• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For DOOM's 21st birthday, John Romero releases unused sprites and unseen pictures.

G-Fex

Apr 15, 2005
https://twitter.com/romero

Spider-Mastermind's Magic Attack

That cyberdemon is a clay model.

Gun model

unused BFG Model

Pinkie was drawn over what looks to be a Jurassic Park toy

Lost Soul scan

Toy scan for chaingun

Arch-vile model

unused doomguy death animation

Pile of meat

Revenant scan

Amazing stuff Mr. Romero

Ingueferroque

Banned
Jun 23, 2012
So fucking cool. They really nailed everything with this game. I'm somehow baffled that Doom came out a few months after Jurassic Park.

Dictator93

Jun 29, 2011
Woke up this morning and saw them. The pile of corpses, the unused wall textures, and the extra doom-guy death sprites are awesome.

Doom is sooo good.

G-Fex

Apr 15, 2005

bjork

Jun 8, 2004
I love it when old unseen stuff comes up, and I love DOOM, so this is a cool thing to see. I'm trying to imagine those pinkie explosions in a room full of them, that would be pretty wild.

SamwiseRed

Oct 31, 2012
Wow, some of these are pretty damn cool!

Now how long before someone mods all this stuff back into the game?

Crayon

Jan 6, 2007
Thanks for posting these. This is great. My first contact with this game was just turning a corner ar frys to see it running on a 486. The scaling sprites were so fast and smooth and numerous i could hardly take it all in.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Jun 9, 2004
Those models were so badass. Are they still around somewhere? They should be in a museum.
Still at id last I heard, which was... a year ago, roughly?

biteren

May 8, 2014
oh man!! im loving this!!!!! Xmas came early for me!!!

EDIT: i now fully expect these sprites to be in the next version of Brutal DOOM!

Dictator93

Jun 29, 2011
An HD remaster of doom would be pretty awesome if possible. More detailed and hand drawn (or scanned in!) sprites with more animation frames for some stuff.

That would be interesting to see how someone could maintain the style.

KittenMaster

Nov 22, 2007
An HD remaster of doom would be pretty awesome if possible. More detailed and hand drawn (or scanned in!) sprites with more animation frames for some stuff.

That would be interesting to see how someone could maintain the style.
The best HD attempt I've seen was mostly just hand cleaned sprite up-scaling.

There was also a mod that added a ton of animation frames to everything, but it looked awful because sometimes you need a bit of jumpiness in animation to convey motion properly (everything was made to be animated way too smoothly).

abracadaver

Oct 28, 2010
Germany

Doom is a timeless classic that aged incredibly well. Playing with a modern source port the game is still way more fun than 90% of the modern shooters. I replay the Doom series like every year and still can't get enough.

I love seeing pictures of how they made it.

lazygecko

Apr 8, 2014
I'll bet Doom modders are going to immediately salvage these assets and rework them into the game somehow.

Ifrit

May 2, 2008
Ecuador
Do those clay models still exist?

If they somewhow rescan those models at a better resolution to update the doom sprites, would be the best thing ever