybe both. Of course there is the possibility that he just want to leave to another team that is a favorite to win trophies and he knows he will get more money out of it too. I wonder how Spurs fans feel about it.
He's still a cunt for saying that publicly no matter what are his intentions

mekes

Hearing the truth sucks, but then players staying dead silent whilst the rumours surge and refusing to answer questions on their future before inevitably leaving... That also sucks.

Pogba as an example again. I do respect him a lot more for stating he wanted that new challenge last summer. It just clarifies things for the fans who are the most invested and collectively, definitely care more one way or the other.

Those quotes are still a bitter pill for the Spuds tho.

Dark Rider

Hearing the truth sucks, but then players staying dead silent whilst the rumours surge and refusing to answer questions on their future before inevitably leaving... That also sucks.

Pogba as an example again. I do respect him a lot more for stating he wanted that new challenge last summer. It just clarifies things for the fans who are the most invested and collectively, definitely care more one way or the other.

Those quotes are still a bitter pill for the Spuds tho.

They do disturb the locker room for sure and to be honest they are sometimes just weapons in negotiations so don't always take what they say as their true feelings/intentions. It is bad either way though for different reasons.

These questions can put the players in a tough spot too because if they just confess their undying commitment the club might take advantage of them and if they use them as a weapon to strong arm the club then the fans will vilify them.

Then again there are players who get good contracts without all the drama, personally I take them on case by case basis.

Top Bottom