• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those who don't own a Wii U - These are the load times people complain about

Honestly, I don't understand why the Wii U doesn't just do the installation automatically when the games done downloading. It can do the downloading in the background while playing games, why do I have to stop playing and look at a menu bar for installation? Just disable to power down feature while installing (just like it does when you pick to install a game) and make trying to turn the wii u off jump to the downloads installation menu instead.

GAMERG0D

Quite honestly, I'd say that all three are pretty slow now. The PS3 XMB is somewhat snappy at bootup, but slows down to a crawl in most games.
The consoles are showing their age, I don't think there's anything MS or Sony can do to make their UIs faster, Nintendo just needs to utilize the hardware better with their updates.

pixlexic

Banned
Honestly, I don't understand why the Wii U doesn't just do the installation automatically when the games done downloading

Like the ps3 the wiiu uses a different file format for its storage. Which means it has to move things around when it installs a game. it does not fragment data like a windows format. Hence if you are using a application that is streaming from the disk then it is not possible to move the data.

But like the ps3 nintendo could opt for a poweroff install. the 3ds does this as well I think.

Doing things on the Wii U is slow no doubt. But the slowness makes itself even more apparent with that damn waiting sound effect. It's like having Jeopardy music playing while you're waiting. You can't help but notice how damn long everything takes.

Wiz

Huh. I don't remember mine taking that long at all.

But yeah, Wii U is very slow, everyone knows this.

Ok, im off to work. I just wanted to raise 3 flame shields for while i'm gone.

1. I am a nintendo fan. I have a Wii U, for chrisssssssake!

2. I know that installs aren't the only thing people complain about. I just figured that 2 minutes for 36MB was absurd so it's what i filmed.

3. I talk slow at the beginning for comedic effect (someone on youtube, of all places, got that) but the quivering is just my natural bullshit voice.

Ok, have at me. But seriously, Nintendo, fix this.

Edit: Updated the OP with the better video as well.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
that is why the bring the huge april update.
relax, all will be fine

You know what. I don't believe Nintendo. I still can't believe they release the OS in this state in the first place. I can't believe someone at Ninty didn't say that it's as slow as a week in the jail.

Surely someone at Nintendo must have noticed.

kitsuneyo

The OS being slow sucks and it's annoying, but installing games is something I only do now and again so I don't really mind.

Good ol' times... why has even Nintendo, the one which praises fast loading times in games, console dedicated to games, fallen in this trap? It's a real pain on PS360, why... why them? !
Inexperience.

Probably thought it was going to be easier to pull off than it obviously is.

pixlexic

Banned
You know what. I don't believe Nintendo. I still can't believe they release the OS in this state in the first place. I can't believe someone at Ninty didn't say that it's as slow as a week in the jail.

Yeah a lot of things about the os screams unfinished and last min.

The 3ds OS does a lot more than the wiiu os and its practically the same thing.

Alebrije

Are those videos old and this has been fixed? because my console does not take that time, is so much faster to load those menus..

StevieP

Banned

What if this isn't an OS in the traditional sense that you and I consider an OS? What if, for security reasons, the *entire* thing reloads from a hypervisor of sorts for every non-social persistent function (i.e. MiiVerse and the web browser would count as an always-running function - the "OS" would not) function as a piracy prevention method? What if installing software creates a virtual machine of sorts for every piece of software to continue along those lines?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I guess I'm floored that we're still discussing something that's been beaten into the ground since Wii U launch. Slow OS is old news. What remains to be seen is what can be done to fix this in the Spring and Summer updates. At that point we'll really be able to assess how much of this was due to bad hardware and how much was due to bad code.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yeah a lot of things about the os screams unfinished and last min.

Yeah. Whilst I don't want to bring in my iPad into this. It has a lot lower working memory with a less powerful CPU and apps are pulled from flash memory and everything loads just about instantly on it.

I've got no idea why it takes 60 seconds to load up stuff on WiiU. The OS is crap.

I remember videos of that WWE game on the PSP with really slow load times (like it was something like 6 minutes to get from title screen to a match) and Benny Hill music. Are we going to need a Wii U version soon?

The 3ds OS does a lot more than the wiiu os and its practically the same thing.
And even this one tests my patience. First time I powered my system I thought it was broken due to how long the menu took to load.

I wonder how much of the slowness is down to miiverse. like how when you visit a web page and it dsoesn't finish loading because the ad server is being hammered...

VanWinkle

Are those videos old and this has been fixed? because my console does not take that time, is so much faster to load those menus..

The settings load times video is old. I just ran the test myself and it now takes a lightning quick 45 seconds from entering the settings to going back to the Wii U menu.

cyberheater

What if this isn't an OS in the traditional sense that you and I consider an OS? What if, for security reasons, the *entire* thing reloads from a hypervisor of sorts for every non-social persistent function (i.e. MiiVerse and the web browser would count as an always-running function - the "OS" would not) function as a piracy prevention method? What if installing software creates a virtual machine of sorts for every piece of software to continue along those lines?

It would not surprise me but from a consumer point of view. I really don't care. I want a really quick (near instant) slick games console OS with lots of functionality. That should have been their number one design goal.

Goodlife

I'm sure 99% of the time people go into system settings, it's to do nothing more than time it.

Christ sake, the WiiU has many problems, taking a long time to go into a menu setting you're probably going to use one a year isn't a big deal

zigg

But like the ps3 nintendo could opt for a poweroff install. the 3ds does this as well I think.
What does this mean, exactly? I'm pretty sure I've done the following:

- started an eShop download

- set it to power off when finished, went to bed

- powered on the system again in the morning and found the download was installed and ready to use

Unless I'm going totally crazy.

As for the 3DS, you can set something to "Download Later" and, if the system is sleeping at the HOME menu, it will download and install. There is no real "install" step on the 3DS though.

lucius

Oh man that is worst than I thought it would be, so at least now I know I defintely won't buy it until they improve that, whether it done through software or hardware they will fix it some how.

Bob White

This is interesting to me. I don't have a Wii U, but I've been looking in the hard lock and long loading topics like this one. It seems like half the people don't have these long loads or hard locks, and these people say "maybe its something with your system" to the people with problems.

Now, what if it is their systems and not the OS, what happens when the spring/summer updates don't do anything for them? Are they shit out of luck?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm sure 99% of the time people go into system settings, it's to do nothing more than time it.

Christ sake, the WiiU has many problems, taking a long time to go into a menu setting you're probably going to use one a year isn't a big deal
I have to go into the settings to fix my connection anytime I move my Wii U slightly because the wifi connection sucks ass. I don't have that problem with any of my other devices (handhelds/consoles/laptops/phone).

wsippel

Banned
Yes. Sony already announced the feature. And it was rumored to be part of the next Xbox before Sony announced it. They're not the first to do it. Blizzard has been doing it for years.
Will depend on the game and still require a sizable part of the game to be downloaded before it can actually boot up.

VanWinkle

This is interesting to me. I don't have a Wii U, but I've been looking in the hard lock and long loading topics like this one. It seems like half the people don't have these long loads or hard locks, and these people say "maybe its something with your system" to the people with problems.

Now, what if it is their systems and not the OS, what happens when the spring/summer updates don't do anything for them? Are they s*** out of luck?

Here's the thing, though. Why are there so many videos of the long load times but none from the people claiming that their load times are not remotely like those in the videos? I can only assume they haven't properly timed them.

The video was posted on Nov 19, 2012. The OS is not near as slow as what's on the video.

Someone already said something about that. I timed it doing the same test and it's gone from 1min to now being 45sec.

Raide

Only spent an hour on my Wii-U so far. 10% of the time setting it up. Damn, how many cables on this thing? The other 90% was sitting while it does a massive update. Just about finished, so I will see what the fuss is about.

From the off, apart from the cables, I kinda wish the screen on the pad was a bit bigger but I am surprised at how light it is. Again, I have not put any gametime into anything, so I am not sure what is ends up being like.

Erasus

I agree. It took me 3 hours to download Monster Hunter on my 50mb cable (5gb - would take me about 18 minutes on steam) and then it took 38 minutes to install.

Woah, on PS3 only GT5 is that slow to install and what they do is copy a large 12GB archive to HDD, then unpack THAT so small files needs to constantly be written to HDD

USC-fan

Banned

Then its a terrible design but explains why they haven't made it better. Its like rebooting the console anything you do anything.

At this point it wouldn't surprised me at all.

gemoran4

What I don't understand is that the 3DS OS is pretty fast (or at least no where near this bad). How did they butcher the Wii U's OS so badly??

I was going to confirm or refute this, but since my WiiU is 6 feet away from my router, which is apparently an insurmountable wireless distance, I cannot connect to the eShop unless I disconnect my WiiU and place it physically next to the router.

And I ain't even mad. Nintendo is what it is, and expecting anything more from them is my mistake.

Okay, that's bad. Did a much better job of demonstrating the slowness than OP's video.
That's also a video from November.

Yeaaaah, thats painful to watch. I think I'll hold out getting this until they find out how to fix it (if they can). Is every menu like this? Does it take 10 minutes to play a Wii game?
It took me 1 minute and 30 seconds (stopwatch'd) to do all of the following:
1) Confirm my system's date and time change.
2) Exit to the main screen.
3) Boot up Monster Hunter 3U.
4) Download an update to Monster Hunter 3U.
5) Install an update for Monster Hunter 3U.
6) Reboot Monster Hunter 3U.
7) Hit "New Game".

The slow OS is really exaggerated, and people should stop posting videos from around the system's launch to make it look like there's still a problem. The OS isn't lightning speed, but if someone can't handle all of the stuff I listed above taking a minute and a half, I think the problem is more with that person's patience than the system.

DrWong

Yes. Sony already announced the feature. And it was rumored to be part of the next Xbox before Sony announced it. They're not the first to do it. Blizzard has been doing it for years.

This has been possible since many years now on PC, with certain techno used with digital PC gaming subscription model. My company use it. Depending the game and how datas are structured, the time spent on its packaging, you can make a game playable when only part of it is installed while it's still downloading and installing the rest. With certain games - like point & click - you can package it to be playable when only 20% or 30% of the game is installed. The more the build-master is complex, the more it's difficult to do it because you need to identify which are the files to prioritize in order to let you begin to play. Sometimes the game can't work without at least 50, 60, 70 % (or even more) being installed. Again, the way the build works, how it launches etc. determine that.

Yeah, I wonder how that works, a game isn't the same as streaming a video. With games getting bigger and bigger in size.......amazing if it's indeed possible.

Again, in the cases I know it works like that (simple case): you identify which are the mandatory files/datas needed to begin to play and prioritize its DL-installation.

Frankly, it's not rocket science. I'm not a tech-guy but I know it can work, I've seen how the games are packaged. Ther's nothing impending Nintendo to try to include such a feature. It's not about power, it's about tools.

I noticed in a thread last week that had some pictures of Sim City and people were shocked at how small the cities were. Obviously everyone in the official threads knew, but if you weren't actually looking for Sim City info you may not have actually stumbled upon a picture.

With that in mind I made a video last night of how long it takes to install Punch Out!, a 36mb game. If you haven't seen how slow the Wii U OS is you're in for a shocking treat.

http://youtu.be/RqlHIslONT4

I really dig my wii u but nintendo needs to fix this crap. And with reports of how slow the processor is I'm not sure how much they actually can :/

Edit: This is even better:

Excuse my ignorance, but the entire process took a bit more than a minute to complete. I mean, this justifies outrage and shock? Have we gotten so fucking entitled and impatient? Are people installing that many games that this is actually an issue? It's like 1:20 total time. How do you get through other aspects of life that require infinitely more patience? Anyway, it seems to have improved with OS updates.

Top Bottom