• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those who can't play Panzer Dragoon Orta at 480p...

joaomgcd

...I just found a trick that enabled me to play it at that res.

Don't know if it's old news or not, but if you try to play Panzer Dragoon Orta at 480p and get a garbled mess instead of a decent picture, try this out if your Xbox is modded (hard-modded, soft-modded, whatever):

- Boot to a (non-MS) dashboard so you have IGR (in game reset) enabled
- Boot the game; you'll still have a messy screen
- Soft-reset the game (with softmods it's usually Start+Back+R+L)
- Magically play the game at 480p

I don't know why this works or if there is another way, but it worked for me, so I thought someone might be interested in this. :)

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
hmm, thanks I might have to softmod to try it :lol
The sad thing is, when I called MS they had no clue what was wrong (that was 14 months ago)

Hellraizah

I've seen the same problem with Fable one time.

All you had to do to fix it was connect to a broadband connection and "fake" a new subscription to Xbox Live. Before asking for your infos, Xbox Live updates some files on your Xbox, and magically fixed Fable garbled mess in 480p.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Hellraizah said:

All you had to do to fix it was connect to a broadband connection and "fake" a new subscription to Xbox Live. Before asking for your infos, Xbox Live updates some files on your Xbox, and magically fixed Fable garbled mess in 480p.

I don't think it fixed PDO though, though it has been ages since I tried it.. hmm maybe it did

joaomgcd

Yeah, that worked for fable, but not for PDO. This works for me though, still waiting for someone else to report back.. :D

Ryck

joaomgcd said:
Yeah, that worked for fable, but not for PDO. This works for me though, still waiting for someone else to report back.. :D
Doesn't hitting those buttons knock it back to 480i....I know it does on the dashboard

joaomgcd

If I press Start+Back+R+L with my softmod enabled, I trigger a soft-reset... It doesn't revert back to 480i. Just loads whatever is in the drive, or my dashboard, if nothing's in the drive.

Ryck

joaomgcd said:
If I press Start+Back+R+L with my softmod enabled, I trigger a soft-reset... It doesn't revert back to 480i. Just loads whatever is in the drive, or my dashboard, if nothing's in the drive.
Ah yeah but um it will still play it at the res it should, does your tv auto switch between res's

joaomgcd

It's not my TV that changes the res. It's my Xbox. And, as I stated earlier, I don't know why it suddenly changes to 480p with PDO after a soft-reset, but the fact is, that it does. :p

bill0527

Hellraizah said:

I don't know who came up with that, but its way too much damn work to get Fable to run in 480p. The easiest way is to just start up your Xbox by hitting the eject button, put the Fable disc in and then close it with the eject button. Don't use the power button at all. It starts up in 480p every time doing it this way. (U.S. version with my dashboard 480p enabled)

joaomgcd

bill0527 said:
I don't know who came up with that, but its way too much damn work to get Fable to run in 480p. The easiest way is to just start up your Xbox by hitting the eject button, put the Fable disc in and then close it with the eject button. Don't use the power button at all. It starts up in 480p every time doing it this way. (U.S. version with my dashboard 480p enabled)

Another way is to press both analog-sticks (IIRC) while on the MS-Dashboard, to make it (the dashboard) display at 480p. After that fable works fine too.

Edit: doh, missed the last sentece of your post sorry :p

Ryck

joaomgcd said:
It's not my TV that changes the res. It's my Xbox. And, as I stated earlier, I don't know why it suddenly changes to 480p with PDO after a soft-reset, but the fact is, that it does. :p
I KNOW THAT........what Im asking is if it auto switches between 480p, 480i etc Because thats how you can tell, I have a modded box but no PDO so I can't test it myself I do know that fable boots fine from avalaunch (480p).

joaomgcd

Ryck said:
I KNOW THAT........what Im asking is if it auto switches between 480p, 480i etc Because thats how you can tell, I have a modded box but no PDO so I can't test it myself I do know that fable boots fine from avalaunch (480p).

Oh yeah, sorry. It does auto-switch between resolutions, and I can tell which resolution is displaying at any time, by pressing a button on a remote.

Top Bottom