• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For DOOM's 21st birthday, John Romero releases unused sprites and unseen pictures.

G-Fex

https://twitter.com/romero

B4jwtBcCAAA0a13.jpg:large
Spider-Mastermind's Magic Attack

B4fDEY-CYAAWAx-.jpg

B4fDETSCQAEGmwD.jpg

That cyberdemon is a clay model.

Gun model

B4js1nNCYAA1LWj.jpg

unused BFG Model

Pinkie was drawn over what looks to be a Jurassic Park toy

Lost Soul scan

Toy scan for chaingun

Arch-vile model

unused doomguy death animation

B4jzwpSCUAAfh3s.jpg:large

Pile of meat

Revenant scan

Amazing stuff Mr. Romero

So fucking cool. They really nailed everything with this game. I'm somehow baffled that Doom came out a few months after Jurassic Park.

Woke up this morning and saw them. The pile of corpses, the unused wall textures, and the extra doom-guy death sprites are awesome.

Doom is sooo good.

bjork

I love it when old unseen stuff comes up, and I love DOOM, so this is a cool thing to see. I'm trying to imagine those pinkie explosions in a room full of them, that would be pretty wild.

Crayon

Thanks for posting these. This is great. My first contact with this game was just turning a corner ar frys to see it running on a 486. The scaling sprites were so fast and smooth and numerous i could hardly take it all in.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Those models were so badass. Are they still around somewhere? They should be in a museum.

Still at id last I heard, which was... a year ago, roughly?

biteren

oh man!! im loving this!!!!! Xmas came early for me!!!

EDIT: i now fully expect these sprites to be in the next version of Brutal DOOM!

An HD remaster of doom would be pretty awesome if possible. More detailed and hand drawn (or scanned in!) sprites with more animation frames for some stuff.

That would be interesting to see how someone could maintain the style.

An HD remaster of doom would be pretty awesome if possible. More detailed and hand drawn (or scanned in!) sprites with more animation frames for some stuff.

That would be interesting to see how someone could maintain the style.

The best HD attempt I've seen was mostly just hand cleaned sprite up-scaling.

There was also a mod that added a ton of animation frames to everything, but it looked awful because sometimes you need a bit of jumpiness in animation to convey motion properly (everything was made to be animated way too smoothly).

abracadaver

Doom is a timeless classic that aged incredibly well. Playing with a modern source port the game is still way more fun than 90% of the modern shooters. I replay the Doom series like every year and still can't get enough.

I love seeing pictures of how they made it.

Matt_C

Shame Bethesda/Zenimax does not make many retro remakes but 3d scanning those models in a HD polygon DOOM remake would be badass. Heck I loved the Classic Doon mod for Doom 4.

Ifrit

Do those clay models still exist?

If they somewhow rescan those models at a better resolution to update the doom sprites, would be the best thing ever

Top Bottom