• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2020/2021 |OT| Attending every single game from our home stands.

Dark Rider

It hurts for United to take loses like these but I’m hoping it gives them the kick up the arse they need to finally sort out the organisation of the club. It seems like opinion is turning against the Glazers more and more. Ex-United pundits like Neville had actually gone pretty easy on them before but are now starting to ask serious questions about how things are done. The club being publicly shamed like that might be the only hope we as fans have for change to come about.

The good news for Manchester United is that if the owners really want to change things they and the club actually have the financial power to do it and elevate themselves.
The bad news is the owners are not interested in any change that can potentially cut into the money profits.

tryDEATH

It hurts for United to take loses like these but I’m hoping it gives them the kick up the arse they need to finally sort out the organisation of the club. It seems like opinion is turning against the Glazers more and more. Ex-United pundits like Neville had actually gone pretty easy on them before but are now starting to ask serious questions about how things are done. The club being publicly shamed like that might be the only hope we as fans have for change to come about.

The crazy thing is there isn't a shortage of Billionaires salivating at the chance of buying United to invest and turn it back into the giants they once were.

But I just don't see the Glazers selling anytime soon just like Kroenke, the money is simply too easy right now. You don't need to win anymore to make stupid amounts of money, so dormant owners like Kroenke and Glazers are fine with this mediocracy, which is obviously great for a team like Spurs as we have been able to catch up and at this point even overtake both clubs on the field and club infrastructures.

DKehoe

Gold Member
The crazy thing is there isn't a shortage of Billionaires salivating at the chance of buying United to invest and turn it back into the giants they once were.

But I just don't see the Glazers selling anytime soon just like Kroenke, the money is simply too easy right now. You don't need to win anymore to make stupid amounts of money, so dormant owners like Kroenke and Glazers are fine with this mediocracy, which is obviously great for a team like Spurs as we have been able to catch up and at this point even overtake both clubs on the field and club infrastructures.

I wonder if there really are that many. The talk before was that there would be a 4 billion price tag on the club. It seems like these rich figures prefer to take teams with a smaller reputation (Chelsea, City, Wolves, Leicester, PSG) and therefore a smaller price tag and build them up. There was the link with the Saudi royal family, but I’d hate to see that happen.

Kronke with Arsenal is the sort of attitude I worry about. That the Glazers have a model where being in and around the top four regularly means they can take a lot of money out of the club. A proper title push would mean an investment that’s just too much of a risk to them.

Also because Woodward was instrumental in helping them organise the purchase of the club they seem happy to let him run it however he sees fit, letting him play his own real life version of Football Manager, having the glitz and glamour of planning the transfers of big names despite having no experience in the area. A Director Of Football, someone to implement a cohesive vision and run things smoothly, is so badly needed. I think this is a bigger issue than anything else.

cormack12

Gold Member
What a fkn crazy game. Villa full value for the win but weve been shocking. Im just glad im older now, thst shit would have ruined my month when I was younger.

tryDEATH

What the fu*k is going on in the EPL this year. I really think the lack of supporters is unleashing players true ability. The intimidation factor in nonexistent and teams and players are just going for it.

7-2 to Villa is just absurd and it topped a 6-1 win by Spurs vs United.

DKehoe

Gold Member
giphy.mp4

Oof. High line getting exposed like crazy, Trent sucking ass right now, VVD also looks a bit slow, Adrian isn't good enough to be the backup keeper, Wijnaldum and Keita can fuck right off my midfield, Minamino needs to be loaned. There was some bullshit in this game, like 3 goals off deflections. Still we deserved that dicking, very poor performance all around especially in the second half.

Dark Rider

[Goal] Manchester United chief executive Ed Woodward still believes Borussia Dortmund will lower their asking price for Jadon Sancho, according to The Times. Tomorrow is transfer deadline day.

Dark Rider

[Simon Stone]OGS: "I am responsible for this. It hurts. It is embarrassing. I promise I will do everything I can to turn things round."

DKehoe

Gold Member

Seems to be a very talented young player that’s highly rated by those who have seen him. So one to watch for the future.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

that just confirms no first team RW signing... gotta hope greenwood defies logic and has a great consistent season for a teenager then...

Cavani will help but when you have james, lingard and mata as back up wingers its not looking good for being ready for a long hard season

Last edited:

DKehoe

Gold Member
that just confirms no first team RW signing... gotta hope greenwood defies logic and has a great consistent season for a teenager then...

Cavani will help but when you have james, lingard and mata as back up wingers its not looking good for being ready for a long hard season

They are also apparently signing Pellistri, an 18 year old Uruguayan right winger. I’d heard him talked about a few months back so it seems he’s been on their list for a while. And the Dembele rumours are still going on. Still all feels very last minute panic buying.

synchronicity synchronicity Are you ok after that Liverpool scoreline?

I'm mildly content.

nyUe6EJ.gif

Seriously though, to wake up and see us at the top of the table and to watch that drubbing that Liverpool received is about as sweet as it gets.

What's gotten into Villa though? (They were the beneficiary of some crazy good fortune to be fair though.)

You never know how things play out in a long season, so I'll smile while the sun is shining.

Azurro

Banned
We got Chiesa and let Douglas "Crystal Man" Costa go on loan to Bayern while De "Useless on both flanks" Sciglio went to Lyon. Very nice end of the Mercatto, just too bad that fucking Khedira is still stealing a living and refused to leave.

We got Chiesa and let Douglas "Crystal Man" Costa go on loan to Bayern while De "Useless on both flanks" Sciglio went to Lyon. Very nice end of the Mercatto, just too bad that fucking Khedira is still stealing a living and refused to leave.
Stealing a living and perfectly happy to do so.

Comes down to Marotta signing that extension for Khedira when it made absolutely zero sense. Made no sense then, makes no sense now.

Dark Rider

Welcome to the Football thread :messenger_beaming:
I assume you support Manchester United? :pie_thinking:

I'm mildly content.

nyUe6EJ.gif

Seriously though, to wake up and see us at the top of the table and to watch that drubbing that Liverpool received is about as sweet as it gets.

What's gotten into Villa though? (They were the beneficiary of some crazy good fortune to be fair though.)

You never know how things play out in a long season, so I'll smile while the sun is shining.

I can imagine you in that wwe new day popcorn gif while you watch it.

I do. Their group is too easy.

but third spot mean they win EL trophy (and they did exactly that before too) :pie_thinking:

Hahaha. Of all the players to do this with. What a club.

Imagine Barto being able to do Ed in transfers.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

Welcome to the Football thread :messenger_beaming:
I assume you support Manchester United? :pie_thinking:
thanks

and correct, been a massive fan since we moved here from turkey in 99 and man utd was the only team i knew 😆

its been a disheartening few years with the boards aim being competing for top 4 rather than titles.

Dark Rider

thanks

and correct, been a massive fan since we moved here from turkey in 99 and man utd was the only team i knew 😆

its been a disheartening few years with the boards aim being competing for top 4 rather than titles.

Will they offer Wenger a contract if they sack OGS?

Dibils2k

^ exactly, at this point i dont care who our manager is because as soon as we get CL the ambition will be gone and manager will take blame

if we failed to make CL last season Sancho would be a man utd player right now

Dark Rider

I’d hope they’d go after Nagelsmann or Pochettino. But the club also have bigger problems to solve higher up that won’t be fixed by sacking the manager.

It was a joke about the higher ups having the same mindset that the Arsenal higher ups had, only to care for top 4 for a UCL qualification.

DKehoe

Gold Member
^ exactly, at this point i dont care who our manager is because as soon as we get CL the ambition will be gone and manager will take blame

if we failed to make CL last season Sancho would be a man utd player right now

To me the big advantage of having Solskjaer as manager is that the club is going to get a lot less resistance in restructuring things in terms of stuff like implementing a Director Of Football. Doing something like that under a high profile manager like Mourinho would be a lot harder.

Obviously it would be great to win titles with Solskjaer. I have hugely fond memories of him as a player and so him winning the league with United would be incredible. But the club's focus during his time should be getting things in a good position for the next manager to take over.

EDIT:

The Cavani deal just being one year makes me feel better about the whole thing. Gives more depth in attack as a carry over measure until Sancho (or whoever it is) comes in next season. Still no thrilled but will see how it plays out.

He's apparently getting the 7 shirt, which has been cursed since Ronaldo left.

Last edited:

mekes

Congrats to Arsenal on the signing of the day. I think Partey walks straight into any top 4 prem team as a first choice based on his showings in Madrid.

Man Utd so badly need a director of football. But you can imagine why they don’t have one, because it means the 2 bankers (Woodward and Judge) give up a sizeable amount of power in creating the position. They haven’t backed the manager today, so history would say Solskjaer may get the sack by end of season. Just like LVG and Mourinho.

Cavani is a Woodward signing. Way past his prime. Benched or played out of position by Ibra who we already had and let go. Free agent who was struggling to find a club on his own terms. We swoop in on deadline day and try to celebrate it like it isn’t just a bit of PR for the club. Michael Owen vibes if he gets the number 7, what a joke.

I think Sancho is dead now. He tried to force the move but we annoyed Dortmund trying to penny pinch and they told us to get lost and we never submitted a final bid. I’d imagine Sancho is quite angry at Man Utd right now.

Dark Rider

[OFFICIAL] Arsenal announce Partey

I stand corrected, I thought they will not pay the release clause but in the end they did, bad manners leaving it until the last minute if they will pay it anyway because it put the other club in a big problem.

Dark Rider

[Miguel Delaney] So Premier League clubs, amid a global pandemic threatening the structure/fabric of the game, where a debate rages about a bail-out for the rest of football, and when some availed of furlough/made staff redundant... ... total spending this window: over £1.2bn

tryDEATH

A rather disappointing Transfer Deadline Day.

I was optimistic Spurs were going to get Skriniar and wrap up a perfect transfer window as the CB position is now our obvious weak link and it could end up costing us in the end. We have a converted CDM in Dier, sloppy Sanchez, an aging Toby, and a young prospect in Tanganga, simply not enough quality there. Especially when you compare it to the stacked midfield and attack.

As for our rivals Liverpool and City solidified their squads even further with some great players so no need to buy from them , same for Chelsea who did their shopping early.

Arsenal and United both in my opinion made some boneheaded moves. Both waited to get Cavani and Partey on the last day when they could have had them months ago, yet waited for no reason losing valuable time for integration especially for Partey, who will need to slot in at CDM. Telles is also another questionable addition as LB isn't the most critical position for them.

Overall it was a weird and unexpected transfer window, I am still very satiesfied with Spurs' activity we adressed all our needs almost and there were quite a few plus we got Bale. These additions, put us back into 3rd best squad position, maybe even higher is we get a firing Bale. But they are just names on paper, now is time to do the talking on the pitch and so far the season has provided some bangers and I can't wait to see what this season brings.

Dark Rider

[AS] Real Madrid return to 1980: For the first time in 40 years Real Madrid closes a summer transfer market without any signings. They only brought back Odegaard, Lunin & Odriozola from loan. Madrid have postponed all reinforcements until 2021.

Top Bottom