• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those who believe Final Fantasy isn't as good as it used to be, what do you think made the classics so great in comparison?

Kumomeme

i used to think that final fantasy arent good as it used to be,

but from what i see what current ff is lacking compared to older ff is :
(FF13 and 15 is the 'turning point' of the series, separate it from the days where FF in their glory days)

• Worldbuilding - ffxiii has none of it
  • Big world scale - ff15 try to capture this, it is makesense why they try to do openworld but it is not easy)
  • Complete world - ff13 has no town, ff15 is rushed, unfinished, lot of area cant be explored.
  • Sense of journey (ff13 just linear path of endless walking. it feels more like marathon than a journey. ff15 try to capture this, but they not really well done as there lot of incomplete + rushed content (in this sense, xenoblade chronicles is the only game i can remember able to capture old ff sense of journey)
  • Proper prologue - ff15 prologue not in game. ff13 personally i consider none. it is important to has prologue as it will set the game tone and introduction to the world's world building toward players. (ff7 has midgar bombing, ff6 has narshe raid, ff5 of how main character meet and gained their job crystal, ff12 with earlier section as Vaan's brother etc you can think of it all)
  • Proper story structure - ff15 didnt have this. there is no proper starting prologue, middle, climax etc. it is rushed. suddenly it climax and suddenly reach end point of the game. even ff14 ARR better in this aspect. lack of this made the story feels incomplete, has plotholes, story not fleshed properly and rushing no matter how long the game it take.
  • Characters development and backstory - ff15 tied to anime and dlc. ff13 well..it done poor. walk>cutscene>walk>cutscene (try to compare it with ff6 for example)
  • Proper antagonist - ff13 i barely remember things about barthalendus. there is not even relation with main character at all. barthalendus probably doesnt bother if lighting is exist or not. ff15 has it tied behind dlc again and even with or without it, it is still either feels disconnected or done poor with rushed and plotholes plot.
  • Progression structure - old ff is a big, open area/open world with linear progression with player still can explore area around or return. it is nice balance between exploration and story driven aspect. ff13 is completely linear on rail. ff15 try to capture this, but overall feels like the game doesnt sure about how to do it. ( again, xenoblade chronicles is good example of how to do this right)
overall i dont think battle system is an issue. this is one of the aspect that the series maintained it(aside ff15 who just the combat flow lack of direction). another aspect that the series steadly maintained is the music and character design.

base on these point, lot of it 'fixed' with ff13-2. i believe reception would be different if ff13-2 is the ff13 instead. i purposely put aside ffviir as it is a multipart remake and no need to mention ff14 as it is the only modern ff that doing everything right. it is miles ahead of any square release these past decade, even on par to those old ff.

however, i believe it is not easy do develop game as how it is used to be. the game scope become bigger. graphics has more and more detail. world scale is bigger, more content, more voice, more higher level asset etc that made the development scope is way bigger, time and money consuming compared before. it is not same as develop 2D sprite game anymore. or even like developing for ps1 or ps2. that time devs can even create new engine for each title. since ps3 era where japanese devs struggle with developing 'HD games' there is more work scope added. even midgar only ffvii remake took 4 years. ff15 with incomplete content of the world also took around same time. there arent many modern game nowdays has size on par with older rpg game especially come with quality content. these game even cover whole huge continent or even a planet. even if there is any, it has lot of copypaste content. creating open world also not easy, design and technical wise(old ff basically open world. even pokemon games originaly envisioned as one). it is hard to create a ff game with same scope of old nowdays unless square has ubisoft number of staff and willingly to give atleast over 5-6 years of development like rockstar. there is also technical limitation or hurdles. square is not rockstar, ubisoft when come to creating big world. ffvii remake is good indicator. 4 years for only midgar. if want to remake whole ff6, i doubt in 4 years only they can cover half of the game. even if they handed the job to rockstar for example, i doubt it can be done in 4-5 years.

dont expect ff will be same scale and scope. but it still could be big as other big game out there. xenoblade chronicles, botw, witcher 3, and even something right in front of the face, ff14 is good example of what should be feasible. quantity vs quality wise.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

What counts as classic? ps2 era? ps1? SNES?

To me, 15 is the only one that really felt like a big step down. 13 did have a weak story and was linear but made up for it with fantastic combat and cool locations, a step-down but worth playing.

VIIR Remake is a huge return to form and I'd say it's probably the best in the series. But I think the one thing the older games have over it is a good world map.
If it has this logo , it's classic

2791038-screen%20shot%202015-10-17%20at%208.43.48%20pm.png

Last edited:

Rickyiez

Was asking OP specifically, I'd say FFXII is a classic for sure. it's 15 years old, I wont pretend it's just cause it doesn't feel that old to me.
Well you're quoting me so .. yeah . The context of classic here isn't just bound to the release date , it could also means being a "classic" or old times great .

Handel

The biggest thing for me is that as budgets and graphics increased, the games became more and more plot focused, and much less character focused. SE's plots can be interesting, but focused on too much they fall apart. This first starts to show with X, which is still a great FF imo, but it's strengths are it's setting and combat system more than it's characters...even if don't dislike some of them as much as I used to.

Most of the best FFs built the structure of their narrative to have whole sections dedicated to party members along the path of the main plot, whereas later entries have cut down on this significantly. It doesn't help that the parties in later entries are more often front loaded, rather than gathering them gradually over the course of the game as prior entries did.

Take FFVII for instance, almost all party members have their own story section, along with other moments they're a focus:

Cloud and Tifa : Nibelheim
Barret : Corel
Cid : trip to space, becomes party leader for a time
Yuffie: Wutai
Nanaki : Cosmo Canyon
Aerith : Temple/City of the Ancients

VI goes even further with it's character focus, given it's an ensemble. It splits the first small party you gather up early on to allow the focus to be on new additions in Cyan, Gau and Celes, while Setzer has a mini-arc just to draw him in. Most of the party members get significant story content in the World of Ruin on top of their earlier character spotlights..

IX has the Active Time Event system and jumping around between parties for the first half of the game as it's brilliant method of character focus.

Last edited:
Final Fantasy XV was much better than anything other than XIV and I say that as someone who grew up playing the original on NES. People are just creatures of habit.

• LOL
Reactions: Fuz

DelireMan7

When you say FFXV, do you mean the base game? Or do you mean after all the DLC are added and also including the movie?
After replaying the game a second time with all DLC this time, I really think the DLC brings very little to the story (and that the general criticism on that is exaggerated).Basically Ardyn DLC brings some info that should have been in the base game and the end of of Ignis DLC kind of bring something to the story but it's not groundbreaking.
Prompto and Gladiolus brings nothing to the main story.

Honestly I think you just need the movie and the base game to enjoy the story (which is pretty good for me but the storytelling and pacing are off). Ardyn's DLC if you want his backstory.

Sorry I am not the one you quoted but I feel like people are in general pretty harsh and tend to exaggerate criticism on "modern" Final Fantasy game. Like some already say that XVI will be bad because... because it's not an old FF basically.

I think people would prefer that FF be more Dragon quest which looks to keep many core design and mechanics. I've never play one of them wait but watched many videos about them and you clearly how they keep it the same but changing some stuff here and there.

I personally prefer the FF formula with the "kind of same universe with staple (chocobos, Cid, monsters...) but changes on every games" ending up with quite a gap between the first ones and the latest entry.

After replaying the game a second time with all DLC this time, I really think the DLC brings very little to the story (and that the general criticism on that is exaggerated).Basically Ardyn DLC brings some info that should have been in the base game and the end of of Ignis DLC kind of bring something to the story but it's not groundbreaking.

Honestly I think you just need the movie and the base game to enjoy the story (which is pretty good for me but the storytelling and pacing are off). Ardyn's DLC if you want his backstory.

Sorry I am not the one you quoted but I feel like people are in general pretty harsh and tend to exaggerate criticism on "modern" Final Fantasy game. Like some already say that XVI will be bad because... because it's not an old FF basically.

I think people would prefer that FF be more Dragon quest which looks to keep many core design and mechanics. I've never play one of them wait but watched many videos about them and you clearly how they keep it the same but changing some stuff here and there.

I personally prefer the FF formula with the "kind of same universe with staple (chocobos, Cid, monsters...) but changes on every games" ending up with quite a gap between the first ones and the latest entry.
So, will you be fine if future FF games all have a movie where all the cool plot stuff happens? Because you are saying it is not a big deal for most of the plot to not be In THE GAME.

"Here is Ghost ofTsushima 2! Except all the cool stuff are in a separate movie that you had to buy separately!"

DelireMan7

So, will you be fine if future FF games all have a movie where all the cool plot stuff happens? Because you are saying it is not a big deal for most of the plot to not be In THE GAME.

"Here is Ghost ofTsushima 2! Except all the cool stuff are in a separate movie that you had to buy separately!"
Again I see some exaggeration when you say "all the cool stuff happen in the movie" or "most of the plot not being in the game" but I'll pass on that.

It would have been better if everything was in the game but I also like the multi medium approach.

So yes if there is an "introduction movie" for the next FF I wouldn't be mad and would enjoyed it before jumping into the game.
But I understand the "milking the cow" marketing strategy that is despicable

Kadve

When three games get made staring someone's personal waifu. The franchise has a problem.

XV was a decent game. But it felt more like a spinoff than anything which it technically was after all.

Kimahri

Banned
I don't think anything will ever top that feeling of being plopped onto the world map in Final Fantasy IX for the first time, and hearing that music. It's just such a perfect come together of elements. You just feel tiny in a big unknown world.

I miss that. I think great graphics have just removed the possibility of that every returning. you filled in the gaps, like reading a book. The really special thing about it is that I still get the exact same feeling when I play one of these games. It's smaller, but feels so much grander.

The world map really is sorely missed. It added such a sense of scale. Each individual area wasn't necessarily that big, but it felt big, since every screen added an evolution and expansion to whichever area you were in. A few hours in and you were already on a long journey. A few hours in these days and you've barely seen the prologue.

When three games get made staring someone's personal waifu. The franchise has a problem.

XV was a decent game. But it felt more like a spinoff than anything which it technically was after all.
Ah, almost forget FFXV was originally an expansion of FFXIII. And all the flaws in its story are caused by not originally being stand alone.

So yeah, this is where DelireMan7 DelireMan7 and I differ in opinion. Final Fantasy games should NOT be a multi-medium franchise. Or at the very least, it needed a solid stand alone core like FF7 before you could make spinoffs off it. Square got greedy and decided on all the multimedia money, much like all the movie studios trying to build a film universe but fall flat on their face out the door.

Don't ASSUME your game is going to be beloved. You had to EARN that. Multiple game studios over the years made that mistake thinking that they have already made a popular game, and prematurely try to milk it before the fanbase even existed.

Making a game stand-alone is important, because customers have no reason to pay extra money just to enjoy your game. Your game had to be enjoyable by itself first and foremost, or you already failed.

Fuz

Banned
I don't maybe off the top of my head... the fantasy? FF needs to stop being a sci-fi series.
It's not sci-fi.
i.e. Star Wars is fantasy too.
You mean medieval setting as opposed to technological/futuristic setting.

Yes, I'm pedantic.

KiteGr

The Final Fantasy games of the PS1 (the point where I jumped in as a European) where pushing boundaries. The Japanese industry was atop of their games, as they've put effort in Videogames when few other western companies did. The Japanese games where vibrant and colorful and placed huge emphasis in the story.
YIkKlr5.jpg
OBWEJOk.jpg

This all changed IMO with the PS3 era. Suddenly, with the exception of few high profile developers, Japan couldn't compete with the Western Developers who have done their homework, and being used to over the top machines from PC games could suddenly surpass most Japanese games in terms of power, story and quality. Since Voice acting became the norm, Japanese games had to be dubbed and not merely translated, and as it often happens when dubbing, created some very cringy performances. On the other hand, wester games often hired amazing actors like Andy Serkis giving performances that gave most movies a run for their money.
Another aspect where the Japanese market begat to falter, is that the few companies capable to produce high profile games become a bit toothless, when it comes to violence, showing over-the-top super moves and acrobatics with devastating attacks, and not showing a single drop of blood, making everyone bleed sparks and pixy dust and fatal wounds appear as dirt.
Also, when the graphics become photorealistic, it becomes harder to take seriously the more extreme aspects of fantasy games. The skimpy characters, the lack of blood and the cartoon dialogue don't fit a photorealistic game. When SE made FF7 they purposely leaned towards the Anime graphics specifically to avoid the emersion loss.
NwCoy2h.jpg
0qMCvZt.jpg

Case and point: Nothing Convince me that these are normal humans in real Situation. They look more like cosplays.

Now lets go to the Final Fantasy games.

All of the recent games where incomplete, toothless and/or salvaged projects.
FF 10 was unfinished, but at least you had to look deep into it to see the the missing aspects, the incomplete mechanism and the recycled content.
FF 12 was originally designed with Bash as the main character, but as SE would had none of it, they created Van, who was pretty much non-existent in the story. I also believe that at some point it was intended to be multiplayer.
FF 13 was a trainwreck. It lacked towns, was linear as fuck and the most important information was hidden into it's encyclopedia. Worst of all, it was linear as fuck!
FF 14 was a disaster. One that had to be remade from scratch in order to be salvaged.
FF 15 embodies all of the problems! The game reeks of unfinished-ness. The story is spread through other mediums, movies, DLCs, mobile crap and anime, most of which had to be bought separately. The world made no sense, the story made no sense, all the dark aspects of the game had been ripped out. It was through and through an unfinished hastily salvaged project!

So, as to what SE could do to revive the series... The answer is obviously not to make a "classic 16 bit game". That era is gone! If they where to move forward, they have to evolve, as they rightfully try.
What they should do is:
  1. Ignore the legacy. They should try to make a GOOD GAME first, an FF GAME later. The can add the trademark FF aspects later.
  2. Finish it! Seriously! Aim for something smaller or simpler if you have to.
  3. Mature it. I find the recent game's attempts to "make the game ok for all ages" insulting. Making toothless games with all the violence and adult content stripped out, and pretending people don't have sex in the world make us think less of the overall game.
  4. Stylize it! If they are planning to go over-the-top, then they should stop focusing on photorealistic graphics. All golden age games had a different style.
  5. Consider hiring western writers. The dialogues of most characters tend to appear Anime-ish and Stereotyp-y. It would be easier to have a proper writer write human dialogue, and then translate that to Japanese. The characters will sound more like humans and less like... "characters", and from the Japanese's perspective, it'll appear as a translated Hollywood movie.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sorry, to me its still mostly a case of "is different, me not like".

Its the flipside of why all the many faults of FF9 and Lost Odyssey get brushed under the carpet; its all about the tone and structure.

I mean consider all the demands for a traditional "world map". In and of itself it adds virtually nothing because when all's said and done functionally its still a glorified menu. So you can zip around on a simplified representation of the game world. It doesn't actually add a lot to the gameplay!

I get the psychological value of the "wall break" where you discover the explored world has stuff beyond that which you've been exposed to within the campaign - although typically its nearly always just more of the same -like a bonus dungeon or whatever. But if you look at Yoko Taro's stuff, I feel he handles this much better and with far greater impact.

Allandor

A problem with this is, that they had their fans over time. And if you are a fan e.g. of football games, you don't want to buy a basketball game with the name of the football series. Just rename it and everybody understands that it is not the same game series ;)
Lost Odyssey and Octopath Traveler are more of the "classic" FF games than the latest FF installments.

Also I don't think the game need mature content. Yes we grew up over time, but why do all stories need sex and brutality in them? If it doesn't add something, just leave it out. FF was always relative family friendly. FFVX is not. and FFXVI goes more into the direction of Devil may cry. If the developers want to make such a game, just don't call it so. Just give us the "football" game it used to be ;)

DelireMan7

A problem with this is, that they had their fans over time. And if you are a fan e.g. of football games, you don't want to buy a basketball game with the name of the football series. Just rename it and everybody understands that it is not the same game series ;)
Lost Odyssey and Octopath Traveler are more of the "classic" FF games than the latest FF installments.

Also I don't think the game need mature content. Yes we grew up over time, but why do all stories need sex and brutality in them? If it doesn't add something, just leave it out. FF was always relative family friendly. FFVX is not. and FFXVI goes more into the direction of Devil may cry. If the developers want to make such a game, just don't call it so. Just give us the "football" game it used to be ;)
I understant but at the same I think changes is part of the DNA of the series.

I know the series since VII (but my first entry was X) and with my friends we describe them as "each games is set in a different universe from the others but they have some common elements". I guess that sticked with me and that why I don't mind the changes on each new entry. I wish there was a bit more Fantasy but so far I am fine with the formula.

I guess for those whom are into it since the NES/SNES it's more difficult since at that time hardware limitations made the game looked quite similar. And the changes were probably not that drastic.

I don't know about mature content. I like the kind of childish vibe of X and IX. But VII was quite dark and good. I guess it depends on what it brings to the full experience.

In the end it's always the same and eternal question : What is a Final Fantasy game?
And I guess there are as many answers as players.
For some it should be turn based.
For some it should be full Fantasy settings.
For some Sagakuchi should be involved.
Etc...

What ever they make part of the fan will claim it's not a true Final Fantasy.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I always love when people reveal the fact that they never played the series.

• XIII is an ensemble cast with almost no main character. Vanille narrates the whole thing, and there's large chunks of the game without Lightning in the party.
  • XIII-2 literally barely has Lightning in it, and stars two new playable characters.
  • LR, Lightning is the starring role for one game.

I always love when people reveal the fact that they never played the series.

• XIII is an ensemble cast with almost no main character. Vanille narrates the whole thing, and there's large chunks of the game without Lightning in the party.
  • XIII-2 literally barely has Lightning in it, and stars two new playable characters.
  • LR, Lightning is the starring role for one game.
It doesn't change the fact that in the first game, the game ends when Lightning dies in battle. Why even do that? It never worked that way for any other FF game. If that doesn't make her the main character i don't know what does.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It doesn't change the fact that in the first game, the game ends when Lightning dies in battle. Why even do that? It never worked that way for any other FF game. If that doesn't make her the main character i don't know what does.
Lightning's not even in the party for the entire game, so that's wrong as well. You have lots of sections where you play as other characters. Then when you can finally pick your party near the end, you can take her out of it there as well.

They obviously had a battle system in the first one where you control 1 character, and it's game over when they die. This was adjusted in part 2 though.

Last edited:
Lightning's not even in the party for the entire game, so that's wrong as well. You have lots of sections where you play as other characters. Then when you can finally pick your party near the end, you can take her out of it there as well.

They obviously had a battle system in the first one where you control 1 character, and it's game over when they die. This was adjusted in part 2 though.
Too bad that people aren't going to pay for part 2 if they don't like part 1.

You only get one shot to make a good first impression. People are ready to give the series a chance after each FF reset, but telling them to buy part 2 when they didn't like part 1 is a step too far.

It's like a three part novel where book 1 was horrible. Doesn't matter how godly the rest of the books were, i am not reading the series.

Get it right the first time or get burned. The "fix it later" mentality is a curse on the gaming industry.

Rat Rage

The original series was great because:

- they were deveolped by a team of amazing people
- who followed their vision of "developing the best JRPG(s)"
- they were JRPG's ("Duh"!!)

"New" (Non-) Final Fantasy is shit because:

- they are developed by fewer of these amazing people
- who only follow industry trends with the sole goal of making a "videogame-product" that sells well, even if that means to completely change its Final Fantasy IP's identity (genre).
- they are not JRPG's anymore ("Duh"!!)

Or simply put: The classic series is amazing, because they are "Final Fantasy", while the "new" series "...isn't as good as it used to be", because they are simply not "Final Fantasy" anymore.

Actually, you can't even compare Final Fantasy XI, XIV, XV and - ironically - Final Fantasy 7 Remake (<-- lol!) to the older games, because they are totally different things.

In that sense, the answer can be formulated differenty: the old Final Fantasy series were genre-defining JRPGs masterpieces, while the "new" Final Fantasy series consists of 2 somewhat good MMO's +1 shit action game (+ 1 mediocre action game like FF7R).

GodofWhimsy

You were between the ages of 8 and 15. none of the FF narratives hold up to modern standards. They were mind-blowing for a non-standards having kid.

Just my perspective on the topic, but I am totally biased in believing most JRPG's have nonsense for narratives.

_Ex_

Just my perspective on the topic, but I am totally biased in believing most JRPG's have nonsense for narratives.

I agree. I have been playing JRPGs since 1987, starting with Phantasy Star. I still play JRPGs today, even modern ones, but there are two sore points that continue to stick out for me: High encounter rates grate my nerves quickly, and 90% of JRPGs have absolutely awful amateur hour writing. But even as a kid I wasn't playing JRPGs for the writing. I was playing them for their battle systems and world exploration.

Anyway, what made the older FFs better, was definitely the pacing. From FF7 onward, narrative exploitation took center stage and the game flow slowed down significantly as a result. FF6 and back were simply snappier, punchier, the pacing was much better. In one hour you might explore a town, finish a dungeon, beat a boss, and have gone through a few cutscenes with a pre-FF7 FF game.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It isnt nostalgia. I can go back and play old games for the first time now and love them just as much as stuff I grew up with. There were plenty of old games I hated that I grew up with too including some of the Final Fantasies. While we we're at it dont tell us why we like something if you dont even know any of us. If you dont have anything to actually contribute to the discussion other than the usual nostalgia "argument" than dont bother posting.

I contributed, you just didn't like the message.

EruditeHobo

It's simple, as far as I'm concerned:

The best the series had to offer, which is probably FF6 through FF10/12 or so, was timed perfectly with the contemporary technology of the medium to essentially pioneer the epic, cinematic video game narrative -- it got the best out of the end of he cartridge era, and then made the transition to discs taking full advantage of the technological advances and commanding them in service of their games. It was novel, the way that those stories were writ large using the right technology, which was for the first time capable of displaying/building a gigantic fantasy backdrop.

Secondarily, the best of the series always included some tried-and-true engrossing progress/leveling mechanics, which had long been a part of RPG games but were never quite matched with this kind of cinematic story. Those two things in combination made that era in the 90s unique. It's why JRPGs broke through into the mainstream in a big way, as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Your message is "I never liked Final fantasy back when they were most popular". Which really translates to "I was never a fan of FF and don't know why this thread exists."

I actually quite like Final Fantasy. When FF VI came out I spent hours at Fry's Electronics taking turns playing a demo of the game and subsequently played the game numerous times on numerous systems). I think - minus Vaan - that FFXII has some of the best writing in a video game.

. . .my comment still stands which was about the quality difference between old and new FF; not whether FF as a whole was a good franchise. I will be there day one to play FF XVI, but I have no doubt it will be another overwrought story - like most of them are.

This is a problem that I think can be said for many (if not all) 3D games; what made games like the PS1 era Final Fantasies so special was the sense of wonder and imagination that it’s pre-rendered backgrounds invoked. Playing them felt like playing on a beautifully painted still-life portrait. I would always have a sense of wonder and imaginings of what lied beyond the pre-rendered cities (“what does the rest of Midgar look like?”) despite never knowing, those wonderings were the source of the “magic” that made those games special. 3-d games (open worlds especially) destroy that sense of imagination. There’s nothing left to wonder because I know what everything looks like.
The same can be said about the classic Resident Evil games, which is why I could never elevate the recent remakes to the heights of the originals.

Additionally, these games are accompanied by incredible soundtracks (that still holds up today), and, in its day, despite poorly written, a block-buster like epic story that unlike anything in the market. Today’s soundtracks, particularly AAA, sound way too generic, safe, and by the books.

This isn’t to say that there aren’t good soundtracks or that 3-d games are bad, it just feels like the element of mystery is gone in certain games.

- Soundtrack
- Level/Progression system
- Equipment system
- Characters
- Sidequests
- Simpler and better stories without weird names (fuck fal'cie and la'cie)

Arsic

Gold Member
If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to play for example FF2 or FF 13, I would gladly 100% platinum trophy FF13.

Nostalgia and tinted glasses can't fix the old titles having awful pacing, slow combat, and barely memorable stories/cast.

I'd argue FF1 to 3 are the worst titles.

The most recent games, FF13 and FF15, to me, are great games with small stumbles in the overall package.

The peak is the 7 to 12 eras. There was a lot of first time moments in gaming being had. New ideas and systems being explored. Worlds being built for the first time. Writers penning better stories.

For FF16 to be amazing like those games, it's a matter of focus.

Ff15 for example after all its DLC is a total package worth playing. It lost focus in its 13th chapter on release, and needed a prequel movie tie in.

FF16 is in great hands. It's my most anticipated game currently. Everything discussed and shown so far has the blueprint for a greatest in franchise potential.

taylor34

Neo Member
I played through FF15, but relative to like FF's before 10 it's pretty lackluster. They're pretty silly to a degree, but the 'cup of noodles' in FF15 was just the last straw. :)

Ma-Yuan

A halfway understandable story and also a finished game makes the old ones great.

I still think gameplay wise newer games are great also graphics and sound are still top notch but the fucking stories and characters are a joke. Especially FFXV is a God damn joke... I finished the game and I was like wtf did I just play and why is it over now... If I come just for the gameplay I can play other games. I need purpose if i invest 40+ hours...

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Eh...

I've tried Dragon Quest. I mean these are ok...but on the scale of Final Fantasy? No shot.

Closest thing for me as far as competition are games like Parasite Eve, Secret of Mana. Zelda.

I should maybe give Xenoblade another shot though. Admittedly I never really gave it a chance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom