• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For how long are you working from home?

I do game development in japan and my previous workplace started WFH from February 18, 2020.
I quit this years and move to new AAA and I haven’t set foot at new company. All WFH.

No idea when this will end… 2022?

Do you guys want to go back office?

I kinda want so I try to keep steady time at home 9am until 18pm.

Just crazy that one day company said stay at home…and that’s already one year and half.

Last edited:

Ownage

I've wfh since the pandemic. I get my work done faster and with less bullshit, but I've seen senior executives have meltdowns because they don't feel like "they're in control." My thoughts are "let them burn."

WFH is life. Embrace or begone!

Tranquil

Permanently.

My work was already setting everyone up to work from home before covid hit, it just made it happen faster.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Was told to begin working from home in early March, 2020. Still WFH, and will be until at least the end of this year. I don't mind it all, I am more productive and I already had my own home office ready to go.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
WFH since last year. All office workers who can log in from home told to work home (even if it means bring home the monitor, docking station, or tower PC). Some managers, IT server guys, and people with tons of paper work asked to remain at the office which is dead empty now. Probably at 10-20% capacity.

Later in the year they are going to revisit restrictions and look into who else can go back.

I want to go back. I like the office, chatting with people and hooking up to the office servers is way better than all this VPN crap. Not fun when your loading or saving 100mb files back and forth with the servers from home.

On the plus side I can leave or work when I want (I actually might work on some stuff in half in hour which is 12:30 am midnight as I'm wide awake from napping earlier), while being fair to the company and not taking advantage. And our company has been very accommodating allowing us to expense what ever we need to work from home (within reason) and giving us multiple covid stress pay payouts for the heck of it! I'm not stressed at all. Much more stressful commuting to work in winter. But hell, I'll take it if your giving it! lol

I cant see how some people love working from home permanently. Seems boring as hell. And interacting with coworkers on Skype or Teams isnt the same.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ever since March 2020. It's been great. Nobody to bother me in-person and I do other things when I'm supposed to be working.
For me, its good and bad.

It's good that I get less hassles too from people. The bad part is when I asked people for information, it's tougher to get like 1/3rd of the people ghost hoping you go away unless you ask 3 times. But ask them in person and they respond much quicker as there's no hiding.

You can tell lots of people arent around as they dont respond to messaging half the time and when you check their online status it says away for hours during work hours.

For me, its good and bad.

It's good that I get less hassles too from people. The bad part is when I asked people for information, it's tougher to get like 1/3rd of the people ghost hoping you go away unless you ask 3 times. But ask them in person and they respond much quicker as there's no hiding.

You can tell lots of people arent around as they dont respond to messaging half the time and when you check their online status it says away for hours during work hours.

I don’t hear from my boss for a month or so until it’s a critical time. It’s nuts.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I work at a hospital/large govt. healthcare center, so no work from home for me. Y’all that can keep working from home do that shit. Save gas money too.
Save gas money, car depreciation, lunch money. And even crazier, Canada allows work from home people during covid to claim a $400 deductible. Which I'm sure EVERY person just claimed it anyway. The gov isn't going to check every person whether they WFH or drove to the office.

I've also saved money not buying useless shit as driving home from work sometimes I stop off to buy things at the grocery store and take out dinner. I've been cooking at home a lot more or just eating boring cheap lunches and dinners.

In 14 months of WFH, I've only drove about 4000 km. It should be closer to 20000. Just saved 16000 km of gas. That's probably 25 tanks of gas at 91 premium gas. Probably saved around $2000 alone on gas.

Its amazing how much money people have saved. If you check charts on savings the past year, the avg person's savings zoomed up the charts.

Last edited:

Marlenus

Over a year and it is unlikely to change much. Might go into the office once a week / fortnight for meetings and to catch up but that is about it.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
My job has been remote and will stay remote as we are a multi-continent company. It's nice to be able to move anywhere in the world and not have to worry about a job, just a decent internet connection.

bronkonagurski

Gold Member
Full-time WFH since March 2020 and recently learned I will not be required to go back into the office even when it re-opens. I'm fine with that.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Sadly my work continues regardless
giphy.webp

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Been working from home since 2017, so yeah...loving it. You can have sex and play video games while at work. Can also work from the beach or poolside, if the need arises. The best was getting drunk sitting on the bank of the Mekhong, while on my laptop.

We have a company spread across 11 countries, and none of us have ever sat in an office. For software companies, there's really no reason to have an office, unless you have dev kits.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Been working from home since 2017, so yeah...loving it. You can have sex and play video games while at work. Can also work from the beach or poolside, if the need arises. The best was getting drunk sitting on the bank of the Mekhong, while on my laptop.

We have a company spread across 11 countries, and none of us have ever sat in an office. For software companies, there's really no reason to have an office, unless you have dev kits.
Yep, sometimes when work is slow I'll play some games, have a drink when I want to, or take care of other quick errands. Travel without having to take off work, just work a few hours a day and go explore. The benefits are ridiculous.

lachesis

Since about April 2020. Only been going into NYC maybe 4-5 days a month, a couple days in every other week.

Company is about to re-open by July 5th, but not entirely either. Work-life balance has been a great issue at our company, and it seems like some people actually do prefer working from home too.
In my case - I don't mind working from home either, but sometimes I have to do with physical stuff, so best I can hope is to work a few days at home, and few days at premise.

It actually made me save more money on transit for sure - so even though I wasn't making as much money, I was able to save more.

can't work from home at my job. been in every day except when i took holidays or was required to self isolate. never been tested positive for covid. last time i was off sick was january 2020.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
I guess if I was working for other people it would be preferable. I don’t know how anyone works in an office tbh, I definitely would fail in that environment.

highrider

Banned
What's work from home? lol. I'm a mechainc. No such thing.
👀 I’m in the auto trade as well ( painter ) most people in these trades after 20+ years have a home shop and have a day job for steady money but earn more than half their income on the side. My buddy has everything at home, diagnostic set ups, alignment machine, it’s easy to make money on the side as a mechanic. A good mechanic should partner with a combo body/paint guy and flip cars. The money in the car business, the real money, isn’t at the shop. Then again I mod e-bikes now so lol

Last edited:

QSD

I work in psychiatry in an assisted living home, so no work from home for me. We did reduce our hours for a while to stop our office from overcrowding in the afternoon, when the shifts overlap. I was actually quite happy I could still go to work, I get along well with my colleagues and it would have been a lonely lockdown without that.

I've got a small sound design bizz on the side, that's easy to do from home.

mxbison

March 2020 and I absolutely love it.

Company can't wait to get everyone back into the office though, I'm seriously considering looking for a new job because of that.

Since early last year, it's been a lifesaver. We had our second child last summer and both work full time. No way we could of both kept working if we had to go into the office.

Cattlyst

Been wfh since March 2020 and I really dislike it. Feels like I am in solitary confinement all day. No fun, no idle chit chat, no 'How's it going.' Nothing positive remains from the pre wfh days. Just endless monotony and being stuck in my house like a prisoner with zero human interaction. How do people see this as a positive?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Been wfh since March 2020 and I really dislike it. Feels like I am in solitary confinement all day. No fun, no idle chit chat, no 'How's it going.' Nothing positive remains from the pre wfh days. Just endless monotony and being stuck in my house like a prisoner with zero human interaction. How do people see this as a positive?
On one hand I like WFH but on the other hand I agree with you 100%. My apartment feels like a prison.

Top Bottom