• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those who don't own a Wii U - These are the load times people complain about

I noticed in a thread last week that had some pictures of Sim City and people were shocked at how small the cities were. Obviously everyone in the official threads knew, but if you weren't actually looking for Sim City info you may not have actually stumbled upon a picture.

With that in mind I made a video last night of how long it takes to install Punch Out!, a 36mb game. If you haven't seen how slow the Wii U OS is you're in for a shocking treat.

http://youtu.be/RqlHIslONT4

I really dig my wii u but nintendo needs to fix this crap. And with reports of how slow the processor is I'm not sure how much they actually can :/

Edit: This is even better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXDq3b4QpcQ

this is the slowness people are complaining about.

I have a feeling all the delays to do everything are going to be even more glaring, and a problem for Nintendo, once gamers get used to being able to play games while they download on PS4/Xbox, and their consoles have sleep modes and thus are always on. The amount of time it takes to download and then install, and *then* start a game on Wii U is worse than PS3, which itself lags far behind 360. I can't for the life of me grasp how Nintendo managed that on a brand new console.

its installing that is not what people are complaining about with "SLOWNESS"

Everything is what people are complaining about with the slowness. Installs, starting software, exiting software. The whole thing is absurdly slow.

And if anyone is wondering this is off the memory included in the deluxe, I don't have a USB HD hooked up yet.

gogogow

I have a feeling all the delays to do everything are going to be even more glaring, and a problem for Nintendo, once gamers get used to being able to play games while they download on PS4/Xbox, and their consoles have sleep modes and thus are always on. The amount of time it takes to download and then install, and *then* start a game on Wii U is worse than PS3, which itself lags far behind 360. I can't for the life of me grasp how Nintendo managed that on a brand new console.

That is possible on the Wii U.

Meelow

Banned
Can't wait till the update comes, than we won't have to deal with the 'slow OS' anymore and we can finally be at piece :)

Mrbob

Lego City took about 40 minutes to install.

Yeah, you need to be prepared to make multiple sandwiches when dealing with the Wii U eshop. Strangely, the 3DS eshop is way better (despite being older). I'm guessing it is because they don't compress the files for download. But I mean, even the layout is better. If you click on a game page on 3DS there is an option to download a demo if available. On Wii U you have to click on the game page, and then click additional info to find the demo. Whaaa? Makes no sense.

I agree. It took me 3 hours to download Monster Hunter on my 50mb cable (5gb - would take me about 18 minutes on steam) and then it took 38 minutes to install.

gogojira

The load times I complain about involve doing anything outside of the current program loaded up. Backing out, going Home, loading MiiVerse; it's absurd.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
That wasn't terrible. I think you need to relax a little bit. Your game didn't install fast enough, so that is not the worst thing in the world. The whole video was 2:43 seconds. It took about a minute to install....I don't really see a huge problem.

pixlexic

Banned
The load times I complain about involve doing anything outside of the current program loaded up. Backing out, going Home, loading MiiVerse; it's absurd.

yes exactly its not the installing .. we have got use to that on the ps3. its the OS slowness.

I want that fixed. installing is the lowest issue on the list.

Mrbob

It's bad. I won't even load up those applications anymore because I get annoyed by the wait time. Even going to the damn system menu takes like 15 seconds.

SmokyDave

I've only owned a Wii-U for about 7 hours and 5 of those have been spent updating / patching / installing stuff. It really is slooooooow.

Camp Lo

Banned
That wasn't terrible. I think you need to relax a little bit. Your game didn't install fast enough, so that is not the worst thing in the world. The whole video was 2:43 seconds. It took about a minute to install....I don't really see a huge problem.

This, big time. It was if though you were standing on stage in front of people; you sounded shellshocked. In that video, not in general.

God fucking damn

At the :20 mark, I was like wow, that's pretty fucking slow to see the settings. As I'm typing right now it still hasn't loaded.

TedNindo

I miss ramming in a cart pressing start twice and playing at less time then it takes current systems to boot. Somehow, somewhere technology took a step backwards.

Mrbob

It's a 36mb file. Why is it taking longer than under one second to install?

Extrapolate this size upwards and you can see the problem.

totowhoa

Banned

can't tell if you're serious or not.

he used a small NES game so he wouldn't have to upload a two hour video to make his point. the Wii U's install times are atrocious. this is just a 36mb game, man.

You'll be able to do that on the upcoming consoles?

Yes. Sony already announced the feature. And it was rumored to be part of the next Xbox before Sony announced it. They're not the first to do it. Blizzard has been doing it for years.

Lego City's loading is so terrible. Luckily it's few and far between unless you're b lining it to every story mission.

And the game is still so fun that it doesn't bother me.

nekomix

I miss ramming in a cart pressing start twice and playing at less time then it takes current systems to boot. Somehow, somewhere technology took a step backwards.

Good ol' times... why has even Nintendo, the one which praises fast loading times in games, console dedicated to games, fallen in this trap? It's a real pain on PS360, why... why them? !

Top Bottom