• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For a dead console the digital Vita game prices on PSN are ridiculous

So I'm looking for something to play in on a long commute that's coming up and check this.

Call of Duty Black Ops Declassified £45
The Legend of Heroes £35
Deception IV £35
Demon Gaze 2 £35
Digimon Cyber Sleuth Hackers Memory £35
Dynasty Warriors 8 £35
FIFA 15 £16 (Fucking really!?!?!?)
Spirit Hunter £35
Uncharted Golden Abyss £20
LEGO games £25 each
Odinsphere £35
Need for Speed £45 (Holy Shit!)
One piece burning blood £45
Rugby world cup 2015 £35 🤣🤣🤣
Atelier Games £35
Bad Apple Wars £40
Warriors Orochi 3 £35

Like so many games are still ridiculously expensive, some of them upto 7 years old. What the fuck? I'm still annoyed Konami didn't make the Silent Hill PSP games compatible with Vita after claiming they would work but I'm struggling to find something to play here. I was lent a copy of World of Final Fantasy that I might play. I am yet to finish Book of Memories and Soul Sacrifice Delta and I do fancy going back to Gravity Rush also that I didn't really play much of but did enjoy. Hot damn though. Rugby World Cup 2015 £35? Are you joking? For a dead console the digital prices on many games being £20 and above is asking a lot.

mitch1971

I've had a few DLC on ps3 on my wish list for years and they haven't reduce in price for ages. E.g..The DLC for Bioshock infinite is still 15 quid for the season pass. It was reduced years ago to about 2 or 3 quid and has never been that price again. I could probably get the ps4 collection for cheaper. There are many more examples. The companies just completely forget they exist.

tillbot8

Banned
They did that little gem of a handheld so dirty from start to finish! It is still impressive in my hands, so much more so in gaming then my crappy S20...bloody hate 'mobile gaming'

Nimarus

Neo Member
I remember getting my Vita just before they announced it was being abandoned in the west. I guess the 4 Vitas and only 10 games in their store was the first warning of that decision coming. I bought a few games, but was disappointed that even older titles were quite expensive for something they decided to abandon. I'm not going to say that I jailbreaked it and accessed a library of Vita and PSP games for free on a console they decided to abandon.

I think low sales in the west AND people constantly cracking the Vita's OS got them to lose faith in the product long term. I heard Japan even made it illegal to own cracked game consoles (even stuff like the Gameboy Zero Raspberry Pi builds).

Agent X

PS Store rarely discounts Vita games anymore. The discounts are now devoted almost entirely to PS4 games.

If you're hunting for reduced prices for digital Vita games (or PS3 games), then your best bet is to see which PS4 games offer cross-buy.

Tschumi

WAIT MATE WAIT. Stop immediately.

Henkaku your shit. [PRESERVE YOUR GAMES]. I spent sooo much money on their gimpded selection of games before making the change.

Beware: when you suddenly get every game for free it becomes really hard to choose one to focus on and finish.

Ps. Persona 4 Golden, Tearaway, must haves.

Edit: pps. Get SD2VITA , too. Have as big a microsd as you can find, don't worry about overpriced sony cards.. i have a 64gb official and it still ran out of space really quickly

Last edited by a moderator:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The Vita store is nice in the sense that you can get a lot of PS1/PSP games for a relatively good price. I have a decent amount/if not most of the “good” PS1/PSP games from there. I’ve been shopping for digital PS1 since the PS3. I can’t honestly say I have a ton of digital Vita content. I have Uncharted, Sly Cooper, Freedom Wars, Gravity Rush, both Soul Sacrifice titles, Odin Sphere and maybe a couple others digitally. The rest of my games I got physical copies. It’s somewhat difficult for me to think about a new Vita game I want digitally. I owned Silent Hill Book of Memories and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 physically. I do see games like visual novels and the Y’s games that wouldn’t exactly make a ton of money if they just kept putting them on sale. Stuff like God of War, Borderlands 2, Jak & Daxter and etc aren’t that expensive without being on sale.

I really enjoy my Vita, but I do notice that I spend a large majority of my time playing PS1/PSP games on there. You can tell that Sony doesn’t exactly update the store anymore. The same Top Rated Games never change and whatever is on sale for Plus members is the same DLC it’s been for months/if not years. There are a few 2020 titles under New Releases. It’s a shame because you have all the Persona games before 5, Tactics Ogre, misc JRPGs, and a host of other great games from their legacy console. It doesn’t take a lot to go online and get the MGS collection or both Ninja Gaiden Sigma Games.

I would blame the lack of large sales on the lack of technical support the handheld gets. It feels like it gets a quick look me over by the company and then it just stays the same.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Henkaku your shit. Pkgj. I spent sooo much money on their gimpded selection of games before making the change.

Beware: when you suddenly get every game for free it becomes really hard to choose one to focus on and finish.

Edit: pps. Get SD2VITA , too. Have as big a microsd as you can find, don't worry about overpriced sony cards.. i have a 64gb official and it still ran out of space really quickly
Ninja did you just admit to pirating games? Rather than dumping them?

Agent X

I did a quick look at the current "Games Under $15" sale on the US PlayStation Store.

Here's a game called TimeSpinner that's currently on sale for half off ($9.99, normally $19.99), that I've had my eye on for a while:

PS4 page:

PS Vita page:

PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate is game which I already have, and would recommend. Note the difference in price depending on whether you go to the page to the PS4 version or the PS Vita version, but its cross-buy on both platforms either way (so purchase the PS4 version if you want the big savings, even if you only have a Vita and not a PS4).

PS4 page (priced at $3.74):

PS Vita page (priced at $11.99):

Most of the SteamWorld games are on sale now, too. Here are the pages for SteamWorld Dig 2. Again, despite it being cross-buy for both PS4 and PS Vita, you'll see a disparity in the prices shown on the PS4 page and the PS Vita page.

PS4 page (priced at $7.99):

PS Vita page (priced at $19.99):

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I dump em
You could have said that rather than "Beware: when you suddenly get every game for free it becomes really hard to choose one to focus on and finish. ".

henkaku/sd2vita are the shit.

Dane

Wait, are physical cheaper on Vita? Because when I saw the prices once in a while they were just as expensive as digital.

colon

It's the same thing in the Wii U eShop. Launch games from 2012 (Batman: Arkham City, Need For Speed: Most Wanted, etc.) are still full price even though they have been discounted to $19.99 or less for years on the other last gen consoles.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
So I'm looking for something to play in on a long commute that's coming up and check this.

Call of Duty Black Ops Declassified £45
The Legend of Heroes £35
Deception IV £35
Demon Gaze 2 £35
Digimon Cyber Sleuth Hackers Memory £35
Dynasty Warriors 8 £35
FIFA 15 £16 (Fucking really!?!?!?)
Spirit Hunter £35
Uncharted Golden Abyss £20
LEGO games £25 each
Odinsphere £35
Need for Speed £45 (Holy Shit!)
One piece burning blood £45
Rugby world cup 2015 £35 🤣🤣🤣
Atelier Games £35
Bad Apple Wars £40
Warriors Orochi 3 £35

Like so many games are still ridiculously expensive, some of them upto 7 years old. What the fuck? I'm still annoyed Konami didn't make the Silent Hill PSP games compatible with Vita after claiming they would work but I'm struggling to find something to play here. I was lent a copy of World of Final Fantasy that I might play. I am yet to finish Book of Memories and Soul Sacrifice Delta and I do fancy going back to Gravity Rush also that I didn't really play much of but did enjoy. Hot damn though. Rugby World Cup 2015 £35? Are you joking? For a dead console the digital prices on many games being £20 and above is asking a lot.

These games dont have comparision with a Masterpiece that is GRAVITY RUSH

Animagic

Banned
One of the letter categories in the vita psstore catalog has been messed up for the last 5 years. No one at Sony ever cared

diffusionx

Gold Member
Here are the Vita games on my PSN Wishlist:

Tearway - $20 not terrible
Severed - $15 that's ok
Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel the Hedgehog: $40 wat
Munch's Oddysee - $10 that's ok

At least PSP games are really cheap. Tactics Ogre is $10 and better than any game on the OP's list by a mile.

Last edited:
I usually say digital pricing is normally terribly priced which it is, but I think even the physical games for the Vita are pretty high as well mostly due to scarcity. To be honest, one reason I guess I never really got deep into portable gaming is because they are generally overpriced for what you get, especially the software.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
I did a quick look at the current "Games Under $15" sale on the US PlayStation Store.

Here's a game called TimeSpinner that's currently on sale for half off ($9.99, normally $19.99), that I've had my eye on for a while:

PS4 page:

PS Vita page:

PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate is game which I already have, and would recommend. Note the difference in price depending on whether you go to the page to the PS4 version or the PS Vita version, but its cross-buy on both platforms either way (so purchase the PS4 version if you want the big savings, even if you only have a Vita and not a PS4).

PS4 page (priced at $3.74):

PS Vita page (priced at $11.99):

Most of the SteamWorld games are on sale now, too. Here are the pages for SteamWorld Dig 2. Again, despite it being cross-buy for both PS4 and PS Vita, you'll see a disparity in the prices shown on the PS4 page and the PS Vita page.

PS4 page (priced at $7.99):

PS Vita page (priced at $19.99):

Timespinner is quite nice. Too bad the Vita resolution is not adapted for 240p content. You either play integer scaled x2, with borders everywhere, or fill the screen and get shimmering. Or some games like Shovel Knight have a blur filter, so you get blur... Not optimal in all cases. Switch Lite is a much better fit for retro games in 240p or 360p.

GymWolf

Digital prices on console being utterly ridicolous is kinda of a constant.

Even just the fact that you pay the same price of the physical edition at launch is laughable.

Last edited:
Sometimes lowering the price doesn't really matter for niche titles.

You usually lower the price of something to attract more buyers. But with a niche weebshit game its not suddenly gonna fly off the shelves just because it went from €60 to €19.99.
And remember that with digital games you can keep it on a Sony server forever at almost no cost.

Personally I really hate the digital age, I have to constantly keep on top of sales.

Ar¢tos

Lego games on the Vita suck, they are bad DS ports.
Except Legends of Chima, that one was made for the Vita and its a decent game. I got the platinum for it just because it was a fun game.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The Vita remains a testament to Sony's overwhelming hubris. Thinking they could gouge gamers with expensive, proprietary tech, just because there were a few people pirating games? Fuck off, company.

Last edited:

Damigos

I agree with OP, though “officially” its not dead.
You should try Ratalaika games, some of them are really cool, only 5€ and easy plats :)

sublimit

Banned
It's the same with PS3 game prices on PS3's store. No deals anymore so if you want to buy something that is only on PS3 or Vita store you have to pay almost full price.
The PS4 versions of a lot of games are actually cheaper than the PS3/PSVita versions.
I'm sure the same thing will happen to the prices of PS4 games in the PSN store once PS5 becomes Sony's main focus.

So yeah keep supporting digital and let physical die out. The future is going to be fantastic!👌

Last edited:

Xeaker

Henkaku your shit. [PRESERVE YOUR GAMES]. I spent sooo much money on their gimpded selection of games before making the change.

But is there not a high chance I get sued by police? My cousin had to pay 5000€ for downloading some music.

Top Bottom