• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those of you who like The Last of Us Part II, do you think that a remastered version would be worth a new purchase?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
As we all know, The Last of Us Remastered provides a significantly better experience relative to the original version of the game.

Whereas it runs in 1080p and 60 frames per second or in 4K at 30 frames per second and features higher-quality graphics and HDR, the original version runs at 720p with a targeted frame rate of 30 frames per second, is graphically less impressive, and runs in SDR.

Hence, the remaster is significantly better and - in my opinion - deserves to be purchased separately rather than be provided as a free upgrade to those who purchased the original.

Therefore, if Naughty Dog were to provide a similarly better remastering of Part II relative to the current version of Part II, I think that it will definitely require a separate purchase and deservedly so.

I imagine that such a remastering will either run in 1800p at 60 frames per second or 4K 30 frames per second, will feature better graphics that are closer or identical to the quality shown at the E3 presentation of 2018, and will come with the rumored multiplayer mode (which would have to be purchased separately for those who don't purchase the remaster).

As you can see in the video below, the retail version of the game has inferior graphics in some regards to what was shown at E3 of 2018. So, a remastering could definitely provide an increase in visual quality apart from resolution.

What do you guys think? Do you think that such a remaster should be a free upgrade or that a separate purchase would be justified (though obviously not preferred)? Also, would you buy it and when do you think it would be released?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Hence, the remaster is significantly better and - in my opinion - deserves to be purchased separately rather than be provided as a free upgrade to those who purchased the original.

Therefore, if Naughty Dog were to provide a similarly better remastering of Part II relative to the current version of Part II, I think that it will definitely require a separate purchase and deservedly so.

Why are some of you guys so obsessed with throwing your whole salary to Sony?

Doesn't mind a 20 euro price increase on games, and gets offended if you get a free upgrade.

Seriously, what the fuck is this? I've never seen anyone complaining about not giving a company enough money.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
If you want to play TLOU II on PS5 you have BC for that. You didn't have that for PS3, so they probably took the opportunity of upscaling the port at the time. I guess they could palm it off to bluepoint like UC but I don't think there is a need. I think most of us are expecting a 'remaster'/'goty' edition included with Factions as an incentive perhaps but nothing more.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Why are some of you guys so obsessed with throwing your whole salary to Sony?

Doesn't mind a 20 euro price increase on games, and gets offended if you get a free upgrade.

Seriously, what the fuck is this? I've never seen anyone complaining about not giving a company enough money.

You've misunderstood me. I would prefer that it be free but I still think that a new purchase would be deserved if the game were improved to the same extent as the remaster of the original.

The_Mike

You've misunderstood me. I would prefer that it be free but I still think that a new purchase would be deserved if the game were improved to the same extent as the remaster of the original.

I still it is crazy talk no matter how you put it. No game really deserves a double dip. I understand why people does it, to experience it a new hardware, but I still don't think any game deserves to be rebought because it is a remaster, let alone if the game came out one or two years on a previous gen to get rereleased on the next with that short time span.
Let alone a game that is as short at TLoU2.

cormack12

Gold Member

I guess it comes down to you personally? What would make you buy TLOU II Remastered (PS5) for £69.99?

It runs at fixed 1440p I think? Would dynamic res between 1800-2160 be enough?
It runs at 30fps, would 60fps be a requirement for you to consider?
The lighting is already really good with PBR and ND's deferred lighting systems so would RT change that much?

There's not enough there to justify rebuying the game imo. But equally I'm not expecting a free patch. I can see a Spider-Man situation maybe. They tidy it up and bundle it for Factions either later this year or next (to incentivise purchase), then make it available a few months later for those who own the original PS4 title for say £40.

sobaka770

Banned
If it's 80$ for owners of the original is kind of a rip-off. Id pay up to 40$ max and that's depending on what effort was put into the remaster.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I guess it comes down to you personally? What would make you buy TLOU II Remastered (PS5) for £69.99?

It runs at fixed 1440p I think? Would dynamic res between 1800-2160 be enough?
It runs at 30fps, would 60fps be a requirement for you to consider?
The lighting is already really good with PBR and ND's deferred lighting systems so would RT change that much?

There's not enough there to justify rebuying the game imo. But equally I'm not expecting a free patch. I can see a Spider-Man situation maybe. They tidy it up and bundle it for Factions either later this year or next (to incentivise purchase), then make it available a few months later for those who own the original PS4 title for say £40.

$50.00, like Spider-Man Remastered, and a resolution of 1800p at 60 frames per second with better character models and environmental details and an alternate native 4K mode at 30 frames per second (I don't think native 4K at 60 frames per second is possible) with Factions included.

Last edited:

The_Mike

$50.00, like Spider-Man Remastered, and a resolution of 1800p at 60 frames per second with better character models and environmental details and an alternate native 4K mode at 30 frames per second (I don't think native 4K at 60 frames per second is possible) with Factions included.
It sounds like a lot, but if the devs are competent, then they would already have better character models and textures, since it would have been in game articles downgradedd to the PS4. They already were making the PS5 game by then.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
It sounds like a lot, but if the devs are competent, then they would already have better character models and textures, since it would have been in game articles downgradedd to the PS4. They already were making the PS5 game by then.

It's not about whether or not the developers have to do new work but about the difference in visual quality and smoothness of gameplay that gamers would experience. Though I would prefer that it be free, I think that difference would be worth a new purchase. Furthermore, considering Sony's practice requiring a new purchase for all remasters, I don't think that this remaster would be free.

Bartski

Gold Member
since they haven't released a 60fps patch they must be busy preparing something way bigger than that, I'm in.

ethomaz

Banned
You probably don’t need a remaster for 60fps on PS5.

About the graphics I don’t think it will change that much... the first one biggest change on remaster was the framerate not graphics.

Last edited:

kyussman

I played the game on my base PS4 and it looked pretty great to me.I won't be buying another version any time soon regardless.

Jaxcellent

Although liked the game, I'm not dubbel dipping, free patch or GTFO. Sony would be wise to start with the free patches already, in a few years time, Microsoft will bring out some awesome new games, could mean some serious competition.

Caffeine

For the issues that I have with some occurances in the plot I dont think it was bad. In fact if they released both on pc I would rebuy them in a heart beat.

Ellery

It depends on the amount of work they put in. If they were just to unlock the framerate to 60fps (if that is possible for TLOU2 in the code) and up the resolution from 1440p (PS4 Pro) to native 4K then I would expect them to release it as a free patch, but a lot of time has passed since the PS5 came out where they could've done that already and I could imagine Naughty Dog to be a studio that adds a lot more to the game than simply that. A lot more work, maybe even new PS5 features like the feedback for the DualSense so a Remaster (in the same vein of TLOU1 though they had to fundamentally change a lot of things going from Cell to PS4) is a good possibility.

Maybe they aren't even working on TLOU2 anymore and the chapter is done for them and they are busy with other projects. Hard to say.

As someone who loves TLOU2 I always hope for more even if that means I have to buy a full AAA priced game again to enjoy that game again in even more glory on the PS5.
Then there is also factions which probably takes a lot of time. Will be interesting to see what Naughty Dog is up to in 2021 or if things to look forward to are far off.
Great thing with Naughty Dog is that you know they will deliver best in class quality and I can't wait to see what a true PS5 exclusive from ND would look like.

Also funny that the thread creators asks specifically for people who like the game and it doesn't take too long until some undesirables have to butt in.

Magog.

Banned
I think it would be scummy of Sony to make me buy it again considering it could easily be a $10 upgrade for existing owners.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I bought TLOU remaster and didnt even finish the main story. Only played Left Behind.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It'd be worth it just for accelerated loading.

On PS4/Pro loading specific sequences to replay random combat encounters is way too sluggish for my taste.

Its a real shame that the game as it stands doesn't really get the max mileage out of its very good action gameplay. The game could really use a "mission mode" type of deal like was added to Days Gone, as well as a multiplayer suite.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
honestly the game looked so fucking incredible on my Pro i cant see how they could improve it other than the obvious frame rate increase+resolution and that ain't worth a rebuy, that should be a fucking priority patch for those of us that own the game, besides i dont think i could put myself through that 30hr campaign again with so much else out there even if it was one of the best damn games ive ever played.

Valentino

Outside of adding ray-tracing I don’t see how they can improve it much since it already looks fantastic.
Absolutely this. When I’m playing the game I seriously can’t visualise what more can be done. I’m seriously not even gonna notice or be flawed if I see Ellie’s reflection in that shop window....
what else is there?

The E3 demo has it’s examples of looking better I guess? Make NPC’s as detailed as the main characters? But again, honestly that character model mounting Ellie in the video thumbnail didn’t pull me out the game.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
You probably don’t need a remaster for 60fps on PS5.

About the graphics I don’t think it will chance that much... the first one biggest chance on remaster was the framerate not graphics.
It ran at 1800p in 60fps mode on Pro so it was a substantial clarity increase also.

I'm replaying it right now on PS5. I don't think it needs a remaster. This game is far ahead in production values than basically any other game other than Red Dead Redemption 2.

I'm playing this with my wife, while playing AC Valhalla by myself. It's jarring how amateur Assassin's Creed and other AAA games feel when you play them right after a Naughty Dog game.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
giphy.gif

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Question about the game on Grounded: does the game provide less time on Grounded to beat Owen's score in the bow and arrow mini game?

I'm playing on Grounded and am at that part right now; I'm trying to earn the trophy for beating his score. However, I seem to have way less time than I did when I played this part on Survivor; I have about 15 seconds.

EDIT:

I was finally able to earn the trophy after a few more attempts.

Last edited:
To me it would be. Both Last of Us games are among my favourite games of all time.

That said I'm replaying it right now on PS5 and it looks just as good as actual PS5 games. So right now it's too soon for a remaster tbh.

Last of Us one is my most replayed single player game by far.

Last edited:
I am not buying a Remaster and I don't think I will buy the MP mode if they want extra money for that.
You haven't even seen it. The scope of it could be huge. Part 2 was worth the price. Nothing wrong with charging for a fully fledged multiplayer

Last edited:
As we all know, The Last of Us Remastered provides a significantly better experience relative to the original version of the game.

Whereas it runs in 1080p and 60 frames per second or in 4K at 30 frames per second and features higher-quality graphics and HDR, the original version runs at 720p with a targeted frame rate of 30 frames per second, is graphically less impressive, and runs in SDR.

I imagine that such a remastering will either run in 1800p at 60 frames per second or 4K 30 frames per second, will feature better graphics that are closer or identical to the quality shown at the E3 presentation of 2018, and will come with the rumored multiplayer mode (which would have to be purchased separately for those who don't purchase the remaster).

As you can see in the video below, the retail version of the game has inferior graphics in some regards to what was shown at E3 of 2018. So, a remastering could definitely provide an increase in visual quality apart from resolution.

What do you guys think? Do you think that such a remaster should be a free upgrade or that a separate purchase would be justified (though obviously not preferred)? Also, would you buy it and when do you think it would be released?

I would buy it twice if they make Ellie pretty again. I hate this bs of making the characters ugly so ugly women won't gget their feelings hurt.

Not going to buy a remaster for a game that is less than a year old and that is much inferior to it's prequel.

Maybe someday if it's 5 euros or something like that.

Top Bottom