• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those who don't own a Wii U - These are the load times people complain about

Raide

My 360 takes that long to install some discs. I don't see a massive problem with the Wii U if it's in line with other installation times.

Really? You must have something wrong with your drive then because mine never takes that long. Usually about 10 mins or less for the majority of big games. Maybe the model and all the weird DVD drives they swapped around changes that.

Really? You must have something wrong with your drive then because mine never takes that long. Usually about 10 mins or less for the majority of big games. Maybe the model and all the weird DVD drives they swapped around changes that.

I have a slim now, previously an elite, they've both been like that. Some games install quite quickly, some take a long time.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yep, pretty shitty, dem loads. The multi-tasking loads, that is, the install ones are fine. But they really make the system feel weak and old. Aint no reason it should be performing that bad.

But luckily I don't really care, since I know they're gonna fix it. Lotta Nintendo firmwares I'm lookin forward to really. The two wu ones for loading, a 3DS one to integrate Miiverse (fingers crossed), gettin dat eshop website, integrating all these services. It's kinda fun to have the systems before they make them better, easier to enjoy the upgrades if you're comin off something shitty. I like feeling/watching them grow.

Sandfox

This will probably be solved with the two patches. If they say that the patches are going to focus on the speed then I would expect them to be reduced for sure. The things people should really be wondering about is what else Nintendo is going to focus on with the patches since they could easily miss something else people want.

Thoraxes

It's a 36 megabyte game. It should install in a blink. I don't know if a WiiU game takes extrapolationally longer, but then again I can't understand how LEGO City Undercover is a 19GB download.

I just treat it like I do my PS3.

I leave to go make a sandwich while the games install.
So I decided to record my install of Punch-Out to compare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjhctSVtMLQ

Sorry the quality is god awful but you get the point.

That's pretty good. What kind of device are you installing it to? Just the internal memory?

heyf00L

The 3DS doens't install after downloading. Why does it even do that? Is it essentially unzipping?

Also, why is an NES game 36 MB?

Why is Punch Out! 36 MB in the first place is it also installing an emulator? HD Version? 30 more hours of content? Why is it that big for an NES game?

Bog

Junior Ace
Ever tried installing something on the PS3 while downloading something else? Yeah, they all have their problems, people.

Mogwai

The thing that strikes me most about the Wii U's slow OS is that it has to load the options menu for around 5 seconds. That's something that would have been acceptable maybe 10 years ago.

Oersted

Yes. Sony already announced the feature. And it was rumored to be part of the next Xbox before Sony announced it. They're not the first to do it. Blizzard has been doing it for years.

And if a company announces something it will be there day 1, working perfectly fine.

kinggroin

Banned
Miiverse loading being almost completely dependant on Nintendo's servers, means I've used it FAR less than I initially did at launch thanks to more load and longer loading.

Honestly, service wise, the system is a complete abomination with zero redeemable qualities at the moment. I also hate that the main interface to control is located on the touch display while the alternate view is on the TV.

I'd rather be able to navigate the channels via buttons and d-pad, and have wara wara plaza controlled via touch.

VanWinkle

The thing that strikes me most about the Wii U's slow OS is that it has to load the options menu for around 5 seconds. That's something that would have been acceptable maybe 10 years ago.

Are you talking about the settings? I just timed that today. It took over 20 seconds to load the settings.

Miiverse loading being almost completely dependant on Nintendo's servers, means I've used it FAR less than I initially did at launch thanks to more load and longer loading.

Honestly, service wise, the system is a complete abomination with zero redeemable qualities at the moment. I also hate that the main interface to control is located on the touch display while the alternate view is on the TV.

I'd rather be able to navigate the channels via buttons and d-pad, and have wara wara plaza controlled via touch.

Umm..you know you can just press the button on the top right of the touch screen and do exactly that, right?

Yep, it is a really poorly made Operating System. It feels like they got a bunch of small teams to make the different menu items as separate applications, and then bolt them onto the home screen. I'm not sure how much the updates will improve it, it really is quite annoying.

pixlexic

Banned
What are you trying to say? I'm not sure what the connection would have to do with the install process.

Your install was faster, but that could vary from game to game.

I'm more concerned that the download was as slow as it was. What connection are you on?

most of that time is probably connecting to the server and getting verification.

Also I want to add that I am using an external drive. and pointing towards the explanation I did earlier that can greatly increase the install time.

I am curious if the OP had an external drive or not.

edit: also I never knew yotube was such a pain to set up on a phone!

The speed of the OS never bothered me at all, I dont even think its bad to be honest, now starting Lego City, thats another thing.

i've said this before and i'll say this again but why oh why would anyone use system settings as an example? how often does anyone use it? once every 6 months maybe?

spannicus

I am afraid to hook up my Wii U and play CoD because of the system updates and software updates. Playing my Wii U is fun but waiting for it to DL updates is worst than dial up. I'm dead ass serious this shit is terrible. Nintendo gimmie me monies back.

VanWinkle

The speed of the OS never bothered me at all, I dont even think its bad to be honest, now starting Lego City, thats another thing.

It is bad, though, and I think that is objective. It's worse than about every other operating system out there at many things in terms of speed.

pixlexic

Banned
I am afraid to hook up my Wii U and play CoD because of the system updates and software updates. Playing my Wii U is fun but waiting for it to DL updates is worst than dial up. I'm dead ass serious this shit is terrible. Nintendo gimmie me monies back.

they download in the background.you dont have to wait.

That... um... uh... Er...

...HOW!? The Wii didn't have this issue. The 3DS didn't have this issue. So how on earth does the Wii U, a much more powerful console than both of those, have 30 second load times just for the freaking options menu?

The 3DS was like a preview. I mean, they fixed most of it with updates, but the 3DS is still painfully slow when trying to boot back to the Home menu from a DS game. It's quicker to turn the system off and on again to get there. =\

spannicus

they download in the background.you dont have to wait.
Yeah I know just wondered why its so annoyingly slow. when I first got it I thought it was because everyone was downloading the updates but its the same every time for me at least. Hopefully in April the speed will pick up.

jett

D-Member
I just treat it like I do my PS3.

I leave to go make a sandwich while the games install.

That's pretty good. What kind of device are you installing it to? Just the internal memory?

That's not pretty good. That's fucking pathetic. It's 30MB.

Wait, people are really complaining about 2-3 minutes of installation? I just installed it right now and it took me 23 seconds, even if it had taken 5 minutes I really would not have cared that much. Calm down, 2-3 minutes is not a long time and to see so many complain about it is just laughable.

The loading times on the other hand while better than launch still need some improvement. Btw, the WiiU does download in the background for those who think they can't play games while it downloads.

Top Bottom