• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2020/2021 |OT| Attending every single game from our home stands.

Dark Rider

[samuel luckhurst]: Solskjaer adamant Pogba will see out his United contract: 'I'm sure in the next couple of years we'll get the best out of him.'

Please renew on a long term contract.

Dark Rider

Danilo opens up on life in Italy: “Turin is closer to Spain or Portugal than England. The people are nicer. The food is better. And now I’m part of history after winning the Scudetto with Juventus.”

:pie_thinking:

You were asking for VAR in past and you got what you wished for.

I was? I certainly never asked for this drawing lines shit, if you can't tell if a guy is offside by looking at the frame let the on field call stand. Besides, the VAR can be anal about Mané being 1 nanometer ahead of the line, but it can't spot Pickford should have been sent off? Not like this bro, not like this.

Dark Rider

I was? I certainly never asked for this drawing lines shit, if you can't tell if a guy is offside by looking at the frame let the on field call stand. Besides, the VAR can be anal about Mané being 1 nanometer ahead of the line, but it can't spot Pickford should have been sent off? Not like this bro, not like this.

Sorry I wasn't clear :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I meant big chunks of football fans in general asked for VAR and harped on it alongside a lot of the sport media and well they got what they wished for. Yes you and many who are just discovering this realise that many of the VAR decisions will still be just the VAR official subjective opinion, and of course the nanometer offside cases which are technically correct decisions :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Sorry I wasn't clear :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I meant big chunks of football fans in general asked for VAR and harped on it alongside a lot of the sport media and well they got what they wished for. Yes you and many who are just discovering this realise that many of the VAR decisions will still be just the VAR official subjective opinion, and of course the nanometer offside cases which are technical correct decisions :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don't oppose the idea of video review, but I wish it was done like in american sports. The coach gets a limited amount of times it can be used and if it isn't 100% clear without MS Paint action that the call needs to be reversed, then the on field call stands. Honestly, not having the VAR would be better than this abomination we're watching.

I'm not even sure it was a technically correct call, like how can we be 100% sure of the moment the ball leaves a player's boot? Like maybe it happened a fucking millisecond earlier and there's no offside. I think that if the distance is shorter than the average canadian dick length then there's no way to get it right.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

I don't oppose the idea of video review, but I wish it was done like in american sports. The coach gets a limited amount of times it can be used and if it isn't 100% clear without MS Paint action that the call needs to be reversed, then the on field call stands. Honestly, not having the VAR would be better than this abomination we're watching.

I'm not even sure it was a technically correct call, like how can we be 100% sure of the moment the ball leaves a player's boot? Like maybe it happened a fucking millisecond earlier and there's no offside. I think that if the distance is shorter than the average canadian dick length then there's no way to get it right.

What if a club used up all their VAR calls then a huge call happened at the end of the game in the most important game of the season? they get screwed because they ran out of protest calls? keep in mind that every single protest call they did earlier can be legitimate too. I think FIFA did not want calling for VAR by itself to be used as a tactical weapon and be part of the game plan for any club so they did not give anyone the right to call for VAR and leave it to the game officials to decide if they need to see more of it or not. Of course they made it mandatory for important things like goals and red cards to avoid most of the big decisions to go unchecked. So what we have this unavoidable situation where VAR usage and verdicts are based on the official subjective opinion which take us back to square one that people were trying to eliminate by using VAR :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Then you have BPL who decided to go their own way on how VAR works instead of applying the same rules everyone else work with and you have the situation you are in now.

Yes when the ball leave the player boot is another subjective official decision but once the official decide that then the line is basically just maths and you can't argue with it, but you can argue the point when the ball leave the boot but the official exert their authority on this part :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yes when the ball leave the player boot is another subjective official decision but once the official decide that then the line is basically just maths and you can't argue with it, but you can argue the point when the ball leave the boot but the official exert their authority on this part :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I can't dispute the rest of the things you said, but here I don't really agree because if you can't be 100% accurate anyway, there's no point going for these nanometer calls. Just have a guy look at it, if the guy isn't clearly offside then let the field call stay. No more MS Paint lines, that's where I draw the line (heh).

Dark Rider

I can't dispute the rest of the things you said, but here I don't really agree because if you can't be 100% accurate anyway, there's no point going for these nanometer calls. Just have a guy look at it, if the guy isn't clearly offside then let the field call stay. No more MS Paint lines, that's where I draw the line (heh).

I think either offside is covered with VAR or not you can't go half the way by saying check VAR but then don't be strictly stone cold about what it shows because they want to say see we are objective the maths says its offside so it is offside. Using VAR for offside cases just eliminated the benefit of the doubt in favor of the attacker that we had before because the official had no way to make sure in a split second before but with VAR that excuse is gone since they can use maths and go down to nanometer lines :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Dark Rider

[Michael Yohkin] Cadiz have won away at Real Madrid for the first time ever. Their previous 3 wins - in 1977, 1981 and 1991 - were at home. All of them 1-0. The last one of them was against Real coached by Alfredo Di Stefano. Today it's 1-0 at Estadio Alfredo Di Stefano.

Dark Rider

Bale was the only Real Madrid player who refused to take a pay cut. Director general Jose Angel Sanchez explained the need for salary sacrifices to the players and Sergio Ramos was the mediator in negotiations, but Bale refused to accept the reduction.

Dark Rider

[Patrick Berger] Schalke are 20 games without a win. Report below that around eighty Ultras outside the stadium after their 1-1 draw today with Union, wanting to speak to the team, ahead of the derby against Dortmund next week.

Dark Rider

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero must show he "deserves to continue here" before earning a new contract, with his deal set to expire at the end of the season.

Lionel Richie Lionel Richie will it effect your season?

Badly, but VVD wasn't having a stellar start to the season so we will just continue to struggle with the high line. Gomez, Matip and Fabinho is still decent enough, so of course Virgil will be missed but I don't think it breaks the team.

With badly need Alisson back though, Adrian is not nearly good enough.

Dark Rider

Badly, but VVD wasn't having a stellar start to the season so we will just continue to struggle with the high line. Gomez, Matip and Fabinho is still decent enough, so of course Virgil will be missed but I don't think it breaks the team.

With badly need Alisson back though, Adrian is not nearly good enough.

I think Alisson is almost back right? unless there was a set back in the last 24 hours.

DKehoe

Gold Member
I did not get to watch Spurs second half by the way and I wanted to know how Bale fared
From the looks of it before Bale was in Spurs were 3-0 up but after he went in they went 3-3

Talking of British former Real Madrid players, as a United fan I’ve wondered for a while what Madrid fans think/thought of Beckham?

DonJorginho

Banned
Fuck doing a European Super League, we let in 3 goals against West Brom, imagine what Juventus, Real and Bayern would do to us....

Dark Rider

Talking of British former Real Madrid players, as a United fan I’ve wondered for a while what Madrid fans think/thought of Beckham?

From marketing point of view he did pretty good actually.
From a player on the pitch point of view, over all he is forgettable, a player like many before him and many after him that just come and go.
From big picture point of view, seeing that us getting him and Barcelona failing to get him resulted in plan B getting Ronaldinho and what he did for them and all the pain it caused us, there is some sort of bad taste in our mouth but it is not Beckham fault to be honest.

Speaking of British players though there is of course McManaman who is fondly remembered and we are happy we had him.

DKehoe

Gold Member
From marketing point of view he did pretty good actually.
From a player on the pitch point of view, over all he is forgettable, a player like many before him and many after him that just come and go.
From big picture point of view, seeing that us getting him and Barcelona failing to get him resulted in plan B getting Ronaldinho and what he did for them and all the pain it caused us, there is some sort of bad taste in our mouth but it is not Beckham fault to be honest.

Speaking of British players though there is of course McManaman who is fondly remembered and we are happy we had him.

That's interesting. I didn't actually know that Madrid were in for Ronaldinho. That makes for a curious triangle then where Barcelona buy Ronaldinho, so Madrid buy Beckham, so Man Utd buy Ronaldo to replace Beckham and because they also missed out on Ronaldinho.

I have wondered what Madrid fans thought of McManaman too, so that's cool to hear. I'm guessing not such a big fan of Jonathan Woodgate? :messenger_winking:

No Mendy?

He's on the list. It's just cropped on that preview

Ekyk8DIX0AEedWG

Reactions: MrS

Dark Rider

That's interesting. I didn't actually know that Madrid were in for Ronaldinho. That makes for a curious triangle then where Barcelona buy Ronaldinho, so Madrid buy Beckham, so Man Utd buy Ronaldo to replace Beckham and because they also missed out on Ronaldinho.

Perez was all the way in for Beckham and Barcelona were too so since we got Beckham Barcelona got Ronaldinho, so in other words Ronaldinho was not the first choice for either club. I'll admit though I wanted Cristiano to come to Real Madrid before he went to Manchester United and was disappointed that we did not go for him and so Manchester United got him at the time.

I have wondered what Madrid fans thought of McManaman too, so that's cool to hear. I'm guessing not such a big fan of Jonathan Woodgate? :messenger_winking:

While speaking about bad taste in the mouth actually Woodgate did come to my mind too :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I still remember seeing him on his depute and his net contribution was an own goal and a red card that day :messenger_astonished:

Last edited:

DKehoe

Gold Member
Perez was all the way in for Beckham and Barcelona were too so since we got Beckham Barcelona got Ronaldinho, so in other words Ronaldinho was not the first choice for either club. I'll admit though I wanted Cristiano to come to Real Madrid before he went to Manchester United and was disappointed that we did not go for him and so Manchester United got him at the time.

Ah so you were aware of Ronaldo before he came to United? That's interesting. I knew about him because he looked good in a friendly against United but that wasn't long before they bought him.

Dark Rider

Ah so you were aware of Ronaldo before he came to United? That's interesting. I knew about him because he looked good in a friendly against United but that wasn't long before they bought him.

Yes I was aware and I thought when Manchester United got him that was it but in the end (few years later with a big splash of money) he did come to Real Madrid after all.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Gold Member
Yes and I thought when Manchester United got him that was it but in end (few years later with a big splash of money) he did come to Real Madrid after all.

I was sad United missed out on Ronaldinho, in his prime he was one of the most fun players to watch. But watching Ronaldo go from a talented, but unpolished, teenager to a Balon D'Or winner was even more special than getting Ronaldinho would have been. Besides, I doubt Ronaldinho would have enjoyed the Manchester weather :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Dark Rider

I was sad United missed out on Ronaldinho, in his prime he was one of the most fun players to watch. But watching Ronaldo go from a talented, but unpolished, teenager to a Balon D'Or winner was even more special than getting Ronaldinho would have been. Besides, I doubt Ronaldinho would have enjoyed the Manchester weather :messenger_grinning_smiling:

What if we had Ronaldinho and Cristiano at Real Madrid though :pie_thinking:
Cristiano was an upgrade over Beckham for Manchester United so you did pretty good with that one.
Also Ronaldinho liked to drink and party way too much, way way too much :messenger_grinning_sweat:

DKehoe

Gold Member
What if we had Ronaldinho and Cristiano at Real Madrid though :pie_thinking:
Cristiano was an upgrade over Beckham for Manchester United so you did pretty good with that one.
Also Ronaldinho liked to drink and party way too much, way way too much :messenger_grinning_sweat:

The dynamic of Ronaldinho and Roy Keane on the same team would have been fun.

Dark Rider

So Morata rises his price tag by scoring a brace
Sevilla get closer to that coveted 3rd spot by getting a intentional draw against Chelsea
Manchester United score 3 goals against/for PSG

DKehoe

Gold Member
Great to see Axel Tuanzebe played so well today. His first game back after a long time out and a lot was asked of him by being put right in there against a top team like PSG and the attack they have. With his speed, intelligence and ability on the ball I was hoping he might be what United's defence right now and it seems that might be the case.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

[Le Parisien] Kylian Mbappe continues to refuse a contract extension with Paris Saint-Germain. The board is beginning to give up on the idea that Mbappe will sign an extension and might consider selling him in 2021.

:pie_thinking:

Top Bottom