• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those who don't own a Wii U - These are the load times people complain about

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I remember this being said when Nintendo was introducing an account system. If they want the benefit of the doubt, they need to start earning it.

And yet you take for granted that everything Sony announced is 100% confirmed to be real even after all the bullshit promises they made at E3 2006. Something's fishy here,,,

trixx

I said this on miiverse and I am going to say it again. If you bout a Wii u then you are a sucker. Everything about this launch is dreadful. The best thing to do is wait for the inevitable price drop/bundling during holiday season and influx of games

You are missing NOTHING if you don't have this console. Waiting for those ambassador games.

Sandfox

And yet you take for granted that everything Sony announced is 100% confirmed to be real even after all the bullshit promises they made at E3 2006. Something's fishy here,,,

His real complaint is that downloads aren't tied to accounts which IIRC Nintendo never promised to add so even then he's kinda wrong.

I feel like this has been made a little better with some of the recent updates.
And those videos OP posted aren't really that good of examples. 2 minutes? is that really worth complaining about?

nampad

Thank you. I've read that it is slow but didn't think it was that slow.
I hate it when my tech gadgets are stuck or the OS/internet is slow. This would drive me mad.

markot

Banned
I said this on miiverse and I am going to say it again. If you bout a Wii u then you are a sucker. Everything about this launch is dreadful. The best thing to do is wait for the inevitable price drop/bundling during holiday season and influx of games

You are missing NOTHING if you don't have this console. Waiting for those ambassador games.

Yes. Telling those people on miiverse not to buy the consoles they bought is a smart idea.

Even though the load times suck, at least it's just the initial load up screen that's slow. I'd rather have the app have a longer initial load up than be ungodly slow while I'm actually using it.

ksamedi

Just downloaded and installed punch out and it was super fast. Installed in like 2 seconds. Weird it takes so long with others.

Darryl

Banned
i only noticed lag on the day i bought the console because i was fiddling with the settings menu, making my Mii, checking all the eShop knobs, and trying to adjust everything for future viewing.

i can now go from boot to doing anything i want with little lag. i really can't understand the problems some people seem to find with this.

i've said this before and i'll say this again but why oh why would anyone use system settings as an example? how often does anyone use it? once every 6 months maybe?

i think i used my system settings a grand total of 1 time on the original Wii. i've only checked it out on Wii U out of curiosity, didn't actually need to use it for anything because it sets up internet for you on initial boot.

Bog

Junior Ace
Except it‘s 6 years later.

Except this slowness is about inefficiencies in the OS, not raw power (or they wouldnt be able to patch it next month). Just like on the PS3 in that case.

I have all 3 consoles (because who wouldn't?), and my life has never been so negatively affected by the Wii U as to have to post about it.

Just watched both vids in the first post..and that's really slow.
sorry but 1min50 to install 36mb is way too much regardless of whatever securities they have in place.

Can't wait till the update comes, than we won't have to deal with the 'slow OS' anymore and we can finally be at piece :)

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

We already had an update on speeding up loading times between aps and starting menu. There's only so much that can be done.

Better to have low expectations then high at this point.

AzaK

Can't wait till the update comes, than we won't have to deal with the 'slow OS' anymore and we can finally be at piece :)
Don't hope too much. The fact that it will require two updates, implying different solutions, to get both loading of apps and going back to Wii U menu makes me wonder what's up. If it was purely something like a slow Filesystem, then fixing that would help everything.

The loadtimes are really a drag and offputting. THey make me want to quit the wiiU often times. Especially since we're all used to the speed of tablets now.

MarkusRJR

My biggest issue with the system

This is not acceptable
The biggest issue tbh is the hard locks. They should have been sorted out a week or less after launch and yet we still them. I had 2 just over the course of playing Monster Hunter 3 so far losing a decent amount of progress each time. I've had 10+ since launch and It really needs to be fixed.

My one friend who owns a Wii U has had more than me too, be he uses it a lot more.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Besides the problems with slowness, I'm wondering why this game is 36 MB in size to begin with. Isn't this the NES game?

its wrapped in its own emulator and wiiu functionality.

I figured as much, but even taking that into consideration, that's still a very large file size.

Why is punch out so freaking big is the bigger question.

Don't have it myself but I'm guessing it's from all the extra Wii U stuff like offtv gameplay and such.

it includes a full emulator

Does the emulator only get downloaded for the first NES game you purchase, or is it included with every NES game? Because the latter would be dumb.

The emulator is tweaked for every game separately. So it's the latter.

I've got to chime in on this. The Wii version of Punchout!! which also includes its own wrapper and emulator is 22 Blocks! Which is 2.75 MB.
How the hell did it suddenly grow nearly 15 times in size!?

Yeah, I wonder how that works, a game isn't the same as streaming a video. With games getting bigger and bigger in size.......amazing if it's indeed possible.

I wouldn't doubt Microsoft can come up with a system for it. Given that they can stream Office to your PC now, it's not a crazy idea.

JoeM86

I've got to chime in on this. The Wii version of Punchout!! which also includes its own wrapper and emulator is 22 Blocks! Which is 2.75 MB.
How the hell did it suddenly grow nearly 15 times in size!?

The Wii U emulators for Virtual Console games include a variety of other bits including control scheme editing, save-state creations etc. These features didn't exist in the Wii's version. All this is in the emulator rather than system wide due to the need for emulators to be edited to make sure the game works perfectly. Plus the manual.

The Wii U emulators for Virtual Console games include a variety of other bits including control scheme editing, save-state creations etc. These features didn't exist in the Wii's version. All this is in the emulator rather than system wide due to the need for emulators to be edited to make sure the game works perfectly. Plus the manual.

Most of those things wouldn't take more than a MB or two, considering it's mostly code. There's probably some high-res graphical assets, but even that seems to be a bit much to make it jump that much, unless they're being stupid and using BMP files or something.

Everything about the OS is way to slow! Microsoft has it down to a Science, while Sony's is faster than Nintendo's, it's still way to slow as well.

fritolay

What bothers me is when I see those 2005 Mii people on the system. It just looks old and not fun. Maybe they can cut all that crap and increase speeds.

Takao

Banned
Did Nintendo design this platform as a back up plan if the Wii failed back in 2006? Seems pretty slow for a device launched in 2012.

Taker666

System settings is pretty much the slowest thing to access on my system (and get out of).

..although after timing I'd say that the system settings in that second vid are around 50% slower to load than mine.

Robso

Wow, that is slow. I dread to think what it's like for retail games downloaded from the E-Shop.

Loved your one liners in the video also.

'Still don't have an estimation, you can figure it out Wii U, I know you can.'

'You serious? You're still going?'

System settings was fast on DS, slow on Wii, slow on 3DS, so I guess it follows that its slow on Wii U.

Miiverse loading being almost completely dependant on Nintendo's servers, means I've used it FAR less than I initially did at launch thanks to more load and longer loading.
Wait so you mean its like the days of dial up internet where a web page would not finish loading because it was waiting for the over hammered adserver to load some ads?

Does the emulator only get downloaded for the first NES game you purchase, or is it included with every NES game? Because the latter would be dumb.
The latter is smart from the perspective of if I change anything I don't need to retest all the games (if you've used PC based emulators you're bound to have experienced an update fixing some games but breaking others) but dumb if you ever wanted to add any functionality as you're going to have to do it anyway.

As for the sheer file size. On the Wii the home button was a separate app for every single piece of software (which also included the font for the text...Wii Gothic NTLG IIRC). I wonder if something similar is going on here like say, bundling a some sort of reader for the operations manual or the video encoding stuff for sending the signal to the Gamepad (they said in the Iwata asks the compression might lead to artefacts if you fade in/fade out things quickly so maybe these old games they are tweaking it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXDq3b4QpcQ

this is the slowness people are complaining about.

Gbmbw7Y.gif

Gbc games on 3ds aren't that large...

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Most of those things wouldn't take more than a MB or two, considering it's mostly code. There's probably some high-res graphical assets, but even that seems to be a bit much to make it jump that much, unless they're being stupid and using BMP files or something.

Now I'm really curious about what they've put in that huge file. Maybe someone will go through the trouble of copying a VC game to their PC and poking around at it a bit..

Cheech

Thank god my neighbor bought one of these turds, so I got to experience this for myself without splashing down.

You honestly have to go back to the Virtual Boy to find something so broken that Nintendo foisted on the public. No idea WTF they were thinking. It pretty much proves that nobody in the USA or Euro offices has any kind of say on product launches. It is inconceivable to me that NOA tested it and said, "Yes Iwata-San, this is a quality item and the NA consumer would not have any issues with hour long firmware updates."

I think Iwata/ Miyamoto have both intimated that launching the Wii U was the largest under-taking Nintendo has ever done, and that it was all they could do just to get it mostly ready by November 18th. The result is, the OS is poorly optimized, the Virtual Console hasn't been fully released yet, they had to ship the console without the eShop firmware pre-loaded, etc.

They said two firmware updates by summer would incrementally improve the load times and general OS lag. So there should be the first of the two planned firmware updates in the next couple weeks, then the other some time around/ after E3.

Thanks for your selfless public service mort, very informational

Is this doing anything for your vita hype?

In all seriousness I look forward to the OS being sped up.

RooMHM

I guess I'll never understand why manufacturers don't put SSD's in their consoles. Is it a SSD in the PS4? If not, thats stupid!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Thanks for your selfless public service mort, very informational

Is this doing anything for your vita hype?

In all seriousness I look forward to the OS being sped up.

This doesn't reek of animosity.........

I guess I'll never understand why manufacturers don't put SSD's in their consoles. Is it a SSD in the PS4? If not, thats stupid!

Not stupid, smart for keeping costs down. Do you own an SSD? My Samsung 840 Pro (256GB) SSD cost me 220. For the performance I get it was worth it but you could imagine how much the 512 or higher go for a reputable brand.

mAcOdIn

It sort of does have a SSD in it, a SSD is nothing but several flash chips together with a controller to form a larger drive, the Wii U has 8 or 32GB of flash depending on the model, so I mean, aside from size it could or could not be as fast as any SSD on the market. Whether the flash Nintendo used is fast or slow I have no idea, but even if Nintendo did use an honest to God SSD there's no guarantee that they'd have used fast flash memory on it. On the otherhand maybe the flash they're using is blazingly fast and just held back by their shitty os, maybe they have super fast flash chips and the controller's slow as shit? Who knows?

Anyways, the speed of the Wii U is really the primary reason I rarely use it with the gamepad's battery life being second. It's not that the Wii U is just slow, it's that it attempts to gun for a pick it up and play fast gamer with the exact opposite specifications that user needs. A casual gamer like that would find a higher capacity battery life important because they may go extended periods without playing it, they may play for 5 minutes and set the controller down just to find it dead the next day. Your iPad, Nexus, Kindle isn't going to die like that. Further, it doesn't really facilitate quick gaming sessions when it's that painfully slow to actually use. The Wii U has a great browser actually but I don't want to use it because I can't stand switching between shit on the Wii U so I just grab my phone and use that instead.

It's frustrating because I know the Wii U's not a total weak piece of shit but you sure as hell wouldn't know that from using the Wii U because it sure as hell feels like a weak piece of shit. I haven't owned a device as slow as the Wii U since my Blackberry Pearl days.

It's really weird because, at the moment I'm all digital on the Wii U sans Nintendo World and most of the games I have actually load faster than I can get into my System Menu. That's crazy! So it's surely a software thing but it leaves such a sour taste in my mouth in this day and age.

King_Moc

Banned
I downloaded Punch Out last night and it took seconds. The installation part was literally about 2 seconds. Are you installing to a hard drive from the 1960's?

The OS in general is slow as hell, but that games download and installation most certainly wsn't.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I think Iwata/ Miyamoto have both intimated that launching the Wii U was the largest under-taking Nintendo has ever done, and that it was all they could do just to get it mostly ready by November 18th. The result is, the OS is poorly optimized, the Virtual Console hasn't been fully released yet, they had to ship the console without the eShop firmware pre-loaded, etc.

They said two firmware updates by summer would incrementally improve the load times and general OS lag. So there should be the first of the two planned firmware updates in the next couple weeks, then the other some time around/ after E3.

Yeah, it's pretty apparent they were completely unprepared for going HD and releasing the Wii U. Any word on whether the TVii app is still coming?

Boss Man

it's probably because of his internet connection. Miiverse must really slowdown the OS with all the messages it show. I hope the next OS update will help those people.
This makes no sense. I assume this is the way Nintendo thinks about these things as well.

Top Bottom