• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For FPS's do you use inverted or regular?

Stryder

I might as well count myself, although we did just have this thread.

I choose inverted, for both console and PC.

Desperado

Left control stick: up=forward, down=back, look left/right

Right control stick: up=look down, down=look up, strafe left/right

so I guess that would be inverted. hooray

Burger

Matlock said:
Inverted for console, regular for PC.

Exactly, with a mouse you are moving your face, move mouse up, face looks up.

Console is like having your thumb on the players head, push forward, look down.

aerofx

I use inverted if the looking portion of the controls is on the left stick. If it's on the right stick I use regular.

Shompola

Banned
if I could have my own custom made control for a pad in fps or 3rd person mode it would be this:

left stick = push forward = go forward, push backward = go backward, push left/right = strafe left/right
right stick = push forward = look down, push backward= look up, push left/right = look left/right

This is exactly how Enclave plays btw and is IMO the nearest to "WASD+mouse invert" you can get on a pad.

stonedwal

Right now, inverted.

I used regular until about a month ago on PCs, until I played a friend's machine for a couple of minutes which he'd left on inverted...and I couldn't manage to revert back to normal. Initially, I was inverted, but switched a few years back.

Always been inverted for consoles, though.

I started on regular when mouse/free-look first-person shooters started popping up like rabbits in the mid-90s, switched to reverse around the Quake II/Dark Forces II in the late 90s, and then switched back to regular during the last couple of years for some reason.

border

Didn't we just have this argument a week ago? At any rate, the whole debate seems fairly stupid. I don't think that either setup gives you an advantage, it is most likely just a matter of preference. Though it might be interesting to see what the world's best Quake and UT players use......

Sander

Regular in everything, for as long as I can remember, except Metroid Prime where I use the default inverted. Kinda weird. I changed a few times though (in MP) and realized a) you adapt really fast b) it doesn't matter what you use.

Dagon

Inverted.

Something snapped in me a little while ago. I've been playing regular for ever, and then I just decided to give inverted another go. Now I can hardly control my character if it's not inverted.

Stupid brain...

Ranger X

Inverted. Always.

As for the fucking plane argument.... maybe planes controls like that in the first place because "inverted" comes more naturally or something...

Kuramu

Inverted, and i think it's more natural that way whereas regular is more abstracted and unnatural

imagine the analog stick is a tiny version of your head and neck. if you push your thumb forward, your head will be looking down.

Top Bottom