• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For Honor Open Beta Feb 9 - Feb 12

Strakt

Received a twitch prime email:

re18730.png

Rocketz

Cool. Even though I was approved for the closed beta something happened and it never made it's way to my console. Glad I get another chance to play it since the alpha.

I wonder why they aren't just calling it a time limited demo

Because when the servers fall over and die or people have lag issues, they can blame it on being a beta and not a demo.

But yes, you're right. If the "beta" ends 2 days before release, nothing is changing. Any day one patches are already in certification by that point, so about the only tweaks they can make would be server side.

Hexer06

Yesss! They needed to do this. This is one of those games you have to play to understand it. Watching videos of it, I was kinda like "looks cool but would probly get boring after an hour or so." I played the Alpha and Beta and now I have the Gold edition pre ordered. Can't wait for more ppl to get their hands on it. Just PLEASE fix the servers. I feel like they're screwing this game over by not having dedicated servers :/.

taco543

I'll give it another shot now that I'll have all my friends to play with, but the beta didn't blow me away. We'll see if this changes that.

Dope!

But I'll be playing Ni-Oh then and it's really only a couple of days before For Honor's actual release date, when I'll be buying it so..

Swarna

I wish it was more fun to play with keyboard and mouse.
Mouse and keyboard is slightly better if only for faster camera movement. You lose nothing over a controller. Though, I agree, game being lock-on based takes away alot of the potential fun there could've been on a mkb scheme.

Artdayne

Yesss! They needed to do this. This is one of those games you have to play to understand it. Watching videos of it, I was kinda like "looks cool but would probly get boring after an hour or so." I played the Alpha and Beta and now I have the Gold edition pre ordered. Can't wait for more ppl to get their hands on it. Just PLEASE fix the servers. I feel like they're screwing this game over by not having dedicated servers :/.

Yep, I've been saying this for awhile. When people were comparing it to Ryse here on Neogaf during E3 my eyes almost rolled out of my sockets. The game has a really great combat system and its a lot of fun to play.

As to the dedicated servers business, I had very limited issues for most of the beta. At the beginning I had some legitimately terrible server lag and some other problems but they really fixed a lot of those with maintenance. I feel like dedicated servers with this game would be more about positive PR than anything because there are issues with dedicated servers too. Someone will always have an advantage depending on how close or far you are away from the server location. I also believe they aren't using a strict peer to peer setup, it's something different but I know a lot of people are worried about the servers.

-Deimos

Yep, I've been saying this for awhile. When people were comparing it to Ryse here on Neogaf during E3 my eyes almost rolled out of my sockets. The game has a really great combat system and its a lot of fun to play.

As to the dedicated servers business, I had very limited issues for most of the beta. At the beginning I had some legitimately terrible server lag and some other problems but they really fixed a lot of those with maintenance. I feel like dedicated servers with this game would be more about positive PR than anything because there are issues with dedicated servers too. Someone will always have an advantage depending on how close or far you are away from the server location. I also believe they aren't using a strict peer to peer setup, it's something different but I know a lot of people are worried about the servers.
I agree, I had no issues with lag during this beta and don't really care if they add dedicated servers, but if it helps with PR I'm all for it. I want the game to have a healthy playerbase.

Skyzard

Banned
I agree, I had no issues with lag during this beta and don't really care if they add dedicated servers, but if it helps with PR I'm all for it. I want the game to have a healthy playerbase.

Only thing I want dedicated servers for is to enable massive elimination matches with like 20 people, like Chivalry.

I didn't really have serious connection issues when I played it. I saw one guy teleport...but maybe that's a spell? [-or maybe he dc'd - he just vanished, I think I even saw a bit of smoke (not like a smoke bomb though), I dunno].

Nothus

The closed beta only finished yesterday and I'm still craving to play it.
Definitely in for this, even though I'm picking up Nioh on the 9th as well. I'll make time for both!

Alric

Yes, I got a code to play on the PS4 for the closed beta but I really want to see how it plays on my PC with a GTX970.

-Deimos

Only thing I want dedicated servers for is to enable massive elimination matches with like 20 people, like Chivalry.

I didn't really have serious connection issues when I played it. I saw one guy teleport...but maybe that's a spell?
That would be amazing, I'd definitely want dedicated servers for that.

Dreavus

Nice, I'll probably spend a bit more time on this despite not really wanting to pick up the game on launch. Will be fun to get some friends in on it for the weekend.

reckless

Nice can't wait to play more. Really didn't pay attention to this game at all, but after the closed beta I bought it.

mcz117chief

I had it the other way around. I had the gold edition on pre-order because the gameplay footage looked excellent, then I played a couple of rounds and found out it's just another fighting game without any interesting characters, music or graphics. It's just too mundane for me so I cancelled my pre-order.

If I want a good and fun game about duels I can always play Blade Symphony.

RoKKeR

Welp, I'll take it.

A beta two days before release, lol.

But it'll be a good marketing opportunity, and this game needs to be played.

Lucent

when-you-were-partying-i-studied-the-blade-when-you-1602625.png

None shall survive my blade.

Lol!

I played the alpha and the beta a little. I still dunno how to be good. I feel like I don't understand blocking fully. Seems like it doesn't always work. And it almost seems like the game is more about hitting first because characters are usually fast enough to just mash while changing directions and it's so fast you can't block in time. Feel like I really would need time with it to know if it's for me or not.

Played the closed Beta, and it was... OK. The complex combat system is nice but the overall gameplay got really repetitive and somewhat boring really fast. While playing the main mode (4v4), getting into 1v1 duels is rare. You are constantly being ganked or ganking. Very chaotic and somewhat confusing. It was hard to utilize the combat system to its fullest when you are just swinging quick attacks trying to survive being mauled by 3 people, loosing all stamina, and dying. Also, no matter what anyone says, some characters are OP. Then there is the 2v2 and 1v1 modes. I have not heard of any other modes. If that is the case, not worth $60.

If you do pick it up, make sure you have few friends to play with who you can talk to and strategize and take objectives together, or you will be seeing alot of what i mentioned above.

Artdayne

Played the closed Beta, and it was... OK. The complex combat system is nice but the overall gameplay got really repetitive and somewhat boring really fast. While playing the main mode (4v4), getting into 1v1 duels is rare. You are constantly being ganked or ganking. Very chaotic and somewhat confusing. It was hard to utilize the combat system to its fullest when you are just swinging quick attacks trying to survive being mauled by 3 people, loosing all stamina, and dying. Also, no matter what anyone says, some characters are OP. Then there is the 2v2 and 1v1 modes. I have not heard of any other modes. If that is the case, not worth $60.

If you do pick it up, make sure you have few friends to play with who you can talk to and strategize and take objectives together, or you will be seeing alot of what i mentioned above.

There are 2 other 4v4 modes. Elimination and Skirmish. There is also a single player campaign. There is also a DLC that can be unlocked by playing the game with 6 new characters, new maps and possibly new game modes.

The way people currently play Dominion is like people in a shooter who play Capture the Flag like their playing team death match, or when people in Overwatch don't play the objectives. They are not playing objective based gameplay at all and roaming around in gank squads is generally not the most effective use of your time. I think part of that is that it's not explained very well in game and that's it beta and people just don't know. I think in time people will have a much better understanding how to play. I spent a lot of time playing Dominion this weekend and had a lot of fun simply playing the game as its meant to be played and winning the majority of the time.

There are 2 other 4v4 modes. Elimination and Skirmish. There is also a single player campaign. There is also a DLC that can be unlocked by playing the game with 6 new characters, new maps and possibly new game modes.

The way people currently play Dominion is like people in a shooter who play Capture the Flag like their playing team death match, or when people in Overwatch don't play the objectives. They are not playing objective based gameplay at all and roaming around in gank squads is generally not the most effective use of your time. I think part of that is that it's not explained very well in game and that's it beta and people just don't know. I think in time people will have a much better understanding how to play. I spent a lot of time playing Dominion this weekend and had a lot of fun simply playing the game as its meant to be played and winning the majority of the time.

I remember a bunch of matches where people just tried ganging up on people to kill them. We would just run away, fight them on or hold them off for the rest of your team to get the capture points and we would eventualy win.

I guess the first few days/weeks will be a bunch of people trying out the game then stop playing because it's not what they expected. THEN things are gonna get interesting.

Hope they have better matchmaking in the final game because the teams were unbalanced and unfair most of the time.

-Deimos

There are at least 2 more modes on release.

Good to know. I will play the open Beta again and try to master some more stuff. I DID have fun with my friends when we coordinated our plan of attack, but after so many matches it was just beginning to blurr together and drag on. (although that could be said about any multiplayer game). More content is always helpful to fix this problem.

I will definitely play in the open beta, at least what little I can play before work and sleep pulls me away. I played in the closed beta, and I really enjoyed myself!

Hopefully Ubisoft gives players access to every hero. Three of them were missing in the closed beta!

I will definitely play in the open beta, at least what little I can play before work and sleep pulls me away. I played in the closed beta, and I really enjoyed myself!

Hopefully Ubisoft gives players access to every hero. Three of them were missing in the closed beta!

Every hero and every mode hopefully.

TitusTroy

Nvidia's latest 'Prepare for Battle' game bundle includes your choice of either For Honor or Ghost Recon Wildlands...

Anyone buying a GeForce GTX 1080, GTX 1070 GPU, PC Gaming System or Laptop can choose either Ubisoft’s For Honor or Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands for free

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/for-honor-ghost-recon-wildlands-geforce-gtx-bundle

Yes!...that means people will be selling their codes online for cheap...I wasn't going to pay $60 but for $25-$30 I'm in

Solobbos

Wait, so the closed beta ended already? I just got 30 minutes in last weekend. Based on that slice, I'm really not interested in the game.

RiggyRob

I really like this trend of games having open betas to test games out before the full release - I'll definitely try For Honor out.

Artdayne

Nvidia's latest 'Prepare for Battle' game bundle includes your choice of either for Honor or Ghost Recon Wildlands...

Anyone buying a GeForce GTX 1080, GTX 1070 GPU, PC Gaming System or Laptop can choose either Ubisoft’s For Honor or Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands for free

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/for-honor-ghost-recon-wildlands-geforce-gtx-bundle

Yes!...that means people will be selling their codes online for cheap...I wasn't going to pay $60 but for $25-$30 I'm in

Ooh, I was going to buy For Honor anyway and I've been considering the 1070 or the 1080 for a little while, might have to jump on that.

Top Bottom